Nigeria 2 - 0 Iceland:(Musa x 2)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria 2 - 0 Iceland:(Musa x 2)

Post by oloye »

Just beat the useless Argies and leave all the computations aside. If we don't beat them now when are we going to beat them...they are down...we need to put them out of their Misery.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Thunder
Egg
Egg

Post by Thunder »

oloye wrote:Let us not even debate the penalty it was stone cold and VAR confirmed it. The easiest way to get a penalty is to put your body in front of your opponent,,if such is clumsy he would enter the trap. I saw it coming and I was praying Ebuehi won't put the leg forward..as soon as he did I put my hands on.my head.
In law, the Icelander jumped in while Ebuehi leg was already in motion. Watch again.
WHATEVER, WHEREEVER, & WHENEVER, FOREVER ARSENAL! I am an ARSENALIST!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Mister Dolly wrote:Okay guys...give Rohr some props!! He made the demanded changes and his boys responded well!! Kudos to our defence!! Save for the Ebuehi error they were more disciplined today!!

To start the game.

His in game adjustment is still VERY slow. Etebo had an off game. Should have been replaced much earlier by Iwobi. And Moses was very pedestrian.
I liked that he saw that Idowu wasnt offering us anything either defensively or offensively.

But he needs to work on being timely with the subs.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

truetalk wrote:
Mister Dolly wrote:This group might come down to goals difference. We should try and score one more
Hopefully, the Croatian subs play with Pride and don't roll over for Iceland.

It won't matter if we get the win against Argentina though.

There is everything to play for and quite a few possible permutations. If Croatia lose and Nigeria beat Argentina by a good margin, Croatia could end up runners up, with Nigeria topping the group on match day 3. So they have to go for the win.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

mystic wrote:
shaq wrote:The Idowu left back experiment should stop now. I'll take Ebuehi at left back. Thank you

Depends on what you're asking him to do. He's no wing-back. That's very clear.
He has defended well, but will struggle in a 3-5-2 setup that is ideal for this team.

Hopefully Ebuehi's pace will help, but Rohr should consider occasionally switching (wings) for Ebuehi & Moses, the way we did for Moses & Simon in the qualifiers.

I'll still settle for more minutes for Iwobi in that AM position. He, Mikel & Etebo should be rotating in that midfield beside Ndidi (who should always play). Onazi should plant his behind on the deep side of the bench for now, with Ogu ahead of him in the midfield, & also serving as back up (with Awaziem) to the back 3.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Thunder wrote:
oloye wrote:Let us not even debate the penalty it was stone cold and VAR confirmed it. The easiest way to get a penalty is to put your body in front of your opponent,,if such is clumsy he would enter the trap. I saw it coming and I was praying Ebuehi won't put the leg forward..as soon as he did I put my hands on.my head.
In law, the Icelander jumped in while Ebuehi leg was already in motion. Watch again.
Pure PK!

I hate when we give up soft PK... especially in a none goal scoring situation.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

I hate when players commit such fouls when the player and ball are going away from the goal and even towards the touchline. Just usher him away without trying to tackle.

Poor discipline there.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

balo wrote:Omeruo was awesome today. In fact the 3 CBs did a good job together.

He was immense! Won everything in the air. Somebody don lose dia starting spot be dat
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

oloye wrote:If not for Omeruo we would have conceded from set piece again today...he read the flight of the ball in the air like a good book. And gobbled the balls like a delicious meat pie. Immense display by the lads at the back, Rohr has built a good defensive unit. I am happy Omeruo got his groove back,looks like he is one of these boys who thrive on the big stage
He sure got his groove back.

Timely interceptions. Confident in the air.

It was a game where he was on a different mental level. Was reading the passes and the passing lanes very well.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Tbite wrote:
I was more interested in the player who unnecessarily played it short than Ebuehi to be honest.

Yes the player was close by, but we had 3 players there and were in control! He (Troost or was it Balogun?) played it short, putting Ebuehi under pressure, he was clumsy but should not have been put in that position.
O boy, Coloured TV never reach Australia abi na PNG?

It was Omeruo.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

oloye wrote:Just beat the useless Argies and leave all the computations aside. If we don't beat them now when are we going to beat them...they are down...we need to put them out of their Misery.
It will be a heated game. Two teams that know each other.

With players who will not give an inch.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

Cellular wrote:I no want to be killjoy but Moses has had 2 pedestrian games if not horrible games for Naija.
...but de assist was great.
...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. - Phil. 2: 12

...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. - Josh. 24: 15

"You need to grow up and respect the fact that people can disagree with you without you getting personal about it. People have a right to express their opinion and you have no right to try and suppress the rights of others because you do not like or disagree with it." - Waffiman
SylverEagles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SylverEagles »

oloye wrote:Just beat the useless Argies and leave all the computations aside. If we don't beat them now when are we going to beat them...they are down...we need to put them out of their Misery.
Bros. It will not be easy at all. Yea, Argentina looks down and out but they still have some of the best players in the world on the field. They could just click against us.

Defensively we have to continue to be solid. :thumb:

By the way, you didn't answer my question about set-pieces and the SE. Do we actually not practice them? :oops: :oops:
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Tbite wrote:G'Day Mate

replace you with Iceland. I know you are Croatian.

:taunt:
I notified my Croatian contacts to tie Iceland. To optimize things for Nigeria And Croatia. After all, we want to win the group and avoid France.

It's been...arranged.

:taunt:
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
Amen
Egg
Egg

Post by Amen »

We thank God say JM give us small expo. :thumb: :thumb: Glad pride did not come in the way. Obi was where he should always be. An outlet and the heart of the team.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

truetalk wrote:
Tbite wrote:
I was more interested in the player who unnecessarily played it short than Ebuehi to be honest.

Yes the player was close by, but we had 3 players there and were in control! He (Troost or was it Balogun?) played it short, putting Ebuehi under pressure, he was clumsy but should not have been put in that position.
O boy, Coloured TV never reach Australia abi na PNG?

It was Omeruo.
happened quickly, they didn't show the replay of the pass...I probably forgot.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

SylverEagles wrote:
Bros. It will not be easy at all. Yea, Argentina looks down and out but they still have some of the best players in the world on the field. They could just click against us.

Defensively we have to continue to be solid. :thumb:

By the way, you didn't answer my question about set-pieces and the SE. Do we actually not practice them? :oops: :oops:

Going to be war. This has all the makings of a memorable game. Argentina must win. Nigeria practically must too.
Kneedeep
Egg
Egg

Post by Kneedeep »

fabio wrote:
FT: Nigeria 2-0 Iceland

So that result is good for Argentina on paper at least.

They now need to beat Nigeria in their final game and hope Iceland fail to beat Croatia.

Lionel Messi's men can still advance with an Iceland victory, as long as they finish with a higher goal difference (they are currently on -3, with Iceland on -2).

But that if they beat Nigeria is a big if after that performance. I doubt Argentina's haphazard defence will relish facing the pace of Ahmed Musa and Kelechi Iheanacho.
This BBC sef
Kelechi + Pace :?: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Advocating rational thought since 1987
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Argentina will be a different game, pistols at dawn, both teams know national pride is at stake. Potential to be the best game of the tournament. There will be blood.
uglyoneiamagain
Egg
Egg

Post by uglyoneiamagain »

camex wrote:
uglyoneiamagain wrote:
camex wrote:
Tbite wrote:
mate wrote:
kbt wrote:
Odas wrote:Now, we have to beat Argentina and move on to the next stage. We have our FATE on our hands - completely
Yes, but a draw will see us through even if Iceland beat Croatia.
Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't it come down to goal difference?
Our GD is 0, Argentina's would be -3 in the event of a draw. Icelands would be 0 as well if you won 2-0 against Croatia and +1 if you won 3-0

I think unless Croatia significantly weaken their team, it is unlikely Iceland would go through in that scenario.

Argentina is only going to qualify if they win, they can forget about drawing.
I agree, the only unknown, I think, is whether Croatia will send their 1st team against Iceland as they are already qualified.
the might because if they have a heavy loss and we beat Argentina by a few goals without reply, we top the group so they won't want that.
They have + 5 goal average. Nigeria has 0 at the moment. Your scenario is highly unlikely.

unlikely but a lot has been the case in this WC as was their match with Argentina. if they lose by a margin of 3 goals or more by fielding their second team or being laid back and Nigeria pull off a similar win, it could happen is all I am saying and not as improbable actually going by things in this WC.

Need to clarify if there's a head to head pull all the same.
Last edited by uglyoneiamagain on Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

uglyoneiamagain wrote:
unlikely but a lot has been the case in this WC as was their match with Argentina. if they lose by a margin of 3 goals or more by fielding their second team or being laid back and Nigeria pull off a similar win same, it could happen is all I am saying an not as improbable actually going by things in this WC.

Need to clarify if there's a head to head pull all the same.
Its GD before H2H in this world cup.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Even with a weakened team, I can't see Iceland putting much past Croatia. We're 4 - 1 - 1 against them all time, with most played in the past 2 tournament campaigns. Even when they beat us in Iceland last year, it came on a lucky 90th minute breakdown by us...where we dominated possession.

You saw Iceland today. They punch above their weight but are limited on talent. I have to believe our bench can handle them. As such, it raises the odds of Nigeria needing a tie or better...with some breathing space.

We will see. I think it is interesting to see the Nigerian approach: how much do you commit for a win vs accepting a tie.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

mate wrote:Even with a weakened team, I can't see Iceland putting much past Croatia. We're 4 - 1 - 1 against them all time, with most played in the past 2 tournament campaigns. Even when they beat us in Iceland last year, it came on a lucky 90th minute breakdown by us...where we dominated possession.

You saw Iceland today. They punch above their weight but are limited on talent. I have to believe our bench can handle them. As such, it raises the odds of Nigeria needing a tie or better...with some breathing space.

We will see. I think it is interesting to see the Nigerian approach: how much do you commit for a win vs accepting a tie.
You do both. I.e. go conservatively for a win. But we definitely do not want to play Argentina like we did them in Brazil, that would be foolish.

We must be somewhat conservative. Fast breaks fine, but we need to help out Uzoho.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT