When we the last time the SE scored an early goal

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet
When we the last time the SE scored an early goal

Post by theYemster »

To take a lead? By early goal I mean a goal within the first ten minutes of a match?

I ask because I've said for a long time now that one annoying trait about Nigerian teams is how they always start slow playing big man ball. I've never seen a Nigerian team come out of the gates like gangbusters and hit the opponents in the mouth before they have time to settle down. It's actually the opposite. They always want to "settle and play their game". As if the other team came to sell guguru and ekpa. It's even evident in their counter attacking game...they start slowing the game down and passing around and backwards trying to develop an attack not realizing it's also giving the other team the chances to set their defense.

Look at how Portugal hit Morocco in the mouth before they had time to finish their prayers. And it ended up being the winner. It allowed them the cushion to play like shhit afterwards and still win the game. They streets the same way against Spain as well.

It's like they don't understand that chasing a game is very tasking. Also scoring early in addition to giving you a goal advantage forces your opponent to abandon their main (and likely more favorable and best) game plan early and switch to their less desirable option thus furthering your advantage.

I can't "credit" Rohr got this cos its been the east they play for years. Probably as far back as the 94 team.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: When we the last time the SE scored an early goal

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Last time SE scored an early goal (1st 10 minutes) on the big stage? How about never. Although we have scored first on many occasions. Against Argentina and Italy (1994) Sweden (2002), Greece and Korea(2010) and we did not win any of those games.

But yes, you rarely see intense, focused attacking soccer from the SE in the early stages of a game at the WC. It is an attitude problem.

Wha choo looking at?!
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

Scipio Africanus wrote:Last time SE scored an early goal (1st 10 minutes) on the big stage? How about never. Although we have scored first on many occasions. Against Argentina and Italy (1994) Sweden (2002), Greece and Korea(2010) and we did not win any of those games.

But yes, you rarely see intense, focused attacking soccer from the SE in the early stages of a game at the WC. It is an attitude problem.

Its BOTH an attitude and an aptitude problem.
Our seem unable to deploy high level tactical
schemes when they play for the national team.

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Ebyboy wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:Last time SE scored an early goal (1st 10 minutes) on the big stage? How about never. Although we have scored first on many occasions. Against Argentina and Italy (1994) Sweden (2002), Greece and Korea(2010) and we did not win any of those games.

Its BOTH an attitude and an aptitude problem.
Our seem unable to deploy high level tactical
schemes when they play for the national team.
Possibly.

I hope to be proven VERY, VERY wrong, but I see a 1-1 draw against Iceland, at best.

Wha choo looking at?!
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Vs.... Tahiti