Why are the goalposts being shifted for Gernot Rohr?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

RomanusOjinta
Egg
Egg
Why are the goalposts being shifted for Gernot Rohr?

Post by RomanusOjinta »

In 2014, despite qualifying the team to the world cup with ease and winning Nigeria's first world cup game in 16 years and getting past the first round for the first time since 1998, we all (rightfully) came down hard on Stephen Keshi for the perceived dodgy selection and lack of nous that saw us finish second in the group, eventually losing a winnable second round game against a France team that on paper was far superior to us.

Yes, he was owed his wages for almost a year by the NFF who were actively trying to sabotage him, and yes his focus was distracted by being given the intentionally disruptive task of handling the CHAN tournament less than four months to the world cup, but NONE OF THOSE THINGS WERE EXCUSES apparently. If he didn't like the treatment, he could have walked away and all that.

So my question is, why is it any different for Mr Gernot Rohr? He has just served up our worst world cup game performance and result since losing 1-4 to Denmark, and he has done this while starting with the obviously wrong team and setup, and waiting till the 70th minute to make his first change, saving the final change till the 88th minute. He has practically ensured that we are not going past the first round, and even more alarmingly we will probably not score a single goal or register a point throughout this tournament.

I am seeing lots of threads about individual players and their shortcomings, but I was here in 2014 and I remember clearly that the conversation was (rightfully) about Stephen Keshi and ONLY about Keshi because it is the manager that takes responsibility. Why is it different now? Why is it about Mikel's ego, wanting to play the #10 he clearly cannot, or about Ekong's mediocrity, or Shehu's lack of spatial awareness, or Victor Moses' lack of effectiveness, or Ighalo's lack of talent? Why isn't it about the coach that selected all these players and set them up to play the exact way we just saw since the England friendly?

Gernot Rohr is a clear failure who should be released from his contract immediately after our final group game, so why are you people not talking about that? Up until a few days ago, someone was still putting up a thread disparaging Stephen Keshi even after he has been dead for over 2 years, but this oyinbo has managed to serve up a worse performance than Nigeria vs Iran and nobody is going at him with anything close to the amount of rage or personal invective that they did with Keshi.

Why? Can anyone explain that?
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Why are the goalposts being shifted for Gernot Rohr?

Post by cchinukw »

You go wait tire for explanation.

Some of these jokers like Vancity Eagle will run their mouths when it is an Amodu or Keshi and give opportunists like Rohr an easy pass instead of seeing them for what they really are.

Una see now?

Great team organisation, bonuses paid, fantastic preparation.

Just imagine if Keshi had been given a quarter of that support. Just imagine.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Because we are WOWO.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by General Trousers »

I would agree with cchinukw. The performance was anemic and hapless. The colonialists here will say the relative humidity and barometric pressure were slightly off.
cchinukw wrote:You go wait tire for explanation.

Some of these jokers like Vancity Eagle will run their mouths when it is an Amodu or Keshi and give opportunists like Rohr an easy pass instead of seeing them for what they really are.

Una see now?

Great team organisation, bonuses paid, fantastic preparation.

Just imagine if Keshi had been given a quarter of that support. Just imagine.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Almost no one is attacking Keshi for what he did with the team in 2014.
In a fair world (without crap referees being the 12th player for the opposing side) Nigeria in 2014 would have beaten France and made the 1/4 final.

The only problem people had with Keshi was the terrible selection of bench players. He basically took one first XI, but the moment the team needed a sub - Keshi was out of options.

Rohr messed this up by being too conservative. He needed players like Onyekuru, Nwakali, Kalu or whoever to mix things up a bit. Or simply the fact he stuck with Ighalo despite the man not scoring for god knows how many games.
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

RomanusOjinta wrote:In 2014, despite qualifying the team to the world cup with ease and winning Nigeria's first world cup game in 16 years and getting past the first round for the first time since 1998, we all (rightfully) came down hard on Stephen Keshi for the perceived dodgy selection and lack of nous that saw us finish second in the group, eventually losing a winnable second round game against a France team that on paper was far superior to us.

Yes, he was owed his wages for almost a year by the NFF who were actively trying to sabotage him, and yes his focus was distracted by being given the intentionally disruptive task of handling the CHAN tournament less than four months to the world cup, but NONE OF THOSE THINGS WERE EXCUSES apparently. If he didn't like the treatment, he could have walked away and all that.

So my question is, why is it any different for Mr Gernot Rohr? He has just served up our worst world cup game performance and result since losing 1-4 to Denmark, and he has done this while starting with the obviously wrong team and setup, and waiting till the 70th minute to make his first change, saving the final change till the 88th minute. He has practically ensured that we are not going past the first round, and even more alarmingly we will probably not score a single goal or register a point throughout this tournament.

I am seeing lots of threads about individual players and their shortcomings, but I was here in 2014 and I remember clearly that the conversation was (rightfully) about Stephen Keshi and ONLY about Keshi because it is the manager that takes responsibility. Why is it different now? Why is it about Mikel's ego, wanting to play the #10 he clearly cannot, or about Ekong's mediocrity, or Shehu's lack of spatial awareness, or Victor Moses' lack of effectiveness, or Ighalo's lack of talent? Why isn't it about the coach that selected all these players and set them up to play the exact way we just saw since the England friendly?

Gernot Rohr is a clear failure who should be released from his contract immediately after our final group game, so why are you people not talking about that? Up until a few days ago, someone was still putting up a thread disparaging Stephen Keshi even after he has been dead for over 2 years, but this oyinbo has managed to serve up a worse performance than Nigeria vs Iran and nobody is going at him with anything close to the amount of rage or personal invective that they did with Keshi.

God bless you sir................... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

We deserve what we are getting now for the way we treated
Keshi, Amodu and to a lesser extent, Oliseh. People who behave
like us do not deserve to be successful.

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

RomanusOjinta wrote:In 2014, despite qualifying the team to the world cup with ease and winning Nigeria's first world cup game in 16 years and getting past the first round for the first time since 1998, we all (rightfully) came down hard on Stephen Keshi for the perceived dodgy selection and lack of nous that saw us finish second in the group, eventually losing a winnable second round game against a France team that on paper was far superior to us.

You forgot to mention that Rohr’s contract was extended
BEFORE the World Cup. We deserve to lose all our games
and exit in the group stage.

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

marutimon wrote:Almost no one is attacking Keshi for what he did with the team in 2014.
In a fair world (without crap referees being the 12th player for the opposing side) Nigeria in 2014 would have beaten France and made the 1/4 final.

The only problem people had with Keshi was the terrible selection of bench players. He basically took one first XI, but the moment the team needed a sub - Keshi was out of options.

Rohr messed this up by being too conservative. He needed players like Onyekuru, Nwakali, Kalu or whoever to mix things up a bit. Or simply the fact he stuck with Ighalo despite the man not scoring for god knows how many games.
You don't get it.........Rohr's problems has nothing to do with players selection.
Rohr has KILLED our 'CAN-DO' spirit.........we play cowardly football that invites our opponents to attack us at will.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

They just have inferior complex.
RomanusOjinta
Egg
Egg

Post by RomanusOjinta »

Shall we shift them some more?

Let's shift them some more.
ugly boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ugly boy »

Keshi was corrupt....RIP
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

zee wrote:
marutimon wrote:Almost no one is attacking Keshi for what he did with the team in 2014.

You don't get it.........Rohr's problems has nothing to do with players selection.
Rohr has KILLED our 'CAN-DO' spirit.........we play cowardly football that invites our opponents to attack us at will.
What "Can do" sprit?

Here is our 'CAN DO' WC record

1970 - 1990 --- Did not qualify
1994 -------------- Round of 16
1998 -------------- Round of 16
2002 .-------------- Group stage
2006 ....------------ did not qualify
2010 --------------- Group stage
2014 ---------------- Round of 16
2018 ---------------- Group stage.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Keshi was not fired after the world cup. He was fired after ge failed to qualify for the nations cup playing against countries like Congo Brazza...

Players were discussed when we played badly against France too. Gabriel Reuben, Oshaniwa, Ambrose and Mikel were blamed back then.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

I hate cowardly managers. I never liked the late Amodu's approach because I felt his approach limits the team. I love Keshi's arrogance but it became his undoing - Keshi was so good he believed he could field PaJ & Uncle 1naira in the world cup and still motivate them to win.
Mr Rohr is simply a disappointment. He is a total coward who ended up sabotaging the team with his cowardice. He wasted almost all our friendlies - all the lessons learned from the friendlies never sinked into his head. I can't believe we ended up playing Argentina without Ebuehi & Iwobi playing major roles. That right there is a 'play it safe' coward in action.

Sincerely he did well. He did what he was hired to do but when the talents in this team presented him with a glorious opportunity to overachieve, his cowardice denied him a huge moment of glory. It's time to move on.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

YemiBrazil wrote:I hate cowardly managers. I never liked the late Amodu's approach because I felt his approach limits the team. I love Keshi's arrogance but it became his undoing - Keshi was so good he believed he could field PaJ & Uncle 1naira in the world cup and still motivate them to win.
Mr Rohr is simply a disappointment. He is a total coward who ended up sabotaging the team with his cowardice. He wasted almost all our friendlies - all the lessons learned from the friendlies never sinked into his head. I can't believe we ended up playing Argentina without Ebuehi & Iwobi playing major roles. That right there is a 'play it safe' coward in action.

Sincerely he did well. He did what he was hired to do but when the talents in this team presented him with a glorious opportunity to overachieve, his cowardice denied him a huge moment of glory. It's time to move on.
The problem is that if we go back to Siasia, I guarantee we'll score more goals but he'll invite many questionable players and our defense won't be as organized. The question is how can we marry the defensive solidity, good call-ups of Rohr with Nigerian attacking football?
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Or maybe the current set of Nigerian players are average? Anyone looked at this angle
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

marko wrote:Or maybe the current set of Nigerian players are average? Anyone looked at this angle
And they weren't average 4 years ago? Please shut up if you won't improve the silence bro
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

.... And Pinnick who employed him.

unfortunately Channels TV sport analysts used to call out incompetence, but since their colleague become the SE media person all that changed. I stopped watching them.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

marko wrote:Or maybe the current set of Nigerian players are average? Anyone looked at this angle
Apart from the goalkeeper, I believe the current set are better than what Amodu, Keshi, Siasia & Oliseh had to deal. Also, we now have a better FA that organized good friendlies, addressed financial issues & follow-up with our players even when we are not playing any match. No, this is not about the players. They are good enough to compete and that is obvious.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

There is a time to actually shut up and reason with your brain and then speak.....

The players might be average, but the coach is below average.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Amodu and Keshi, two Nigerian great coaches sent to an early grave with unpaid wages by a twisted and perverted NFF.

Oyinbo na oyinbo.

We employed a coach to take our academicals to the World Cup to shadow the stars.

Abeyuwa!!!
Last edited by cchinukw on Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

I think Gernot Rohr has failed. We can do better.

Bryne V. Deane [1937]