Tunisia 1 vs 2 England

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Tunisia 1 vs 2 England

Post by danfo driver »

GREENWHITEGREEN wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
oloye wrote:
ElHadary wrote:If I see an African team trying to out jump a European team for a jump ball one more time I'm going to bonkers.

STOP GIVING THESE TREES FREE SET PIECES AND CORNERS
A number of African players are poor aerially....some are even afraid to head the ball.
I noticed this in secondary school. Many of my classmates were AFRAID to head the ball. Some will even duck, when the ball came in from a corner or freekick. I think this is a deeper problem.
Those same classmates are probably now professional footballers in Malta.
I went to a top private school. :D Many of them are now doctors, lawyers, engineers and founders of startups. :taunt:

But on a serious note, I get you bro. Its a disappointment...because as young kids, many Africans were more interested in tiki taka... and didn't learn or accept the responsibilities of professionalism. By the time most Africans start to learn those basics, they are already in their early 20s.

I dont even think i have energy to be angry anymore. I am just tired. :(
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Samora Machel wrote:
GREENWHITEGREEN wrote:
oloye wrote:This issue of being poor at defending set pieces is just born out of laziness. Nothing more, sheer laziness. When defenders start to grab players I see laziness.
What about knowing when to jump at the right time or jumping as high as your opponent?
This is what I don't get. A corner by rights should favour the defenders. You just need to get your head on the ball and not really worry about placing it like the opposing striker needs to. Just jump high and head the ball strongly damn it
Chief, positioning, timing of your jump, judgement of the flight of the ball, these are very important. Heading is like rebounding in basketball--you take your position, block out your opponent, watch the flight of the ball and time your jump. There is an strong element of intelligence involved, some of which comes from training and practice. You practice, practice, practice and practice again defending set pieces, and for God's sake, you don't leave the other team's penalty box assassin unmarked.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

England proud record of not losing to any African side intact tonight!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Goldleaf wrote:
oloye wrote:
ElHadary wrote:If I see an African team trying to out jump a European team for a jump ball one more time I'm going to bonkers.

A number of African players are poor aerially....some are even afraid to head the ball.
Oloye,

If they are that afraid of the incoming corner kicks, can they not place a man in front of the corner kick taker just to obscure his view and distract him and if the kick is low enough, he may even head it away?

Your answer pls?
You are required to give some distance...the distance is enough for someone who is good with delivery to still whip in it. The big problem with defending a cross or corner whipped into the box is that you have so many activities going on around you. That is why I don buy this man to man marking at corner kick, it distracts you from trying to get the ball. The only person trying to get the ball in man to man marking is the opponent. You cannot judge the flight of the ball while also trying to watch your man, it is just not possible.

Do the zonal position the best headers of the ball in key areas. In man to man marking all that is needed sometimes is to drag the good headers out of position. Case in point Balogun being dragged away in our match with England.

Truth is a good delivery of the ball will cause mayhem,a good delivery comes in fast , the keeper is not sure to come or not and all that is needed is just a slight touch. You just need people who can read the flight of the ball, not afraid of clash of heads and definitely with good spring in their legs.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Coach wrote:@Tx, nno! How many numbers = strength (all going home first round?). It’s all on Senegal.
Its data analytics according to Prof Pulis: the more stuff you squeeze into the mixer, the greater the likelihood of juice on the other end...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

airwolex wrote:
Samora Machel wrote:
GREENWHITEGREEN wrote:
oloye wrote:This issue of being poor at defending set pieces is just born out of laziness. Nothing more, sheer laziness. When defenders start to grab players I see laziness.
What about knowing when to jump at the right time or jumping as high as your opponent?
This is what I don't get. A corner by rights should favour the defenders. You just need to get your head on the ball and not really worry about placing it like the opposing striker needs to. Just jump high and head the ball strongly damn it
Not when you have somebody that can deliver accurately to a zone (Modric) and another who is good in the air and whose movement is nimble (Mandujic) in that case a poor defensive side is in big trouble. Give a side like that 5 corners and they will threaten every single time.
Football IQ, the unstated issue. Look at a player like Mandzukic--low balling skills, but high football IQ, great knowledge of where the deadly spaces are in a penalty box, accurate header of the ball, great decision making in the danger zone. Would he make it in Nigeria where we appreciate dribblers and forget that goalscoring is the aim of the game and the most difficult thing to do on the field?

Watching Tunisia today, you can see them make a bad decision even before they make it: there will be a wide open man on the other side of the field, and instead of switching the point of attack like European teams would do, they pass into the crowd of players and the opposition players easily get the ball. My TV don taya for me: I keep yelling at it," PASS THE BALL TO THE MAN ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FIELD! PASS THE FREAKING BALL!"
Curve whiz
Egg
Egg

Post by Curve whiz »

oloye wrote:
Goldleaf wrote:
oloye wrote:

Oloye,

If they are that afraid of the incoming corner kicks, can they not place a man in front of the corner kick taker just to obscure his view and distract him and if the kick is low enough, he may even head it away?

Your answer pls?
You are required to give some distance...the distance is enough for someone who is good with delivery to still whip in it. The big problem with defending a cross or corner whipped into the box is that you have so many activities going on around you. That is why I don buy this man to man marking at corner kick, it distracts you from trying to get the ball. The only person trying to get the ball in man to man marking is the opponent. You cannot judge the flight of the ball while also trying to watch your man, it is just not possible.

Do the zonal position the best headers of the ball in key areas. In man to man marking all that is needed sometimes is to drag the good headers out of position. Case in point Balogun being dragged away in our match with England.

Truth is a good delivery of the ball will cause mayhem,a good delivery comes in fast , the keeper is not sure to come or not and all that is needed is just a slight touch. You just need people who can read the flight of the ball, not afraid of clash of heads and definitely with good spring in their legs.
Oga Oloye, it also help that we stop conceding unnecessary free-kicks. Haba? It’s like ‘àfise’. I can understand when it is a last ditch tackle and there’s no choice but when it’s just lazy defending like in Tunisia case today, it’s just annoying.

Balogun and Ekong also have that lazy habit. Even after they have cut off the ball, they wouldn’t decide on time to hit the ball out one-time for a throw-in as far as possible, but will rather allow it to roll out for CK.
Why are we no longer producing big, strong and tall defenders like before. Keshi and Uche would cut the ball off the run of the attacker, swerve and play it to the feet of their winger in one swift movement. Now, all these abroad trained defenders can’t even dribble cleanly or pass a 40 yarder.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

airwolex wrote:Another thing is that Euro teams have one or two players whose corner kicks are super deadly. With us VM looks like he can have 1000 corners and they all go to 1000 different places.
And Moses is the guy taking corners in our training sessions. No wonder we can't defend them, because we're not getting adequate practice.

God help us! :lol: :lol:
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Curve whiz
Egg
Egg

Post by Curve whiz »

ohsee wrote:
airwolex wrote:
Samora Machel wrote:
GREENWHITEGREEN wrote:
Not when you have somebody that can deliver accurately to a zone (Modric) and another who is good in the air and whose movement is nimble (Mandujic) in that case a poor defensive side is in big trouble. Give a side like that 5 corners and they will threaten every single time.
Football IQ, the unstated issue. Look at a player like Mandzukic--low balling skills, but high football IQ, great knowledge of where the deadly spaces are in a penalty box, accurate header of the ball, great decision making in the danger zone. Would he make it in Nigeria where we appreciate dribblers and forget that goalscoring is the aim of the game and the most difficult thing to do on the field?

Watching Tunisia today, you can see them make a bad decision even before they make it: there will be a wide open man on the other side of the field, and instead of switching the point of attack like European teams would do, they pass into the crowd of players and the opposition players easily get the ball. My TV don taya for me: I keep yelling at it," PASS THE BALL TO THE MAN ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FIELD! PASS THE FREAKING BALL!"
Me too. I taya. I shout so tay my Madam ban me go my study say I dey disturb the peace of the house folks :lol: :lol:
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

The YeyeMan wrote:
airwolex wrote:Another thing is that Euro teams have one or two players whose corner kicks are super deadly. With us VM looks like he can have 1000 corners and they all go to 1000 different places.
And Moses is the guy taking corners in our training sessions. No wonder we can't defend them, because we're not getting adequate practice.

It's really frustrating. Even Sweden's Larsson, who is half the player that VM delivers a superior ball. I never expect anything from our corners or freekicks. I actually wish we played it all short.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Football IQ, the unstated issue. Look at a player like Mandzukic--low balling skills, but high football IQ, great knowledge of where the deadly spaces are in a penalty box, accurate header of the ball, great decision making in the danger zone.
The guy is a nightmare. He was on to almost every cross. That's why Ekong started wrestling him.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

airwolex wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

It's really frustrating. Even Sweden's Larsson, who is half the player that VM delivers a superior ball. I never expect anything from our corners or freekicks. I actually wish we played it all short.
I was thinking about this. Do we practice short corner routines? Do we take them quickly to catch the opponent cold? Nah, we're just very predictable.

It's 3 and out, folks!
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Tunisia 1 vs 1 England

Post by maceo4 »

green4life wrote:
maceo4 wrote:Glad the better team won.
You this man sef. I tire for you. :mrgreen:
:rotf: Wetin now? I’m not a fan of negative football, I prefer the team that goes out to win.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Oguleftie wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
theYemster wrote:So it's safe to assume Tunisia didn't learn how not to defend corner kicks from the Nigerians. That second England goal is exactly like the first goal Nigeria conceded except this time the attacker hit the target without the aid of a defender's leg deflecting it in.

Has one region ever had three teams concede injury time goals in the same world cup? :?
We don't do details, communication on the pitch is often lacking, can have 10 guys get it right but we always have 1 player asleep at the switch.

CAF teams at WC fail to grasp that margins between success and failure are finite.

What is Ben Amor doing messing around near the corner flag knowing how poor we were at dealing with set pieces?

Time and again total inability to win the 1st ball, we don't execute the basics with the consistency required to win games at the WC.
Simply kick the ball out forward or kick it at the opponent leg for your throw in.
Still doesn't excuse why Kane was left all alone with enough time to order lunch and some. The one guy in the entire frickin stadium who shouldn't be left alone.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

The YeyeMan wrote:
airwolex wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

I was thinking about this. Do we practice short corner routines? Do we take them quickly to catch the opponent cold? Nah, we're just very predictable.

It's 3 and out, folks!
Honestly I am starting to think Rohr might be an issue. What's the use of that useless half assed long throw Ndidi delivers. It never comes to anything. Are they deliberately trying to give people hypertension? Ighalo is not going to win headers, neither is Obi or Iwobi. throw the dam thing on the floor and play.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

airwolex wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
airwolex wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

It's 3 and out, folks!
Honestly I am starting to think Rohr might be an issue. What's the use of that useless half assed long throw Ndidi delivers. It never comes to anything. Are they deliberately trying to give people hypertension? Ighalo is not going to win headers, neither is Obi or Iwobi. throw the dam thing on the floor and play.
I get the feeling they just do them and hope for the best.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

ohsee wrote:
oloye wrote:It is the rubbish we admire in African players that breed this kind of useless idiots. A defender does something fanciful around the box in Africa he is hailed...in Europe the coach will take him off until he learns not to give him heart attack.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
olooooooooye! Na you biko. :lol:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

airwolex wrote:Honestly I am starting to think Rohr might be an issue. What's the use of that useless half assed long throw Ndidi delivers. It never comes to anything. Are they deliberately trying to give people hypertension? Ighalo is not going to win headers, neither is Obi or Iwobi. throw the dam thing on the floor and play.
You're STARTING to think this? :lol: :lol:

Nna, he's our biggest problem although not the only one. But he's the source. He's downplayed Nigeria's chances, talked about us coming to the WC to "learn" :curse: and spoken how we're not expected to qualify. He thinks he's managing Gabon - he needs a reality check.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Tx, the problem is, they can’t get the juice to the mixer, they’re selling it for a fraction of the going rate on the roadside! The continents best by way of qualification arrived and all have been shat on by Europe’s pretenders. How many will be left come the end of this week?
Kendrick Lamar- DNA.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

txj wrote:
Coach wrote:@Tx, nno! How many numbers = strength (all going home first round?). It’s all on Senegal.
Its data analytics according to Prof Pulis: the more stuff you squeeze into the mixer, the greater the likelihood of juice on the other end...
This is another arguement I have always made. The more corner kicks and freekicks you concede the more likely you are to concede from set pieces. Most African teams play on the back foot for long spells of the game,the result is waves of corner kicks and freekicks from dangerous areas. If you concede 1goal after defending against 10 corner kicks, stats says you have not done badly. The problem is in the number of corners conceded!
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

I think we have to look at set pieces defending from another angle what is the probability of European teams conceding against African teams if they have to concede 10 corner kicks?

We need to address the stupidity of conceding stupid free kicks and corners

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

txj wrote:
Throw 'em in the old onion bag...The more the merrier...

Out of many, a seed might bear fruit.

Vegas baby!!!
Remember the African World Cup, home soil, sleeveless shirts, Mandela, Vuvuzela and all that? How did that go?...never gonna get it, not this time, no ya’ never gonna get it...!!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Coach wrote:
txj wrote:
Throw 'em in the old onion bag...The more the merrier...

Out of many, a seed might bear fruit.

Vegas baby!!!
Remember the African World Cup, home soil, sleeveless shirts, Mandela, Vuvuzela and all that? How did that go?...never gonna get it, not this time, no ya’ never gonna get it...!!!
Cus there wasn't enough in the mixer!

Its data analytics according to Prof Pulis.

Throw 'em in the mixer
and then throw another one
and another...

If two doesn't squirt juice, one surely will!!!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp