ABEG emergency meeting - Crisis Averted

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Heliopolis
Egg
Egg
Re: ABEG emergency meeting - Crisis Averted

Post by Heliopolis »

You England boosters can talk about future potential all you want but the fact is England was poor in 3 of their last 4 games of this tourny due to lack of talent and resorting to kick and rush and the defensive tactics that have led to poor results for them over the decades. I fail to see how a country that has repeated its mistakes over the last 52 years will suddenly change course in the years to come. If anything they will double down on their efforts after a WC semi appearance.

BTW, the competition is only going to get stiffer. I won't criticize England for their light competition this WC since its out of their control but future Euros and WCs will surely feature stiffer paths than what England experienced over the past month.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Well after this latest episode, i hope Southgate is brave enough to start fielding players like Junjo shevley who reminds me of Gascoigne, when you get to the latter stages of the world cup, in tight games, you need players like Modric who take the ball and make things happen, if they need any reminder, then Saturday game with Belgium will see the skill of Hazard, Dubryne

I hope the British pundits in their loud voices can start lobbying the FA to start looking for talented players
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Heliopolis wrote:You England boosters can talk about future potential all you want but the fact is England was poor in 3 of their last 4 games of this tourny due to lack of talent and resorting to kick and rush and the defensive tactics that have led to poor results for them over the decades. I fail to see how a country that has repeated its mistakes over the last 52 years will suddenly change course in the years to come. If anything they will double down on their efforts after a WC semi appearance.

BTW, the competition is only going to get stiffer. I won't criticize England for their light competition this WC since its out of their control but future Euros and WCs will surely feature stiffer paths than what England experienced over the past month.

Well said mate. They keep saying England will do better next time as if the other teams are just going to be standing by doing nothing allowing england to catch up. In fact next england will revert to their normal second round exit because the other teams like Brazil, Spain, Argentina, Germany, Italy and Holland are sire to be back better prepared than this time. And england won't be as lucky with a draw as this time

This was a once in a lifetime chance and they got found out :rotf:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

marko wrote:Well after this latest episode, i hope Southgate is brave enough to start fielding players like Junjo shevley who reminds me of Gascoigne, when you get to the latter stages of the world cup, in tight games, you need players like Modric who take the ball and make things happen, if they need any reminder, then Saturday game with Belgium will see the skill of Hazard, Dubryne

I hope the British pundits in their loud voices can start lobbying the FA to start looking for talented players
Jonjo ke? :scared: , there is a reason why a player who started at Liverpool ended up at Newcastle. If you think Jonjo is what they need,then you don't know the problem England has....Jonjo lo,Yoyo ni. Abeg commot dia Marko.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Samora Machel wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:You England boosters can talk about future potential all you want but the fact is England was poor in 3 of their last 4 games of this tourny due to lack of talent and resorting to kick and rush and the defensive tactics that have led to poor results for them over the decades. I fail to see how a country that has repeated its mistakes over the last 52 years will suddenly change course in the years to come. If anything they will double down on their efforts after a WC semi appearance.

Well said mate. They keep saying England will do better next time as if the other teams are just going to be standing by doing nothing allowing england to catch up. In fact next england will revert to their normal second round exit because the other teams like Brazil, Spain, Argentina, Germany, Italy and Holland are sire to be back better prepared than this time. And england won't be as lucky with a draw as this time

This was a once in a lifetime chance and they got found out :rotf:
Well it remains a valid statement that they can do better next time. You think they do not know this is a lifetime opportunity,they know that for sure and they are going to continue to work hard towards ensuring that if it presents itself again they would make better use of it. Life is about being ready to grab the opportunity that comes your way. Truth is even though it can be argued that they were fortunate with fixtures, the team has done what they needed to do to take the chances. There was an England who got beaten by Iceland just a couple of years ago.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

Yes they can do better next time but it's also a valid statement to say they've underperformed relative to their wealth and football infrastructure. Why? This is more subjective but I, and others submit that its due to how they teach the game. They focus on developing the same qualities focused on in American sports such as speed, power, and endurance which are important, but are weak at developing technical skills. For this reason I am unconvinced they will improve.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Heliopolis wrote:Yes they can do better next time but it's also a valid statement to say they've underperformed relative to their wealth and football infrastructure. Why? This is more subjective but I, and others submit that its due to how they teach the game. They focus on developing the same qualities focused on in American sports such as speed, power, and endurance which are important, but are weak at developing technical skills. For this reason I am unconvinced they will improve.
If Denmark can win the European cup then England can win a major trophy too, post '66. England is not as weak as they appear to be. In 1986 Maradona needed his hand of God goal to knock them out and he later admitted that was their toughest game of the competition. In 1990 they were one penalty kick away from reaching the World Cup final (which they could have won against a weak and depleted Argentinian side). They've been knocked out on penalties 3 times at the World Cup, meaning teams have a hard time breaking them down even with extra time. Let's not forget Sweden was looking really good before they met England this year. Sweden knocked out Italy during the qualifiers, almost beat Germany, thrashed Mexico, and had an easy win against Switzerland. The problem with England is they have problem closing games against the big teams hence all the penalty shootouts.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Orion wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:Yes they can do better next time but it's also a valid statement to say they've underperformed relative to their wealth and football infrastructure. Why? This is more subjective but I, and others submit that its due to how they teach the game. They focus on developing the same qualities focused on in American sports such as speed, power, and endurance which are important, but are weak at developing technical skills. For this reason I am unconvinced they will improve.
If Denmark can win the European cup then England can win a major trophy too, post '66. England is not as weak as they appear to be. In 1986 Maradona needed his hand of God goal to knock them out and he later admitted that was their toughest game of the competition. In 1990 they were one penalty kick away from reaching the World Cup final (which they could have won against a weak and depleted Argentinian side). They've been knocked out on penalties 3 times at the World Cup, meaning teams have a hard time breaking them down even with extra time. Let's not forget Sweden was looking really good before they met England this year. Sweden knocked out Italy during the qualifiers, almost beat Germany, thrashed Mexico, and had an easy win against Switzerland. The problem with England is they have problem closing games against the big teams hence all the penalty shootouts.

Denmark and Greece are outliers. Especially Greece. Denmark at least produces decent players often enough and tough teams.

I think most comments here are spot on wrt England: not developing technique, creativity, and guile in abundance, as a matter of football culture.

I say again, England have not produced a true world class midfield general in decades. Off the top of my head, Glenn Hoddle alone stands out. And he wasn't loved during his time, often criticized for not being a fighter.

Lampard, Gerrard, and Beckham were decent International class players. But not even close to much more gifted midfielders that win WCs. England needs a fundamental change in football culture. Otherwise, everything is in place, interestingly enough.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Orion wrote: If Denmark can win the European cup then England can win a major trophy too, post '66. England is not as weak as they appear to be. In 1986 Maradona needed his hand of God goal to knock them out and he later admitted that was their toughest game of the competition. In 1990 they were one penalty kick away from reaching the World Cup final (which they could have won against a weak and depleted Argentinian side). They've been knocked out on penalties 3 times at the World Cup, meaning teams have a hard time breaking them down even with extra time. Let's not forget Sweden was looking really good before they met England this year. Sweden knocked out Italy during the qualifiers, almost beat Germany, thrashed Mexico, and had an easy win against Switzerland. The problem with England is they have problem closing games against the big teams hence all the penalty shootouts.
Your points are full of holes.
1. That Denmark 92 team had some genuine greats better than anything England has produced - Schmeichel and Brian Laudrup.
2. You remember the Hand of God goal and don't mention the 2nd goal. Nobody said England are ever weak opponents. But being difficult to beat is different from having the inspiration to win tournaments.
3. Argentina in 1990 were not that "weak". Germany needed a dubious pen to beat them in the final. They were arguably better than in 1986. Maradona was more mature at 29 and had a better striker alongside in Caniggia.
4. Sweden were not looking good. They were solid and played on the counter. But were a very average team with their main striker playing in the UAE.
5. England has always been difficult to beat. It is the bulldog spirit and they are always well organised and good at set-pieces. But you need more to win tournaments.
http://www.naijiant.com/
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Kneedeep
Egg
Egg

Post by Kneedeep »

Doesn't England have a match left to play?
One loss and the Nigerian "fans" vanish along with their epistles about English "Billy's Boots" technology and Southgate tactics :lol: :lol: :lol:
Advocating rational thought since 1987
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Kneedeep wrote:Doesn't England have a match left to play?
One loss and the Nigerian "fans" vanish along with their epistles about English "Billy's Boots" technology and Southgate tactics :lol: :lol: :lol:
Has anyone heard from Damunk? Poor guy. :D
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

In many sections of the British media they are trying to peddle the fantasy that this England team has "united" the country and "reconnected" with the fans. So I posted this piece on the comments section of a couple of such articles in the Guardian, and it was taken down by moderators.
https://www.naijiant.com/sports/russia- ... d-to-lose/
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Kneedeep wrote:Doesn't England have a match left to play?
The word fickle find its true meaning on CE with the way the fans of the beautiful game oscillate from one degree of lunacy to another.

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

cic old boy wrote:In many sections of the British media they are trying to peddle the fantasy that this England team has "united" the country and "reconnected" with the fans. So I posted this piece on the comments section of a couple of such articles in the Guardian, and it was taken down by moderators.
https://www.naijiant.com/sports/russia- ... d-to-lose/
Nna, that's a very long comment. They were right to remove it even though it's correct. :D
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

1. That Denmark 92 team had some genuine greats better than anything England has produced - Schmeichel and Brian Laudrup.
Subjective. I could list players like Banks, Shilton, Gazza (at his peak), Beckham, Keegan, Rio, Sol Campbell etc. as better than what Denmark has produced. But it's all subjective.

2. You remember the Hand of God goal and don't mention the 2nd goal. Nobody said England are ever weak opponents. But being difficult to beat is different from having the inspiration to win tournaments.
The goal of the century would have only made the game 1-1. Argentina won by a goal that was a clear handball and would have been disallowed with VAR today. In that game, we saw both sides of the true Maradonna. The genius on one hand and flawed cheat on another.

3. Argentina in 1990 were not that "weak". Germany needed a dubious pen to beat them in the final. They were arguably better than in 1986. Maradona was more mature at 29 and had a better striker alongside in Caniggia.
Germany could not beat England in 120 minutes. They beat Argentina clean in 90 minutes, penalty or not. All 3 teams were equally matched with small decisions making the difference. So England could've potentially won in the final if they had gotten there.

4. Sweden were not looking good. They were solid and played on the counter. But were a very average team with their main striker playing in the UAE.
A solid side that took out Italy, Mexico, and a decent Swizz side. Yet they looked like schoolboys against England.

5. England has always been difficult to beat. It is the bulldog spirit and they are always well organised and good at set-pieces. But you need more to win tournaments.
IMO, they've produced a good number of world class players since '66 (they won big things at club level in Europe) and with a bit of penalty shootout luck here and there, history could've been different.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Orion wrote: IMO, they've produced a good number of world class players since '66 (they won big things at club level in Europe) and with a bit of penalty shootout luck here and there, history could've been different.
:lol: :lol: "World class" is a very subjective term. The English players that won in Europe with their clubs were playing with more technically-gifted players from abroad. I mean, Djimi Traore won the CL with Liverpool. You can play the hard luck card for one tournament or two, but not for over 50 years. Even Spain had rotten luck with pens until they produced a team packed with real world class talent. And losing on pens means you were not good enough to win over 120 mins.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

The YeyeMan wrote: Nna, that's a very long comment. They were right to remove it even though it's correct. :D
:lol: Should have said "I posted the link".
Kneedeep
Egg
Egg

Post by Kneedeep »

Orion wrote:
The goal of the century would have only made the game 1-1. Argentina won by a goal that was a clear handball and would have been disallowed with VAR today. In that game, we saw both sides of the true Maradonna. The genius on one hand and flawed cheat on another.
Ahem.. England won the WC in 66 with an imaginary goal, no "honest" English player stepped up to say the ball didn't cross the line. It all evens out.

At least you haven't vanished like your fellow "fans". :thumb:
Advocating rational thought since 1987
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Again, a semi-final is sound return for that team and squad and represents a sizeable overachievement. Smh-finals of the Euros would be consider a positive, progressive step for England, to have eclipsed the likes of Brazil, Germany, Spain, Uruguay, Nigeria, was unthinkable at the start of the summer. A wonderful achievement by a group of bread and butter, good men. Good stock. Most importantly, whilst many ponder their path, stand before the changing room mirror trying on outfit after outfit, identity after identity, Southgate has seemingly found theirs. For what they are and what they have, the identity is a perfect fit. Since Ashley Cole, England haven't have a top quality left-back, but have produced a plethora of all or nothing, huge last ditch challenging, on me' 'ed son, centrehalves, some supposedly ball playing, others man and ball playing. The switch to the back 3/5 was essential and arrived without the circus and fanfare that greeted previous attempts .

Identity carved. Next stop, get Jonjo Scholesy in the thick of it. All stations to Ryan Sessegnon, calling at Jadon Sancho, Phil Foden and that farmhouse loaf, beans and bacon centre-mid formerly of Norwich. Graft. Did someone say fried eggs? Too bloody right, three, five seconds in the pan apiece, dip em or drink em. Options. Geneva no longer telling Betty when she can pull on the tap. Carling, draught from 1030 GMT none of that CET nonsense.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

When you have less than one shot on target per game football will not come home. :lol:
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

For those of you in England it is possible you have a fixated view of the team over the years. However, I truly believe this team is different. After watching them completely embarrass Nigeria in that opening half of a friendly I had the sense that this team was better than any English team in recent years. They affirmed that with a great run in the World Cup. With a strong set of youth coming through in a few years one has to anticipate that a great period awaits.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Enugu II wrote:For those of you in England it is possible you have a fixated view of the team over the years. However, I truly believe this team is different. After watching them completely embarrass Nigeria in that opening half of a friendly I had the sense that this team was better than any English team in recent years. They affirmed that with a great run in the World Cup. With a strong set of youth coming through in a few years one has to anticipate that a great period awaits.
KPOM!! Give England their due respect. They lacked experience and genuine quality in CM and CB but they gave it a very good run. They have nothing to be ashamed of!! NOTHING!! I knew they would come short against a team with a strong midfield but 3/4 place no be beans. It is their best outing in how many years!!
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8