ABEG emergency meeting - Crisis Averted

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: ABEG emergency meeting - Crisis Averted

Post by cic old boy »

Enugu II wrote:For those of you in England it is possible you have a fixated view of the team over the years. However, I truly believe this team is different. After watching them completely embarrass Nigeria in that opening half of a friendly I had the sense that this team was better than any English team in recent years. They affirmed that with a great run in the World Cup. With a strong set of youth coming through in a few years one has to anticipate that a great period awaits.
Enugu, maybe it is b/c if you live in England you watch those players more than those of you that don't live here. England teams from at least Capello have tried to pass the ball. But the problem is that they are not very good in terms of technique. This team is not that different.

We have generally been crap in most first halves in recent memory. So England outplaying us doesn't mean much. Once we stepped up in the 2nd half against them, it was a different story.

They got very lucky in this WC. They lost their 2 games against decent teams, needed pens to beat a crap Colombia missing their best player, etc.

The youth will not come through b/c very few EPL teams will trust them to deliver. The clubs will continue to buy foreign b/c there are very few of those youth players that stand out. There is a debate in England right now about why they don't produce creative midfielders like Modric. Some people are saying the only player they have that comes close is Jack Wilshere and he has ended up at West Ham. I'd bet he will spend most of next season on the bench there.
http://www.naijiant.com/
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

marko wrote:
TheHitman47 wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:Marko, England was one creative attacking midfielder away from being in the WC final. Their defense and CM are good enough and so too is Kane upfront. However I promise you that even with maturity and experience this same group of players will fail to make it this far in any upcoming major tournament. England does not have a midfield maestro or #10 to give them the edge against the best teams in the world and are incapable of producing one given how they teach the game.
Nonsense. It may not happen now but I can see England in the future look at some of these and try a different approach. Not everyone in the country is that stubborn and they won't play like minnows. I will say something else as well, despite their lack of creativity, their organization and ability on the ball is much better than it has been in 20 years, and yes that includes their "golden generations". I think if they have a creative player they could go really far in any tournament. If they had a Modric or Eriksen level player in their midfield as a #10 to replace Dele Alli they would be at the same level if not better than a team like Croatia.
Dele Alli is not a creative player and dont know if he was used in this capacity, Yesterday, the difference was Modric, he was everywhere, even on tired legs, England will start delivering these players, i dont think they are as arrogant as the Pundits and the press, they understand their shortcomings now, we all saw this yesterday, Southgate should get more players involved, like i said, i will like to see that Junjo Shevley in the set up, Look at France for example, they have Pogba, Kante, Matuldi in the centre of the park, they have Nzonzi on the bench, England dont have these types of players in their squad but the under 20, there was a man city player that could step up as well
He isnt really. Modric is a wonder. I was hoping that Pochettino could develop Winks into that but I am beginning to see signs that Winks lacks something. They will have to look at the likes of Onomah's generation.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

The YeyeMan wrote: When you have less than one shot on target per game football will not come home. :lol:
:lol: :lol: New and improved England
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@CIC, with Tottenham contributing Rose (when mind right), Alli, Trippier, Kane and Dier to a matchday sixteen, does that argument still hold? Yes the big boys will still look to the continental market, but with said market madder then Van Gogh on MDMA, not only will there be more movement between Premier League clubs, which will inevitably see more British players moving between teams. The likes of Sancho and Sessegnon are many years from mainstays but certainly the message is quite clear, it’s no longer a take of two cities. Nick Pope was in the mix, Harry Maguire is at Leicester, it’s no longer a big boys convention. Tottenham are far from the aristocracy and yet bring in forty percent of the starting 11, any given Sunday.

The starting are almost all dead certs to start at their clubs, their deputies much the same. England’s issue is shape and identity, having got this far, they should keep their shape and work players into it. Ashley Young aside and perhaps Lingard, Henderson too, the team stays much the same. They’re good good for the Euros.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Coach wrote:@CIC, with Tottenham contributing Rose (when mind right), Alli, Trippier, Kane and Dier to a matchday sixteen, does that argument still hold? Yes the big boys will still look to the continental market, but with said market madder then Van Gogh on MDMA, not only will there be more movement between Premier League clubs, which will inevitably see more British players moving between teams. The likes of Sancho and Sessegnon are many years from mainstays but certainly the message is quite clear, it’s no longer a take of two cities. Nick Pope was in the mix, Harry Maguire is at Leicester, it’s no longer a big boys convention. Tottenham are far from the aristocracy and yet bring in forty percent of the starting 11, any given Sunday.

The starting are almost all dead certs to start at their clubs, their deputies much the same. England’s issue is shape and identity, having got this far, they should keep their shape and work players into it. Ashley Young aside and perhaps Lingard, Henderson too, the team stays much the same. They’re good good for the Euros.
cheii! this thing pain you sotey you come dey write like normal person! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Who says a hot slap cannot cure madness, momentarily? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

That's the only cup Gareth Southgate will be lifting
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

danfo driver wrote:
Coach wrote:@CIC, with Tottenham contributing Rose (when mind right), Alli, Trippier, Kane and Dier to a matchday sixteen, does that argument still hold? Yes the big boys will still look to the continental market, but with said market madder then Van Gogh on MDMA, not only will there be more movement between Premier League clubs, which will inevitably see more British players moving between teams. The likes of Sancho and Sessegnon are many years from mainstays but certainly the message is quite clear, it’s no longer a take of two cities. Nick Pope was in the mix, Harry Maguire is at Leicester, it’s no longer a big boys convention. Tottenham are far from the aristocracy and yet bring in forty percent of the starting 11, any given Sunday.

cheii! this thing pain you sotey you come dey write like normal person! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Who says a hot slap cannot cure madness, momentarily? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

[/video]
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

I think England scored 1 goal from open play in their last 5 games of this WC. If you include the 2 extra times and the Panama game, they scored 1 open play goal from 6 games worth of action. Imagine how they will fare once more big boys are in their way in future tournaments. They aren't good enough and should consider themselves fortunate to have made it to the semi. It's too bad Belgium ended up in a tougher bracket because they were good enough to beat Croatia in the semi.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

cic old boy wrote:
Enugu II wrote:For those of you in England it is possible you have a fixated view of the team over the years. However, I truly believe this team is different. After watching them completely embarrass Nigeria in that opening half of a friendly I had the sense that this team was better than any English team in recent years. They affirmed that with a great run in the World Cup. With a strong set of youth coming through in a few years one has to anticipate that a great period awaits.
Enugu, maybe it is b/c if you live in England you watch those players more than those of you that don't live here. England teams from at least Capello have tried to pass the ball. But the problem is that they are not very good in terms of technique. This team is not that different.

We have generally been crap in most first halves in recent memory. So England outplaying us doesn't mean much. Once we stepped up in the 2nd half against them, it was a different story.

They got very lucky in this WC. They lost their 2 games against decent teams, needed pens to beat a crap Colombia missing their best player, etc.

The youth will not come through b/c very few EPL teams will trust them to deliver. The clubs will continue to buy foreign b/c there are very few of those youth players that stand out. There is a debate in England right now about why they don't produce creative midfielders like Modric. Some people are saying the only player they have that comes close is Jack Wilshere and he has ended up at West Ham. I'd bet he will spend most of next season on the bench there.
Cic
I think you guys are very hard on England. They have some very good boys. For all Sterling's failings he is one guy who can take on and defeat many defenses anywhere in the world and it just his final play that isn't well developed. I was surprised by Trippier and Stones as well as MacGuire. They were better than expected. I think also that Lingard is greatly underrated. To me this team is not as bad as you guys mayy think as far as comparing them with the rest of the world.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Enugu II wrote:
cic old boy wrote:

Cic
I think you guys are very hard on England. They have some very good boys. For all Sterling's failings he is one guy who can take on and defeat many defenses anywhere in the world and it just his final play that isn't well developed. I was surprised by Trippier and Stones as well as MacGuire. They were better than expected. I think also that Lingard is greatly underrated. To me this team is not as bad as you guys mayy think as far as comparing them with the rest of the world.
Sterling has 1 goal in his last 40 or so caps for England. He's never had a assist in the three competitions he's played for England either.

Maguire and Stones looked strong because they didn't come up against any world class strikers - except Lukaku who should have scored two goals today if he was really world class. Tripper played well though.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

The English won't like this. This is where they would have celebrated if England won.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Heliopolis wrote:I think England scored 1 goal from open play in their last 5 games of this WC. If you include the 2 extra times and the Panama game, they scored 1 open play goal from 6 games worth of action. Imagine how they will fare once more big boys are in their way in future tournaments. They aren't good enough and should consider themselves fortunate to have made it to the semi. It's too bad Belgium ended up in a tougher bracket because they were good enough to beat Croatia in the semi.

shhh don't tell the brainwashed queens subjects this. :lol:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Today England will wake up feeling they have improved in football and yes they have in comparison to the last 20 years, still a lot of work to be done, they have the resources, all they need to do is give promising players a chance, next stop is the european championship in 2 years, the plannig. Starts now
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko