BBC Nigeria Iceland prediction

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet
BBC Nigeria Iceland prediction

Post by marko »

BBC coverage
How to follow:
Watch live on BBC One at 15:30 BST; listen on BBC Radio 5 live; text commentary on the BBC Sport website
TEAM NEWS

Nigeria's vice-captain Ogenyi Onazi could return to the side after being dropped for the opening defeat by Croatia.

Oghenekaro Etebo scored an own goal in that match and could make way, while Ahmed Musa is also in contention.

Iceland could be without Johann Berg Gudmundsson, who sustained a muscle injury against Argentina.

Rurik Gislason came on for Gudmundsson in that game, and may replace him in the starting line-up.

World Cup 2018 personality quiz: Which country should you really support?
World Cup 2018: Everything you need to know in seven charts
OVERVIEW

Nigeria have the youngest squad on average at this World Cup, but the biggest concern heading into a crunch game with Iceland is that age-old problems remain. While it would be convenient to blame Nigeria's defensive frailties in the defeat by Croatia on the relative inexperience of their squad, a weakness at set-pieces has long been the Super Eagles' Achilles heel.

Since making their World Cup debut in 1994, 14 of the 27 goals they have conceded have come from a set-piece (52%), the worst percentage of any nation during that period, including an own goal from a corner in their group opener.

Conversely, organisation is very much Iceland's strength, as their impressive draw with Argentina demonstrated. Expertly drilled and rigidly disciplined, they frustrated the South Americans while giving up few clear-cut chances on their World Cup debut.

Worryingly for Nigeria, Iceland also looked threatening with a direct, long-ball orientated game that could cause a discombobulated defence no end of trouble. A second defeat for Nigeria, and they are out.

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

It's a game both teams will probably need to win to make the last 16, and Nigeria definitely can't afford to lose it after opening with a defeat.

Prediction: 1-1
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: BBC Nigeria Iceland prediction

Post by marko »

14 out of 27 goals were conceded by set plays! Iceland will be looking for direct long balls, that is Iceland only route to scoring, they do not have any plan B, so their plan A must work for them, what they have going for them is that defence line, reminiscent of the Old skool Italians, you have to make every opportunity count

Please CE tell me what Onazi brings to the table?
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

marko wrote:14 out of 27 goals were conceded by set plays! Iceland will be looking for direct long balls, that is Iceland only route to scoring, they do not have any plan B, so their plan A must work for them, what they have going for them is that defence line, reminiscent of the Old skool Italians, you have to make every opportunity count

Onazi brings energy which was lacking with the lackadaisical play against Croatia.
I am happy
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Dammy wrote:
marko wrote:14 out of 27 goals were conceded by set plays! Iceland will be looking for direct long balls, that is Iceland only route to scoring, they do not have any plan B, so their plan A must work for them, what they have going for them is that defence line, reminiscent of the Old skool Italians, you have to make every opportunity count

Onazi brings energy which was lacking with the lackadaisical play against Croatia.
I have not seen this energy for over a year now. I hope he can ignite it today sha!
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

oloye wrote:
Dammy wrote:

I have not seen this energy for over a year now. I hope he can ignite it today sha!
Oloye he does bring energy i think even against Senegal they knocked him out, He would be up for this game, I will bring him in,
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Onazi has underperformed for the SE for a long time and this time, Rohr made him pay for it.
A rejuvenated Ogenyi Onazi may work out well to our favour.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

It does look like a draw. I don't see how Nigeria will score a goal today. But anything is possible.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Onazi brings strength, you can only bring this when you are fully fit, the Onazi i saw against England was unfit, thats why he struggled to make any sort of impact, so unless he has reagined fitness, he should sysrt from the bench

Marko
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...na siddon look, yeah, anything fit happen.
Don't know, can't predict the out come.
It may be a long 90 minutes, or may be a quickie hope faded for both sides.
For the SE, they need a collective hump, clean 100% mind on the task.
Don't give up unnecessary foul in your half, close to the box.
What happens here is, as the opponent prepares for the freekick confusion reigns. Brains go blank, errors occur.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Prince wrote:
oloye wrote:
Dammy wrote:

Oloye he does bring energy i think even against Senegal they knocked him out, He would be up for this game, I will bring him in,
Prince , i do not deny his ability to inject energy into the game, i am one of his strong advocates based on this. But this energy has been missing for some time. When many people talk about the quality of players , it is the image of what was done a couple of years ago they nostalgically refer to as opposed to current form. I will give anything to have the old Onazi in the middle of the park. I hope he can bring it on
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho