we need to start planning for the AFCON QUALIFIERS

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Chimex101
Egg
Egg
we need to start planning for the AFCON QUALIFIERS

Post by Chimex101 »

Since our "adventure" at the world cup has come to an end, we can at least salvage some consolation in the fact that the core of our players who form the nucleus of the new SE generation have tasted some world cup experience...they were pretty just JJC's to the world cup experience with the exception of Mikel, Victor Moses, Onazi, Echejilie,and Musa. Going forward, we play I believe Seychelles in 3 months time...easy game(with due respect to the tiny island). For once in several turbulent years, we seem to have a semblance of a steady and set team, with of course familiar names like Onyekuru, Simon Moses, Aina, Nwakali brothers finally rejoining the world cup boys, and hopefully the likes Umar, Osimhen,and my boy Awoniyi then a few others adding to our depth chart(we should have a more enterprising team ready to make a big comeback in Qatar '22)... note that Ighalo will either have to be retired for good post this WC along with Echejilie and maybe Onazi and Ogu, or play a less dominant role with the aforementioned young players/strikers waiting on the fringes to finally grab their opportunity once and for all. I tip one of Victor Osimhen, Umar and Awoniyi to be our main #9 in the near future, which starts as early as AFCON 2019. E never bad for us, talent still dey...the organizational and managerial stint under Piinnick has been nothing short of magnificent so far, and hopefully the old bad habits of terrible planning and in-fighting has come to an end in these tenure.

AFCON 2019 promises to be exciting, with the likes of Ghana rebuilding a formidable team under the imperial leadership of their new midfield maestro Thomas Partey ahead of the AFCONS and WC's ahead, I fancy a big rekindling of our rivalry on a more thrilling level, hopefully we shall meet them soon again...and in a competitive final this time.
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg
Re: we need to start planning for the AFCON QUALIFIERS

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Obi Mikel needs to retire too...tired of him.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Does not need to retire but being captain does not mean automatic starting berth. He can still guide the players from the bench and learn from Rohr.....might be coach one day
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

NOT TOO EARLY FOR QATAR 2022 EITHER

The idea is go to Qatar in much different light than Nigeria has been going to the WC's. For me, I'm tired of going to WC's:
1) Ranked no. 58 by FIFA
2) Seeded lowest
3) Picked not to get to the round of 16
4) Picked as the underdog in most matchups
5) Given no hope by the press and pundits
6) Obliging all by failing to make it past the round robin phase

It's only four years to go and that leaves little time to find game-changing talents who would be anywhere between 18 and 22 years old.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Bell wrote:NOT TOO EARLY FOR QATAR 2022 EITHER

The idea is go to Qatar in much different light than Nigeria has been going to the WC's. For me, I'm tired of going to WC's:
1) Ranked no. 58 by FIFA
2) Seeded lowest
3) Picked not to get to the round of 16
4) Picked as the underdog in most matchups
5) Given no hope by the press and pundits
6) Obliging all by failing to make it past the round robin phase

It's only four years to go and that leaves little time to find game-changing talents who would be anywhere between 18 and 22 years old.

You want to go and learn again? Did you not get enough lessons in Russia
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
UpEagles
Egg
Egg

Post by UpEagles »

Enyi wrote:Does not need to retire but being captain does not mean automatic starting berth. He can still guide the players from the bench and learn from Rohr.....might be coach one day

I agree that he does not need to retire and can be an asset off the bench for another couple of years, but I respectfully disagree on the captain aspect. I have two issues with Mikel, really.

1) Mourinho is right: Mikel is just too slow and adds nothing in creating chances on goal. Plain and simple, he is not a threat in any way shape or form. He is a fine player at holding the ball and protecting the defenders, but that's not what this team needs in midfield. We need midfielders that can turn up-field and bring the game to the opposition. It would be fine to have a defensive midfielder if we had two great attacking midfielders along side, but the fact of the matter is we do not and we need all the creativeness we can muster from all 3 midfielders.

2)Lack of confidence or killer-instinct. In all his pre-world cup interviews, Mikel never gave the impression that his team stood a chance, especially against Argentina.
When discussing Nigeria's chances, Mikel lacked confidence and chooses his words very carefully.
http://www.espn.co.uk/video/latest-vide ... eo/3518997

In contrast, see how he glows when discussing England's chances.
http://www.espn.co.uk/video/latest-vide ... eo/3518849

You can't have a captain who doesn't believe in his own team's chance to win. It's a sign of weakness, if not, a loosing mentality and it has a trickle-down effect on the rest of a young team. What I saw against Croatia and especially against Argentina was a young team that was awestruck by the big names of their opponents instead of coming out to meet them in battle. I saw more disappointment and distress from Etebo and Musa at the end of that game than I saw from Mikel. In fact, the rest of the team cleared the field soon after the game, perhaps out of disappointment and they certianly were not hanging around congratulating the Argentinians. Mikel was the only one that lingered on the field long into the Argentine celebration, handing out hugs and hand shakes to their players. It's okay to respect your opponent, but it's not okay to envy them. We need new blood.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Chimex101 wrote:I tip one of Victor Osimhen, Umar and Awoniyi to be our main #9 in the near future, which starts as early as AFCON 2019.
I think Success should be tested as the no 9. There is a world class player somewhere in there.
Also try out Dennis Bonaventure.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

marutimon wrote:
Chimex101 wrote:I tip one of Victor Osimhen, Umar and Awoniyi to be our main #9 in the near future, which starts as early as AFCON 2019.
I think Success should be tested as the no 9. There is a world class player somewhere in there.
Success should stay fit and do something in his club first!
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

The focus for the future (AFCON 2019 and beyond) should be on the following five strikers:
Osimhen, Umar, Simy, Awoniyi and Dessers. All the others youngbucks, especially Bonaventure), are lightweights.

Ighalo should be thanked for his services and bid goodbye. He never had much to offer, not now or previously.
marutimon wrote:
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

AFCON is a bridge too far ... :taunt:
A criminal trial is not a search for truth. Science is a search for truth. Alan Dershowitz