Ahmed Musa is Nigeria's best hope for goals against Iceland

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Orube
Egg
Egg
Ahmed Musa is Nigeria's best hope for goals against Iceland

Post by Orube »

According to Colin Udoh:

Four years ago, Ahmed Musa scored two spectacular goals as Nigeria came within a Marcos Rojo header of tying Argentina and finishing as group winners at the World Cup in Brazil.

Instead, the defender scored from a corner kick, and the Super Eagles lost 3-2. They advanced in second place, having beaten Bosnia in the second game of the group, but had to contend with France in the Last 16 and lost 2-0.

The CSKA Moscow forward was unplayable against Messi and co., and could well have had a hat trick. But between then and very recently, a combination of circumstances saw the forward lose his place at both club and international level.

He was named Super Eagles captain after Vincent Enyeama's premature retirement in late 2015, and looked for all the world like he was about to become a growing force within the national team.

Instead, personal issues left him unsettled, and he proceeded to hand the armband to John Mikel Obi. Things went from bad to worse when he changed clubs, moving from CSKA to Leicester City.

Unable to find playing time, Musa plummeted down the Foxes' pecking order to the point where he could not even get a game with the reserves.

Naturally, he also lost his place on the national team. Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr favoured Moses Simon and Alex Iwobi ahead of the long-serving forward.

But a winter loan move back to CSKA was marked by an immediate upturn in fortunes, with six goals in 10 appearances, and he finds himself in the international frame again.

Ahmed Musa scored two goals against Argentina at 2014's World Cup, and could be the key for Nigeria in Russia. Ryan Pierse/FIFA/Getty Images
It was not just about the move, however, but also how the 25-year-old was deployed. While considered a winger in Nigeria, his inability to cross -- not one of his strongest assets -- has been held against him for years.

But that is not Musa's strength. His biggest assets are his speed and finishing. Those are the qualities which propelled him to the Nigerian league golden boot. They are also the assets which have helped him bag those goals at CSKA, and not by crossing a football.

He has excelled in Moscow by being stationed as a central striker.

Rohr tested him there in the friendly against Serbia recently, and even though he lacked supply, his running in behind the backs caused all manner of trouble for the defence.

After their Russia 2018 opening loss to Croatia, the Super Eagles desperately need a win to keep their World Cup dreams alive. A win on Friday against Iceland is critical to those aspirations.

To do so, Rohr will need to make some tweaks in both tactics and personnel. A switch to three at the back would be a good start, but to break down the sturdy Iceland defence, Nigeria will need both craft and speed.

Odion Ighalo has strength and a bit of craft. Kelechi Iheanacho has guile, and Ahmed Musa has guile, speed and finishing. If Rohr decides to go 3-5-2 against Iceland, then one of Ighalo or Iheanacho will be the starting centre forward.

Musa would be the perfect foil, whose speed on the break will keep the Icelanders honest when they think about counter attacking. His ability to finish calmly should also come in useful if the Super Eagles create enough chances to place the forwards in a goalscoring position.

He is also one of only four players in the squad who have actual previous World Cup experience. He has form, ability, and big game experience. Starting Musa would not be a gamble for Rohr. It would be the best football decision to take.
"If a Jewish guy can walk on water, why can't some Igbo witch doctor fly from Enugu to Onitsha via astral travel, do his business, and return?"
-Obugi
9jaMan
Egg
Egg
Re: Ahmed Musa is Nigeria's best hope for goals against Icel

Post by 9jaMan »

Orube wrote:According to Colin Udoh:

Four years ago, Ahmed Musa scored two spectacular goals as Nigeria came within a Marcos Rojo header of tying Argentina and finishing as group winners at the World Cup in Brazil.

Instead, the defender scored from a corner kick, and the Super Eagles lost 3-2. They advanced in second place, having beaten Bosnia in the second game of the group, but had to contend with France in the Last 16 and lost 2-0.

The CSKA Moscow forward was unplayable against Messi and co., and could well have had a hat trick. But between then and very recently, a combination of circumstances saw the forward lose his place at both club and international level.

He was named Super Eagles captain after Vincent Enyeama's premature retirement in late 2015, and looked for all the world like he was about to become a growing force within the national team.

Instead, personal issues left him unsettled, and he proceeded to hand the armband to John Mikel Obi. Things went from bad to worse when he changed clubs, moving from CSKA to Leicester City.

Unable to find playing time, Musa plummeted down the Foxes' pecking order to the point where he could not even get a game with the reserves.

Naturally, he also lost his place on the national team. Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr favoured Moses Simon and Alex Iwobi ahead of the long-serving forward.

But a winter loan move back to CSKA was marked by an immediate upturn in fortunes, with six goals in 10 appearances, and he finds himself in the international frame again.

Ahmed Musa scored two goals against Argentina at 2014's World Cup, and could be the key for Nigeria in Russia. Ryan Pierse/FIFA/Getty Images
It was not just about the move, however, but also how the 25-year-old was deployed. While considered a winger in Nigeria, his inability to cross -- not one of his strongest assets -- has been held against him for years.

But that is not Musa's strength. His biggest assets are his speed and finishing. Those are the qualities which propelled him to the Nigerian league golden boot. They are also the assets which have helped him bag those goals at CSKA, and not by crossing a football.

He has excelled in Moscow by being stationed as a central striker.

Rohr tested him there in the friendly against Serbia recently, and even though he lacked supply, his running in behind the backs caused all manner of trouble for the defence.

After their Russia 2018 opening loss to Croatia, the Super Eagles desperately need a win to keep their World Cup dreams alive. A win on Friday against Iceland is critical to those aspirations.

To do so, Rohr will need to make some tweaks in both tactics and personnel. A switch to three at the back would be a good start, but to break down the sturdy Iceland defence, Nigeria will need both craft and speed.

Odion Ighalo has strength and a bit of craft. Kelechi Iheanacho has guile, and Ahmed Musa has guile, speed and finishing. If Rohr decides to go 3-5-2 against Iceland, then one of Ighalo or Iheanacho will be the starting centre forward.

Musa would be the perfect foil, whose speed on the break will keep the Icelanders honest when they think about counter attacking. His ability to finish calmly should also come in useful if the Super Eagles create enough chances to place the forwards in a goalscoring position.

He is also one of only four players in the squad who have actual previous World Cup experience. He has form, ability, and big game experience. Starting Musa would not be a gamble for Rohr. It would be the best football decision to take.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Nigeria is finished if Musa starts. Numbers don't lie, Nigeria has not won a game in over 4 years with Musa as a starter. This federal qouta nonsense is real, cos Musa is not good enough to be in the present SE.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: When last did Musa score for the SE? This ish is getting funny and desperate. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Dellusions.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Nigeria should put in a tape of Spain vs Iran. The Eagles will have to patient and be creative to score against Iceland. Also watch out for counter attack football. Musa speed is negated because Iceland don't play a high line. He is too short to challenge the tall Iceland defenders. His final ball is poor to be a winger. It does not make any sense to me.

bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

If this true Nigeria should depend on Musa to score SE should not show up tomorrow because it is going to happen .
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

ohenhen1 wrote:Nigeria should put in a tape of Spain vs Iran. The Eagles will have to patient and be creative to score against Iceland. Also watch out for counter attack football. Musa speed is negated because Iceland don't play a high line. He is too short to challenge the tall Iceland defenders. His final ball is poor to be a winger. It does not make any sense to me.
Musa has speed and needs space, who will give him the space? Did you see how confused he looked when all the croatian defenders backed off him giving him 10 yards in front of them and no space to run in behind them, dude was perplexed then started putting in some stupid crosses that went straight out for a GK. :rotf: All these teams have done their homework on us, we need the element of surprise like a Kelechi, not predictable Musa.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

maceo4 wrote::rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: When last did Musa score for the SE? This ish is getting funny and desperate. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
when last did the SE score a worldcup goal? see how shallow you sound?
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Ok
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
maceo4 wrote::rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: When last did Musa score for the SE? This ish is getting funny and desperate. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I know you fat guys are lazy, but please 'jog' my memory, I'm talking any goal in the last couple of years (I really can't remember any). Dude has not been our go to goal getter for a while now, regardless if he scored 4 years ago at the last WC (maybe we should bring back Emenike and Babatunde Messi to feed him :rotf: ). Iheanacho has bailed us out against Tanzania, Zambia, Iwobi has bailed us out against Zambia, even Ighalo scored against Cameroon, but Musa???? Lets hope and pray sha.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

maceo4 wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
I know you fat guys are lazy, but please 'jog' my memory, I'm talking any goal in the last couple of years (I really can't remember any). Dude has not been our go to goal getter for a while now, regardless if he scored 4 years ago at the last WC (maybe we should bring back Emenike and Babatunde Messi to feed him :rotf: ). Iheanacho has bailed us out against Tanzania, Zambia, Iwobi has bailed us out against Zambia, even Ighalo scored against Cameroon, but Musa???? Lets hope and pray sha.
hard face looking reject , I am not fat, fit , and i can run miles none stop, the last goals the SE scored were by Ahmed Musa ..FACT not feelings
SuperEagles

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
hard face looking reject , I am not fat, fit , and i can run miles none stop, the last goals the SE scored were by Ahmed Musa ..FACT not feelings
I'm sorry, that was a sore spot for you, but no vex. Yes you are not fat, most skinny people walk around with turkey necks. And yes here's another FACT 'the first SE WC goal ever was scored by Yekini' (RIP Legend), but what does that have to do with this world cup?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Dumb, just dumb.

Anybody who thinks Musa is the answer is just dumb, and deserves all the abuse they get.

Musa starts tomorrow and we are going out. Period.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

vancity eagle wrote:Dumb, just dumb.

Anybody who thinks Musa is the answer is just dumb, and deserves all the abuse they get.

I take it then that we will win the match tomorrow if your tantrum in 2013 is any pointer. :thumbs: :thumbs:
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

maceo4 wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
I'm sorry, that was a sore spot for you, but no vex. Yes you are not fat, most skinny people walk around with turkey necks. And yes here's another FACT 'the first SE WC goal ever was scored by Yekini' (RIP Legend), but what does that have to do with this world cup?
human waste , i bet you are fatter than me , PM your IG page so we can compare..what a tool
SuperEagles

esosa
Egg
Egg

Post by esosa »

Given the options at hand, Musa should start. We need that aggression against Ireland
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

esosa wrote:

Given the options at hand, Musa should start. We need that aggression against Ireland

We need cerebral players to break down Iceland.

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
human waste , i bet you are fatter than me , PM your IG page so we can compare..what a tool
Why so touchy, I thought in naija extra weight means you are rich abi? :taunt:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
esosa
Egg
Egg

Post by esosa »

ohenhen1 wrote:
esosa wrote:

We need cerebral players to break down Iceland.
Not this SE team.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I am glad this forum converges on the Internet and not in real life, otherwise we would be trading punches. Anyone asking Musa to start for Nigeria deserves to have their face slapped.
Last edited by Ayo Akinfe on Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

:rotf: :rotf:

Even Musa knows the truth.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Onanzi is starting
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Sir V wrote:Onanzi is starting

that short man poison is starting, why?