Mourinho Blasts: Mikel is Not a Number 10

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Mourinho Blasts: Mikel is Not a Number 10

Post by kolinzo »

mate wrote:Ayo, I'll bite.

Why didn't Croatia deserve the win over Nigeria? I am one of Croatia's most cynical critics, but felt we played well. We created many good chances, irrespective of not hitting the target. Some neat plays were over the crossbar or didn't complete nicely...like Kovacic deciding to weakly shoot 1v1 vs your goalie when he could have passed for Perisic for an easy goal.

We played the right tactics. Relying on defense in depth and possession. Avoiding isolation of defenders and exposure to speed. Even when Strinic and Vrsajko are actually very fast outside defenders. We respected perceived Nigerian strengths here and played accordingly. We had a lot of neat and close passing combinations, showing a bit more fluency than what Nigeria threw at us.

I also feel we had more gears we didn't have to engage. We had the right combination of player quality, tactics, and composure to methodically win the game. Don't get me wrong: I respect Nigeria and feel both of us can advance...as we too aren't out of the woods yet.

But I disagree that Croatia didn't deserve a win over Nigeria. For whatever that's worth.
Mate, you beat us fair and square -with relative ease too! Nothing more to add.
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Mikel has responded to Mourinho by saying "I have been playing this role for the last two years and nobody complained"
There was more but I can't find the source Channels TV were quoting.

Personally, I'm not sure about Mikel's assertion that "nobody was complaining".
I did, for starters.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

kolinzo wrote:
mate wrote:Ayo, I'll bite.

Why didn't Croatia deserve the win over Nigeria? I am one of Croatia's most cynical critics, but felt we played well. We created many good chances, irrespective of not hitting the target. Some neat plays were over the crossbar or didn't complete nicely...like Kovacic deciding to weakly shoot 1v1 vs your goalie when he could have passed for Perisic for an easy goal.

We played the right tactics. Relying on defense in depth and possession. Avoiding isolation of defenders and exposure to speed. Even when Strinic and Vrsajko are actually very fast outside defenders. We respected perceived Nigerian strengths here and played accordingly. We had a lot of neat and close passing combinations, showing a bit more fluency than what Nigeria threw at us.

I also feel we had more gears we didn't have to engage. We had the right combination of player quality, tactics, and composure to methodically win the game. Don't get me wrong: I respect Nigeria and feel both of us can advance...as we too aren't out of the woods yet.

But I disagree that Croatia didn't deserve a win over Nigeria. For whatever that's worth.
Mate, you beat us fair and square -with relative ease too! Nothing more to add.
Mate shouldn't even be acknowledging that kind of nonsensical post Ayo made and routinely makes.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Cellular wrote:
Cally wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Cally wrote:
Cellular wrote:Suddenly Iwobi is the player to rescue SE inability to create chances?

Iwobi is the actual luxury. What you needed is a true winger to play that spot that Iwobi occupies.

The middle of our team is finally set. We did not allow any real chance on goal in the run of play.

The lazy approach to analyzing the game is to look at Mikel. I remind folks with very short memories is that Mikel didn't play in some of the friendlies where we had a full complement of players yet we hardly had a shot on goal. Rohr's team and tactics does not depend on a playmaker. That is obvious to people who care to pay attention. His teams go as far as VicMo can create from the flanks or as far as his full-backs can get involved in the offensive 3rd of the field. Game against Croatia was a typical example. His full-backs hardly joined in the attack. They hardly provided width. When your midfield combination neutralizes the opposing team's strength you begin now talk about folks who didn't provide offense. Offense was supposed to be provided from the flanks. That has always been the case with Rohr's teams.

Make the change you guys are asking for and watch the turnover rate increase. Watch the other team have more chances to go at our inexperienced Keeper. I would replace Iwobi with Musa. And bring him as a sub when he has had time to read the game and can be an impactful sub.

Ps., Arsenal fans can help me out here. What is the typical criticism of Iwobi's game? Isn't it his turnover rate?
You've had this obsession with Iwobi for a while now. Almost all your posts on the SE set up call for Iwobi to be dropped to the bench no matter the role he plays and how well or badly he plays. I've noticed the trend, so I don't regard your posts about Alex as objective. Go ahead and drop him for Musa...you must be a wonderful coach.
He plays a juvenile game. I am not a fan of juvenile game. I like players who play with discipline. He has a place on the team but not as a starter.
Your opinion, which you are entitled to. The people that play adult games have not delivered what the juvenile has delivered including the goal that sealed our qualification. Different strokes...
When you remove your Arsenal tinted glasses you will see I am saying the truth. When fans of Arsenal football club that are not fans of Iwobi critic his game it is because of bad belle. He scored that goal as a substitute. I never said he didn't belong on the team... but he is not a starter. He is more effective coming off the bench when he has had time to feel the pulse of the game.

On another note, in the last couple of outings we have said the same about VicMo when he at times plays like he is playing Choosin. He is another culprit in the debacle.

He (VicMo) should stay on his feet because he is quickly getting a reputation as a diver.
Thank you Rohr for the changes... personnel and formation. :thumb:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

danfo driver wrote:
cic old boy wrote:Borinho should shut the rass up. Mikel was a 10 until he turned him into a water carrier. Now, Mikel doesn't have the energy to be a water carrier.
I dont want to divert this thread. But the truth is that MKEL WAS NEVER A TEN! NEVER! It was a story told by people who had hidden agendas. In that youth world cup, one would argue that Isaac Promise was the 10. Although, SiaSia DOES NOT play with a 10 anyway. he loves his 4-2-4 with a 8 behind the main striker. That was the role SiaSia, himself, played when he was a player.

If people want to argue that Mikel was a deep lying playmaker next to Kaita, like Pirlo next to Gattusso/Ambrosini. Fine, we can agree on that. But a 10? he never was.

That said, this is not an argument, so I recognize that you and I do not share the same opinion. No need to respond or go into a long winded back and forth. I no fit! I am taya'ed! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Just thought I should mention, what I perceive as the truth.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Mikel must have a hidden agenda!
“I was playing as a No 10 before I went to Chelsea but [José] Mourinho converted me to a holding player,” Mikel says.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -world-cup
People just come here to peddle rubbish with confidence.
http://www.naijiant.com/
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

cic old boy wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
cic old boy wrote:Borinho should shut the rass up. Mikel was a 10 until he turned him into a water carrier. Now, Mikel doesn't have the energy to be a water carrier.
I dont want to divert this thread. But the truth is that MKEL WAS NEVER A TEN! NEVER! It was a story told by people who had hidden agendas. In that youth world cup, one would argue that Isaac Promise was the 10. Although, SiaSia DOES NOT play with a 10 anyway. he loves his 4-2-4 with a 8 behind the main striker. That was the role SiaSia, himself, played when he was a player.

If people want to argue that Mikel was a deep lying playmaker next to Kaita, like Pirlo next to Gattusso/Ambrosini. Fine, we can agree on that. But a 10? he never was.

That said, this is not an argument, so I recognize that you and I do not share the same opinion. No need to respond or go into a long winded back and forth. I no fit! I am taya'ed! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Just thought I should mention, what I perceive as the truth.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Mikel must have a hidden agenda!
“I was playing as a No 10 before I went to Chelsea but [José] Mourinho converted me to a holding player,” Mikel says.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -world-cup
People just come here to peddle rubbish with confidence.
I am surprised by your comment. I do not believe I have ever stated that Mourinho did NOT convert Mikel to a defensive midfielder. He did! That is a fact. Mikel is absolutely right - Mourinho converted him to a "holding midfielder." I have no idea what that means, but I guess thats another dumb phrase for "defensive midfielder."

In the article, did Mikel state where he played as a number 10? Does anyone know what position he played at Lyn Oslo?

I am not going to argue with Mikel, but I can assure him that he did NOT play as a number 10 UNDER SIASIA at the youth tournament. That was the only specific team/era/situation, I spoke about. Siasia does not play with a number 10, so if Mikel is imaining a position that his coach did not play with, good for him. :rotf: Siasia plays a 442 with a number 8 (the role Siasia played), and Isaac Success was the number 8. Maybe Mikel felt like he was creative for the team and that made him think he was a number 10, :rotf: :rotf: but he was NOT! Pirlo played as a registra and was creative for Milan, but Rui Costa and then Kaka were the number 10s for the team.

Without intending to sound arrogant, I know football very very well. I dont need Mikel to tell me what my eye saw and what my knowledge knows. :D :wink:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Dodgy refree
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

danfo driver wrote: I am surprised by your comment. I do not believe I have ever stated that Mourinho did NOT convert Mikel to a defensive midfielder. He did! That is a fact. Mikel is absolutely right - Mourinho converted him to a "holding midfielder." I have no idea what that means, but I guess thats another dumb phrase for "defensive midfielder."

In the article, did Mikel state where he played as a number 10? Does anyone know what position he played at Lyn Oslo?

I am not going to argue with Mikel, but I can assure him that he did NOT play as a number 10 UNDER SIASIA at the youth tournament. That was the only specific team/era/situation, I spoke about. Siasia does not play with a number 10, so if Mikel is imaining a position that his coach did not play with, good for him. :rotf: Siasia plays a 442 with a number 8 (the role Siasia played), and Isaac Success was the number 8. Maybe Mikel felt like he was creative for the team and that made him think he was a number 10, :rotf: :rotf: but he was NOT! Pirlo played as a registra and was creative for Milan, but Rui Costa and then Kaka were the number 10s for the team.

Without intending to sound arrogant, I know football very very well. I dont need Mikel to tell me what my eye saw and what my knowledge knows. :D :wink:
Dumb attempt at damage limitation. Which bit of this don't you understand?
I was playing as a No 10 before I went to Chelsea but [José] Mourinho converted me to a holding player,” Mikel says. “I enjoy it. When I was at Chelsea and there was a national team break, I’d go there and I’d enjoy it. I’d have this one or two weeks of freedom – to express myself and play the way I want. But at Chelsea, I did a job.”
"Before I went to Chelsea" means "before I went to Chelsea" and all the games and teams played in "before I went to Chelsea"! English can't be this hard!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

cic old boy wrote:
danfo driver wrote: I am surprised by your comment. I do not believe I have ever stated that Mourinho did NOT convert Mikel to a defensive midfielder. He did! That is a fact. Mikel is absolutely right - Mourinho converted him to a "holding midfielder." I have no idea what that means, but I guess thats another dumb phrase for "defensive midfielder."

Dumb attempt at damage limitation. Which bit of this don't you understand?
I was playing as a No 10 before I went to Chelsea but [José] Mourinho converted me to a holding player,” Mikel says. “I enjoy it. When I was at Chelsea and there was a national team break, I’d go there and I’d enjoy it. I’d have this one or two weeks of freedom – to express myself and play the way I want. But at Chelsea, I did a job.”
"Before I went to Chelsea" means "before I went to Chelsea" and all the games and teams played in "before I went to Chelsea"! English can't be this hard!
I know you want to cry bro, but I am sorry, I cant help you. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Mikel did NOT play as a number 10 under Siasia in that youth world cup. That is a fact and that is what i discussed; and that is my sole concern. I didnt watch Mikel at Lyn Oslo (neither did I watch him under Eguavoen). I am uninterested in yours and his opinion on this specific matter. I have my own eyes. I saw the youth world cup with my eyes, I dont need anyone to explain to me what I saw and what I know. Siasia plays a 442 without a 10. he plays with an 8 (Isaac Promise). That is a fact. No amount of copy/pasting can change that fact. And there is nothing you and Mikel can do about that. Sorry, you cant rewrite history. Life doesnt work that way.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

danfo driver wrote:
I know you want to cry bro, but I am sorry, I cant help you. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Mikel did NOT play as a number 10 under Siasia in that youth world cup. That is a fact and that is what i discussed; and that is my sole concern. I didnt watch Mikel at Lyn Oslo (neither did I watch him under Eguavoen). I am uninterested in yours and his opinion on this specific matter. I have my own eyes. I saw the youth world cup with my eyes, I dont need anyone to explain to me what I saw and what I know. Siasia plays a 442 without a 10. he plays with an 8 (Isaac Promise). That is a fact. No amount of copy/pasting can change that fact. And there is nothing you and Mikel can do about that. Sorry, you cant rewrite history. Life doesnt work that way.
:lol: :lol:
Mikel didn't have a long career b/4 coming to Chelski. If he played in any other position apart from 10, he would have said so! You obviously know the position Mikel played better than him!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

cic old boy wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Mikel didn't have a long career b/4 coming to Chelski. If he played in any other position apart from 10, he would have said so! You obviously know the position Mikel played better than him!
If Mikel was referring to his time under Siasia at the youth world cup, then ABSOLUTELY YES, I do!
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

danfo driver wrote:
If Mikel was referring to his time under Siasia at the youth world cup, then ABSOLUTELY YES, I do!
“I was playing as a No 10 before I went to Chelsea" . This means he didn't play any other position b/4 coming to Chelski. Reading is fundamental.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

cic old boy wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
“I was playing as a No 10 before I went to Chelsea" . This means he didn't play any other position b/4 coming to Chelski. Reading is fundamental.
That's good for him. Like I said, I watched the Siasia youth team and Mikel did not play as a number 10, because the number 10 role did not exist. Siasia plays with a number 8.

I dont understand your need for a back and forth on this issue. Its like you think you can convince me. I dont get it. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: I dont share your opinion. Move on. Its not hard.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

danfo driver wrote: That's good for him. Like I said, I watched the Siasia youth team and Mikel did not play as a number 10, because the number 10 role did not exist. Siasia plays with a number 8.

I dont understand your need for a back and forth on this issue. Its like you think you can convince me. I dont get it. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: I dont share your opinion. Move on. Its not hard.
:lol: :lol: You have already convinced your readers that you are clueless about the game. The man said he played as a 10. Who do we believe, the player or your lying eyes? :lol: :lol:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

cic old boy wrote:
danfo driver wrote: That's good for him. Like I said, I watched the Siasia youth team and Mikel did not play as a number 10, because the number 10 role did not exist. Siasia plays with a number 8.

:lol: :lol: You have already convinced your readers that you are clueless about the game. The man said he played as a 10. Who do we believe, the player or your lying eyes? :lol: :lol:
Thank you, I am clueless in the game. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: As if that is supposed to affect my bank account. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please move aside. If you want to do back and forth, I am not interested. Go ahead, have the last word. :rotf: :rotf:
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

It seems to me that people likes unnecessary arguments that prolongs issues. Sometimes, your best arguments should be videos. This is a video of the u20 finals between Nigeria vs Argentina and on this video of Siasia 424,
Keita (dm). Mikel (cm).

Isaac (8)

The argument now is that should we classify (CM) as a 10 or as another 6??
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

john12 wrote:It seems to me that people likes unnecessary arguments that prolongs issues. Sometimes, your best arguments should be videos. This is a video of the u20 finals between Nigeria vs Argentina and on this video of Siasia 424,
Keita (dm). Mikel (cm).

Isaac (8)

Please, dont waste your time! We are all clueless. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: A coach who is famous for playing a formation THAT EVERYONE KNOWS has no number 10 position, zilch!! and some childish thing is here arguing nonsense, just so he can say he has argued. That's why I say he is the less refined, less intelligent and more senseless version of TxJ. :oops:
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

john12 wrote:It seems to me that people likes unnecessary arguments that prolongs issues. Sometimes, your best arguments should be videos. This is a video of the u20 finals between Nigeria vs Argentina and on this video of Siasia 424,
Keita (dm). Mikel (cm).

Isaac (8)

Or you can ask Mikel what position he played in.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

danfo driver wrote:
Thank you, I am clueless in the game. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: As if that is supposed to affect my bank account. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please move aside. If you want to do back and forth, I am not interested. Go ahead, have the last word. :rotf: :rotf:
You are the one always defending Borinho as if it will affect your bank account. That's why you aired this BS:
But the truth is that MKEL WAS NEVER A TEN! NEVER! It was a story told by people who had hidden agendas.
Mikel has told us he played as a 10 b/4 coming to Chelsea. He didn't say he did this some times, most times, many times or a few times. He said he played as a 10. That was his position until he came to Chelsea. He either has a "hidden agenda" or you know his position better than him! :lol: :lol: :lol: