Proud Senegal admit they were ‘playing for Africa’

Proud Senegal admit they were ‘playing for Africa’ in Poland encounter
The Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... nd-group-h
The truth came out after the 2-1 win over Poland, a success built on steely mentality as much as anything else. “We saw the other African teams lose their first games and it gave us power to play for Africa,” the striker Diafra Sakho, who was an unused substitute, said. “Now, all of Africa is happy.”
Even Cissé did not downplay the significance of a win for Africa. “Absolutely, it was important,” he said. “Senegal represent the whole African continent. We are Senegal but I can guarantee that the whole of Africa is supporting Senegal. I get calls and lots of people are proud. We are proud to represent the African continent.”
The notion of such a support network across say, Europe, is hard to imagine. But sporting togetherness in Africa is a powerful force. “It’s true and it’s important,” Sakho, the Rennes player, formerly of West Ham, said. “We need to be together if the African continent is going to win a World Cup. It’s a very important job for us to keep it this way, to play together. That way, we’re going to make a lot of victories.”
Meanwhile, our own players dey trot for field.... :boo:

naijaspurs2018
Re: Proud Senegal admit they were ‘playing for Africa’

Post by naijaspurs2018 »

I'm glad that they recognise it and 'stepped up to the plate'. Meanwhile in the UK, Lord Alan Sugar can only see "Marbella beach sellers". I pray that they get through to the second round and I will be cheering them on the whole way.
Dr. Wazobia

Post by Dr. Wazobia »

The YeyeMan wrote:Proud Senegal admit they were ‘playing for Africa’ in Poland encounter
The Guardian
The truth came out after the 2-1 win over Poland, a success built on steely mentality as much as anything else. “We saw the other African teams lose their first games and it gave us power to play for Africa,” the striker Diafra Sakho, who was an unused substitute, said. “Now, all of Africa is happy.”
Even Cissé did not downplay the significance of a win for Africa. “Absolutely, it was important,” he said. “Senegal represent the whole African continent. We are Senegal but I can guarantee that the whole of Africa is supporting Senegal. I get calls and lots of people are proud. We are proud to represent the African continent.”
The notion of such a support network across say, Europe, is hard to imagine. But sporting togetherness in Africa is a powerful force. “It’s true and it’s important,” Sakho, the Rennes player, formerly of West Ham, said. “We need to be together if the African continent is going to win a World Cup. It’s a very important job for us to keep it this way, to play together. That way, we’re going to make a lot of victories.”
Some (not all) of our players appear to play with a sense of ‘entitlement’ that has no place in African football. If our African teams win 4 or 5 World Cups then we can start playing ‘enitled’ football. Until then, let us continue to play with ferocious determination, desire and venom.
--- Let brotherly love continue ---

The YeyeMan wrote:Proud Senegal admit they were ‘playing for Africa’ in Poland encounter
The Guardian
I am with Senegal all the way..Love watching them since they waya us in 2002 AFCON , since then i have always loved their style of football

They have my full support.

Make una sharrap dia, didnt you guys encourage the entitlement mentality, How individuals can get to a world cup and start fighting over 5000 dollars to the extent they went on strike, You dont go to the world cup to play for money I dont care what anybody says.

Prince wrote:Make una sharrap dia, didnt you guys encourage the entitlement mentality, How individuals can get to a world cup and start fighting over 5000 dollars to the extent they went on strike, You dont go to the world cup to play for money I dont care what anybody says.

Hanky chief, what are you going on about now? Who is on strike for $5K

I am happy for Senegal. They and Mexico made me very happy. Win or lose, I am - today - 100% behind Senegal. The Super-eagles better emulate Mexico and Senegal and play ball.

And the only incentive for the so called Super Eagles is to pay them more,thank you Senegal I’m with you till the final whistle!

Odas wrote:I am happy for Senegal. They and Mexico made me very happy. Win or lose, I am - today - 100% behind Senegal. The Super-eagles better emulate Mexico and Senegal and play ball.
what connection do you have with Mexico, you see your problem , why i keep asking you aren't smart.. all of a sudden you claim to have a Mexican passport