Our coach’s mentality doesn’t reflect the Nigerian mindset

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Goalgetter
Egg
Egg
Our coach’s mentality doesn’t reflect the Nigerian mindset

Post by Goalgetter »

Guys we all saw a clip of Pinnick talking to the boys on the eve of the Croatia match - he talked about the Nigerian spirit, bravery etc. But it looks like he (Pinnick) hired a coach (Rhor) that doesn’t buy into or at least understand th Nigerian way of thinking - bravery etc. if Rhor did he wouldn’t be harping about our FIFa ranking (knowing fully well that the ranking is very Eurocentric). He wouldn’t be making statements about how Croatian players play for big clubs. He wouldn’t say a team of professional footballers are at the world cup to learn, instead of compete like everyone else there. Something is fundamentally wrong guys. What is Pinnick saying about the coach’s comments and attitude? The guy comes across as a typical old-school Eurocentric German who belongs to the school of thought that the African man is always inferior. He will cite FIFA ranking and Euro quarterfinals appearance after a loss to Iceland. The Argentina match is a forgone conclusion. Clearly Nigeria’s World Cup ended before the players even set foot on the field.
Are you saying that things you do not know, do not exist, just because you do not know that they exist?
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Our coach’s mentality doesn’t reflect the Nigerian minds

Post by Tbite »

I don't want to accept it but I agree.

Something is wrong with rohr's head.

Who journeys thousands of kilometres, sustains the most serious of journeys just to learn?
What are clubs for? Academies? Friendlies?

Who goes to the wc without a target. The man owes the whole nation an apology.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Even Pinnick speech sef dey inferiority complex.... It was based on the fact Croatia had better individual players based on clubs etc.

Secondly, Pinnick is said to have joked with the 1st Vice President that this team is for 2024 not surprised Rohr has the same mentality.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Who hired the coach?
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

How come most of you have just noticed this glaring weakness with our German coach. I have been hammering on this many months ago. Nobody listen. Even some forumites insulted me . A stich time saves nine. Every opportunity the guy has he will remind us how inferior we are. Idiots like John 12 helped him to pervade inferiority complex story. Now there is nothing we can do about it . A stich in time save nine . The penchant for to be expedient by most of our fans was most horrible weakness that confront us today.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

This thread is like a repeat of what has been said in so many other threads, in so many ways and trumpeted to high heavens.

It is obvious Rohr is angling for a good excuse to get an extension with a subpar performance.

Unfortunately for him, we had a local coach who took us to the last world cup and took us to the round of 16.

He has no excuse not to get us into the quarters at least. Either that or he should book his next flight to Berlin and send in his resignation.

That will be the honorable thing to do.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

fabio wrote:Even Pinnick speech sef dey inferiority complex.... It was based on the fact Croatia had better individual players based on clubs etc.

Secondly, Pinnick is said to have joked with the 1st Vice President that this team is for 2024 not surprised Rohr has the same mentality.
Croatia have better players than us. I can't think of any Nigerian player (maybe Vic Mo) who would make the Barca/Madrid squad.

Yes, the club you play for is an indicator of quality.
http://www.naijiant.com/
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

cic old boy wrote:
fabio wrote:Even Pinnick speech sef dey inferiority complex.... It was based on the fact Croatia had better individual players based on clubs etc.

Croatia have better players than us. I can't think of any Nigerian player (maybe Vic Mo) who would make the Barca/Madrid squad.

Not necessarily the case for sub-Saharan African players, because it comes down to factors in the international transfer of players, including luck, as well as the club/manager of the player in Europe and how they interpret the specific skill sets of the player.

Gbenga Okunowo once played for Barca. While he's a talented player, you would be mistaken to rank him wrt the SE as high as his club would've suggest.

Ultimately, I see it as an important item on a Nigerian player's resume. But I would definitely need more than that to come to a definitive conclusion.

You have to try and understand the game a little deeper than European orthodoxy...
Last edited by txj on Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

cic old boy wrote:

The V. Moses that plays for Nigeria won’t make Barca bench!! :curse:
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

txj wrote:

Not necessarily the case for sub-Saharan African players, because it comes down to factors in the international transfer of players, including luck, as well as the club/manager of the player in Europe and how they interpret the specific skill sets of the player.

Gbenga Okunowo once played for Barca. While he's a talented player, you would be mistaken to rank him wrt the SE as high as his club would've suggest.

Ultimately, I see it as an important item on a Nigerian player's resume. But I would definitely need more than that to come to a definitive conclusion.

You have to try and understand the game a little deeper than European orthodoxy...
An "indicator" means it provides info on the quality of a player, but not everything you need to know.

If you are holding down a regular spot for the best teams in the world, you must be very good. They are not in the business of fielding players that would lead to a drop in quality, esp as they have the resources to buy the best.

A sub-Saharan African player at he beginning of his career may not be at a top club, but he will end up there sooner rather than later if he is top quality. Gbenga Okunowo was at Barca b/c he showed potential to be a top player, but he wasn't able to deliver for a variety of reasons, including injuries.

Modric and Rakitic are among the best midfielders in the world (top 10). It is why they are at Real/Barca. We don't have players at those clubs b/c our boys are not good enough. When we had West, Finidi, Oliseh and co, they played for top clubs. And football then was not as globalised as it is now.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

cic old boy wrote:
txj wrote:

An "indicator" means it provides info on the quality of a player, but not everything you need to know.

If you are holding down a regular spot for the best teams in the world, you must be very good. They are not in the business of fielding players that would lead to a drop in quality, esp as they have the resources to buy the best.

A sub-Saharan African player at he beginning of his career may not be at a top club, but he will end up there sooner rather than later if he is top quality. Gbenga Okunowo was at Barca b/c he showed potential to be a top player, but he wasn't able to deliver for a variety of reasons, including injuries.

Modric and Rakitic are among the best midfielders in the world (top 10). It is why they are at Real/Barca. We don't have players at those clubs b/c our boys are not good enough. When we had West, Finidi, Oliseh and co, they played for top clubs. And football then was not as globalised as it is now.
The point is that you do not necessarily have to have all your players in top clubs for them to have the qualities to perform at a high level. We need to get out of that mindset. While it is an important indicator, it is just ONE indicator.

The eurocentric view that club profile IS THE indicator, IMO doesn't reflect the reality of the African player...

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

You guys are delusional and full of crap. Maybe he should have turned to a prayer warrior and bring a "man of God" to blow smoke up their azz that they will win because he spoke to God on their behalf to reflect your Nigerian "mindset". Thankfully the coaches are focusing on why we lost the game so they can fix it and not all these cockamamie theories.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

txj wrote:
The point is that you do not necessarily have to have all your players in top clubs for them to have the qualities to perform at a high level. We need to get out of that mindset. While it is an important indicator, it is just ONE indicator.

The eurocentric view that club profile IS THE indicator, IMO doesn't reflect the reality of the African player...
I said it is "an" indicator and you are arguing it is not "THE" indicator! If you are playing for Madrid it is an indicator that you are very good. If you are playing in the Albanian league, it is an indicator that your level is not that high. Yes, there are good players in Albania, but they don't stay there for long if they are really good.

The reality of an African player is the reality of a globalised game. Any Nigerian midfielder as good as Modric or Rakitic would be snapped up by a top club in no time. These people are not as inefficient as the NFF. Who wants to spend £80m on Modric if you can buy someone of his quality for a lot less? The majority of Nigerians playing in backwater leagues are doing so b/c that is their level.
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Anyway for an African player to get into a team here you have to be really good
Oya back to the matter
open and close
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

cic old boy wrote:

Ndidi would. Beyond a shadow of a doubt.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

I have to agree with txj, with Mexico and Switzerland haven proved the point that
club affiliations does not sum up the quality of a national team. Another proof is the Icelanders
holding off a 'loaded' Argentine squad.
Football matches are not a linear process, else teams can be anointed and fans would
not be watching as there will be no surprises.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

cic old boy wrote:
txj wrote:

I said it is "an" indicator and you are arguing it is not "THE" indicator! If you are playing for Madrid it is an indicator that you are very good. If you are playing in the Albanian league, it is an indicator that your level is not that high. Yes, there are good players in Albania, but they don't stay there for long if they are really good.

The reality of an African player is the reality of a globalised game. Any Nigerian midfielder as good as Modric or Rakitic would be snapped up by a top club in no time. These people are not as inefficient as the NFF. Who wants to spend £80m on Modric if you can buy someone of his quality for a lot less? The majority of Nigerians playing in backwater leagues are doing so b/c that is their level.
The path for an African player is much longer and more prone to dissapointment. Also players like Rakitic and Modric had constant club support in development since a young age. African players are bought on the cheap and as disposable players, there is little margin for error.

Take Kelechi Nwakali and his stalled career due to the mistake of signing for a club, who can't play him.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

marutimon wrote:
Ndidi would. Beyond a shadow of a doubt.
Yep, probably.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

"Our motto was play with the love of winning and not the fear of losing," Osorio said.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44513006
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

cic old boy wrote:

My man this is not lawn tennis or individual sports, it is a team sport.
Tell me which ONE Mexican player that will make Germany's 23 man squad or any Swiss player that will make Brazil's .........300 man squad.
Club you play for my foot......
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

marutimon wrote:
The path for an African player is much longer and more prone to dissapointment. Also players like Rakitic and Modric had constant club support in development since a young age. African players are bought on the cheap and as disposable players, there is little margin for error.

Take Kelechi Nwakali and his stalled career due to the mistake of signing for a club, who can't play him.
Ndidi went from an academy in Nigeria to Genk, 2 years at Genk and he is at Leicester. Probably a similar path as Rakitic - Basel, Schalke, Sevilla, Barca. Similar to Sadio Mane - 2 years each at Metz, Red Bull, Southampton, Liverpool. Good African players break through. It is the average ones that struggle.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

cic old boy wrote:
txj wrote:

Not true. There are external factors that impact the Nigerian player that sometimes (not always) mean good players never come out of such backwater leagues. Poor coaching for one; environment, etc.

The reality of an African player is the reality of a globalised game. Any Nigerian midfielder as good as Modric or Rakitic would be snapped up by a top club in no time.

Not based on the history of players who have gone from the domestic game to Europe. Chris Nwosu is a clear example; Look at Nwakali atm

These people are not as inefficient as the NFF. Who wants to spend £80m on Modric if you can buy someone of his quality for a lot less? The majority of Nigerians playing in backwater leagues are doing so b/c that is their level.

The international transfer market is not a very efficient distributor for talented Nigerian players, as the economic situation of these players mean they take whatever is available...There are too many factors outside of football that nonetheless impact this.

zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

1naija wrote:You guys are delusional and full of crap. Maybe he should have turned to a prayer warrior and bring a "man of God" to blow smoke up their azz that they will win because he spoke to God on their behalf to reflect your Nigerian "mindset". Thankfully the coaches are focusing on why we lost the game so they can fix it and not all these cockamamie theories.
Pinick the daft big-headed clown hired an expired football- coward for us....we got the check on Saturday.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo