Nigeria 2 - 0 Iceland:(Musa x 2)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

sinequanon
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria 2 - 0 Iceland:(Musa x 2)

Post by sinequanon »

Orion wrote:
sinequanon wrote:
Schillachi wrote:Guy, are you ok? 90%? Ebuehi tackled a man that wasn't in a position to do much with the ball and you blame Omeruo 90%? Wake up dude. Perhaps you meant 10%
One back heel and it could have been a goal. Ebuehi HAS to put the ball behind in that situation. it was a bad tactical error not to do so.
The ball was short and Ebuehi couldn't reach it fast enough so it was like a 50-50 situation with the Icelandic player. He should have allowed the Icelandic player to have the ball and just move to block him from the goal as best he could.
What???!!!!

You put the ball behind, and face the corner! You don't let the dude have the ball in the penalty area, after a mistake that has put the defense out of position!

As for Omeruo, it looked like he was caught in two minds and ended up doing neither, but running the ball short. Worrying signs from both players. The tactics in that situation should be routine. There is no time to be working it out. Omeruo couldn't see who was coming, and should have cut the losses and hoofed the ball to the sideline. When he failed to do that, (and Ebuehi should have been ready for anything to go wrong) Ebuehi should have put the ball behind. All that should have been covered in training. Even if Omeruo had made the pass, chances are that Ebuehi would have been under too much pressure to do anything but what Omeruo should have done in the first place. So, percentage-wise, it was a complete tactical failure.
There'll be time enough for counting, when the dealing's done..

https://voca.ro/1dk47QJEvGY2
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

sinequanon wrote:
Orion wrote:
sinequanon wrote:
Schillachi wrote:Guy, are you ok? 90%? Ebuehi tackled a man that wasn't in a position to do much with the ball and you blame Omeruo 90%? Wake up dude. Perhaps you meant 10%
One back heel and it could have been a goal. Ebuehi HAS to put the ball behind in that situation. it was a bad tactical error not to do so.
The ball was short and Ebuehi couldn't reach it fast enough so it was like a 50-50 situation with the Icelandic player. He should have allowed the Icelandic player to have the ball and just move to block him from the goal as best he could.
What???!!!!

You put the ball behind, and face the corner! You don't let the dude have the ball in the penalty area, after a mistake that has put the defense out of position!

As for Omeruo, it looked like he was caught in two minds and ended up doing neither, but running the ball short. Worrying signs from both players. The tactics in that situation should be routine. There is no time to be working it out. Omeruo couldn't see who was coming, and should have cut the losses and hoofed the ball to the sideline. When he failed to do that, (and Ebuehi should have been ready for anything to go wrong) Ebuehi should have put the ball behind. All that should have been covered in training. Even if Omeruo had made the pass, chances are that Ebuehi would have been under too much pressure to do anything but what Omeruo should have done in the first place. So, percentage-wise, it was a complete tactical failure.
I see your point regarding an overall tactical error, but considering the error was already made in that situation, what measure could Ebuehi have taken to prevent a penalty?

Clearly, he wasn't favorite to reach the ball first hence the reason he stretched his leg, which the crafty Icelandic striker anticipated and was able to run in front of him in time to make contact.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

sinequanon wrote:
ohsee wrote:
sinequanon wrote:
Odas wrote:
kbt wrote:
Odas wrote:Now, we have to beat Argentina and move on to the next stage. We have our FATE on our hands - completely
Yes, but a draw will see us through even if Iceland beat Croatia.
Good, but let's aim for a win against Argentina
Absolutely. And they can't be in two minds about it. Argentina will not be in two minds.

If Argentina are forced to start taking risks, the way to exploit that is to remain attack minded, not park bus.

In any case, it is most likely that Argentina will play for set pieces, and exploit any weaknesses Nigeria has in this area. Trying to park bus would be a very bad idea for Nigeria -- suicidal.
Chief, we need to park the bus against a team with Messi and Aguero. To not be compact in defence is equally suicidal. But it has to be a two prong strategy: we also need to practice swift counterattacking with deadly intent when we get the ball to take advantage of the slow and mistake prone Argie defence. Otamendi is the slowest defender at the World Cup, and one of either Iheanacho or Musa should always hang off his shoulder.
Expect Argentina to be throwing themselves about for free kicks, penalties and set pieces. That is where the main danger will come from. (I even have a feeling that Messi is going to put one UNDER the wall, and hope to catch the keeper asleep.

You know as well as I that parking the bus is not two-pronged. So, what we are saying is not very different. It is a question of how compact. I don't think that counterattacking on the break is going to work. They need to let Argentina come, Messi and all, and have confidence that Argentina will be forced to be more exposed than they are. The counterpunch should not be on the break. That is too cagey and compact, and playing to Argentina's strength. They need to allow Argentina to get kamikaze goals, but punish them heavily for it. That is a tough mentality, but I think that it is going to be necessary.
Excellent points. I see an all attacking team from the Argies, with both Dybala, Aguero and Messi starting. It won't be easy, but if we can take advantage of the numerous opportunities that will come, we can prevail.
sinequanon
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by sinequanon »

Orion wrote:Clearly, he wasn't favorite to reach the ball first hence the reason he stretched his leg, which the crafty Icelandic striker anticipated and was able to run in front of him in time to make contact.
He was easily favourite if he intended to SLIDE in and put the ball out. He would have made contact with the ball and put it out. No penalty. He takes a couple of extra unnecessary steps. Too slow.

Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

sinequanon wrote:
Orion wrote:Clearly, he wasn't favorite to reach the ball first hence the reason he stretched his leg, which the crafty Icelandic striker anticipated and was able to run in front of him in time to make contact.
He was easily favourite if he intended to SLIDE in and put the ball out. He would have made contact with the ball and put it out. No penalty. He takes a couple of extra unnecessary steps. Too slow.
Good point. Although I've also seen defenders allow the striker to have the ball in a corner like that, away from the goal, and simply move to block him from goal.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Nice one!!!
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
sinequanon
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by sinequanon »

Orion wrote:
sinequanon wrote:
Good point. Although I've also seen defenders allow the striker to have the ball in a corner like that, away from the goal, and simply move to block him from goal.
Very dangerous in this situation, I think. Too close to the goal, and a team like Argentina has players with wicked back heel that can get through or get the corner anyway. Percentage says put it out, imo.

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

sinequanon wrote:
Orion wrote:
sinequanon wrote:
Very dangerous in this situation, I think. Too close to the goal, and a team like Argentina has players with wicked back heel that can get through or get the corner anyway. Percentage says put it out, imo.
He does not have to make the challenge, allow the attacker have the ball ,he was backing the goal, sheepherd away from goal. What I can say in his defence is simply the attacker set him up by simply running into his path. The attacker was clever he saw Ebuehi going for the ball and inserted his body...simple. When Musa caught in front of the Icelandic defender it was the same principle, cut in front of the defender put your body in his path and make him touch you. Ebuehi thought he could get there first..he got it wrong...he was rash but he made a genuine mistake. I am happy the penalty was lost. I still prefer him playing that position he added more to our attack.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
sinequanon
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by sinequanon »

oloye wrote:
sinequanon wrote:
Orion wrote:
sinequanon wrote:
He does not have to make the challenge, allow the attacker have the ball ,he was backing the goal, shepherd away from goal. What I can say in his defence is simply the attacker set him up by simply running into his path. The attacker was clever he saw Ebuehi going for the ball and inserted his body...simple. When Musa caught in front of the Icelandic defender it was the same principle, cut in front of the defender put your body in his path and make him touch you. Ebuehi thought he could get there first..he got it wrong...he was rash but he made a genuine mistake. I am happy the penalty was lost. I still prefer him playing that position he added more to our attack.
Why? What is the point? Chances are, he is going to back heel the ball and either get it through or win the corner off a rebound, anyway. It is really dangerous. Why take such a risk of the ball getting through, for so little possibility of gain? There are two Icelandic players waiting for the back-heel, your defence is scrambling out of shape. Why take the risk? Put it behind!

It is crucial that a team knows when to do damage limitation.

Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

oloye wrote:
sinequanon wrote:
Orion wrote:
sinequanon wrote:
When Musa caught in front of the Icelandic defender it was the same principle, cut in front of the defender put your body in his path and make him touch you.
I'm sorry, it is not the same. Ebuehi already had his leg moving towards the ball and the attacker quickly flicked his own leg in front of the already moving leg and made unavoidable contact. Ebuehi could not stop the momentum of his moving leg at that point. It's not a clear-cut penalty and initially, the ref didn't give it. The pressure of the VAR and knowing everyone will be seeing that Ebuehi made contact is what made him give it after the review.
Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

sinequanon wrote:
Orion wrote:
sinequanon wrote:
Bro common.. Like Orion said, all he had to do was let him have the ball and just stay behind him..
NIGERIAN BADBOY!
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

sorry guys had to slide this in.. enjoy

[/video]
Roger Kengele
Egg
Egg

Post by Roger Kengele »

Where are the trumpets?

I miss them.
"...il n'est rien de caché qui ne doive être découvert, rien de secret qui ne doive être mis au jour."
(Marc 4, 22.)
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

I just enta house. Na Super Eagles fault. :D :D :D

I am still very happy and buzzing. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Up Eagus :thumb: Up Naija :thumbs:
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Cellular wrote:
Amen wrote:Musa now has a no insult or abuse clause on CE for life. Biko. Odawise fight for here.
Kpom!

We will ban VanCity to boot.
You don forget Bullimia12?
Both of them have gone AWOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

9jaMan wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
9jaMan wrote:Nigeria balling
I can’t believe you have the balls to still post... some people have no shame

You are a clown, I am all for SE :thumbs:

But I still speak up when I have to
Yeah, but you need to learn to speak from your mouth, not your backside. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

oloye wrote:
sinequanon wrote:
Orion wrote:
sinequanon wrote:
He does not have to make the challenge, allow the attacker have the ball ,he was backing the goal, sheepherd away from goal. What I can say in his defence is simply the attacker set him up by simply running into his path. The attacker was clever he saw Ebuehi going for the ball and inserted his body...simple. When Musa caught in front of the Icelandic defender it was the same principle, cut in front of the defender put your body in his path and make him touch you. Ebuehi thought he could get there first..he got it wrong...he was rash but he made a genuine mistake. I am happy the penalty was lost. I still prefer him playing that position he added more to our attack.
Dean Oloye, as usual you nailed it.............
I have 'rewatched' that penalty scene a zillion times.
It was bigtime 'amateur hour' by Omeruo and Ebuehi , you just DON'T do that at any level of professional football.................................that 'amateur-hour' nearly destroyed the work done by Musa and the whole team.
Let it not happen again in this tournament.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Amokachi flying

[/video]
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Nigeria does not have to be that compact with Argentina, Croatia did not give Messi any special attention, they relied on their defence to be resolute which they just did, they knew argentine defence was not good and they took advantage of that, i feel we should go at them, let them be the ones that need to man mark our strikers, why fear at this stage? Their camp is in disarray, players openly disrespecting their coach on national TV, that is indiscipline, Nigeria should take advantage and heap their heaviest defeat in world cup history
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

marko wrote:Nigeria does not have to be that compact with Argentina, Croatia did not give Messi any special attention, they relied on their defence to be resolute which they just did, they knew argentine defence was not good and they took advantage of that, i feel we should go at them, let them be the ones that need to man mark our strikers, why fear at this stage? Their camp is in disarray, players openly disrespecting their coach on national TV, that is indiscipline, Nigeria should take advantage and heap their heaviest defeat in world cup history
You do not give enough credit to the croatian attack. Mordi goal was superb. The penalty conceded by Nigeria could also have led to a goal, just like the mistake by the argentina goalkeeper did. But I agre with you Nigeria should play her strength which is attacking football. Parking the bus would be playing against Argentina's strength.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

camex wrote:
marko wrote:Nigeria does not have to be that compact with Argentina, Croatia did not give Messi any special attention, they relied on their defence to be resolute which they just did, they knew argentine defence was not good and they took advantage of that, i feel we should go at them, let them be the ones that need to man mark our strikers, why fear at this stage? Their camp is in disarray, players openly disrespecting their coach on national TV, that is indiscipline, Nigeria should take advantage and heap their heaviest defeat in world cup history
You do not give enough credit to the croatian attack. Mordi goal was superb. The penalty conceded by Nigeria could also have led to a goal, just like the mistake by the argentina goalkeeper did. But I agre with you Nigeria should play her strength which is attacking football. Parking the bus would be playing against Argentina's strength.
Of course, i gave credit to Croatia, their attack killed argentina, argentine defence is hopeless and will present Nigeria plenty opportunities, they will not be compact as they will be attacking all day
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
uglyoneiamagain
Egg
Egg

Post by uglyoneiamagain »

Did anyone notice how far up Troost and Balogun got even after the second goal? was quite surprised when a Mikel cross was met by a diving header from Ekong for instance but yet looked like we had 3/4 players at the back for cover.

Not a bad development and does not make us as static so long as there are enough runners at the back.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Sinequannon in the Nest! Boom, boom, boom and everybody say wayo, wayo! High Chief, nno!