Mexico's World Cup captain is accused of laundering money

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

lukemana
Egg
Egg
Mexico's World Cup captain is accused of laundering money

Post by lukemana »

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/fifa-wo ... ocid=ientp

The Mexico national team's captain who helped his side to an historic 1-0 victory over Germany on Sunday has been accused of laundering money on behalf of a drug lord and banned from playing in the US.

Rafael Marquez, currently on duty with his country at the World Cup in Russia, was sanctioned by the US Treasury last year for allegedly aiding a powerful Mexican drug trafficker - Raul Flores Hernandez.

The sanctions imposed on him included having his bank accounts in the US and Mexico frozen and being barred from playing football in the US.

Marquez denies the allegations that he and his associates held assets for Hernandez on behalf of his drug cartels - but has remained a part of the Mexico World Cup squad for Russia despite some consternation in his home country.

The defender became only the third man in history to play at a fifth career World Cup in his country's famous victory over Germany on Sunday.

The 39-year-old came on in the 74th minute of Mexico's 1-0 win, following in the footsteps of Germany's Lotthar Matthaeus and fellow Mexican Antonio Carbajal.

But his inclusion in the squad drew criticism in Mexico because of the money laundering scandal.

Several of the Mexican national team's sponsors have taken steps to distance themselves from the embattled footballer since the allegations were brought against him.

Marquez was pictured wearing a plain jersey in training this week while his teammates ran around him covered in corporate logos.

For now though, the legendary defender says he is just focused on the football.

'I feel in great shape for the rest of the tournament,' said Marquez, adding about Mexico's victory that 'back home no one thought that we could pull this off.

'We have a pessimist culture in Mexico, but we have a tough mentality.'

Marquez played his first World Cup in 2002 at the age of 23, and has played all four of Mexico's games in every campaign, all of which ended in the round of 16. Mexico's best-ever result was reaching the quarterfinals in 1970 and 1986.

Marquez played for Barcelona between 2003 and 2010 and plans to retire after the World Cup. He played his last two club seasons with Mexican team Atlas, where he started his professional career in 1996.

Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Mexico's World Cup captain is accused of laundering mone

Post by Undertaker »

Old News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
doctorollie
Egg
Egg

Post by doctorollie »

Alagba Prophet Lukemana, where have you been hiding? Did you watch what your 'Super' Eagles served on Saturday? Second round ticket is like a mirage at the moment bro. Really disappointing!
lukemana
Egg
Egg

Post by lukemana »

Undertaker wrote:Old News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is dated June 17 on MSN. Sorry if it was posted before!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Very old news. . Cartel etc
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
lukemana
Egg
Egg

Post by lukemana »

doctorollie wrote:Alagba Prophet Lukemana, where have you been hiding? Did you watch what your 'Super' Eagles served on Saturday? Second round ticket is like a mirage at the moment bro. Really disappointing!
Baba mi, I could not watch the game. Last week was the Convention of the USA/Canada Agbo Jesu Sub-Conference (of which I am the General Secretary). I was involved in the preparation and many activities during the events. It ended last night.

However, I slumped on my chair when my son came to inform me of the score. He spoiled my day (lol).

Hey, may be we shall rebound. I pray for the best!

Cheers!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...this old news my friend. You have Nigerian authorities laundering money all across Europe and the USA. Abeg go fix your team.
lukemana
Egg
Egg

Post by lukemana »

mcal wrote:...this old news my friend. You have Nigerian authorities laundering money all across Europe and the USA. Abeg go fix your team.
which Team, my broda?
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

lukemana wrote:
doctorollie wrote:Alagba Prophet Lukemana, where have you been hiding? Did you watch what your 'Super' Eagles served on Saturday? Second round ticket is like a mirage at the moment bro. Really disappointing!
Baba mi, I could not watch the game. Last week was the Convention of the USA/Canada Agbo Jesu Sub-Conference (of which I am the General Secretary). I was involved in the preparation and many activities during the events. It ended last night.

However, I slumped on my chair when my son came to inform me of the score. He spoiled my day (lol).

Hey, may be we shall rebound. I pray for the best!

Cheers!
What happened to your prophesy or was it a prediction of the SE?

Mourinho and a famous pig seemed to back Naija too.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu