Is Etebo selfish, or a poor decision maker?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

K
Egg
Egg
Is Etebo selfish, or a poor decision maker?

Post by K »

On at least two possessions in the 2nd half against Iceland, Etebo went for a shot when better-placed players could have received a pass. We can ill afford such waste from an offensive midfielder against the likes of Argentina or France
Last edited by K on Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg
Re: Is Etebo Selfish, or a poor decision maker?

Post by Rawlings »

That's why he will be playing in division 2
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Abeg, free the guy because he is our most complete midfielder. He can defend, attack, dribble, shoot etc reminds me of a young ESSIEN
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

It is very infuriating, but it's not only ETEBO. Moses does it all the time as well.

Just boneheaded African play. Yes I said it. We could have won that game 4-0.
K
Egg
Egg

Post by K »

john12 wrote:Abeg, free the guy because he is our most complete midfielder. He can defend, attack, dribble, shoot etc reminds me of a young ESSIEN
I agree he is all that plus a bag of chips, but what shall it profit a team if a man does all that you described and makes a bone-headed decision at the end? Imagine how much sharper we will be if Etebo, Moses, and even Musa are as situationally aware as a Mikel or Iwobi?
Last edited by K on Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

The coach should have a word with him. He has done it in two games now - keeps trying stuff he can't pull off when a simple pass was the better option.
http://www.naijiant.com/
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

We were 2-0 up and he made all those runs with the ball nothing wrong aiming to score of those runs
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

john12 wrote:We were 2-0 up and he made all those runs with the ball nothing wrong aiming to score of those runs
'Football-know-nothing' in full display. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
K
Egg
Egg

Post by K »

john12 wrote:We were 2-0 up and he made all those runs with the ball nothing wrong aiming to score of those runs
Nope - he did one right after the start of the half, before we scored a goal. Moses had acres on the right, but Etebo shot into a sea of legs instead
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Is Etebo selfish, or a poor decision maker?

Post by green4life »

His decision making in the last third needs improving. Also, Moses was just as poor if not worse than Etebo in that aspect. I rewatched the match on dvr last night. There are other areas for improvement notwithstanding we comfortably won two nil.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Etebo doesn't have the eye for the killer pass ala Mikel and Iwobi. I think that he can get better at "seeing the pass" but it doesn't help that he's played all over the place as it hasn't allowed him to hone in this particular aspect of his game.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Mikel doesn't have the eye for the killer pass also.

Maybe Nwakili will bring that to the team. He has to be in the squad that will play the Seychelles after the World cup.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

Am not sure we where two goals up
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

K wrote:On at least two possessions in the 2nd half against Iceland, Etebo went for a shot when better-placed players could have received a pass. We can ill afford such waste from an offensive midfielder against the likes of Argentina or France
But he had an open look on both occasions, so he made the right choice on both occasions. The only issue was that he could not hit the ball properly like he wanted to.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

K wrote:On at least two possessions in the 2nd half against Iceland, Etebo went for a shot when better-placed players could have received a pass. We can ill afford such waste from an offensive midfielder against the likes of Argentina or France
I have no problem with them taking shots in such situations as long as they're on target with some power behind it. Force the goalie to make a save. Who knows it could ricochet off a leg, back or body into the net. Or the goalie could punch it out to an attacker. We tend to pass too much.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

cic old boy wrote:The coach should have a word with him. He has done it in two games now - keeps trying stuff he can't pull off when a simple pass was the better option.
Great observation.

Couple of times the final pass would have put his teammate through to goal.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

K wrote:
john12 wrote:Abeg, free the guy because he is our most complete midfielder. He can defend, attack, dribble, shoot etc reminds me of a young ESSIEN
I agree he is all that plus a bag of chips, but what shall it profit a team if a man does all that you described and makes a bone-headed decision at the end? Imagine how much sharper we will be if Etebo, Moses, and even Musa are as situationally aware as a Mikel or Iwobi?
:agree:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Etebo is good player though he hasn't discovered his best position yet. In addition to his wayward shooting, he also has a habit of slowing down the game. But I must admit, he is an improvement on the 2018 Onazi and better than Ogu.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

The guy who said Senegal play for each other unlike the "typical African team" may be talking about Nigeria. :)

For whatever reasons, even in a must-win game, they all seem to be seeking individual glory instead of clinical teamwork like the Germans, for example.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

We’ve seen the whole package from Etebo in the past so we know nothing that the OP posted is correct. I expect him to get better in subsequent matches
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Oscar52 alert :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Cellular wrote:
K wrote:
:agree:

Please let's put Iwobi on ice for now. Dude is all potential at this stage. I don't know what is holding him back...maybe Arsenal setup?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

I am speculating that the coach gave him that liberty to shoot at sight. Just needs to improve his decision making.
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Hawking, 1942