Are the referee's request for video evidence consistent?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

osita
Egg
Egg
Are the referee's request for video evidence consistent?

Post by osita »

The penalty decision against Troost on
a Croatian was ok however I have seen a lot of holding and at this world cup 2018 done by European teams but most fouls are not called.

There was one done I believe the match between Serbia and Switzerland, two defenders held and fell on a Serbia and the ref with assistant did not even blow against the Switzerland defenders.

Also the match between Germany and Sweden, a German defender tackled a Swedish striker on his way to score nothing was called.

The referee decisions are not consistent and am scared that this tread could be used against African teams or smaller teams.

Against Argentina we need to be careful, any obvious fouls around the A team of Nigeria 99% sure it will be a penalty. We should also ensure that if our own players are fouled in the Argentina A team area we should protest immediately or even stop the match.

What do you guys think about this?
dhoney
Egg
Egg
Re: Are the referee's request for video evidence consistent?

Post by dhoney »

osita wrote:The penalty decision against Troost on
a Croatian was ok however I have seen a lot of holding and at this world cup 2018 done by European teams but most fouls are not called.

There was one done I believe the match between Serbia and Switzerland, two defenders held and fell on a Serbia and the ref with assistant did not even blow against the Switzerland defenders.

Also the match between Germany and Sweden, a German defender tackled a Swedish striker on his way to score nothing was called.

The referee decisions are not consistent and am scared that this tread could be used against African teams or smaller teams.

Against Argentina we need to be careful, any obvious fouls around the A team of Nigeria 99% sure it will be a penalty. We should also ensure that if our own players are fouled in the Argentina A team area we should protest immediately or even stop the match.

I thought I was the only one o. Infact, one obvious wrestling happened btw England Capt and a Tunisian guy and it wasn`t called. I have seen at least 3 of those so far and none was called.
And Jesus said to the only leper that came back to thank Him after He healed ten.... "Chai....na only you waka come?".
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Like they say it depends on the referee hmm
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Osita,

The refereeing has been inconsistent throughout the tournament. Ekong-type foul has occurred in several games and have been ignored by the referees. In the Sweden/German game the VAR officials ignored what was a penalty against Rudiger. At this point, officiating is just absurd as it had been and teams are at the mercy of the officials. That is the bottom line.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

World Cup VAR review: Berg denied a penalty, Neymar dive & all the major incidents at Russia 2018
Germany vs Sweden – Berg denied a penalty
VAR: No

Verdict: Incorrect decision

Sweden's Marcus Berg was seemingly through on goal after a loose ball but was deliberately fouled by Jerome Boateng for Germany. The Swede stumbled in the box after contact was made for what should have been a clear penalty given, and yet the ref made no motion to stop play to consult with the VAR.

Germany headed into the fixture knowing that they if they lost the game, they would be out of the competition. The incident happened early in the first half when the score was 0-0, and a penalty would have buoyed Sweden's hopes – and crushed Germany's.

The situation is similar to when Harry Kane was brought down in the Tunisia box for England twice and should have earned at least one penalty, and yet the referee did not check with the VAR.

Serbia vs Switzerland - Mitrovic denied

Verdict: Incorrect decision

Aleksandar Mitrovic scored Serbia's opening goal against Switzerland, but was denied what appeared to be a clear penalty in the second half.

While jumping for a header, Mitrovic was grabbed by Swiss defenders Stephan Lichtsteiner and Fabian Schar, who dragged the Newcastle United striker to the ground.

Referee Felix Brych inexplicably waved play on, and Serbia went on to lose 2-1, with Granit Xhaka and Xherdan Shaqiri turning the game around.

Nigeria vs Iceland - Sigurdsson blunders late lifeline
VAR: Yes

Verdict: Correct decision

A fantastic double from Ahmed Musa saw Iceland trail Nigeria in their second game of the tournament.

Needing a miracle to keep them in the game, their prayers were seemingly answered by the almighty VAR when it intervened with less than 10 minutes left to award a penalty for Tyronne Ebuehi's foul on Alfred Finnbogason.

Replays showed that the penalty was the right call as the striker, who netted the decisive equaliser against Argentina, had been clipped.

However, Iceland threw the chance away when Gylfi Sigurdsson sent it far off target, allowing Nigeria to move up to second in Group D.

Brazil vs Costa Rica - Neymar dives for a penalty

With time running out in Brazil's clash with Costa Rica, Neymar fell over inside the penalty area and the referee initially pointed straight to the spot.

However, after a VAR review, the referee overturned his decision - much to the Paris Saint-Germain forward's anger.

Brazil ultimately recovered from the decision to score in stoppage time via Philippe Coutinho and Neymar and triumph 2-0.

Iran vs Spain - An offside equaliser

There was bedlam in the Iran camp an hour into their clash with Spain, when Saeid Ezatolahi smashed past David de Gea in an apparent equaliser for the Middle-Eastern nation. The celebrations had already started, but as the scorer was mobbed by the entire Iran squad, VAR had already picked up on a marginal offside in the build-up and the goal was overruled.

Sweden vs South Korea – VAR-assisted penalty decision

Sweden got their World Cup campaign off to a winning start against South Korea thanks to a VAR-assisted penalty and their Asian opponents can have little to complain about as it was the correct call.

When substitute Kim Min-woo appeared to scythe Viktor Claesson in the box shortly after the hour mark referee Joel Aguilar was not interested in Swedish appeals for a penalty, but the VAR cohort were soon in his ear about it. And, after reviewing the incident, he awarded the penalty.

It was the right decision and Sweden capitalised, with Andreas Granqvist converting the spot-kick to ensure three points.

Brazil vs Switzerland - Gabriel Jesus penalty incident

As Brazil chased victory in their opening game against Switzerland they had claims for a penalty denied and referee Cesar Ramos did not feel that there was sufficient doubt to warrant the consultation with VAR.

Gabriel Jesus went down after seeming to be impeded by Manuel Akanji in the box, but Ramos had no interest in the claims and waved play on. However, the decision was not too controversial in the end as, unlike some other incidents, replays appear to back up the official's judgement.

Brazil's football federation (CBF) have taken the issue up with FIFA president Gianni Infantino, though, questioning the conduct of the referee and his video assistants.

Brazil vs Switzerland - Miranda pushed for Swiss equaliser?

Verdict: Opinion split

Tournament favourites Brazil looked set for a familiar opening victory at the World Cup after Philippe Coutinho blasted them into the lead against Switzerland, but they were left reeling when the Swiss equalised in controversial fashion to claim a share of the spoils.

Defender Miranda claimed to have been shoved in the back by Switzerland's goalscorer Steven Zuber in the build-up to the goal and the Brazilians were not shy about making their views known to referee Cesar Ramos, urging him to consult with his colleagues and the technology. However, the Mexican official was not interested in their pleas.

After the game, Brazil coach Tite was clearly irked by the non-decision, saying: "If they push the player, what can I say? There was a foul there.

"I spoke to Miranda and he said, 'When he pushed me I should have fallen' and I said: 'No! Absolutely do not do that, otherwise it's a simulation of the foul. Do not simulate anything.'"

Argentina vs Iceland - Cristian Pavon denied penalty

Verdict: Wrong call

Argentina got their World Cup campaign off to a disappointing start as they were surprisingly held to a 1-1 draw against tournament newcomers Iceland in their opening match and there was a controversial penalty claim waved away without consulting VAR.

The Albiceleste took the lead through Sergio Aguero but were pegged back almost immediately by Alfred Finnbogason. They looked certain to move in front once more when Maxi Meza won a penalty in the second half, but Lionel Messi could not direct his spot-kick past Hannes Halldorsson.

With time running out, substitute Cristian Pavon appeared to be fouled inside the box by Birkir Saevarsson, but a second penalty was not awarded by the unmoved Szymon Marciniak, prompting disbelief among the Argentine players.

The absence of VAR in that particular incident was incorrect according to many commentators, with former England defender Gary Neville suggesting that the officials are not capable of viewing the footage quickly enough to ensure the correct call is made.

"To me, there is a capability issue here over what we're asking the referees in that VAR truck to do," Neville told ITV.

"I don't know what's going on in those trucks, but that's the thing they need to be transparent about and show us.

"I'm not sure they will be able to select the angles quickly enough to get the decision back to the referee before the game has been restarted."
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2 ... d-cup-far/
Last edited by folem on Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

[/video]
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

osita wrote:The penalty decision against Troost on

It is pretty absurd. Back in 2014 Odemwingie was held like that and no penalty.
Now in 2018 Troost Ekong and one other guy have conceeded a penalty for it, but some of the manhandling that has gone uncalled has been ridiculous.

Something is broken.
calico.chuks
Egg
Egg

Post by calico.chuks »

With all you wrote you forgot that Balogun was elbowed in Croatia penalty box without review.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

FIFA needs to get more consistency from the referees otherwise teams will be left at the mercy of officials.
Also there has to be a time frame for VAR to be considered. There's no point allowing play to continue only to stop the game to consult VAR.
I am happy
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Is it the ref that calls for video review or he's prompted on his ear piece to go for a video review?

It seems to me they decide what to review. I know the Ebuehi incident was waved away and the ref seems to want to start the game and suddenly he looked like he received some prompting on his ear piece before indicating VAR.

There was another game where the ref went for a VAR after the players seem to pressure him.

I get the impression when he gets it wrong, he's prompted to go for a review....

So who makes the decision to go for a VAR review, the hidden panel or the ref?
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

pajimoh wrote:Is it the ref that calls for video review or he's prompted on his ear piece to go for a video review?

It seems to me they decide what to review. I know the Ebuehi incident was waved away and the ref seems to want to start the game and suddenly he looked like he received some prompting on his ear piece before indicating VAR.

There was another game where the ref went for a VAR after the players seem to pressure him.

I get the impression when he gets it wrong, he's prompted to go for a review....

As I have mentioned elsewhere, the best way to do with this is to adopt what they do in American gridiron football i.e. have the teams request for a review. The requests will be limited after which only the VAR officials can make the request. This way no team feels discriminated against in terms of what gets looked at and what doesn't. At the moment there are indeed concerns (re: consistency) on what merits a look in and IMHO it has appeared questionable in terms of what gets looked at.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

Enugu II wrote:
pajimoh wrote:Is it the ref that calls for video review or he's prompted on his ear piece to go for a video review?

As I have mentioned elsewhere, the best way to do with this is to adopt what they do in American gridiron football i.e. have the teams request for a review. The requests will be limited after which only the VAR officials can make the request. This way no team feels discriminated against in terms of what gets looked at and what doesn't. At the moment there are indeed concerns (re: consistency) on what merits a look in and IMHO it has appeared questionable in terms of what gets looked at.
Makes sense. This type of review also exists in tennis where players
get three (unsuccessful) challenges to the umpire's call per set.

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

ohenhen1 wrote:Like they say it depends on the referee hmm
... and that was my concern from day one of this VAR campaign and discussions. The VAR will ONLY come into play if the referee asks, or request for it (in most cases), else no deal. Thus, the VAR is a step in the correct direction, but the cheating, especially against small teams will continue - for now.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

calico.chuks wrote:With all you wrote you forgot that Balogun was elbowed in Croatia penalty box without review.
Mmm, hmm, that too!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.