Argentina 0-3 Croatia | Pivotal Group D Match

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Godfather
Egg
Egg
Re: Argentina 0-3 Croatia | Pivotal Group D Match

Post by Godfather »

“Achebe was a writer in whose company the Prison walls fell down.” – Dr. Nelson Mandela.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Argentina 0-1 Croatia | Pivotal Group D Match

Post by mate »

ohsee wrote:
mate wrote:HRVATSKA!!!
Congrats mate. Great game! Modric and Rakatic showed today why playing for Real Madrid and Barca is not to be dismissed.

Thanks man. This is the culmination of lots of things: good players, a national style, decent coaching, upgraded program management...and, as always, some luck.We got to the 2nd round. Now it's 1 game at a time.

And I meant it: Nigeria can win their next 2 games. You gave to believe that. And try accordingly.

Croatia gave Nigeria respect for a reason. Collectively, playing to potential, Nigeria is capable of beating Iceland and Argentina.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Argentina 0-1 Croatia | Pivotal Group D Match

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Cellular wrote:Otamendi with yet another bodyblow.

Glad to see the lack of sportsmanship displayed by the Argentines.
In other words, water is wet ...

Wha choo looking at?!
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Coach wrote:The ball needs to get from defence to midfield and then attack before it an find Aguero, talk less of a well guarded Messi. Oga Kun had fewer touches than a handcuffed Bill Cosby at a casting audition and yet, Oga is without doubt one of the game's finest forwards. When world quality can be reduced to absolute sh*te, the issue cannot be within the individual alone. Argentina don't know how to get the best out of Messi, rather have an unshakeable belief that stray passes in his direction and balls to feet when surrounded, are enough to initiate the super saiyan,

From a purely tactical perspective, it was as close to suicide as it gets today, 3-4-3, with no defensive cover wide, an uncertain, asynchronous press and a build from the back approach with half the team in the opposing field and ball shy centre backs asked to play David Luiz. Trailing, Sampaoli yanks Aguero for Higuain, changing little for large yet making no effort to close the gap between attack and midfield.

As an admirer of Sampaoli's work with Sevilla and Chile, this has been disappointing, in truth his whole tenure has been. Poor decisions and shocking systems of play. Granted Argentina don't have the legs of Chile, but what he pulled today was utterly abysmal. Paint his face black and any hoe of a Rooney rule are dashed.
Coachito, continue to find excuses for your boy. He has played with different players and different coaches--to no avail. In big national team games, where he should carry the team on his shoulders and demand the ball, he wimps out. Enough of the excuses. Accept the truth that you do not want to face: Messi only shines at Barca.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Goldleaf wrote:I will NOT be surprised if Jorge Sampaoli resigns tonight.
That 3-0 defeat is apparently their biggest World Cup defeat since 1958!
Kai! :shock: :scared: :scared:
Biggest defeat in the first round, correct.

Wha choo looking at?!
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Rawlings wrote:
Siddonlook11 wrote:kai even if Nigeria :woot: :woot: :woot: comes home ..my belle dey sweet say messi is going home too
you sound like a Ghananese shoemaker
more like " I better pass my neighbour " :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

They tried. When Spain beat them 6-1, they said it was because Messi wasn't around...at least this was only 3-0. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

marko wrote:If iceland wins, nigeria is out, its that simple
Captain Obvious, make we promote you to Major? :D
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

cruxifixoy2k wrote:Pundits are very optimistic that Iceland will beat Nigeria.
Well, they should be.

But our coach now thinks we will win this game. No more diplomatic bullcrap.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Argentina 0-2 Croatia | Pivotal Group D Match

Post by Cellular »

ohsee wrote:
SylverEagles wrote:We can lampoon the Argentina defence all we want and they surely deserve it but what has Messi and co done up front? 1 goal in two games...
Anybody who talks of Messi in context of the GOAT, I will personally direct the person to the nearest transformer so he can hug it in heavy rain and lightning. :mad: Messi is nothing but a club player. How many World Cups and Copa Americas will it take to show this beyond doubt? The man has no heart. No courage. Did anyone see him praying before the game instead of depending on his playing? Useless man without his Barca teamates. :mad:

Where is Al B sure? Come and talk make I see. :lol: :lol:
This old papa sef.

Why don't you post more here?
Busy wasting time on RnR. :veryangry:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Argentina 0-2 Croatia | Pivotal Group D Match

Post by ohsee »

Cellular wrote:
ohsee wrote:
SylverEagles wrote:We can lampoon the Argentina defence all we want and they surely deserve it but what has Messi and co done up front? 1 goal in two games...
Anybody who talks of Messi in context of the GOAT, I will personally direct the person to the nearest transformer so he can hug it in heavy rain and lightning. :mad: Messi is nothing but a club player. How many World Cups and Copa Americas will it take to show this beyond doubt? The man has no heart. No courage. Did anyone see him praying before the game instead of depending on his playing? Useless man without his Barca teamates. :mad:

Where is Al B sure? Come and talk make I see. :lol: :lol:
This old papa sef.

Why don't you post more here?
Busy wasting time on RnR. :veryangry:
Ogbuefi nwokem, I post here when the occasion warrants. Na Wol Cup, or to put it in Ghananese Weld Kep time, so I have abandoned Rant and Rave until mid July. :D
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Mazi, dubious or definite, Messi didn’t turn up in 2014 whilst guiding A dogsh*t Argentina to the final and picking up the MVP. Oh but he didn’t deserve it, indeed and that damning indictment is carved into the base of the trophy stand.

Argentina are hopeless, the new Holland. Cant help but feel they’re out and should they qualify, but for an almighty waking up by Sampaoli, they’re going out the moment they make it out of the group.
Last edited by Coach on Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

I've followed Argentina closely since the 1994 WC and this side is easily the worst I've seen. I was shaking my head in disbelief throughout the first half and was disappointed that the ref didn't not make any calls in favour of Croatia throughout the second half. Argentina deserved at least two red cards for dirty tackles but the ref did nothing about them. Anyways, Croatia gave them the spanking that they deserved.

Sampoali doesn't know what the hell he is doing and is on the verge of being fired. Argentina is a tactical mess and player selection is poor.

As for Messi, I think much of the criticism against him is valid but at the same time this is a team game and its not like other greats won the WC on their own. That being said, Messi has been part of the problem and will retire without a WC.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

oscar52 wrote:How do this small nations do it? Croatia population is only 4.8 people. Rivers state has more people.
...population doesn't determine how good a country is in football or anything for that matter. It is interest, commitment, patriotism, and willingness put country first. All those attributes is lacked in Nigeria (of recent) unlike the 1994 and 1996 sides.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

metalalloy wrote:Where is that clown john 12 and all the other olodos that thing that just throwing a bunch of players who play for the best clubs in the world is all you need to succeed?
...but both sides today, Argies v Croatia, have players from the biggest clubs.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Cellular wrote:
cruxifixoy2k wrote:Pundits are very optimistic that Iceland will beat Nigeria.
Well, they should be.

But our coach now thinks we will win this game. No more diplomatic bullcrap.

The bookies are NOT.

They even increased Nigeria's odds. Last I checked ot was balanced by the bookies.
Simulators have us losing, but pundits are obviously reverting to FIFA rankings without using their brains.

This is a balanced match.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT