Data analysis/machine learning has made set pieces better

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Data analysis/machine learning has made set pieces better

Post by Scipio Africanus »

in this WC. I will bet on that. You think say na only Amazon wey like better tin?

Somebody found a new algorithm. It will probably all come out later, after the WC.

Wha choo looking at?!
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Data analysis/machine learning has made set pieces bette

Post by bamenda boy »

Camex?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Scipio Africanus wrote:in this WC. I will bet on that. You think say na only Amazon wey like better tin?

Somebody found a new algorithm. It will probably all come out later, after the WC.

Its no secret that countries use data. germany used it last world cup too. These guys are breaking down and analyzing live games as it occurs and making adjustments. Other teams have loads of analysts doing this. I mentioned this in the Germany game thread this past weekend. While its never foolproof, these little things give countries like Germany the edge over the course of a tournament.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevemccas ... 986afd4277
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

metalalloy wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:in this WC. I will bet on that. You think say na only Amazon wey like better tin?

Its no secret that countries use data. germany used it last world cup too. These guys are breaking down and analyzing live games as it occurs and making adjustments. Other teams have loads of analysts doing this. I mentioned this in the Germany game thread this past weekend. While its never foolproof, these little things give countries like Germany the edge over the course of a tournament.

:scared: :scared:

So soccer don take style turn into NFL ...

Wha choo looking at?!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
metalalloy wrote:

Exactly, i saw a screenshot of an ipad that one of the Germany assistants flash on the screen. Also, in one of the press conferences or pre world cup shows i watched, someone revealed Germany or Spain had like 37 analysts or so doing live in game analysis and passing info, suggesting opponent weaknesses and where to target to the coaches on the sideline. We have a long way to go lol.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

metalalloy wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
metalalloy wrote:

Exactly, i saw a screenshot of an ipad that one of the Germany assistants flash on the screen. Also, in one of the press conferences or pre world cup shows i watched, someone revealed [img]Germany%20or%20Spain%20%20had%20like%2037%20analysts%20or%20so%20doing%20live%20in%20game%20analysis%20and%20passing%20info[/img], suggesting opponent weaknesses and where to target to the coaches on the sideline. We have a long way to go lol.
And that is the koko of the matter.

Even Opta collect their stats that way - A painstaking processes of observer analysts counting and recording different performance measures on software and relaying that live info to base.

See the set piece delivered by England yesterday. I am still traumatised by it's brilliance.

Anyway, it would appear that teams with enough opposition data will be better placed to win international tournaments in future.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
born2win
Egg
Egg

Post by born2win »

If super eagles has better analyst they will study England corner kick /setpieces methods.

Yesterday they had 7 shots at goal , 6 scored.

who cares about possession
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

born2win wrote:If super eagles has better analyst they will study England corner kick /setpieces methods.

Yesterday they had 7 shots at goal , 6 scored.

who cares about possession
You speak as if England didn't have possession.

In the dying minutes of the game, possession matters little. All you are trying to do is contain.

What England had was a gameplan and options for different eventualities plus discipline.

nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

Its actually not that hard, but we like to treat Soccer as if its magic when simple analysis will do
goke313 wrote:We have a long way to go in the data analytics department
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

nanijoe wrote:Its actually not that hard, but we like to treat Soccer as if its magic when simple analysis will do
goke313 wrote:We have a long way to go in the data analytics department
Money, kit and bodies to do the analysis.

Does it even register on NFF's list of priorities?