Argentina FA Shoots Down Jorge Sampaoli Rift Rumours

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bobo Dan
Egg
Egg
Argentina FA Shoots Down Jorge Sampaoli Rift Rumours

Post by Bobo Dan »

https://sports.ndtv.com/2018-fifa-world ... rs-1872430

Veteran Argentina midfielder Javier Mascherano insists relations between the players and coach Jorge Sampaoli are not strained after reports of unrest within the team camp. Sampaoli was roundly criticised for his game plan following a 3-0 loss to Croatia in Argentina's second group game at the World Cup, sparking rumours the 58-year-old would be sacked during the tournament. "The relationship with the coach is completely normal," Mascherano said ahead of the must-win match against Nigeria in Saint Petersburg on Tuesday.

"Obviously, when we feel uncomfortable about something we speak with him because if we didn't we would be hypocrites."

Argentina were on the brink of elimination after the Croatia mauling but victory against Nigeria would send them through as runners-up in Group D if leaders Croatia avoid defeat against Iceland.

"We know the situation is tricky," Mascherano said. "We have to be united, to express our opinions, and do everything possible so the team goes into the game in the best position."

Argentine Football Association (AFA) president Claudio Tapia has given his backing to Sampaoli after holding a meeting with the embattled coach on Friday, a team source revealed.

Franco Armani is tipped to replace Willy Caballero for the Nigeria clash after the Chelsea goalkeeper's blunder against Croatia, with Sampaoli, also expected to ditch his three-match defence and return to a traditional back four.

The relationship with the coach is completely normal, Mascherano said
Mascherano insists relations between players and coach are not strained
Argentina face Nigeria in a must-win FIFA World Cup match On June 26
If I can't express my opinion, I have no reason to be part of this union."
Co Adriaanse - AZ Coach

We’re not rated on the Continent,” said Toshack. “British managers are not, coaches are not, players are not. It’s all 4-4-2, hit the front man, get on the second ball. It hasn’t changed. It frustrates me at times, it really does.”
- John Toshack (British Wales Coach viewtopic.php?t=111511 ).

Bobo Dan
Egg
Egg
Re: Argentina FA Shoots Down Jorge Sampaoli Rift Rumours

Post by Bobo Dan »

Lionel Messi reveals he's obsessed with lifting the trophy as Argentina prepare to face Nigeria

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... geria.html

Lionel Messi has opened up on his obsession of winning the World Cup, claiming he doesn't want to retire until he's won the biggest trophy in football.

The Argentinian celebrated his 31st birthday on Sunday but insists he will not give up on his dream of bringing the World Cup back to Argentina.

It was back to the drawing board for Jorge Sampaoli, who took a moment to wish Messi happy birthday at the start of the session, but the pair did not speak further.

Lionel Messi has revealed he is obsessed with winning the World Cup ahead of Nigeria clash

The Argentina squad trained with renewed hope after being given a lifeline to progress

Messi (R) was in good spirits as he celebrated his 31st birthday by preparing for Nigeria game

Sampaoli's side have been handed a lifeline since they stumbled to a 3-0 defeat against Croatia, which had left them in serious danger of being knocked out.

Nigeria's win over Iceland threw the group wide open once again and Argentina must now beat the African side in their final group game to have any chance of progressing.

Messi was reported in the Mirror as saying: 'It means so much because for Argentina the World Cup is special - and for me too.

'I've always had the dream of watching me raise the World Cup. And then seeing the emotion that goes with it.

'My hair stands on end just thinking about that moment. It would make millions of Argentine's in the world happy.

'So we cannot give up on that dream.

Messi (C) chats with former Barcelona team-mate Javier Mascherano during training session

Argentina line up in front of coach Jorge Sampaoli who has come in for criticism after results

Sampaoli led the training session despite reports he will listen to players about team selection

'I have won all the most important tournaments but I am ambitious to the end. I would not like to retire from active football without being a world champion with my country.'

Despite some apparent animosity between Sampaoli and Messi on his birthday and calls for the coach's immediate resignation, the Argentinian football association have backed Sampaoli for the time being - whose contract runs through to 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

President Claudio Tapia hit back at reports the coach could be sacked, saying: 'You have seen the coach and the team training. It's clear that what you are saying is a lie.'

Tapia refused to answer any further questions.

Argentina players were in good spirits after Nigeria's win saved them from elimination

Messi (L) has admitted that he 'has not given up on the dream' of winning the World Cup

Gonzalo Higuain (L) laughs with Cristian Pavon (R) as Argentina train on Sunday morning

Argentina now face the task of beating Nigeria on Tuesday and hoping they are able to better Iceland's result against Croatia, who have admitted they may leave out players on bookings.

Argentina looked in good spirits as they trained on Sunday with a renewed hope among the squad.

Despite a chaotic start to the tournament, the South Americans can still reach the knockout round, where they would play the winner of Group C, currently led by France.

If Argentina fail to win the World Cup this year, Messi will have to wait until 2022 to have another crack - where he will be 35.

Messi (R) laughs at compatrior Lucas Biglia (L) after he falls on the floor during sunny session

It could be Messi's last chance to win the World Cup, at the next tournament he will be 35
If I can't express my opinion, I have no reason to be part of this union."
Co Adriaanse - AZ Coach

We’re not rated on the Continent,” said Toshack. “British managers are not, coaches are not, players are not. It’s all 4-4-2, hit the front man, get on the second ball. It hasn’t changed. It frustrates me at times, it really does.”
- John Toshack (British Wales Coach viewtopic.php?t=111511 ).

Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Chai, now Messi looks calm. That is not a good sign.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

They have to appear united in the lead up to the Nigerian game, its obvious there are serious rifts, we all saw Aguero reaction on live TV, that is a disciplinary offence

Well argentina will be up for it anyway, question is will their frailties be fixed As well, as it stands now, they are the worst team in group D but they still are world beaters on their day
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko