Mourinho Blasts: Mikel is Not a Number 10

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Mourinho Blasts: Mikel is Not a Number 10

Post by danfo driver »

cic old boy wrote:Borinho should shut the rass up. Mikel was a 10 until he turned him into a water carrier. Now, Mikel doesn't have the energy to be a water carrier.
I dont want to divert this thread. But the truth is that MKEL WAS NEVER A TEN! NEVER! It was a story told by people who had hidden agendas. In that youth world cup, one would argue that Isaac Promise was the 10. Although, SiaSia DOES NOT play with a 10 anyway. he loves his 4-2-4 with a 8 behind the main striker. That was the role SiaSia, himself, played when he was a player.

If people want to argue that Mikel was a deep lying playmaker next to Kaita, like Pirlo next to Gattusso/Ambrosini. Fine, we can agree on that. But a 10? he never was.

That said, this is not an argument, so I recognize that you and I do not share the same opinion. No need to respond or go into a long winded back and forth. I no fit! I am taya'ed! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Just thought I should mention, what I perceive as the truth.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

cic old boy wrote:
Chriskendo43 wrote:why can't Mikel go back to to his natural defensive position i'm just getting tired to watch him strolling around the field doing nothing
He is better off further away from our D with his poor workrate.
:D I was making that point to folks at my Sunday-Sunday game. You don't want Mikel anywhere near playing a DM for the Eagles. Or else what happened against England where Onazi gave an errant pass and Mikel was walking away in disgust will happen in every game.

Teams have figured that you press Mikel as soon as he receives the ball to get him to quickly give it up because he is our primary source of creative passes. So they press him knowing that you don't want him to have time on the ball.

Now imagine pressing him near our goal area and him turning it over. Instant offfense for the opposition.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Chriskendo43
Egg
Egg

Post by Chriskendo43 »

Thanks @ Oga CIC Mikel need to retire then
analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

Damunk wrote:
deanotito wrote:It’s true. Took me a while to accept but Mikel is no 10. It just doesn’t work
Lets look at some of the stats from the game according to FIFA

Distance Covered (Metres)
Mikel: 9,472 (3391 in possession)
Modric: 9,915 (4148 in possession)

Sprints
Mikel:19
Modric: 40

Delivery/Solo runs into Attacking third
Mikel: 5
Modric: 9

Max Speed km/hr
Mikel: 30.60
Modric: 31.97

Shots:
Mikel: 0
Modric: 1

Fouls Committed:
Modric: 3
Mikel: 1

Tackles suffered losing/not losing the ball
Modric: 0/1
Mikel: 0/2
Chief, can explain the objective of these stats. Heat map for both players will also be helpful.

if I am not mistaken, Modric started the gamed as a deep lying CM next to Ratikic (less freedom to roam) with Ramaric playing closer to Mandzukic. When Kovacic came on, Modric moved to a more advanced position. Mikel played more as the AM (or supposedly meant to be). Modric arguably being more effective in his deep role.. For someone who is meant to be the AM, Mikel spent too much time dropping deep without the legs to keep up with forward play.. That killed our offense as if left the forwards isolated.

IMO, no blame on Mikel as the coach put him in a position that negatively impacted our play (at least offensively). ANC win and 2014, Mikel played next to a high energy MF while someone else played AM. I strongly believe we have to revert back to that. At this level, Mikel can't be the AM..
Lampard: 101 goals and counting.......

64 GAMES UNBEATEN AT STAMFORD BRIDGE... A NEW RECORD IS SET.....
jb
Egg
Egg

Post by jb »

Haters of Mikel, slow up, Rohr got it all wrong. He left Mikel in that advanced role even though he knew that it is not working. All the coaches around the world agree that he got it wrong. My question therefore is, why was it difficult for him to figure it out and make very rapid adjustments. The truth is that there might be some fowl play involved. He needs to be investigated.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

it is kinda funny that all through qualifiers....Mikel had the pace to play AM, all of a sudden, he lost the pace.

the croatia, had nothing to do with Mikel except for Ndidi AND Etebo that sat back.....and that is not even the case, the simple truth is that Rohr got outsmarted by the croatian coach.

playing 4-2-4 is a masterstroke, but play that against Argentina they will lose and even iceland will beat them..... its one of those tricks you pull once, try it again and it will come back and bite you in the a......

also the team watching the argentina iceland match did not help......watching a game of football that you are emotionally invested in is draining

Next Mourinho will tell us the Kevin De Brunye is not good enough for Belgium let alone CITY
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
born2win
Egg
Egg

Post by born2win »

Ighalo cannot cope put Simy that has been playing in Serie A all season and was on hot form last 10 games...

***********************************Simy************************************

****************Moses**************************Iheanacho*****************

*************************************Iwobi************************************

*********************Ndidi***************************Etebo*******************

***Joel**************Balogun***************Ekong***************Ebuehi***

************************************Uzoho************************************
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

jb wrote:Haters of Mikel, slow up, Rohr got it all wrong. He left Mikel in that advanced role even though he knew that it is not working. All the coaches around the world agree that he got it wrong. My question therefore is, why was it difficult for him to figure it out and make very rapid adjustments. The truth is that there might be some fowl play involved. He needs to be investigated.
No-one knows the answer to your pertinent points, but one POV is widely held as a possibility: Mikel no gree.

If he was agreed with Rohr that he is to play solely in an advanced role, then Rohr might find it difficult to ask him to change that.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Ugbowo wrote:I don't have a problem with the way we started the match.

I have long accepted that Rohr wont start Ebuehi and he loves Idowu for whatever reasons.

The problem was when we were down we did not change our approach. Etebo has been praised to high heavens for his workrate and rightfully so but there were 3 occasions were Etebo did not trust himself to play a typical midfielder pass to an overlapping full back. That's criminal for a central midfielder. Mikel can do that. Iwobi and Moses also needed to start coming infield more to receive the ball and turn and face the Croats with Mikel dropping deep and the full backs bombing forward to fill the width vacated by Moses and Iwobi. We were starting to figure it out when Iwobi was taken off. Our attack DIED for real then.

If we stick with 4-2-3-1, Ehuehi has to come in to at least give the semblance of width on one flank and Etebo has to go into the more attacking position on the left. Mikel sits with Ndidi and Iwobi in front of them.

If we go 3-5-2, as much as it hurts to say, Etebo will have to start on the bench. Mikel and Ndidi with Iwobi in front will be the 3 mids with Etebo coming on for either Mikel or Iwobi later.

One more thing, if we are to score, Kelechi has to start. He just has to be on the field.
Thank you. That's what i pointed out in the other thread. I was disappointed by that. Later in teh 2nd half he did drive forward a lot more and took on more responsibility.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enyi wrote:it is kinda funny that all through qualifiers....Mikel had the pace to play AM, all of a sudden, he lost the pace.
Are you sure about that?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

danfo driver wrote: I dont want to divert this thread. But the truth is that MKEL WAS NEVER A TEN! NEVER! It was a story told by people who had hidden agendas. In that youth world cup, one would argue that Isaac Promise was the 10. Although, SiaSia DOES NOT play with a 10 anyway. he loves his 4-2-4 with a 8 behind the main striker. That was the role SiaSia, himself, played when he was a player.

If people want to argue that Mikel was a deep lying playmaker next to Kaita, like Pirlo next to Gattusso/Ambrosini. Fine, we can agree on that. But a 10? he never was.

That said, this is not an argument, so I recognize that you and I do not share the same opinion. No need to respond or go into a long winded back and forth. I no fit! I am taya'ed! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Just thought I should mention, what I perceive as the truth.
Mikel was the 10 in that team. Promise was a striker.
http://www.naijiant.com/
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

CIC, I think it’s the definition of 10 that’s confusing because from my observation Siasia played

Mikel. ... Keita..... in the middle

Abwo........
Isaac. Okoronkwo.....

Obasi
Mikel played CM in the tournament which can be translated as number 10 or even 6. Keita was the DM while Mikel was the CM. Promise played close to our striker in the role that Mikel played yesterday
Soccerfan00
Egg
Egg

Post by Soccerfan00 »

john12 wrote:CIC, I think it’s the definition of 10 that’s confusing because from my observation Siasia played

Abwo........
Isaac. Okoronkwo.....

Obasi

Mikel played CM in the tournament which can be translated as number 10 or even 6. Keita was the DM while Mikel was the CM. Promise played close to our striker in the role that Mikel played yesterday
:rotf:
Soccerfan00
Egg
Egg

Post by Soccerfan00 »

john12 is a nigerian who worships european leagues, ok i get it now, what a weirdo. :sad:
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Last edited by maceo4 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

cic old boy wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
So na Mourinho you wan blame for Mikel no longer being able to run? It is only delusional Nigerian fans who think a playmaker can perform at the World Cup effectively without legs.

Did you see how much running Dele Alli put in yesterday? Give that job to Kelechi Nwakali and see how many problems he would have posed for the Croatian defence.
Many playmakers couldn't run - Valderrama, Pirlo, Socrates, etc. You need to run more at DM. Dele Alli is a headless chicken. Nwakali should try and get into his Div 2 first.
Kpom.......and kpomest :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

zee wrote:
cic old boy wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
So na Mourinho you wan blame for Mikel no longer being able to run? It is only delusional Nigerian fans who think a playmaker can perform at the World Cup effectively without legs.

Did you see how much running Dele Alli put in yesterday? Give that job to Kelechi Nwakali and see how many problems he would have posed for the Croatian defence.
Many playmakers couldn't run - Valderrama, Pirlo, Socrates, etc. You need to run more at DM. Dele Alli is a headless chicken. Nwakali should try and get into his Div 2 first.
EPL is causing the miseducation of many Naijarians.

Na to play jambody football... put yourself about... get stuck in. Dem no dey appreciate from-me-to-you.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

john12 wrote:CIC, I think it’s the definition of 10 that’s confusing because from my observation Siasia played

Abwo........
Isaac. Okoronkwo.....

Obasi
So by this definition, Amokachi not Okocha was our "10" in 1994. For me, the number 10 is the creative attacking midfielder.
http://www.naijiant.com/
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Ayo, I'll bite.

Why didn't Croatia deserve the win over Nigeria? I am one of Croatia's most cynical critics, but felt we played well. We created many good chances, irrespective of not hitting the target. Some neat plays were over the crossbar or didn't complete nicely...like Kovacic deciding to weakly shoot 1v1 vs your goalie when he could have passed for Perisic for an easy goal.

We played the right tactics. Relying on defense in depth and possession. Avoiding isolation of defenders and exposure to speed. Even when Strinic and Vrsajko are actually very fast outside defenders. We respected perceived Nigerian strengths here and played accordingly. We had a lot of neat and close passing combinations, showing a bit more fluency than what Nigeria threw at us.

I also feel we had more gears we didn't have to engage. We had the right combination of player quality, tactics, and composure to methodically win the game. Don't get me wrong: I respect Nigeria and feel both of us can advance...as we too aren't out of the woods yet.

But I disagree that Croatia didn't deserve a win over Nigeria. For whatever that's worth.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Cellular wrote:
cic old boy wrote:
Chriskendo43 wrote:why can't Mikel go back to to his natural defensive position i'm just getting tired to watch him strolling around the field doing nothing
He is better off further away from our D with his poor workrate.
:D I was making that point to folks at my Sunday-Sunday game. You don't want Mikel anywhere near playing a DM for the Eagles. Or else what happened against England where Onazi gave an errant pass and Mikel was walking away in disgust will happen in every game.

Teams have figured that you press Mikel as soon as he receives the ball to get him to quickly give it up because he is our primary source of creative passes. So they press him knowing that you don't want him to have time on the ball.

Now imagine pressing him near our goal area and him turning it over. Instant offfense for the opposition.
So you are admitting that Mikel is being accommodated just like JJ said but you said he didn’t know what he was talking about.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Cellular wrote:
zee wrote:
cic old boy wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

EPL is causing the miseducation of many Naijarians.

Na to play jambody football... put yourself about... get stuck in. Dem no dey appreciate from-me-to-you.
Maybe your knowledge is dated since you named old players, the game has changed since the likes of Riquelme could stroll around the field. Please give us the names of those kinds of playmakers at this World Cup or in any top team.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Damunk wrote:
deanotito wrote:It’s true. Took me a while to accept but Mikel is no 10. It just doesn’t work
Lets look at some of the stats from the game according to FIFA

Distance Covered (Metres)
Mikel: 9,472 (3391 in possession)
Modric: 9,915 (4148 in possession)

Sprints
Mikel:19
Modric: 40

Delivery/Solo runs into Attacking third
Mikel: 5
Modric: 9

Max Speed km/hr
Mikel: 30.60
Modric: 31.97

Shots:
Mikel: 0
Modric: 1

Fouls Committed:
Modric: 3
Mikel: 1

Tackles suffered losing/not losing the ball
Modric: 0/1
Mikel: 0/2
The stats show clearly that Mikel’s detractors don’t know what they’re talking about, especially when you consider that he didn’t play the full 90 minutes. The worst you could say about Mikel is that he had a somewhat off day and even that wouldn’t be a completely fair statement. The entire team had an off day and Mikel was far from being the worst culprit :!:

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

mate wrote:Ayo, I'll bite.

Why didn't Croatia deserve the win over Nigeria? I am one of Croatia's most cynical critics, but felt we played well. We created many good chances, irrespective of not hitting the target. Some neat plays were over the crossbar or didn't complete nicely...like Kovacic deciding to weakly shoot 1v1 vs your goalie when he could have passed for Perisic for an easy goal.

We played the right tactics. Relying on defense in depth and possession. Avoiding isolation of defenders and exposure to speed. Even when Strinic and Vrsajko are actually very fast outside defenders. We respected perceived Nigerian strengths here and played accordingly. We had a lot of neat and close passing combinations, showing a bit more fluency than what Nigeria threw at us.

I also feel we had more gears we didn't have to engage. We had the right combination of player quality, tactics, and composure to methodically win the game. Don't get me wrong: I respect Nigeria and feel both of us can advance...as we too aren't out of the woods yet.

But I disagree that Croatia didn't deserve a win over Nigeria. For whatever that's worth.
Oh please don’t feed this guys self-serving disposition. Everything he says is designed to make a case for his preferred players. I suspect he makes quite a bit of money when certain players are featured :!:

Cheers.