Nigeria 2 - 0 Iceland:(Musa x 2)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria 2 - 0 Iceland:(Musa x 2)

Post by realtrouble »

Thunder wrote:The pk that never was. The stupid American/New Zealander doesn’t know jack, even with VAR. Watching again, Ebuehi was already reaching for the ball before the Icelander stretched for it. No way Ebuehi could have retracted his leg. :curse:
It was a clumsy penalty.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria - Iceland:

Post by metalalloy »

fabio wrote:I dey office... Omo i don forget i just shout GOAL...

See as all eyes dey on me
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

Off to St. Pete tomorrow for next game. Hope to see some CEs
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

The PK call was rather harsh.
Anyhow, poetic justice....
Thunder wrote:The pk that never was. The stupid American/New Zealander doesn’t know jack, even with VAR. Watching again, Ebuehi was already reaching for the ball before the Icelander stretched for it. No way Ebuehi could have retracted his leg. :curse:
kbt
Egg
Egg

Post by kbt »

Tbite wrote:
mate wrote:
Tbite wrote:
mate wrote:
kbt wrote:
Odas wrote:Now, we have to beat Argentina and move on to the next stage. We have our FATE on our hands - completely
Yes, but a draw will see us through even if Iceland beat Croatia.
Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't it come down to goal difference?
Our GD is 0, Argentina's would be -3 in the event of a draw. Icelands would be 0 as well if you won 2-0 against Croatia and +1 if you won 3-0

I think unless Croatia significantly weaken their team, it is unlikely Iceland would go through in that scenario.

Argentina is only going to qualify if they win, they can forget about drawing.

So it would be goal difference? As Odas asked, is there any head to head consideration?
tiebreakers

points obtained in all group matches;
goal difference in all group matches;
number of goals scored in all group matches;

head to head comes after this.
Thanks for clarifying. Damn, I thought we just needed a draw if Iceland win but it looks like we have to go all out and beat Argentina.
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

uglyoneiamagain wrote:
camex wrote:
Tbite wrote:
mate wrote:
kbt wrote:
Odas wrote:Now, we have to beat Argentina and move on to the next stage. We have our FATE on our hands - completely
Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't it come down to goal difference?
Our GD is 0, Argentina's would be -3 in the event of a draw. Icelands would be 0 as well if you won 2-0 against Croatia and +1 if you won 3-0

I think unless Croatia significantly weaken their team, it is unlikely Iceland would go through in that scenario.

Argentina is only going to qualify if they win, they can forget about drawing.
I agree, the only unknown, I think, is whether Croatia will send their 1st team against Iceland as they are already qualified.
the might because if they have a heavy loss and we beat Argentina by a few goals without reply, we top the group so they won't want that.
They have + 5 goal average. Nigeria has 0 at the moment. Your scenario is highly unlikely.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

zee wrote:Ebuehi is still TOO RAW, but will come good in future.
Raw Ebuehi 10X better than Idowu.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

mutiman wrote:
Cellular wrote:Omeruo has played like a BOSS!
He's been very good.
He has been very good with the interceptions & clearances. Still clumsy & with iffy passing. We're good in the CD position though and playing 3 at the back might be a platform to be more adventurous.

We have limited options on the left mid though & Ebuehi may be converted there. We now really miss Moses Simon, which makes the dropping of Aina even more inexplicable.
sinequanon
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by sinequanon »

Odas wrote:
kbt wrote:
Good, but let's aim for a win against Argentina
Absolutely. And they can't be in two minds about it. Argentina will not be in two minds.

If Argentina are forced to start taking risks, the way to exploit that is to remain attack minded, not park bus.

In any case, it is most likely that Argentina will play for set pieces, and exploit any weaknesses Nigeria has in this area. Trying to park bus would be a very bad idea for Nigeria -- suicidal.
There'll be time enough for counting, when the dealing's done..

https://voca.ro/1dk47QJEvGY2
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Let us not even debate the penalty it was stone cold and VAR confirmed it. The easiest way to get a penalty is to put your body in front of your opponent,,if such is clumsy he would enter the trap. I saw it coming and I was praying Ebuehi won't put the leg forward..as soon as he did I put my hands on.my head.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Post match conference

[/video]
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Mister Dolly wrote:This group might come down to goals difference. We should try and score one more
Hopefully, the Croatian subs play with Pride and don't roll over for Iceland.

