The biggest issue was about quality

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
The biggest issue was about quality

Post by Tbite »

I think Ighalo missed a good opportunity, I think some of our defenders were ball watching. I think Rohr should have made some substitutions.

I think maybe Uzoho could have done a bit better. There are so many things to ponder on the day, and realistically having seen how the match unfolded, we could definitely have proceeded.

But the biggest issue why we did not proceed, goes back to quality, goes back to the structure of Nigerian football. The Big teams are more consistent, because the have the tools to be consistent. How can you be consistent without said tools?

For example you talk about Ighalo and wish he had been clinical, but is he a clinical striker? As Nigerians, we hope for outcomes that we do not actually have the tools to consistently deliver. Prior to the tournament we all knew that Ighalo for example was not clinical, we knew that Uzoho lacked experience, we knew our weaknesses. We knew that Balogun and Ekong couldn't play from the back.

These weaknesses are not a curse on our football, it is not bad luck. We have these problems because we do not produce quality, because our system is inadequate.

Even if we had qualified at the expense of Argentina, would this writeup be wrong? Qualifying for the R16, even beating France would NOT mean that our football was in a healthy position. It would simply mean, that the underdog had its day.

The question is, do we want to be a team that HOPES that our players have their day, or a team that has so many tools to call upon, that even at our worst, we can still compete at the highest of levels. This is a poor Argentinian team, and look at what their quality has accomplished.

We must not ask ourselves if Ighalo coulda shoulda taken that opportunity, but rather how we can get our football into a position where players like Ighalo are taken out of the equation completely. We need to be producing better players. Sure teams like Iceland can have fairytale runs, but to be a truly competitive side, you need quality.

Rohr has been alright, the coaching is not the biggest issue. He has made mistakes, but our underlying football structure is the issue. Recycle as many coaches as you want, it won't make much of a difference.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg
Re: The biggest issue was about quality

Post by TheHitman47 »

I think our lack of quality also puts self doubt into the team and into results so with players thinking about themselves like that they lack confidence in their ability to win.

Quality comes from confidence. Confidence in your ability to pass a ball, shoot and so on. But that also comes with time, experience and infrastructure.

Quality also helps teams play multiple ways.