Rohr had to convince Mikel and Moses to change positions...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Rohr had to convince Mikel and Moses to change positions

Post by metalalloy »

deanotito wrote:Honestly not sure it worked for Moses. Didn’t see much difference in his positioning vs. Croatia match

Go watch the game again. He played a lot more defense against Iceland and was very involved offensively. Moses is the primary focus of our offense.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Defensive wise he was solid. And with one assist for his offensive contribution....he has done all that is needed . Sometimes I wonder if people know what players are tasked to do on the field.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

oloye wrote:Defensive wise he was solid. And with one assist for his offensive contribution....he has done all that is needed . Sometimes I wonder if people know what players are tasked to do on the field.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

As one of Obiesta’s biggest critics when green on the greenery, his display yesterday, cautiously colossal, deceptively dominant, exercised excellence in those unspoken arts, was a joy to behold. This wasn't an aged, ring rusty, made in China copycat version of a Lynn Oslo leviathan working wonders in the trequartista, it was a young old man embracing age and all its wisdom and vintage.

Far removed from the Okocha-induced mirage of marauding trickery, this was Obi old and omnipotent. At long last, Nigeria was acceptant and the invitation, duly accepted. Obi was akin to the old Dad playing try and get the ball in the garden at a family barbecue, with a thousand little legs buzzing about him like bees to the honey pot. None able to unscrew the lid. This was the Obi many had pined for, withdrawn, deep-lying, the game ahead of him and yet ahead of the game in thought and execution. Pass completion has been higher, but seldom has one seen Obi, green and full of beans in the dying embers. Gentle John enjoyed the freedom of a niche he knows too well and one for which his square slots perfectly into the four-sided aperture.

It has been a long time coming, but alas, when the watching nation needed it so dearly. It came.
Last edited by Coach on Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lekanlij
Egg
Egg

Post by lekanlij »

Coach wrote:As one of Obiesta’s biggest critics when green on the greenery, his display yesterday, cautiously colossal, deceptively dominant, exercised excellence in those unspoken arts, was a joy to behold. This wasn't an aged, ring rusty, made in China copycat version of a Lynn Oslo leviathan working wonders in the trequartista, it was a young old man embracing age and all its wisdom and vintage.

Far removed from the Okocha-induced mirage of marauding trickery, this was Obi old and omnipotent. At long last, Nigeria was acceptant and the invitation, duly accepted. Obi was akin to the old Dad playing try an get the ball in the garden at a family barbecue, with a thousand little legs buzzing about him like bees to the honey. None able to unscrew the lid. This was the Obi many had pined for, withdrawn, deep-lying, the game ahead of him and yet ahead of the game in thought and execution. Pass completion has been higher, but seldom has one seen Obi, green and full of beans in the dying embers. Gentle John enjoyed the freedom of a niche he knows too well and one for which his square slots perfectly into the four-sided aperture.

It has been a long time coming, but alas, when the watching nation needed it so dearly. It came.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: did you compose this yourself?
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

Coach wrote:As one of Obiesta’s biggest critics when green on the greenery, his display yesterday, cautiously colossal, deceptively dominant, exercised excellence in those unspoken arts, was a joy to behold. This wasn't an aged, ring rusty, made in China copycat version of a Lynn Oslo leviathan working wonders in the trequartista, it was a young old man embracing age and all its wisdom and vintage.

Far removed from the Okocha-induced mirage of marauding trickery, this was Obi old and omnipotent. At long last, Nigeria was acceptant and the invitation, duly accepted. Obi was akin to the old Dad playing try an get the ball in the garden at a family barbecue, with a thousand little legs buzzing about him like bees to the honey. None able to unscrew the lid. This was the Obi many had pined for, withdrawn, deep-lying, the game ahead of him and yet ahead of the game in thought and execution. Pass completion has been higher, but seldom has one seen Obi, green and full of beans in the dying embers. Gentle John enjoyed the freedom of a niche he knows too well and one for which his square slots perfectly into the four-sided aperture.

Ogbuefi Coachito :thumbs: :thumbs: :clap: :clap: at his VERY 'BESTEST'. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

lekanlij wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: did you compose this yourself?
Who else?
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

deanotito wrote:Honestly not sure it worked for Moses. Didn’t see much difference in his positioning vs. Croatia match
Deano, wipe your eyes small and take a closer look :taunt:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Happens every day in every team. Its the coach's job to CONVINCE players to change their position and take on extra responsibility.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

lekanlij wrote:

You no know coach. Welcome to CE :mrgreen:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

green4life wrote:Of course there's some persuasion required because that set up was a wining setup notwithstanding that we lost against Croatia. You've been successful for 2 years in competitive games then you suffer a loss and now want to change roles. There will be explaining and likely persuading. It's normal. These are humans and not robots. Anyway I don't see any issue at all.
Doesnt matter if its a winning set up or not. You are going to ask someone who plays a luxury AM position to drop deep to become a DM and tell another person whose job it is to create and score to come back and become a right back. It is your responsibility to sell it to them... Tell them why it is good for the team and why it is good for them. That is the coach's job.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

metalalloy wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
green4life wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
muzines wrote:If you listen to the post game presser, Rohr stated that he had to convince Mikel and Moses to change positions. Mikel - to go back to DM, and Moses to play wing back like he does at Chelsea. According to Rohr, it was very difficult because the new position required more responsibility, but both players eventually agreed.

i think that was the main difference in this game. Moses as an attacker is useless to any team. He could not get into the Chelsea team as a winger, but he is awesome as a wingback. The way he played today, he provided a lot of width to Nigeria, and he defended awesomely. You cannot compare Shehu to Moses. For Mikel, nothing needs to be said. He has won everything as a DM. We have an excess of offensive and dynamic AMs, and moving Mikel back today allowed Nigeria to field 2 attackers.

I am not sure why we are trying to force square pegs into round holes. Moses is a world class wingback, and a crappy winger. Mikel used to be a world class DM/AM, but he is getting old and does not have the speed to match the rest of the team. Rohr should just set up the team in 3-5-2 against Argentina. No need to change formation again. At least this way, we have a chance. 4-4-2, we have no chance.

Forward to 26.05 and 32.00 in the video:

[/video]
muzines,

Rohr confirms several of the things that I believed about his management. It comes out in this conference but also has been speculated in the media for a while. He provides quite a lot of leeway to his veteran players and that can come back top haunt. Right now some of those guys fight for him on the pitch but that is not always the case when you offer such leeway.
Sorry Prof but your concern here is without merit. Fast forward to minute 32 where Rohr explains that its poor man management to change a setup that had been in place for 2 years without explaining to the affected players and getting their buy-in. 2 of our most important players being switched from attacking to defensive roles and you expect that they shouldn't get any explanation? Really?
G4L,

Switching any player requires explanation and thus that is not the issue. The issue is that from his words it appears that it required some persuasion and "it wasn't easy" (his words). For me, those are entirely two different things.

I am hoping it just a "lost in translation" thing. I am a bit torn as i like the fact that he considers his players input, but then again, he is the coach and shouldn't have to have difficulty, "convincing" his players of where he wants them to play. Im glad it worked out today, but that DM position is asking quite a bit of Mikel sha.

Bro, only in Nigeria do people treat footballers like toddlers and force feed them. There are many times i have heard Mourinho state in press conferences about how he seeks a players opinion regarding the player's readiness, position etc etc.. You cant just tell a player "hey You! You are going to be moved from winger to right back!" Think about it! You have an office, and your boss just shows up and says "eh! You! We are moving you to a cubicle." WTHH?? Wouldnt that, at the very least, destroy moral? Or even cause you to say "Uhmm .. sorry, not happening. I am not vacating my office." Its called management. You discuss with the employee and explain why its in the company's interest for him to move to a cubicle.

For instance, early this year, we changed an employee's title. it wasnt a demotion or a reduction in responsibilities, but we wanted to hire someone ahead of that employee and we needed to give the new hire the old employee's title. It took me close to 2 days to come up with a way to have that conversation and I tried to include the old employee as much as possible, so that she feels that she is not being shafted.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

danfo driver wrote:
green4life wrote:Of course there's some persuasion required because that set up was a wining setup notwithstanding that we lost against Croatia. You've been successful for 2 years in competitive games then you suffer a loss and now want to change roles. There will be explaining and likely persuading. It's normal. These are humans and not robots. Anyway I don't see any issue at all.
Doesnt matter if its a winning set up or not. You are going to ask someone who plays a luxury AM position to drop deep to become a DM and tell another person whose job it is to create and score to come back and become a right back. It is your responsibility to sell it to them... Tell them why it is good for the team and why it is good for them. That is the coach's job.
Correct. Anyone who manages or has managed people in any field knows that getting buy in is vital when you want to introduce major changes, or you may just get verbal consent, and then subtle and even unconscious sabotage as things roll out. This is all obvious stuff.

By the way, who noticed the mischievous Russian journo at the press conference who asked Rohr how he felt about being in Volgograd? Serious underground queshon! :lol: The game was played on June 22, anniversary of the WW II German invasion of Russia, formerly the Soviet Union; Volgograd, formerly Stalingrad, scene of Germany's most crushing defeat of the war; the Germans totally destroyed the city, which was rebuilt after the war.

Rohr understood, smiled diplomatically, and said, "I'm German, I know the history very well; I love Volgograd."
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

ohsee wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Correct. Anyone who manages or has managed people in any field knows that getting buy in is vital when you want to introduce major changes, or you may just get verbal consent, and then subtle and even unconscious sabotage as things roll out. This is all obvious stuff.

By the way, who noticed the mischievous Russian journo at the press conference who asked Rohr how he felt about being in Volgograd? Serious underground queshon! :lol: The game was played on June 22, anniversary of the WW II German invasion of Russia, formerly the Soviet Union; Volgograd, formerly Stalingrad, scene of Germany's most crushing defeat of the war; the Germans totally destroyed the city, which was rebuilt after the war.

Rohr understood, smiled diplomatically, and said, "I'm German, I know the history very well; I love Volgograd."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It was news here too, but positive news 'cos Germans own up to the demonic activities of their Parents.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

ohsee wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

I noticed that. WW2 was won by the Russians and lost by Germany at the city banking the Volga River (hence its current name, Volgograd). A massive source of well earned Russian pride. Rohr handled it with class.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Play him in his natural position and he will deliver.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!