Amidst the celebrations...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

RomanusOjinta
Egg
Egg
Amidst the celebrations...

Post by RomanusOjinta »

Amidst the cheer, I just want to point out that this is how Europe keeps winning world cups. Even in this tournament which was wide open, England still made it to the final 4 because they had an extremly easy draw. They had this draw because the FIFA ranking system determined that their matches against the footballing powerhouses of Andorra, Finland, Kazakhstan and Faroe Islands deserved more weighting than matches against each other between Zambia, Algeria, Egypt, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Senegal, Morocco and Nigeria.

As a result of this faulty weighting, England got into Pot B as a 2nd seed and ended up with only effectively one dicey game in the group stage (Tunisia). They were always going to beat Panama, so a win against Tunisa and the Belgium result wouldn't matter. They even visibly conserved energy in that game. Meanwhile Morocco found themselves with Portugal, Iran and Spain, i.e one tough but winnable game and two world cup finals in the GROUP STAGE.

Morocco would have easily given this England team more of an examination than either Colombia or Sweden did in the last 2 rounds, but we'll never know because after this weird and arbitrary ranking process, England got to go through despite having no discernible tactic except loading the box for set pieces, and Morocco went home.

I don't say this lightly: This is how to fix a tournament to achieve a desired outcome. Every African team that plays in the world cup is effectively playing against a stacked deck. Something needs to be done about the weighting given to European friendlies and qualifiers. There is nothing you can tell me that will convince me that a 5-1 stroll against Northern Ireland at Wembley is deserving of more points than a 2-1 away victory in Ndola against Zambia. A lot of CAF teams are weak, that is true, but there are easily more than 10 competitive teams at any point in time - Ghana, Nigeria, CIV, Senegal, Cameroon, Morocco, Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria, Gabon, Zambia, DR Congo, even South Africa.

Not every team in Europe is Italy or Holland or Germany. There are also a lot of Macedonias, Latvias and Montenegros that are not better than our Nigers, Libyas and Central African Republics. It is not fair that those games should get significantly higher weightings than ours, which distorts the rankings and allows trash like Poland and Iceland to be in the world's top 20 while Nigeria is outside the top 40.

Rant over.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Amidst the celebrations...

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The fraud named fifa said they are going to change the ranking systems. . Europe do have 13 teams plus host in thus worldcup. . A trash team like England made it to the last 4 , after defeating Panama and Tunisia. .why Nigeria , Morroco matched up against very difficult opponents
...England had the easiest route to the last 4
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

The world friendly league is aimed at levelling the field. That being said, we can continue to look for excuses as opposed to a way forward.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...even if they put Nigeria vs Tahiti we will find a way to lose. So make una learn how groom and organize a team professionally.
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

RomanusOjinta wrote:Amidst the cheer, I just want to point out that this is how Europe keeps winning world cups. Even in this tournament which was wide open, England still made it to the final 4 because they had an extremly easy draw. They had this draw because the FIFA ranking system determined that their matches against the footballing powerhouses of Andorra, Finland, Kazakhstan and Faroe Islands deserved more weighting than matches against each other between Zambia, Algeria, Egypt, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Senegal, Morocco and Nigeria.

As a result of this faulty weighting, England got into Pot B as a 2nd seed and ended up with only effectively one dicey game in the group stage (Tunisia). They were always going to beat Panama, so a win against Tunisa and the Belgium result wouldn't matter. They even visibly conserved energy in that game. Meanwhile Morocco found themselves with Portugal, Iran and Spain, i.e one tough but winnable game and two world cup finals in the GROUP STAGE.

Morocco would have easily given this England team more of an examination than either Colombia or Sweden did in the last 2 rounds, but we'll never know because after this weird and arbitrary ranking process, England got to go through despite having no discernible tactic except loading the box for set pieces, and Morocco went home.

I don't say this lightly: This is how to fix a tournament to achieve a desired outcome. Every African team that plays in the world cup is effectively playing against a stacked deck. Something needs to be done about the weighting given to European friendlies and qualifiers. There is nothing you can tell me that will convince me that a 5-1 stroll against Northern Ireland at Wembley is deserving of more points than a 2-1 away victory in Ndola against Zambia. A lot of CAF teams are weak, that is true, but there are easily more than 10 competitive teams at any point in time - Ghana, Nigeria, CIV, Senegal, Cameroon, Morocco, Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria, Gabon, Zambia, DR Congo, even South Africa.

Not every team in Europe is Italy or Holland or Germany. There are also a lot of Macedonias, Latvias and Montenegros that are not better than our Nigers, Libyas and Central African Republics. It is not fair that those games should get significantly higher weightings than ours, which distorts the rankings and allows trash like Poland and Iceland to be in the world's top 20 while Nigeria is outside the top 40.

Rant over.
I used to think like this but FIFA is a business. What they care about is revenue. They want teams that will fill stadia and guarantee TV audiences. Simple as that. Sad but true

Imagine a semi final of say Lesotho vs Cuba. Would be a disaster for business :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Samora Machel wrote:
RomanusOjinta wrote:Amidst the cheer, I just want to point out that this is how Europe keeps winning world cups. Even in this tournament which was wide open, England still made it to the final 4 because they had an extremly easy draw. They had this draw because the FIFA ranking system determined that their matches against the footballing powerhouses of Andorra, Finland, Kazakhstan and Faroe Islands deserved more weighting than matches against each other between Zambia, Algeria, Egypt, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Senegal, Morocco and Nigeria.

Rant over.
I used to think like this but FIFA is a business. What they care about is revenue. They want teams that will fill stadia and guarantee TV audiences. Simple as that. Sad but true

Imagine a semi final of say Lesotho vs Cuba. Would be a disaster for business :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
You think so? You never know....

Let's give it a shot and see how popular that game would be.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
RomanusOjinta
Egg
Egg

Post by RomanusOjinta »

Samora Machel wrote:

Rant over.

I mean if that's the case, then we shouldn't even bother with the facade of holding an ostensibly egalitarian world cup tournament every 4 years. They can just organise a 16-country international league made up of Brazil, Argentina, Germany,Italy, Spain, Holland, France, England, Uruguay and Portugal, plus 4 rotating invitees, and host it permanently in the US or China for maximum commercial exploitation.

Maybe I'm a silly romantic, but I really don't see the point in competitions which aren't really competitions. I don't watch the world cup because I want to see a commercially successful tournament. I watch it because I want to see Team A that I like beat Team B that I don't like. That's the basic reason any of us watch football at all.

If Lesotho or Cuba have raised enough talent to compete at that level, then they have earned the right to play at that level. Football fans will still watch it, at first for the novelty value if nothing else, and then eventually they will get used to it.

I'm getting very tired of seeing the same 6 or 7 teams have their seats saved for them in the round of 16 at every world cup. It's like pulling on a slot machine and knowing exactly what you wil come out with each time. It destroys the experience.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Samora Machel wrote:

teams like Germany? out 1st round
Spain? out 1st round 2014
Italy, Holland? DNQ

try again

5 games sweet o
DNA no good o

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

asabe
Egg
Egg

Post by asabe »

If you win one game at a time you will be Champeon!!
“love the life you live. live the life you love.” Bob Marley
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

tfco wrote:
Samora Machel wrote:

teams like Germany? out 1st round
Spain? out 1st round 2014
Italy, Holland? DNQ

try again

5 games sweet o
DNA no good o
Smartass I'm not sating that's what happens but I'm just saying that its a rationale that makes sense on FIFAs part. We know world cup viewership numbers in America were down this time because USA aren't there and we know that eans less revenue for FIFA.

There was a meme going round of Nigeria vs Argentina saying Argentina had x amount of fans and Nigeria had like 2000 and its supposed implications on hotel bookings and what not. So yeah looked at dispassionately one can see why FIFA favours the big boys. I hate it myself but I can see why now
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
tippy
Egg
Egg

Post by tippy »

Rant over.

You have a point, but here's the thing. Does seeding actually help? Being second seeds meant England could've been in brazil's group, or germany's group or portugal's group. they lucked out. Meanwhile, had Senegal replaced Tunisia in group G, or Egypt in Group A, they might have qualified easily. England's path to the semis was made easier because Spain, Germany and Argentina screwed up.

Seeding only keeps big sides apart in the group stage. Serena Williams is underseeded at Wimbledon, but because she's better than everyone it doesn't matter. occasionally an average league in europe will make top seed in the champs league leading a Shakhtar, Anderlecht or PSV to be in pot 1, but they usually find their level quickly. Every team at the world cup had 3 matches to make an impact. if we are better than the european teams, let's show it on the pitch.

Fifa are changing the rating system to an ELO style system, with no weighting and more rewards for playing friendlies. id like to see us play our qualifier, then play a top class friendly in the second matchday. mind you looking at the ELO ratings
My usual reaction after most Arsenal games: "lol, f*** Arsenal."