It is time for Emmanuel Amuneke!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: It is time for Emmanuel Amuneke!

Post by green4life »

Bell wrote:
heavyd wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
osita wrote:Amunike will be great, with Rohr we are going nowhere.......... let’s use our Nigerian ex foreign internationals .

Based on what?
I wouldnt mind Amuneke being drafted into the team now as an assistant with a view to taking over in a few years.

THAT'S AN OLD LINE, AND...

...it doesn't work anymore. The clowns in the NFA used to pick a Nigerian as an assistant to "understudy" the foreign coach. You'd think at some point, the Nigerian assistant would take over. But it never happened. Amunike doesn't need to understudy anybody.
Bell
Keshi (rip), Siasia, Oliseh, amadi, chukwu, eguavoen, etc. are former SE players who have taken over at one point or another.... the job should be merit based though
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Damunk wrote:
ohsee wrote:
OJI wrote:Do you want me to post his resume? Are you familiar with his exploits?

FYI, he is a member of the FIFA Technical Study Group for this world cup to help provide tactical insights.
https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/fifa ... -world-cup

Among those selected are Carlos Alberto Parreira, Bora Milutinović, Alessandro Nesta, Andy Roxburgh, Marco van Basten.

Cerebral footballers and /or coaches. Open to constructive criticism.

You think he was selected because he knows how to cut okra?
Chief, who is "Emmanuel Amuneke?" You went to the FIFA site, you saw they spelled his name "Amunike," yet you come here and spell it "Amuneke?" You think FIFA is like Nigerians who do not pay any attention to detail? I cannot understand why Nigerians insist on calling the man "Amuneke," even people who should know better having seen the man during his playing days wear a jersey with the name "AMUNIKE" clearly spelled on the back. And we wonder why we do so poorly in everything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmanuel_Amunike
Emmanuel Amunike (often misspelled Amuneke; born 25 December 1970) is a Nigerian retired footballer who played as a left winger
Boss, OJI is correct.
I believe Emmanuel himself corrected the world just a few years ago, informing us that the correct spelling of his name is actually AMUNEKE.
His whole playing career we've known him as Amunike but this, he says, was wrong.
I will dig out the thread where he was quoted and the matter discussed...
OK, I am waiting. You--or him, if you are correct--will have to explain why he has worn "Amunike" on all the jerseys he has for all the clubs and the national teams he has played for. Or why his football academy in Nigeria is called "Emmanuel Amunike Football Academy."

I am an Igbo man, and I don't know what "Amuneke" means; I know what "Amunike" means.
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

marko wrote:In 4 years, the same people will say sack Amunike, never ending story
So what?
If you don't deliver, you get the sack...that's the name of the game.
German coach has a contract till 2024, but dude is dead man walking after yesterday's game...that's the name of the game.

Our football-coward should be sent packing immediately.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

zee wrote:
marko wrote:In 4 years, the same people will say sack Amunike, never ending story
So what?
If you don't deliver, you get the sack...that's the name of the game.
German coach has a contract till 2024, but dude is dead man walking after yesterday's game...that's the name of the game.

Our football-coward should be sent packing immediately.
KPOM!!!!!!!!!
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Damunk wrote:Here we go, I was similarly put right on Nov 11, 2015. :D

Damunk wrote:
Polly wrote:
Robotnik wrote:
Damunk wrote:Guys, please...its Amunike, not Amuneke.
If we as Nigerians can't get the names of our heroes right, how can we expect foreigners to?
I am guessing the various spellings of his name has to do with it's interpretation. Someone shed more light on this. This is a serious inquiry.
No, the correct version is Amuneke. In a recent FIFA.com report, the coach himself clarified it, saying it was misspelled when he was a player, but that the correct spelling is Amuneke.

Here is the report: http://tinyurl.com/olka2ko
Thanks! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
This is news to so many people!!!
In closing, Amuneke clarifies one of the questions that football fans have been asking: Is his name spelt with an 'e' or an 'i'? “I think the name was simply misspelled during my playing days and since then it had stayed. Throughout my playing days I was using 'Amunike', but now, I prefer to use the correct name: 'Amuneke'.”
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=266546&p=4651675
OK, I posted before I saw this. If that is how he now spells his name, I guess I am forced to accept it. It's an odd comment because even when he played in Sporting and Barcelona, he continued to use the "wrong" spelling. And why he used the "wrong" spelling with his Academy remains a mystery to me despite his half-assed explanation.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

ohsee wrote:
Damunk wrote:Here we go, I was similarly put right on Nov 11, 2015. :D

Damunk wrote:
Polly wrote:
Robotnik wrote:
Damunk wrote:Guys, please...its Amunike, not Amuneke.
If we as Nigerians can't get the names of our heroes right, how can we expect foreigners to?
I am guessing the various spellings of his name has to do with it's interpretation. Someone shed more light on this. This is a serious inquiry.
No, the correct version is Amuneke. In a recent FIFA.com report, the coach himself clarified it, saying it was misspelled when he was a player, but that the correct spelling is Amuneke.

Here is the report: http://tinyurl.com/olka2ko
Thanks! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
This is news to so many people!!!
In closing, Amuneke clarifies one of the questions that football fans have been asking: Is his name spelt with an 'e' or an 'i'? “I think the name was simply misspelled during my playing days and since then it had stayed. Throughout my playing days I was using 'Amunike', but now, I prefer to use the correct name: 'Amuneke'.”
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=266546&p=4651675
OK, I posted before I saw this. If that is how he now spells his name, I guess I am forced to accept it. It's an odd comment because even when he played in Sporting and Barcelona, he continued to use the "wrong" spelling. And why he used the "wrong" spelling with his Academy remains a mystery to me despite his half-assed explanation.
This is true but maybe he just wanted to cash in on the 'Amunike' brand rather than use his corrected spelling.

Remember even John Mikel Obi's middle name came about after a spelling error and it has stuck ever since.
He has never bothered to change it and it has now become his identity
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
fishward6
Egg
Egg

Post by fishward6 »

OJI wrote:Criteria for staying in this job was to get out of the group stage. He did not. He simply has to go. No double standards.

We thank you for your organizational skills, and seemingly transparent approach to player selection, and qualifying Nigeria out of the so called group of death WC qualifiers. His approach is valid in Africa where other teams suffer dysfunctional off-the-field issues. At the world Cup level, he was out of his depth.

His reactive, psychologically debilitating approach (ranking, quality BS, etc.), and lack of experience at this level is too glaring. This world cup was an internship for Rohr. He was the one doing the learning. About players, formations, game tactics, psychological preparation, etc. The list is endless.

We have got rid of local coaches for less who operated with less support. No double standards.

It is time for some hard, necessary decisions. Nigeria's long term football interest supersedes sentimental issues.

Yes

It is time for Emmanuel Amuneke. Experienced, tactical, strategic, and played at the highest level. Open to constructive technical criticisms. Before, during and after the match.

Time is up for Rohr!
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Damunk wrote:This is true but maybe he just wanted to cash in on the 'Amunike' brand rather than use his corrected spelling.

Remember even John Mikel Obi's middle name came about after a spelling error and it has stuck ever since.
Chief Doc, let me reiterate that I accept that this is the "correct" spelling of his name according to him, the bearer of the name. People are free to spell their names anyway they choose--after all, some Browns spell their name Browne and Browyne, and some Smiths spell it Smythe. I too have changed the spelling of my name, though my FIRST name, not my last.

HOWEVER...
There is something fishy about the original name being "Amuneke". As far as I know, the pronunciation of the last syllable of the name is "ee-kay" as in Ikechukwu (God's strength), or Ikemba (strength of the people), not "ehkeh" as in Egwu Eke (python dance), or Nkwo, Eke, Olie, Afor (Igbo weekdays). As every Igbo man knows, "ike" is strength, and "eke" is either python, or second day of the week. Eke is the name of my hometown, pronounced "ehkeh" meaning market day or python, and it is uniformly spelled that way throughout Igboland according to the spelling conventions we have inherited from Colonial Ingerland.

Now, anybody who thinks, "There goes ohsee doing ITK again," please move on, don't annoy yourself any further on my account. Others who like to see an analysis taken to its conclusion, please allow me to continue. :D

Every Igbo man knows that there is a way you will say "Amunike" i.e. by changing the tone, and it will mean "penis in bottom," instead of "uproarious laughter," or "studious learner." We who grew up in Nigeria will know that a name like that is a serious problem in secondary school. It will be yabis galore, no question. Dem no go let you rest, and you will be fighting all the time. I know people with similar names who changed it or the spelling for that very reason--one guy in my class was surnamed Ejimamuike; he changed it to Ejim, but that did not prevent people from calling him "Strong penis" all through school. :lol:

I am wondering here--and this is the purest speculation--if our football great did not change the spelling of his name in secondary school, take his school certificate or whatever with that name, but reverted to the "real" spelling once he started to play footie? It is odd that he has gone over two decades using a false spelling, if it is indeed false. Why did he not correct it the minute someone tried to put it on his jersey? Why not correct it on his registration? I would suspect that his passport bears the "Amunike" spelling.

The Obi Mikel case is not the same--I saw an interview in which Mikel said he changed his name deliberately because it sounded more "show biz"; he just like "Mikel" better; furthermore, he made "Mikel" his surname, when it is his middle name.

Anyway, I have accepted that one of our all-time greats, Emmanuel, now wants to be called "Amuneke." I just think we don't know the full story, and if I lived in Nigeria, I would investigate further because I be ITK, and because knowledge, no matter how trivial, is important or can be important. :idea:
goldenera94
Egg
Egg

Post by goldenera94 »

For as long as a local coach sees the eagles job as a piggybag, i am a NO vote.

OJI wrote:Criteria for staying in this job was to get out of the group stage. He did not. He simply has to go. No double standards.

We thank you for your organizational skills, and seemingly transparent approach to player selection, and qualifying Nigeria out of the so called group of death WC qualifiers. His approach is valid in Africa where other teams suffer dysfunctional off-the-field issues. At the world Cup level, he was out of his depth.

His reactive, psychologically debilitating approach (ranking, quality BS, etc.), and lack of experience at this level is too glaring. This world cup was an internship for Rohr. He was the one doing the learning. About players, formations, game tactics, psychological preparation, etc. The list is endless.

We have got rid of local coaches for less who operated with less support. No double standards.

It is time for some hard, necessary decisions. Nigeria's long term football interest supersedes sentimental issues.

It is time for Emmanuel Amuneke. Experienced, tactical, strategic, and played at the highest level. Open to constructive technical criticisms. Before, during and after the match.

Time is up for Rohr!
Goldenera94
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

goldenera94 wrote:For as long as a local coach sees the eagles job as a piggybag, i am a NO vote.

Time is up for Rohr!
and the Wowo coaches see the job as 'CHARITY' .......................you daft Wowos :D will near learn nor make sense.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

Damunk wrote:
bully12 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
bully12 wrote:I'm absolutely dumbfounded that some SE fans want this depraved fool retained as SE coach . This man overtly stymied SE from reaching round 16. The man needs to be thoroughly investigated and prosecuted to the fullest extent to the law for his overt malfeasance . Please can somebody tell me why the fool refuse to substitute the players when it apparently clear to everybody that Nigeria needed fresh leg to repel the relentless attacks from Argentina . The man practically did nothing waiting for the worst to happen. I believe something funny happened behind the scene .
There you go, mouthing off and shooting from the hip again. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
What about if the player was Kelechi as many have suggested?
He was substituted!
Engage your thinking faculties before you put your mouth in gear.
So you sincerely believe the guy refusing to substitute when the team definitely needed it is normal . How come I'm not surprise this is emanating from you. Birds of identical plumage congregate to the nearest proximity . Depraved physician.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Chineke! See correct grammar!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I believe bully was referring to the latter stages of the second half, not half time. Our left side needed help so bad and the coach did absolutely nothing. The cross that led to the goal came from there.
...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. - Phil. 2: 12

...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. - Josh. 24: 15

"You need to grow up and respect the fact that people can disagree with you without you getting personal about it. People have a right to express their opinion and you have no right to try and suppress the rights of others because you do not like or disagree with it." - Waffiman
elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

ohsee wrote:
Damunk wrote:This is true but maybe he just wanted to cash in on the 'Amunike' brand rather than use his corrected spelling.

Chief Doc, let me reiterate that I accept that this is the "correct" spelling of his name according to him, the bearer of the name. People are free to spell their names anyway they choose--after all, some Browns spell their name Browne and Browyne, and some Smiths spell it Smythe. I too have changed the spelling of my name, though my FIRST name, not my last.

HOWEVER...
There is something fishy about the original name being "Amuneke". As far as I know, the pronunciation of the last syllable of the name is "ee-kay" as in Ikechukwu (God's strength), or Ikemba (strength of the people), not "ehkeh" as in Egwu Eke (python dance), or Nkwo, Eke, Olie, Afor (Igbo weekdays). As every Igbo man knows, "ike" is strength, and "eke" is either python, or second day of the week. Eke is the name of my hometown, pronounced "ehkeh" meaning market day or python, and it is uniformly spelled that way throughout Igboland according to the spelling conventions we have inherited from Colonial Ingerland.

Now, anybody who thinks, "There goes ohsee doing ITK again," please move on, don't annoy yourself any further on my account. Others who like to see an analysis taken to its conclusion, please allow me to continue. :D

Every Igbo man knows that there is a way you will say "Amunike" i.e. by changing the tone, and it will mean "penis in bottom," instead of "uproarious laughter," or "studious learner." We who grew up in Nigeria will know that a name like that is a serious problem in secondary school. It will be yabis galore, no question. Dem no go let you rest, and you will be fighting all the time. I know people with similar names who changed it or the spelling for that very reason--one guy in my class was surnamed Ejimamuike; he changed it to Ejim, but that did not prevent people from calling him "Strong penis" all through school. :lol:

I am wondering here--and this is the purest speculation--if our football great did not change the spelling of his name in secondary school, take his school certificate or whatever with that name, but reverted to the "real" spelling once he started to play footie? It is odd that he has gone over two decades using a false spelling, if it is indeed false. Why did he not correct it the minute someone tried to put it on his jersey? Why not correct it on his registration? I would suspect that his passport bears the "Amunike" spelling.

The Obi Mikel case is not the same--I saw an interview in which Mikel said he changed his name deliberately because it sounded more "show biz"; he just like "Mikel" better; furthermore, he made "Mikel" his surname, when it is his middle name.

Anyway, I have accepted that one of our all-time greats, Emmanuel, now wants to be called "Amuneke." I just think we don't know the full story, and if I lived in Nigeria, I would investigate further because I be ITK, and because knowledge, no matter how trivial, is important or can be important. :idea:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. - Phil. 2: 12

...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. - Josh. 24: 15

"You need to grow up and respect the fact that people can disagree with you without you getting personal about it. People have a right to express their opinion and you have no right to try and suppress the rights of others because you do not like or disagree with it." - Waffiman
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Dammy wrote:The same Amunike that kidnapped Kelechi iheanacho after the 2013 U17 WC because FC Porto wanted the player and it took Kelechi's father to cry out in the media before the boy was released?
Have we also quickly forgotten that Oliseh's first invitations as SE manager was to invite 2 of his brother's players, who didn't merit the invites?
The key for me is integrity and wether we retain Rohr or get a new coach, we must not go back to the days of dubious invitations again.
kpom. Some of our guys here don't understand. We all remember how Amunike's brother Kevin, from nowhere was in the line against Angola. Where is he today?
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

Sir V wrote:
Dammy wrote:The same Amunike that kidnapped Kelechi iheanacho after the 2013 U17 WC because FC Porto wanted the player and it took Kelechi's father to cry out in the media before the boy was released?
Have we also quickly forgotten that Oliseh's first invitations as SE manager was to invite 2 of his brother's players, who didn't merit the invites?
The key for me is integrity and wether we retain Rohr or get a new coach, we must not go back to the days of dubious invitations again.
kpom. Some of our guys here don't understand. We all remember how Amunike's brother Kevin, from nowhere was in the line against Angola. Where is he today?
Where are the players that made their debut under Wowo Vogts......................take your woworism :lol: :lol: to your co-Wowos.