Am I the only one believing we will still top the group?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Am I the only one believing we will still top the group?

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] Maybe I am in a minority of one here but that is me. Everything points to Nigeria being highly favoured to top the group from what I can gather

[2] Argentina have to go for broke, so will pour forward in search of goals, leaving themselves very vulnerable on the counter attack

[3] Argentina's midfield and defence is similar to that of Brazil in 2014, so I see nothing preventing us from putting four or five past them if we want to

[4] Croatia has already said they will rest players against Iceland, so I can see the Vikings winning that match

[5] If Iceland beat Croatia and we beat Argentina, both us and the Croats will end up with six points

[6] Now, we have a goal difference of 0 and Croatia have a goal difference of +5. This means that if we beat Argentina 5-0 and Croatia lose 0-1, we top the group on goals difference

[7] Can someone please tell me why this is not feasible? I see Argentina crumbling after the first goal goes in. They will have to then attack like crazy, leaving themselves open to long balls from Kenenth Omeruo and Mikel Obi

[8] Nobody has also explained how the Argentines will deal with the pace of Ebuehi, Moses, Musa and Iwobi

[9] With their porous midfield, I am also scratching my head trying to figure out how Argentina will cope with the Mikel-Ndidi-Etebo combionation

[10] It looks like an early goal will decide our fate in this group. If we score early, I can see us going four up by half time
Rawlings
Egg
Egg
Re: Am I the only one believing we will still top the group?

Post by Rawlings »

Yes,you are the only one
Naija is at the end of the road.
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Very unlikely, though I agree the key is having a go at them early, and hammering them with goals They will certainly capitulate if we score first. The part of your hypothesis that won't happen is an Iceland victory. A second string Croatia will beat them or at the very least draw.
To stop trying is to start dying
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

It was always my prediction, but e go hard.

We won't beat Argentina 5-0.
For all their problems, they'll play for pride.

And for all our strengths, we can't yet dominate teams.
I do predict a small win for us: 1-0, 2-1 or something like that.

But I also think Croatia will get a point against Iceland.

Alas, our mistakes in the first game have proved costly.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: [6] Now, we have a goal difference of 0 and Croatia have a goal difference of +5. This means that if we beat Argentina 5-0 and Croatia lose 0-1, we top the group on goals difference
You're the master troll of this forum now. :thumb:
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Before the beginning of the tournament, I had no doubt we will BEAT Croatia and top the group, but after we shot ourselves on the foot and lost to Croatia, topping the group has become realistically impossible.

Thus Chief Ago, I think you are on your own in this one because there is no way we will BEAT Argentina by five goals. The ONLY possibility of our topping the group is if Argentina and Croatia, both loses their games by three goals, then we will be on top; however, I don't see how such will happen.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Rawlings wrote:Yes,you are the only one

Eh yaa, DNQ can be really painful. Why did you not apply to the Russian authorities to allow you open a kenkey stall at the World Cup though? You could have wrapped the stall up in Ghana's flag and that way, you could claim you were present at the tournament too.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

What do you mean, Professor Rawings?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Hopeful but very unlikely scenario.

We know we will likely qualify with a draw or narrow win. So once we score, expect our boys to defend, slow the game down and rely on fast counter attacks.

Topping the group carries not that much premium because all surviving teams will be good! Match up is the key.

If we take a lead late into the second half, I expect him to bring Ogu to help secure our victory !

We need to score first!

No yeye setpieces given away or taken.

Cmoke
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

waka-man wrote:It was always my prediction, but e go hard.

We won't beat Argentina 5-0.
For all their problems, they'll play for pride.

And for all our strengths, we can't yet dominate teams.
I do predict a small win for us: 1-0, 2-1 or something like that.

But I also think Croatia will get a point against Iceland.

Alas, our mistakes in the first game have proved costly.
... more than costly. The mistakes by the coaching crew and by the players were monumental
Ipe Grams
Egg
Egg

Post by Ipe Grams »

Cmoke wrote:Hopeful but very unlikely scenario.

We know we will likely qualify with a draw or narrow win. So once we score, expect our boys to defend, slow the game down and rely on fast counter attacks.

Topping the group carries not that much premium because all surviving teams will be good! Match up is the key.

If we take a lead late into the second half, I expect him to bring Ogu to help secure our victory !

We need to score first!

No yeye setpieces given away or taken.

Cmoke
Am more concern with Argentina dirty play and hope none of our boys get red carded and the ref giving free kicks and penalties and frustrating us.
"Are you sure you want to go to red alert? It does mean changing the bulb..."
Kryten to Rimmer, Red Dwarf
seunt
Egg
Egg

Post by seunt »

Yes, you're on your own.
"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." -Michael Jordan
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

We don't need to beat Argentina 5-0.

Topping the Group implies that Croatia will lose. A Croatian loss means their GD will diminish.

They will then not be +5. They will be +4, +3, +2, +1 etc.

A 2-0 loss for Croatia, means a 4-0 win will see us top the group. 3-0 will not be good enough, because we would have the same GD, and because of H2H. I.e. Points between the teams concerned. We woukd also not be ahead on goals scored.

A 3-0 loss for Croatia means a 3-0 win will see us though. This will not go to H2H, due to GD.

Argentina's GK and defense is terrible, it would really not be earth shattering if we put 3 or 4 goals past them.

The clearest path for Nigeria to top the group is to bridge the deficit with -2 goals on one end and +4 on the other, or -3 on one end and +3 on the other. -1 for example means we need to score 5, not 4! (We cannot be tied with Croatia), we have to be ahead of them in something.

Either GD or be tied in GD but ahead in goals scored.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

but Iceland do not have more than 2 goals in them.

Which means Croatia's deficit goes to +3 at best, which means we have to score no fewer than 4 goals. 4-1 would be fine, that ties the GD and means we would have scored more goals than Croatia.

The only realistic scoreline (based on each team's odds) in both matches that sees Nigeria top the group IMO is Iceland to win 2-0 and Nigeria to win 4-1.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Tbite wrote:but Iceland do not have more than 2 goals in them.

Which means Croatia's deficit goes to +3 at best, which means we have to score no fewer than 4 goals. 4-1 would be fine, that ties the GD and means we would have scored more goals than Croatia.

The only realistic scoreline (based on each team's odds) in both matches that sees Nigeria top the group IMO is Iceland to win 2-0 and Nigeria to win 4-1.
You mean 4-0?
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

You mean 4-0?
4-0 and 4-1 are fine. Both bridge the GD, both see us score more than Croatia...so no H2H

Either are +4, +3 respectively. Croatia would be on+3. The first option 4-0 sees us top the group due to sheer GD, the second sees us tie the GD and go ahead due to goals scored.

The tie breaker is

1) Points
2) GD
3) Goals Scored
4) H2H
5) Can't remember off the top of my head, but believe infractions.
Last edited by Tbite on Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

This sounds like a wet dream but anything is possible if we score early
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Topping the group is difficult but not an impossibility. We could finish anywhere from 1st to 4th. My prayer is we qualify from this group
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Tbite wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

You mean 4-0?
4-0 and 4-1 are fine. Both bridge the GD, both see us score more than Croatia...so no H2H

Either are +4, +3 respectively. Croatia would be on+3. The first option 4-0 sees us top the group due to sheer GD, the second sees us tie the GD and go ahead due to goals scored.

The tie breaker is

1) Points
2) GD
3) Goals Scored
4) H2H
5) Can't remember off the top of my head, but believe infractions.
I do not think Iceland can score than two goals in a match. they are not set up to score, so we will have to do most of the bridging ourselves.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Why are you still here?
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:rotf:

YES

5 games sweet o
DNA no good o

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

:rotf:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:[1] Maybe I am in a minority of one here but that is me. Everything points to Nigeria being highly favoured to top the group from what I can gather

[2] Argentina have to go for broke, so will pour forward in search of goals, leaving themselves very vulnerable on the counter attack

[3] Argentina's midfield and defence is similar to that of Brazil in 2014, so I see nothing preventing us from putting four or five past them if we want to

[4] Croatia has already said they will rest players against Iceland, so I can see the Vikings winning that match

[5] If Iceland beat Croatia and we beat Argentina, both us and the Croats will end up with six points

[6] Now, we have a goal difference of 0 and Croatia have a goal difference of +5. This means that if we beat Argentina 5-0 and Croatia lose 0-1, we top the group on goals difference

[7] Can someone please tell me why this is not feasible? I see Argentina crumbling after the first goal goes in. They will have to then attack like crazy, leaving themselves open to long balls from Kenenth Omeruo and Mikel Obi

[8] Nobody has also explained how the Argentines will deal with the pace of Ebuehi, Moses, Musa and Iwobi

[9] With their porous midfield, I am also scratching my head trying to figure out how Argentina will cope with the Mikel-Ndidi-Etebo combionation

[10] It looks like an early goal will decide our fate in this group. If we score early, I can see us going four up by half time
:bump: :bump:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu