Nigeria v Iceland....Just Saying

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Nigeria v Iceland....Just Saying

Post by Enugu II »

It seems to me that so many people are euphoric about Nigeria v Iceland after Argentina's implosion today. IMHO, this should still be one game at a time for Nigeria. Nigeria has shown nothing in its last five games to inspire any confidence that it will win tomorrow. Thus, talking about qualification is quite early.

To be honest, I want Nigeria to win tomorrow and I believe it is possible but already there are warning signs like these:

1. One just hopes the players are not cel;berating Argentina's ;loss as much as the celebration here on CE.

2. I am alarmed at the lineup announced as official for tomorrow. Echiejile and Ighalo named. For me, the missing name is Iheanacho. He is the guy who can score on half chances. Yes, I understand that Simy is possibly in the starting team because he is the only one who can duel aerially in the box with Icelandic defenders and surely there will be crosses. But I had hoped that Iheanacho will start as his partner. As for Echiejile, perhaps his defense on set pieces and his ability to win aerial duels has led to his introduction. He will give little going forward and may be we won't worry defensively since I expect Nigeria to dominate possession in this game.

3. This is one of the most organized team in this World Cup and I just hope we can find a way through because opportunities will not be much in this game.

For me this is going to be a cagey game and I hope we score first and hit them for a second on a counter but this game is far from decided and right now the Argentina loss is meaningless for Nigeria. In fact, if you think about it, that loss has now likely taken us out of the possibility of finishing first. Thus, I really didn't care whether Argentina lost or not. What matters is what we do tomorrow.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria v Iceland....Just Saying

Post by jette1 »

you opened a thread for this; proliferation of threads need to quelled abeg!!
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

jette1 wrote:you opened a thread for this; proliferation of threads need to quelled abeg!!
Yep, this is Super Eagles ooo on CE! If it was an Arsenal multiple thread then I will understand.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Enugu II wrote:It seems to me that so many people are euphoric about Nigeria v Iceland after Argentina's implosion today. IMHO, this should still be one game at a time for Nigeria. Nigeria has shown nothing in its last five games to inspire any confidence that it will win tomorrow. Thus, talking about qualification is quite early.

To be honest, I want Nigeria to win tomorrow and I believe it is possible but already there are warning signs like these:

1. One just hopes the players are not cel;berating Argentina's ;loss as much as the celebration here on CE.

2. I am alarmed at the lineup announced as official for tomorrow. Echiejile and Ighalo named. For me, the missing name is Iheanacho. He is the guy who can score on half chances. Yes, I understand that Simy is possibly in the starting team because he is the only one who can duel aerially in the box with Icelandic defenders and surely there will be crosses. But I had hoped that Iheanacho will start as his partner. As for Echiejile, perhaps his defense on set pieces and his ability to win aerial duels has led to his introduction. He will give little going forward and may be we won't worry defensively since I expect Nigeria to dominate possession in this game.

3. This is one of the most organized team in this World Cup and I just hope we can find a way through because opportunities will not be much in this game.

For me this is going to be a cagey game and I hope we score first and hit them for a second on a counter but this game is far from decided and right now the Argentina loss is meaningless for Nigeria. In fact, if you think about it, that loss has now likely taken us out of the possibility of finishing first. Thus, I really didn't care whether Argentina lost or not. What matters is what we do tomorrow.

TO BE QUITE HONEST...

...Iheanacho didn't inspire any confidence in himself the times I've seen him. It would be interesting to see what Simy does.
Bell
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Bell wrote:
Enugu II wrote:It seems to me that so many people are euphoric about Nigeria v Iceland after Argentina's implosion today. IMHO, this should still be one game at a time for Nigeria. Nigeria has shown nothing in its last five games to inspire any confidence that it will win tomorrow. Thus, talking about qualification is quite early.

TO BE QUITE HONEST...

...Iheanacho didn't inspire any confidence in himself the times I've seen him. It would be interesting to see what Simy does.
Bell

You are correct on Iheanacho but I just feel that he is the one more likely to score than Ighalo. As for Simmy, I think he is there for our set pieces and the crosses and he can hold up the ball in place of Ighalo. But I do not understand why he is going to start with Ighalo.
hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

I hope for the best but every objective evidence and instinct points towards a poor result for Nigeria. We have shown nothing in our past 5 matches that really suggests we can up our game if required. There is a sense of stagnation in this team and we are coming against a very organised opponent at a time when we are not exactly a team full of guile and we are perhaps at our weakest organisationally.
I certainly will be rooting for us but I just don’t think we have shown that we can do the business in a 90 minute encounter against a well organised and motivated side.
Good luck to the Eagles tomorrow. Let’s hope for an inspired performance and perhaps the beginning of an upward swing.
God bless and keep Nigeria and make his face shine on her undeserving as she may be.
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

Going by CE, people are no euphoric at all. You see captions like "win or lose" etc. I think peeps are generally cautious.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

icee wrote:

Going by CE, people are no euphoric at all. You see captions like "win or lose" etc. I think peeps are generally cautious.
icee,

I hope you are right. I just have very bad vibes surrounding this particular game and seeing that our line up today has not helped matters, really.
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

hestonap wrote:I hope for the best but every objective evidence and instinct points towards a poor result for Nigeria. We have shown nothing in our past 5 matches that really suggests we can up our game if required. There is a sense of stagnation in this team and we are coming against a very organised opponent at a time when we are not exactly a team full of guile and we are perhaps at our weakest organisationally.
I certainly will be rooting for us but I just don’t think we have shown that we can do the business in a 90 minute encounter against a well organised and motivated side.
Good luck to the Eagles tomorrow. Let’s hope for an inspired performance and perhaps the beginning of an upward swing.
Yes I'm hoping too. After our 1st match, Luca Modric said 2 things that caught my attention:
1. This win has given us the confidence we need to go on and do well in our remaining two group matches
2. I am sure that Nigeria will win points in this group
The 1st prediction is already happening as he said. The confidence in their ranks was a lot better than they showed in our game. Fingers crossed that he is correct on the 2nd one
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

KOC says its a 343 tomorrow, I don't get it how Simy and Ighalo can play in a 3 man forward line?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

maceo4 wrote:KOC says its a 343 tomorrow, I don't get it how Simy and Ighalo can play in a 3 man forward line?
Simy will play the 10 role (Uchebo role).
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

These boys better come good...

[/video]
Super Eagus 4 Life!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

from 4231 to 352 and now 442. AT this rate Ayo Akinfe will be a better coach for Nigeria.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

bret- hart wrote:from 4231 to 352 and now 442. AT this rate Ayo Akinfe will be a better coach for Nigeria.
343 o
Super Eagus 4 Life!
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Football has certainly changed that Nigeria in 2018 will be scared of a country called Iceland, at the same time, respect to Iceland, they knocked England out of the European championships, they can more than hold their own, they play a brand of football, even the mighty Brazil will find hard to breakdown, against France in the Euro championship, i felt they got carried away with the England victory and decided to play open with France, they should have stuck to their game plan, right now they know their limitations, they have a certain belief they can match any team in world football
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Enugu II wrote:For me this is going to be a cagey game and I hope we score first and hit them for a second on a counter but this game is far from decided and right now the Argentina loss is meaningless for Nigeria. In fact, if you think about it, that loss has now likely taken us out of the possibility of finishing first. Thus, I really didn't care whether Argentina lost or not. What matters is what we do tomorrow.
This is the problem some have complained about regarding how some fans are delusional. You said you've not seen anything to inspire you from this team in the last 5 games yet you're complaining that we can no longer top the group? Seriously?

The Argentina loss offers us more positives than negatives. Initially, looking at the group, one would say the fight for the 2 spots was between Argentina, Croatia, and Nigeria. Croatia took maximum points from us so there was nothing more we could do about them. As far as we are concerned now, the fight for the 2nd place is between 3 teams - Nigeria, Iceland, and Argentina. We want our opponents in this 3-way battle to accumulate the least amount of points as possible. We still have a chance of stopping Iceland and Argentina by taking points from them but not Croatia.

As things stand, we could beat Iceland and draw with Argentina and still qualify. So an Argentina loss is the best possible result for us IF one is not deluded in still dreaming about topping the group after losing the first game 2-0 (and confessed to not seeing anything to inspire them from the team in the last 5 games).
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

maceo4 wrote:KOC says its a 343 tomorrow, I don't get it how Simy and Ighalo can play in a 3 man forward line?
If it's 3-4-3, I welcome it. :thumb:

But if it is indeed 3-4-3 then we are talking about energy of EPL level because 3-4-3 only works for super fit players. Any flagging from the 3 upfront leaves the midfield short and if midfielders don't retreat to support the backline, disaster!

Matches featuring 3-4-3 are never goalless but end to end and high scoring.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

EII,

For some reason unknown till now, Kelechi Iheanacho does not give the aura of one that can be depended upon going into a war. It is sad but true.