It won't matter if we get the win against Argentina though.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

oloye wrote:Let us not even debate the penalty it was stone cold and VAR confirmed it. The easiest way to get a penalty is to put your body in front of your opponent,,if such is clumsy he would enter the trap. I saw it coming and I was praying Ebuehi won't put the leg forward..as soon as he did I put my hands on.my head.
Anyone debating that pk has no knowledge of the rules of football.

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

oloye wrote:Let us not even debate the penalty it was stone cold and VAR confirmed it. The easiest way to get a penalty is to put your body in front of your opponent,,if such is clumsy he would enter the trap. I saw it coming and I was praying Ebuehi won't put the leg forward..as soon as he did I put my hands on.my head.
I was more interested in the player who unnecessarily played it short than Ebuehi to be honest.

Yes the player was close by, but we had 3 players there and were in control! He (Troost or was it Balogun?) played it short, putting Ebuehi under pressure, he was clumsy but should not have been put in that position.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

If not for Omeruo we would have conceded from set piece again today...he read the flight of the ball in the air like a good book. And gobbled the balls like a delicious meat pie. Immense display by the lads at the back, Rohr has built a good defensive unit. I am happy Omeruo got his groove back,looks like he is one of these boys who thrive on the big stage
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Tbite wrote:
I was more interested in the player who unnecessarily played it short than Ebuehi to be honest.

Yes the player was close by, but we had 3 players there and were in control! He (Troost or was it Balogun?) played it short, putting Ebuehi under pressure, he was clumsy but should not have been put in that position.
Omeruo controlled the ball wanted to run with the ball then saw Ebuehi coming, naturally he slowed down hoping he would get, the Icelandic player read what what was going on and exploited the lapse. No point trying to blame Omeruo,athonpoint were we in danger. The stretch of the leg was rash...allow the Iceland player to get the ball,he was backing our goal.

Dragonstout
Egg
Egg

Post by Dragonstout »

Why did Musa come off the bench in the last game?
Kneedeep
Egg
Egg

Post by Kneedeep »

Simple but clever plan by Rohr to pass the ball and force Iceland to come out and chase the ball. By the second half, they were huffing and puffing and ready to be knocked off. Musa and Omeruo were immense.

We have been shiaring out plenty of abuse but our initial ball movement and positioning out of defense is a big question mark and we will not have the luxury of covering it up with wakabout football against Argentina like we attempted to do against Croatia.
Last edited by Kneedeep on Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Advocating rational thought since 1987
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

truetalk wrote:
oloye wrote:
zee wrote:Ebuehi is still TOO RAW, but will come good in future.
But if the coach does not play him he gets called names..sometimes fans just need to step back and realise that the coaches who work with the team know the players better
He was impressive & great for a team that needed to go for the win in the 2nd half.

It was his 1st time playing on the left for Nigeria, and he had a massive impact on the pace and flow of the game in the 2nd half.

When it came to crunch time & Idowu was on the yellow, the coach had no confidence to bring Elderson on. Yet he left Aina off.

No one is stopping them from doing their job. Some of us actually make calls and recommendations that they follow afterwards.

I'll just keep it at that for now.

Rohr did not bring Elderson to play. The truth is Elderson has missed out on 2 world cups (I believe) due to injury. This is his last chance to attend a world cup, and the coach did Elderson a favor.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

I no want to be killjoy but Moses has had 2 pedestrian games if not horrible games for Naija.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
SylverEagles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SylverEagles »

Haba!! Make we fear God o!! That was a penalty all day and everyday!! In that situation all Ebuehi had to do was note the position of the Iceland player and just step back and block his passing lanes. He and Omeruo had him surrounded!
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:One question though...how come our players often fail to disguise their shots? The Icelandic defenders blocked our shots many times because our players made their intentions clear.
Etebo mostly. He is not good enough but we tolerate him.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

oloye wrote:If not for Omeruo we would have conceded from set piece again today...he read the flight of the ball in the air like a good book. And gobbled the balls like a delicious meat pie. Immense display by the lads at the back, Rohr has built a good defensive unit. I am happy Omeruo got his groove back,looks like he is one of these boys who thrive on the big stage
Seems playing in England (middlesbrough) helped him a lot -- with defensive headers.

I especially love how he moved back, judged the flight of the ball and launched himself at the ball. That useless chris smalling (United) can learn a lot from Omeruo.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?