Serbia (1) - Swiss (2) - Xhaka bulala

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mate
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Serbia (1) - Swiss (1) - Xhaka bulala

Post by mate »

oloye wrote:How did Serbia lose this match? Look at that naive and lazy defending , trying to keep offside ....

It actually was naive and lazy. So late, Serbia should have been more alert and cautious. That was a bad goal to take so late.

But as others pointed out, Serbia got shafted on an earlier PK. I'm no fan of Serbia given I'm Croatian, but I call it like it is. Inconsistency here.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

metalalloy wrote:
oloye wrote:How did Serbia lose this match? Look at that naive and lazy defending , trying to keep offside ....
They already have a win, why were they pressing up so high this late in the game?
Wei said. I did not get why they did not have a more controlled approach but gave up a 1 v 1 opportunity that cost them dearly. Now they must beat Brazil
Lampard: 101 goals and counting.......

64 GAMES UNBEATEN AT STAMFORD BRIDGE... A NEW RECORD IS SET.....
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Serbia (1) - Swiss (2) - Xhaka bulala

Post by Cito »

oloye wrote:Wait oh this useless linesman did not flag offside but does after the ball goes out....have these guys all lost their minds?
They are flagging according to instruction. If close, keep your flag down. Easier to chuck off a goal than add one. VAR verifies goals. If he flags a legit chance, it just killsw the option.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Cito wrote:
oloye wrote:Wait oh this useless linesman did not flag offside but does after the ball goes out....have these guys all lost their minds?
They are flagging according to instruction. If close, keep your flag down. Easier to chuck off a goal than add one. VAR verifies goals. If he flags a legit chance, it just killsw the option.
The ball went outside and the rule says if they are not sure leave it for VAR to decide.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
bk-one
Egg
Egg

Post by bk-one »

Xhaka scored just wonder what my fellow gooner Anik did when that shot got in....hope he didnt kick and break his table(just joking Anik). Not meaning to rub it in but wonder what will happen if Özil hit a brace tomorrow.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

danfo driver wrote:I wonder which club Shaquiri is going to con to purchase him from Stoke after World Cup :rotf:
Liverpool
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

oloye wrote:So two players rugby tackled Mitrovic with a tackle that even Rugby have declared illegal VAR stays queit... nonsense
Don't mind them. They pick and chose when they want to make use of VAR. Apparently, that sort of pk call has only been made just ONCE so far in this WC (the ekong foul) in spite of the refs being instructed to call it and or use VAR to spot it.
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

Shaqiri and Xhaka have caused some controversy with their celebrations...With their Albanian Eagle celebration. Initially I though it was some sort of Wakanda thing I was thinking WTF
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

metalalloy wrote:
oloye wrote:So two players rugby tackled Mitrovic with a tackle that even Rugby have declared illegal VAR stays queit... nonsense

E be like sey we need VAR for these VAR people.
...like players and coaches attend press conference after matches, officials need to start showing their faces to answer questions about the game.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

mate wrote:

It actually was naive and lazy. So late, Serbia should have been more alert and cautious. That was a bad goal to take so late.

But as others pointed out, Serbia got shafted on an earlier PK. I'm no fan of Serbia given I'm Croatian, but I call it like it is. Inconsistency here.
Is there a good goal to take late? Perhaps an own goal? :P :)
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

AreaDaddy wrote:Shaqiri and Xhaka have caused some controversy with their celebrations...With their Albanian Eagle celebration. Initially I though it was some sort of Wakanda thing I was thinking WTF

I wouldn't be surprised if they're fined for this. I believe Shaqiri might have had the Kosovo flag on a boot. Talk about provocation.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

analyzer wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
They already have a win, why were they pressing up so high this late in the game?
Wei said. I did not get why they did not have a more controlled approach but gave up a 1 v 1 opportunity that cost them dearly. Now they must beat Brazil
They felt they had to win this game and wrap up qualification before facing Brazil. A tie here & they would probably still have needed to beat Brazil due to goal differences. They only beat Costa Rica by 1, while Brazil beat them by 2. With nothing left for Costa Rica to play for, Switzerland is likely to beat them by more than a goal, so Serbia had to try & win this game.

Mathematically, a tie was better, but functionally, it was almost the same as a loss, with Brazil coming up next.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

mate wrote:
AreaDaddy wrote:Shaqiri and Xhaka have caused some controversy with their celebrations...With their Albanian Eagle celebration. Initially I though it was some sort of Wakanda thing I was thinking WTF

I wouldn't be surprised if they're fined for this. I believe Shaqiri might have had the Kosovo flag on a boot. Talk about provocation.
Too much drama with you Balkans, even when playing for other nations.

Arnautovic followed Alaba to the Nigerian camp & refused to say anything about the Nigeria/Croatia game because he is Serbian(& Austrian) & he did not want to say anything that would start a storm.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

truetalk wrote:
analyzer wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
They felt they had to win this game and wrap up qualification before facing Brazil. A tie here & they would probably still have needed to beat Brazil due to goal differences. They only beat Costa Rica by 1, while Brazil beat them by 2. With nothing left for Costa Rica to play for, Switzerland is likely to beat them by more than a goal, so Serbia had to try & win this game.

Mathematically, a tie was better, but functionally, it was almost the same as a loss, with Brazil coming up next.
Nope. A draw today meant that Swiss would have needed all 3pts vs costa rica (no easy feat) to overtake Serbia in the event they lose to Brazil. Or a draw would've at worst assured a 3-way tie at 5pts. That was naive decision making by the Serbia coaching staff and players.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

green4life wrote:
truetalk wrote:
analyzer wrote:
metalalloy wrote:

Nope. A draw today meant that Swiss would have needed all 3pts vs costa rica (no easy feat) to overtake Serbia in the event they lose to Brazil. Or a draw would've at worst assured a 3-way tie at 5pts. That was naive decision making by the Serbia coaching staff and players.
You're making my point. Switzerland would like have a relatively easier time vs Costa Rica (compared to Serbia and Brazil) since Costa Rica is already out. If Serbia win, they qualify regardless of anything with 6 points & knock Switzerland out. If not, they technically still have another opportunity against Brazil. Sitting back for a draw was just as good as a loss, so better to go for it.
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

db10 wrote:two players grabbing the serbian forward in the box on a cross and no call. wow.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

theYemster wrote:
mate wrote:

Is there a good goal to take late? Perhaps an own goal? :P :)

It would be less bad to concede that goal much earlier!

:taunt: