Gerrard and Rangers interested in Sadiq Umar

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Cally
Egg
Egg
Gerrard and Rangers interested in Sadiq Umar

Post by Cally »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -loan.html

He does tons of running': Steven Gerrard insists Roma striker Umar Sadiq would provide Rangers with major boost if he joins on loan
Rangers are edging closer to signing Umar Sadiq on season-long loan
Steven Gerrard praised the power and energy of the Rangers striker
Sadiq scored five goals in 13 appearances on loan to Dutch side NAC Breda
By MARK WILSON FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 18:34 EDT, 24 June 2018 | UPDATED: 18:34 EDT, 24 June 2018

shares

View comments
Steven Gerrard insists Umar Sadiq would add power and energy to Rangers' strikeforce as he confirmed an interest in landing the 21-year-old.

The Ibrox club are edging closer to an agreement to take the 6ft 3in Nigerian on a season-long loan from Roma.

He scored five goals in 13 appearances when farmed out to Dutch side NAC Breda last term.

Rangers are interested in securing a loan deal for Roma attacker Umar Sadiq (right) +3
Rangers are interested in securing a loan deal for Roma attacker Umar Sadiq (right)

RELATED ARTICLES
Previous
Next

Steven Gerrard urges new Rangers signing Jon Flanagan to...

James Tavernier insists second best is no longer acceptable...

Steven Gerrard puts his Rangers side through their paces...

Rangers aiming for a season-long loan deal for Roma striker...
SHARE THIS ARTICLE
63 shares

ADVERTISING

Gerrard has already made seven summer signings, but feels Sadiq could fill an important gap in the squad if the deal gets over the line.

'We're a fan of Umar Sadiq,' said the Rangers boss as his side continue their pre-season training camp in Spain.

'There is nothing to report on that yet in terms of progress, but we do like the player.

'We'll have to see how that one materialises. He would bring us a forward option with his height, power and presence. He's a player who actually works too hard, believe it or not.

'He does tons of running and he's very enthusiastic. He's the type of player who offers just as much out of possession as he does in possession, which is important.

Rangers boss Steven Gerrard insists that Sadiq would add pace and power to his team's attack +3
Rangers boss Steven Gerrard insists that Sadiq would add pace and power to his team's attack

'We have an interest but, at the moment, he's still a Roma player. It's ongoing. We have to be respectful and see how it goes, but he's someone we like.' In addition to Sadiq, Gerrard is also thought to be considering a loan move for Manchester City winger Brandon Barker, who spent last season with Hibs.

Liverpool attackers Dominic Solanke and Ben Woodburn could be further loan targets later in the window, but Gerrard is adamant the net is being cast wide to find the right additions.

'Brandon Barker is speculation,' added Gerrard. 'There's not enough room for all the wingers we've been linked with. (Ryan) Kent, (Harry) Wilson, Barker, (Jordan) Jones - I don't know how I'd fit them all in.

Gerrard has been heavily active in the transfer market since he was appointed as manager +3
Gerrard has been heavily active in the transfer market since he was appointed as manager

'I'm a fan of all the names and speculation, but that's all it is just now. Dominic Solanke? Speculation. All I will say is that we need more options in the forward areas.

'The priority initially was in the defensive areas. We needed bodies in the centre of defence and needed to give support in the full-back areas 'We are close to being there defensively. When I took over, we were heavy in the midfield areas, so, unless we can get someone in who will be better than what's here, then we're not in a mad rush to add, certainly in the central area.

UMAR SADIQ'S SENIOR CAREER
2014-2016: Spezia

2015-2016: Roma (loan)

2016-present: Roma

2016-2017: Bologna (loan)

2017: Torino (loan)

2018: NAC Breda (loan)

'It's a similar situation in the wide areas as it was in the full-backs where we've got two very strong options and a couple of young kids.

'If the right person becomes available in the wide areas, then we'll try and add. But we've not got one name that we're chasing.

'There's a group of names we're monitoring and in the forward areas. I've tried to go from back to front. That doesn't mean I have to do a midfielder before a forward, but defence was definitely the priority.' Gerrard did, however, rule out previous speculation about an ambitious move to land his ex-Liverpool team-mate Lucas Leiva from Lazio.

'It is not possible,' he said. 'Lucas has just won Player of the Year for Lazio and I'm sure his wages are very, very high.' Meanwhile, the Ibrox boss revealed that Graham Dorrans had had a positive report on his knee injury after leaving the training base near Malaga last week.

'The sensible thing was for him to go back to the people that we trust (in the UK) and get it checked out,' added Gerrard.

'We are really happy with what we have discovered on the scan. It is good news.

'He will join back up with the squad when we get home. The physio will assess him and he will have a plan to try and get fit and catch up and be a part of it.

'There was a chance it could have been serious. But the scans were good, so we are delighted.'
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
Cally
Egg
Egg
Re: Gerrard and Rangers interested in Sadiq Umar

Post by Cally »

This would be a good move if it works out.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Nigerian players are about to become flavour of the month once again in the international transfer market, thanks to SE exploits. I expect clubs to be seriously looking at Francis Odinaka Uzoho especially and his fellow previously under-rated talented players.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Goldleaf wrote:Nigerian players are about to become flavour of the month once again in the international transfer market, thanks to SE exploits. I expect clubs to be seriously looking at Francis Odinaka Uzoho especially and his fellow previously under-rated talented players.
He has that imposing height which fits naturally with European club requirements.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Season long loan move to Rangers? Nah he can do better than that based on the hype on CE :lol: If he ends up on the bench, it could be over and downhill from there. Gerrard is acquiring players wholesale with no experience of making such work. He's not at a place like Loserpool where there's familiarity, odds of the sack will be high. Why not offer to sign him outright if they really want him? That way he'll get paid more and will atleast have a fat bank account if he's placed on the bench. Too many loan moves can take a toll on the perception and value of a player.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS