Rohr had to convince Mikel and Moses to change positions...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

muzines
Eaglet
Eaglet
Rohr had to convince Mikel and Moses to change positions...

Post by muzines »

If you listen to the post game presser, Rohr stated that he had to convince Mikel and Moses to change positions. Mikel - to go back to DM, and Moses to play wing back like he does at Chelsea. According to Rohr, it was very difficult because the new position required more responsibility, but both players eventually agreed.

i think that was the main difference in this game. Moses as an attacker is useless to any team. He could not get into the Chelsea team as a winger, but he is awesome as a wingback. The way he played today, he provided a lot of width to Nigeria, and he defended awesomely. You cannot compare Shehu to Moses. For Mikel, nothing needs to be said. He has won everything as a DM. We have an excess of offensive and dynamic AMs, and moving Mikel back today allowed Nigeria to field 2 attackers.

I am not sure why we are trying to force square pegs into round holes. Moses is a world class wingback, and a crappy winger. Mikel used to be a world class DM/AM, but he is getting old and does not have the speed to match the rest of the team. Rohr should just set up the team in 3-5-2 against Argentina. No need to change formation again. At least this way, we have a chance. 4-4-2, we have no chance.

Forward to 26.05 and 32.00 in the video:

[/video]
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Conservative: a liberal who has been mugged by reality.
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Rohr had to convince Mikel and Moses to change positions

Post by nanijoe »

Glad I'm not the only one who spotted that...
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

muzines wrote:If you listen to the post game presser, Rohr stated that he had to convince Mikel and Moses to change positions. Mikel - to go back to DM, and Moses to play wing back like he does at Chelsea. According to Rohr, it was very difficult because the new position required more responsibility, but both players eventually agreed.

i think that was the main difference in this game. Moses as an attacker is useless to any team. He could not get into the Chelsea team as a winger, but he is awesome as a wingback. The way he played today, he provided a lot of width to Nigeria, and he defended awesomely. You cannot compare Shehu to Moses. For Mikel, nothing needs to be said. He has won everything as a DM. We have an excess of offensive and dynamic AMs, and moving Mikel back today allowed Nigeria to field 2 attackers.

I am not sure why we are trying to force square pegs into round holes. Moses is a world class wingback, and a crappy winger. Mikel used to be a world class DM/AM, but he is getting old and does not have the speed to match the rest of the team. Rohr should just set up the team in 3-5-2 against Argentina. No need to change formation again. At least this way, we have a chance. 4-4-2, we have no chance.

[/video]

Nigeria qualified for the WC with Moses as an attacker/ winger. Nigeria won nations cup in 2013 with Moses as a winger. All facts
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Rohr also has to convince Moses to PASS THE BALL. The few times he did it we were put in scoring positions.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

muzines wrote:If you listen to the post game presser, Rohr stated that he had to convince Mikel and Moses to change positions. Mikel - to go back to DM, and Moses to play wing back like he does at Chelsea. According to Rohr, it was very difficult because the new position required more responsibility, but both players eventually agreed.

[/video]
muzines,

Rohr confirms several of the things that I believed about his management. It comes out in this conference but also has been speculated in the media for a while. He provides quite a lot of leeway to his veteran players and that can come back top haunt. Right now some of those guys fight for him on the pitch but that is not always the case when you offer such leeway.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Please, enough of the rhetoric. Mikel was everywhere he needed to be today; in defense and offense. He played central midfield :!:

Cheers.
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

What rhetoric are you referring to exactly?
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:Please, enough of the rhetoric. Mikel was everywhere he needed to be today; in defense and offense. He played central midfield :!:

Cheers.
muzines
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by muzines »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:Please, enough of the rhetoric. Mikel was everywhere he needed to be today; in defense and offense. He played central midfield :!:

Cheers.
Exactly the point. As an AM, Mikel is not all over the field. Playing him as a DM gave him more responsibility.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Enugu II wrote:

[/video]
muzines,

Rohr confirms several of the things that I believed about his management. It comes out in this conference but also has been speculated in the media for a while. He provides quite a lot of leeway to his veteran players and that can come back top haunt. Right now some of those guys fight for him on the pitch but that is not always the case when you offer such leeway.
Sorry Prof but your concern here is without merit. Fast forward to minute 32 where Rohr explains that its poor man management to change a setup that had been in place for 2 years without explaining to the affected players and getting their buy-in. 2 of our most important players being switched from attacking to defensive roles and you expect that they shouldn't get any explanation? Really?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

green4life wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

[/video]
muzines,

Sorry Prof but your concern here is without merit. Fast forward to minute 32 where Rohr explains that its poor man management to change a setup that had been in place for 2 years without explaining to the affected players and getting their buy-in. 2 of our most important players being switched from attacking to defensive roles and you expect that they shouldn't get any explanation? Really?
G4L,

Switching any player requires explanation and thus that is not the issue. The issue is that from his words it appears that it required some persuasion and "it wasn't easy" (his words). For me, those are entirely two different things.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Of course there's some persuasion required because that set up was a wining setup notwithstanding that we lost against Croatia. You've been successful for 2 years in competitive games then you suffer a loss and now want to change roles. There will be explaining and likely persuading. It's normal. These are humans and not robots. Anyway I don't see any issue at all.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Enugu II wrote:
green4life wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

[/video]
muzines,

G4L,

Switching any player requires explanation and thus that is not the issue. The issue is that from his words it appears that it required some persuasion and "it wasn't easy" (his words). For me, those are entirely two different things.

I am hoping it just a "lost in translation" thing. I am a bit torn as i like the fact that he considers his players input, but then again, he is the coach and shouldn't have to have difficulty, "convincing" his players of where he wants them to play. Im glad it worked out today, but that DM position is asking quite a bit of Mikel sha.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
mojojojo
Egg
Egg

Post by mojojojo »

The way that I understood it.

He told them to switch positions.

But he also had to convince them that it was the right thing to do, not because he needed to but because he wanted them to believe in the system and in the team.

He could have easily instructed them to, but may not have gotten the same performance,
muzines
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by muzines »

mojojojo wrote:The way that I understood it.

He told them to switch positions.

But he also had to convince them that it was the right thing to do, not because he needed to but because he wanted them to believe in the system and in the team.

He could have easily instructed them to, but may not have gotten the same performance,
That’s exactly what I got from the press conference. He needed their buy in.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

[/video]
Well be careful how you interpret it. One my think they didn't want to and it took some convincing. He was basically saying he had to ask them to play positions they've been playing st their club but not for the SE. Nothing to suggest any of them resisted the idea. I think Rohr's English failed him a little in that interview
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

this thread offers nothing new that has not been discussed. all this thread proliferations just to sound relevant
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

Enugu II wrote:

[/video]
muzines,

It is a 'German' thing..................the coaches don't ever mess with their 'Snr/Veteran/key players', they discuss with them as if they are their .......co-Coaches. :D
Totally normal for a German coach/Snr players...................that's why if things go wrong in a match for Germany(like against Mexico), the 1st people in the firing line are the Snr players/Leaders in the team.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

[/video]
Even Ebuehi was a Marcelo yesterday and excelling at it. :clap: :clap: :clap:
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

9jaMan wrote:

[/video]

Nigeria qualified for the WC with Moses as an attacker/ winger. Nigeria won nations cup in 2013 with Moses as a winger. All facts
Yes but it proves nothing. The competition in the WCQ is inferior to the world cup proper. And 2013 AFCON was either m eight and a half years ago.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

theYemster wrote:
9jaMan wrote:

[/video]

Yes but it proves nothing. The competition in the WCQ is inferior to the world cup proper. And 2013 AFCON was either m eight and a half years ago.
Chief.....e dey like you over celebrated yesterday's win with a lot of cold beer. :thumbs: :mrgreen:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

zee wrote:
theYemster wrote:
9jaMan wrote:

[/video]

Chief.....e dey like you over celebrated yesterday's win with a lot of cold beer. :thumbs: :mrgreen:
Lol. I saw it immediately I posted it.I initially typed 5.5 in figures then decided to change it to words and the eight from 2018 came to mind. :D

So yeah five and a half years ago.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Honestly not sure it worked for Moses. Didn’t see much difference in his positioning vs. Croatia match
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Not really rocket science to play both players how their clubs play them, Moses thrived in the wing back position yesterday, Shehu does not cut it as a good wing back
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko