should Nigeria pack the bus against Arg?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Chimex101
Egg
Egg
should Nigeria pack the bus against Arg?

Post by Chimex101 »

That last game will be blood, sweat,and bones for Argentina...they will unleash all the dirty south American antics left in their reservoirs of football evil(diving, fighting, psychological intimidation from fans etc), even the midget who seems to have a good game against Nigeria will suddenly remember he is Messi after all. We have to be very focused, disciplined, tough(I feel Ogu will suit this type of game, we need someone to bully the Argies)...Musa who always seems to have a good game against Argentina will be the most marked man in that game(I extend my sympathy to him in advance). If we line up the same team that beat them in the last friendly, with Mikel and Ndidi sitting back, Iwobi as our AM and Musa and Nacho up front then we should be good. But should we dig into the good old book of Italian defending 'Catenaccio" and play a very solid defensive game? should we go with the "f**k it, lets do this Argentina" formula and just attack and counter attack? what tactics is best to adopt on Tuesday.
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: should Nigeria pack the bus against Arg?

Post by zee »

We don't park buses and don't know how to do that................our 'defense' has always been our attack.
We let teams know that they will get punished if they throw everything at us.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

zee wrote:We don't park buses and don't know how to do that................our 'defense' has always been our attack.
Seething dumb dumb man :rotf: you want to give Messi space to play his one two and dribble the whole team? You de play ball self? :rotf:

We have to be conservative, and hit them on counters, we can not just open yash like that, they will us with agero and Messi. This zee has real f9 person
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

No. They do not have the defensive resolve to do so.

Arentina has no choice but to rush in heavy-handed, as the old adage goes, to "come in swinging". Sampaoli is a deadman walking, the hourglass is in his hand, his walk of atonement is inevitable, so too the acute left turn and march towards the chopping board, how fast the sand falls however...Napoleon has a few bullets left and precious little gunpowder. It cannot be a back three and thus must be a four. It cannot or rather shouldn't be one up top, it has to be two, it cannot or shouldn't allow Messi to be doubled up, there has to be a decoy.

The key question Sampaoli has to answer is, who? Not where? Who does he entrust with the task of helping Messi arrive where and when needed? Higuain or Dybala? From a Nigerian perspective, one would rather Higuain, a proven forward, but far easier to apprehend than a tricky Dybala interchanging with the Messi. Granted the two have seldom played together, but the mixers in last chance saloon are never of the conventional variety.

It would come as no surprise were Napoleon to switch to a 4-3-1-2, which though inviting of the wingbacks in a 3-5-2, is a perplexing puzzle defensively. It can't be a 4-4-2 surely, though an option, the gaps would be sizeable. 4-2-3-1 doesn't work and the 3-4-3 was tactical suicide. Parking the bus against a team intent on murder-suicide would be a dangerous game.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

No, we don't need to pack any bus. In the first half yesterday, we attempted so many crossfield passes that didn't quite come off. If they do, Argentina will chop cane. Mark my words. If we score first and early, it might end up quite embarrassing for them because they will keep throwing men forward and will be exposed to more and more of those crossfield passes.
Last edited by Shownoja on Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
To stop trying is to start dying
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Coach wrote:No. They do not have the defensive resolve to do so.

Arentina has no choice but to rush in heavy-handed, as the old adage goes, to "come in swinging". Sampaoli is a deadman walking, the hourglass is in his hand, his walk of atonement is inevitable, so too the acute left turn and march towards the chopping board, how fast the sand falls however...Napoleon has a few bullets left and precious little gunpowder. It cannot be a back three and thus must be a four. It cannot or rather shouldn't be one up top, it has to be two, it cannot or shouldn't allow Messi to be doubled up, there has to be a decoy.

The key question Sampaoli has to answer is, who? Not where? Who does he entrust with the task of helping Messi arrive where and when needed? Higuain or Dybala? From a Nigerian perspective, one would rather Higuain, a proven forward, but far easier to apprehend than a tricky Dybala interchanging with the Messi. Granted the two have seldom played together, but the mixers in last chance saloon are never of the conventional variety.

It would come as no surprise were Napoleon to switch to a 4-3-1-2, which though inviting of the wingbacks in a 3-5-2, is a perplexing puzzle defensively. It can't be a 4-4-2 surely, though an option, the gaps would be sizeable. 4-2-3-1 doesn't work and the 3-4-3 was tactical suicide. Parking the bus against a team intent on murder-suicide would be a dangerous game.
Your comments always give me cluster headaches
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

No. Just stop their midfielders getting the ball to Messi anywhere from the halfway line. Etebo and Ndidi will be crucial.
http://www.naijiant.com/
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

osita wrote:
zee wrote:We don't park buses and don't know how to do that................our 'defense' has always been our attack.
Seething dumb dumb man :rotf: you want to give Messi space to play his one two and dribble the whole team? You de play ball self? :rotf:

We have to be conservative, and hit them on counters, we can not just open yash like that, they will us with agero and Messi. This zee has real f9 person
Another daft 'football-know-nothing' strikes again.
Don't you football-dumbos have any shame? :D
You dabble into things over your head and REFUSE to learn and shamelessly flaunt you football idiocy before the whole world.
Clown read slowly...................'YOU ALWAYS PLAY TO YOUR STRENGTH', there's a reason why Messi was anonymous against Croatia.
Croatia :clap: :clap: played to their STRENGTHs as usual.

Damn ..............a lot 'football-airheads' running riot on CE.
Last edited by zee on Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

No bus parking is needed against a disjointed side, Nigeria should pack the midfield and cut off Messi supply lines, it will force him to drop deep to find the ball

Their crazy antics will not work thanks to VAR! That is a blessing in disguise, if they feign injury, VAR will help, if they fall down without been touched, VAR will help, they will have to play a clean game

Nigeria should not let Argentina off the hook, let Musa run at their defence, they are not as compact as the Icelandic defence, in fact they will give Nigeria more opportunities than Iceland did
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Put Etebo on Messi....Control the midfield you stop Argentina. Argentina has no midfield whatsoever.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Dont think Messi needs special attention, Iceland and Croatia simply did not give him any space to thrive
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Depends on what you mean:
If you mean "pack" the bus, as in load the midfield, then maybe.
If you mean "park" the bus, as in camp in our half, I doubt it.

A few certainties:
Nigeria will play on the counter. An ageing Argie side can't live with our pace on the counter. Imagine Mascherano trying to catch Nigeria on a breakaway with Moses, Musa, Iheanacho and Etebo galloping away.

Musa will play, but since he can't play upfront on his own, we'll keep two upfront. Don't be surprised if Ighalo's power is choses over Kelechi's guile.

We might stick with the 3-5-2 despite the fact they'll play three up front more or less. But in reality, it'll be a back 5 with Moses and Ebuehi taking turns to join the attack. I'm struggling to see how else you accommodate Moses engine on the right, Etebo's box to box drive and Musa's pace in the middle (the three critical components of our fast break). But Rohr has surprised us many many times.

So whether it's "pack" the bus (possible) or "park" the bus (unlikely), the simple fact is we'll keep it tight and play on the counter. I don't see us having more than 40% possession, but neither do I see us under siege at for long periods
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

^Depends on how Napoleon sets sail. Di Maria will be back in, the epitome of disappointing, but Sampaoli knows, if he is to die, he must do so with names on the field. The question is, Pavon, Huguain or Dybala? It will be Higuain and that should work to Nigeria's favour, decent pedigree but far from all inclusive and one dimensional, in the sense that he'll be no more than a forward. Dybala would be the worry as he could occupy the space a marked-up Messi can't get into. Hopefully Bonaparte will be too short in stature to do the needy and bench Mascherano who, in truth, is finished at the top level, slows the game down terribly and lacks any pace in recovery. Mash potato starts and should be pressed in possession immediately.
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

The Argentines play dirty they will dive and complain every decision
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Vindave
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vindave »

I think against Argentina, let Super Eagles play their game as deem fit, Rohr will know exactly what to do as both him and the boys knows what is at stake. But truly speaking Argentina attack is very potent, but they have weak denfence and their midfield is not connecting well with their attack.

Their major problem is that all the team formation is built around little Messi, the load is too much on him and that has made him impotent in front of goal, so once you cut off supply to Messi he become a very frustrated man.

Again Argentina team according to the news here is that one or two of the strikers don't want to play alongside Messi, they are not happy playing with him.

We also heard that the coach job is at stake that he lacks idea...

The entire team right now has loss courage to go forward in this torney and that may work in our favour.

Finally, the only way to confuse the Argentina team is to take the game to them in the first half not leaving our back porous and exposing the Goal Keeper (Izoho). Push Musa, Ihenacho, Iwobi and Moses against them, and there will be trouble in their defence.

Bonfere Jo always say that the best way to defend is to attack, so we must attack them, and you know Messi don't defend like Ronaldo or Drogba.

I hear them talking to themselves now, how do we handle this Nigeria Messi (MUSA), that boy is good!.... and if they concentrate on him, Moses, Ihenacho and Iwobi will have a free zone to operate.

ALL THE BEST TO THE SUPER EAGLES ON TUESDAY.
e de sweet me o! ga gaa!
e de paini you o! ga gaa!!
e sweet me o ga gaa, ga gaa!!
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Ndidi needs to throw some more bulala there goal keeper needs to be tested
Oya back to the matter
open and close
guest83
Egg
Egg

Post by guest83 »

Kick Messi's legs so hard he can't walk properly after the game. That's how the other teams in south america deal with Argentina to get results. Simple really :twisted:
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Last night, my younger son shared with me a joke trending amongst his peers....
MESSI-Hello, who is this?
CALLER- Eli
MESSI- Eli who?
CALLER- Eli minate

But seriously, the odds are stacked against us. Argentina is still loaded upfront With Messi, Aguero, Dybala and Higuain. FIFA will profit more from the Argies' second round berth. I hope I'm wrong but I have a feeling that come Tuesday, we'll back here blaming the referee, Rohr and the fact that we lost our opening match.
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Argentina coach should be bold and make a statement, drop Messi and Aguero for the game, they should be on the bench, Messi has clearly lost form in this tournament and that is why they have failed miserably, his team mates cannot perform without him

Marko
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

In your entire life, have you ever seen Nigeria park the bus?
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

deanotito wrote:In your entire life, have you ever seen Nigeria park the bus?
You missed the " Ekene Dili Chukwu " in the Croatia game?
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

No parking the bus please
1. A draw could still see us go out - we need a win
2. Attack for us is a form of defence
3. Argentina are on the ropes, time for the knockout punch

I think we can be cautious but not negative and utilize our counter attack
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

deanotito wrote:In your entire life, have you ever seen Nigeria park the bus?
2002 against Argentina
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16