Mikel slams Croatia decision to rest star players

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet
Mikel slams Croatia decision to rest star players

Post by Sir V »

Did we not rest players against Paraguay at the 1998 WC? I think Mikel should keep quite and focus on the Argentina game.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/nigeria-cap ... 21qhb83tq7

The Super Eagles could find themselves relying on the Group D leaders - who plan to leave big names out against Iceland - to reach the knockout stages.

Nigeria captain John Obi Mikel has called on Croatia to be professional and not rest players against Iceland in a match that could yet decide the Super Eagles' World Cup fate.

Two goals from Ahmed Musa ensured Nigeria remain in the hunt for a place in the knockout stages as they saw off Iceland in Volgograd.

Gernot Rohr's side now know that a victory over Argentina in Saint Petersburg will be enough for them to reach the last 16 for the fourth time in their history.

And though a defeat to the Albiceleste would confirm their elimination, a draw would mean they require Croatia to do them a favour against Iceland.

Croatia have already booked their place in the latter stages of the competition, and as such manager Zlatko Dalic has vowed to leave out some of his star players in a bid to conserve their fitness.

Mikel, though, does not understand the reasoning behind Dalic's decision and feels it is unfair on the rest of the teams in the group.

"I don't think it's the best thing to do," he told Goal. "This is a massive tournament - you can't rest people and give others a chance of qualification.

"They should be professional and play their best team. This is such a big stage that you can't rest players just to help other teams to qualify."

Nigeria have faced Argentina four times in their previous five World Cup appearances, losing on all four occasions, but the form of the South American outfit has raised hopes that the Super Eagles can end that run.

Despite counting Lionel Messi among their number, Jorge Sampaoli's side have picked up just one point from their two games thus far, including an embarrassing 3-0 defeat to Croatia on Thursday.

However, Mikel is aware that recording the victory his side require will be no easy task.

"I think they have played well. It's going to be a tough and difficult game for us."

Both Nigeria's clash with Argentina and Iceland's match with Croatia take place simultaneously at 7:00pm BST (2:00pm ET) on Tuesday June 26.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
greg
Egg
Egg
Re: Mikel slams Croatia decision to rest star players

Post by greg »

This even gives us hope that we can top the group & avoid France if Iceland beats them.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

We don't need any other team's help to move to the next stage, instead what we need is to play our game and take care of ourselves. If nothing else; at least to avenge our previous losses (defeats) to Argentina.

Thus, Eagles get ready to go to WAR and don't be Chickens, SHOCK Argentina.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

They can still come in 2nd. Croatia won't risk it too much. The backups will also want to make a statement that they are good enough to start.

A draw or win for Nigeria, will be good enough to go through.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

greg wrote:This even gives us hope that we can top the group & avoid France if Iceland beats them.
... exactly, but in that case, don't we have to beat Argentina by three goals, at least?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Odas wrote:We don't need any other team's help to move to the next stage, instead what we need is to play our game and take care of ourselves. If nothing else; at least to avenge our previous losses (defeats) to Argentina.

You've started running your mouth again, this is how you talked pure rubbish before Croatia..shut it you jinx and bad luck person
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

Odas wrote:
greg wrote:This even gives us hope that we can top the group & avoid France if Iceland beats them.
... exactly, but in that case, don't we have to beat Argentina by three goals, at least?
That is very feasible. If dem no take time, Iceland can even do their part in erasing some of that +5 goal difference. I saw Rohr at the press conference sounding confident about the Argie match. 9 times out 10, the opponent is in for a spanking when he talks like that. Not the Real madrid/Barca/learning experience nonsense from Croatia.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
Odas wrote:We don't need any other team's help to move to the next stage, instead what we need is to play our game and take care of ourselves. If nothing else; at least to avenge our previous losses (defeats) to Argentina.

You've started running your mouth again, this is how you talked pure rubbish before Croatia..shut it you jinx and bad luck person
Which one is running my mouth, that I want Eagles to avenge our previous losses to Argentina?

Hmm, this your MUMUISM has no bound, obviously. If you want me to show you a LITTLE PEPPER in this thread, please say so. I am ready for you - toady and tomorrow - being weekend :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dummy! If you have no shame or national pride, I DO
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Croatia want to play for 1st, needing but a draw. Try to get Denmark rather than France. With a full squad. Already have a +5 goal differential.

It’s reasonable to rest players on cards against the weakest team in the group. I’d be surprised if Iceland can beat what will still be a decent Croatia team.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

I want Iceland win,they cant win more than 2 goals,i expect SE to complete mess Argentina that is the weakness team 3-0 and even top the group.But i want second spot to end France dream.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

1. We have our destiny in our own hands, if we do the business, whatever the outcome in the other game, it becomes irrelevant.

2. Croatia came to Russia with a squad of 23 players, their bench may not have the marquee names but they will be equal to the task.

3. Nigeria did something to the psyche of the Icelanders and they seem to have lost a bit of confidence and self belief. We really knocked the stuffing out of them. The momentum is all with Croatia.
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

Anyone notice that Croatia, so far, is the only country yet to concede a goal?
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Gadfly wrote:Anyone notice that Croatia, so far, is the only country yet to concede a goal?
Uruguay
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Captain Mikel. Please concentrate on the task at hand. Croatia can play their third goalkeeper as a striker if they so wish. Concentrate on Argentina abeg!
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Ekorian wrote:Captain Mikel. Please concentrate on the task at hand. Croatia can play their third goalkeeper as a striker if they so wish. Concentrate on Argentina abeg!
where do they get you dudes from; you really think Mikel sat down with some stupid online blog and made the purported statements
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Well the World Cup is all about assumptions.

So I think we are all being hypocrites here.

For example why do we even say 'France' as 1C? Who is to say that Denmark cannot get a result? All it takes is one good opportunity to Eriksen, and France to be wasteful in front of goal. Not to mention, France may very well be naive and rest players.

So we are all making assumptions. Assumptions about what we think is needed. Even if we say stay objective, well what does objective mean. Go for the win is not really that simple, when you must consider what is at stake. Being realistic is not just about 'saying what feels right'. Obviously go for the win, but that may very well morph into settling for a draw, it happens.

This is football.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

They currently have a 5 goal advantage. It will be hard.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

If they're worried about Iceland pipping us to the post, in case we draw, that is very unlikely to happen. Iceland will need to beat Croatia 3-0 to qualify if we draw with Argentina and it's going to be very hard for them to do that no matter what team Croatia puts out. I know, I know, we should just focus on winning our game and I hope that is what they're doing. But anything can happen in football. In terms of a favourable result, a draw is possible even if we go all out to win the game. Argentina wants to win too and they've got quality players.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Leave Croatia alone and concentrate on your own game.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

They have earned the right to field Davor Suker’s granddad up top and a drunk Bobby Prosinecki playing trequartista. Croatia owes nobody favours, what is likely however, is those new inclusions busting a gut to stay in contention for the next round. For all their exertions, someone bags a hattrick next game and he’s in the manager thoughts for starting the game after.
Ipe Grams
Egg
Egg

Post by Ipe Grams »

They be playing for a draw, don't think they want a loss.
"Are you sure you want to go to red alert? It does mean changing the bulb..."
Kryten to Rimmer, Red Dwarf
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Coach wrote:They have earned the right to field Davor Suker’s granddad up top and a drunk Bobby Prosinecki playing trequartista. Croatia owes nobody favours, what is likely however, is those new inclusions busting a gut to stay in contention for the next round. For all their exertions, someone bags a hattrick next game and he’s in the manager thoughts for starting the game after.
Good point coach. A lot of Croatian players will want to make a name for themselves. This is a deep team.

You never know, but I cannot see Iceland bossing Croatia around. I think Nigeria can reasonably expect Croatia to at least tie Iceland. Should this factor in how Nigeria plays Argentina?

Maybe. I think Nigeria have room with a tie against Argentina. But should be opportunistically looking for a win. I’m not convinced a strong press of Argentina is the best approach.

What do you think coach?
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Ipe Grams wrote:They be playing for a draw, don't think they want a loss.
Not to beat a dead horse, but whatever team is fielded, Croatia will play for a win.

It would take a Brazil for Croatia to play for a draw with an ultra defensive posture.

Just cannot see us turtling against Iceland.