Africa so far, so SHAMEFUL

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Rawlings
Egg
Egg
Africa so far, so SHAMEFUL

Post by Rawlings »

Africa needs Ghana
Not since Zaire's 9-0 loss to Yugoslavia have we been represented by such a useless batch of countries
(except Naija. I have to say this or else I might be banned from the forum)
Last edited by Rawlings on Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:22 am, edited 9 times in total.
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Africa so far: 1 Win 5 Loses; 3 Goals

Post by green4life »

... and Ghana will still not be allowed to smell the grass in Russia whether they like am or not! :sad: :sad: :sad:
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

DNQ dey good ooooo :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Last edited by green4life on Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

green4life wrote:... and Ghana will still not be allowed to smell the grass in Russia whether they like am or not! :sad: :sad: :sad:
Oga, stay on topic
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Rawlings wrote:
green4life wrote:... and Ghana will still not be allowed to smell the grass in Russia whether they like am or not! :sad: :sad: :sad:
Oga, stay on topic
Massa, don't worry. They will soon sing your anthem in Russia. You hear? :taunt:
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

green4life wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
Oga, stay on topic
Massa, don't worry. They will soon sing your anthem in Russia. You hear? :taunt:
Now back to the topic at hand .....
why is Africa doing so poorly, so far?
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
sayala
Egg
Egg

Post by sayala »

Rawlings wrote:
green4life wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
Oga, stay on topic
When was the last time Africa did well?

I would say African teams played above expectations in 1982, 1986 and 1990. Since then it has been a case of one African team doing well while the rest disappoint.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Rawlings wrote:
green4life wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
Oga, stay on topic
... If you look hard enough, you might spot one fan wearing your Ghana Jersey in the stands. Wipe the tears my breda :taunt:
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

sayala wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
green4life wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
Oga, stay on topic

I would say African teams played above expectations in 1982, 1986 and 1990. Since then it has been a case of one African team doing well while the rest disappoint.
what about 2010, when we almost got to the Semi finals?
anyhow, Good point. So, this is nothing new
In that case, why do we keep asking for more spots?
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Rawlings wrote:
sayala wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
green4life wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
Oga, stay on topic

To increase the odds of more African teams progressing to the next round.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

metalalloy wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
sayala wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
green4life wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
Oga, stay on topic

To increase the odds of more African teams progressing to the next round.
it will rather make us look bad .... Imagine if we have 9 teams and only one goes through :(

This time around, we sent African's best (no Angola, no Togo, no South Africa, no Congo..)
Multiple African champions, no first time reps, solid national sides
and yet we see no progress SO FAR ...
Last edited by Rawlings on Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

More spots more chances ... or more spots more humiliation? Maybe we need 20 spots, so we actually get a chance to advance more than one team?
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

bepanda wrote:More spots more chances ... or more spots more humiliation? Maybe we need 20 spots, so we actually get a chance to advance more than one team?
If it weren't so sad, it would be funny
:laugh: :laugh:
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

green4life wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
green4life wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
Oga, stay on topic
... If you look hard enough, you might spot one fan wearing your Ghana Jersey in the stands. Wipe the tears my breda :taunt:
Know what? I'll rather Ghana stayed home than put up the Egypt/Morocco performance
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

sayala wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
green4life wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
Oga, stay on topic

1998 was a relatively good WC for Africa, with a little more luck and better refereeing 3 out of 5 would have qualified for KO rounds. 2014 actually saw 2/5 going to the KO rounds.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

folem wrote:
sayala wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
green4life wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
Oga, stay on topic

1998 was a relatively good WC for Africa, with a little more luck and better refereeing 3 out of 5 would have qualified for KO rounds. 2014 actually saw 2/5 going to the KO rounds.
There is still a chance that 3 African teams will get to the next round
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Rawlings wrote: it will rather make us look bad .... Imagine if we have 9 teams and only one goes through :(

This time around, we sent African's best (no Angola, no Togo, no South Africa, no Congo..)
But imagine if we have 9 and 5 go through. The more you have, the greater your odds of more going through.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

My theory is that we have never really learned how to compete consistently. It is not only football. It is almost everything else. Is there a particular sector, where we (Africans) can actually say, we are world class? We are who our record says we are.
Our economies rely on natural resources. Our football relies on players who learned their kraft in Europe. Even when we have these great generations of players, we mess them up with constant opportunism, bad preparation, incompetence, ... etc.
Sometimes, our young players who benefit from great infrastructures in Europe lack the drive to get better. They refuse to learn the fundamentals and build a solid foundation.
Hopefully we will be able to teach the next generation.
Bepanda
Rawlings wrote:
bepanda wrote:More spots more chances ... or more spots more humiliation? Maybe we need 20 spots, so we actually get a chance to advance more than one team?
If it weren't so sad, it would be funny
:laugh: :laugh:
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

metalalloy wrote:
Rawlings wrote: it will rather make us look bad .... Imagine if we have 9 teams and only one goes through :(

But imagine if we have 9 and 5 go through. The more you have, the greater your odds of more going through.
It reminds me of an uncle who had 20 kids.
His logic was that he increases the chances that one will become a millionaire and look after him in his old age
He forgot that he had to feed, cloth & educate them meanwhile
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

As africans players are scattered round the globe, its hard to get them organised for friendlies and meet ups, compare that to eurooeans whose players are a stone throw away, play in same league, understand each other game, thats why i advocate a stronger domestic league in africa, Nigeria should have the best domestic league in Africa generating millions, Nigeria should have at least a pool of 30 world class players, the talent is there, i refuse to believe there is a decline in talent, domestic league clubs with a good feeder system is the way forward

They should bring back the YSFON competitions as far as it dont get hijacked by old aged pensioners, all this involves organization and of course funds
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

South American players are scattered globally and face tougher travel schedules than African players yet look at how well they do at the WC. African footy is a reflection of the continent itself.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Heliopolis wrote:South American players are scattered globally and face tougher travel schedules than African players yet look at how well they do at the WC. African footy is a reflection of the continent itself.
Different attitudes play a huge part as to why african sides dont do well, mentally some african players are weak, european players make so much money and are still keen to leave a mark on the game, some nigerian players for example loss interest in the game once they are millionaires, they play football like politicians
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko