Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:56 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:06 pm
Posts: 6501
Location: U.S.A
...midget thiefCo dancing around downtown Toronto, celebrating AFRICAN result at WC...
...ole...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:01 am
Posts: 46934
...Senegal blew their chances.
In a match you need a draw does not mean play for draw, you go for a win.
Senegal, like many other African teams screwed up big time.
Wasted chances in the first half, plus the Colombian goal was not defended properly.
Did you all see Gana standing at "akimbo" on the goal post like he was unconcerned with proceeding?
Oh, well that's how the pendulum swings, we Africans still need a lot to learn (at national team level).
Over all I think the players on the field let their country down.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:01 am
Posts: 46934
mate wrote:
Talking about African football would take many threads and consideration of each nation. But I think there is a principal factor that is a common denominator: socioeconomic development.

Until that is improved, it's difficult to match countries that have the facilities, program management, sports science, leagues and continuity to reach and develop players of the highest caliber. Again, it's tough to generalize. But I will say I saw improved tacts from African teams, but it came down to individual player quality, especially in the attacking 1/3...and, seemingly, defending set pieces.

I watched Senegal today with you. Pretty disciplined. Tall and physical. Fought hard. But honestly, there weren't any magical players. Nobody to create, inspire, or unlock. Colombia still had majority of possession, which to me is telling.

Finally, look at the stands. Lots of South American fans. It helps when your supporters can travel. Again, it's a continuous culture, rooted in socioeconomic development in my opinion.

Even in a small country like Croatia, our kids all get the best if they want to play. Academies. Usual crying about corruption and politics, but nobody starves and actually live dignified. We have a league to hone a national style. And have the luck of being in Europe, exposed to all the leagues.

Africa needs to match this kind of development. Again, it's just my 2 cents.
...since you are one of the ogas dem dey listen to on this forum, albeit a foreign oyinbo oga, I wish they take the abo in a serious consideration.
I don talk many many times, dem no like because na black man talk am, a Nigerian wey no dey smooze with them :sad:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:15 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:16 am
Posts: 19680
Location: Canada
So Poland just knocked the ball around toward the end as pay back to Senegal, na wah o. Ironically Japan progresses due to fair play (yellow cards), an idiotic idea if you ask me. Like the refs need any more ways to influence a team's chances. :roll:

_________________
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:16 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:07 am
Posts: 40599
camex wrote:
oloye wrote:
camex wrote:
oloye wrote:
Blame Senegal, when you have advantage in this game you take it. The game is like a pendulum, swings to and fro

I agree, Senegal was as good as Columbia but played wrong tactics. They only tried to score in the second half after Columbia scored. They should have come out earlier.

What is this played wrong tactics I keep hearing...they dominated the first half bit we're dumb in front of goal. That has nothing to do with tactics, all the pundits praised their effort. If you do not take your chances when you are up,don't blame the opposition when they use their ls when they have their moments in the game.

It was not about tactics, it was more of dumb personnel who kept making wrong decisions over and over ably led by their skipper Mane.

No coach can remove dumbness from players... especially national team coaches who have limited time with them.

I said tactics because they came in the first half to play but in the second half to defend. I am not talking about missed goals. They started playing for a draw too early.

It was not tactics that made them.come out timid in the second half....the Columbians woke up from their slumber. The Columbians did not gtlet their acts together in the first half something which Senegal should have punished which they did not.

No matter how bad the opposition might be in the game of football they would have their moment...that is why shitty teams have beaten better teams in the past.

Look at their play in their 3rd quarter,they kept making silly decisions. Freekicks were poorly delivered cl, crosses sent straight to rowz, that is not tactics, that is poor execution of tactics. It was definitely not tactics that made them watch as the Columbian headed the ball into their net while one of the players was standing by the post taking pics for the summer in Russia.

No coach can fix these things...ask that player why he was asked to stand at that post,he was there to block the ball not to lean on the post with arms akimbo and not even bother to react when the ball came bearing down.

Sir those moments have nothing to do with tactics, those are individual personnel decisions. Tactics define how to approach the game, it is up to the personnel to operate within the tactics, tactics become utterly useless when the personnel decide to take questionable decisions.

_________________
Image
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:01 pm
Posts: 7481
My Colombian coworker reminded me again this morning that they would lose to Senegal. Now I have to put on a smile and pretend like I am not hurt and embarrassed when I see her .

_________________
-Simpli fy -


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:19 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:55 pm
Posts: 44023
I can watch the WC in peace now. African teams must do better

_________________
Quote:
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:12 pm
Posts: 22275
YUJAM wrote:
I can watch the WC in peace now. African teams must do better


Kpom..................

_________________
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:13 am
Posts: 2528
In my opinion Aliou Cisse made the same fatal mistake that Rohr made:
He took non-scoring strikers to the World Cup.

Mbaye Niang was wasteful. He should have bet on Moussa Konate or Moussa Sow or even taken Demba Ba.

Senegal wasn't helped by Mane having a stinker of a tournament.

BTW: Notice how Senegal and Nigeria went down in the exact same way?
Totally dominated the gameplay, barely gave the opponent a sniff at goal, wasted countless opportunities due to bad finishing / poor decision making, concede a goal on a rare foray forward by their opponent while seemingly cruising, than the opponent totally disrupts the game with fouls, kicks, timewasting and so on...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:33 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:16 am
Posts: 19680
Location: Canada
marutimon wrote:
In my opinion Aliou Cisse made the same fatal mistake that Rohr made:
He took non-scoring strikers to the World Cup.

Mbaye Niang was wasteful. He should have bet on Moussa Konate or Moussa Sow or even taken Demba Ba.

Senegal wasn't helped by Mane having a stinker of a tournament.

BTW: Notice how Senegal and Nigeria went down in the exact same way?
Totally dominated the gameplay, barely gave the opponent a sniff at goal, wasted countless opportunities due to bad finishing / poor decision making, concede a goal on a rare foray forward by their opponent while seemingly cruising, than the opponent totally disrupts the game with fouls, kicks, timewasting and so on...

Seems our African EPL boys were burnt out, Mane, Salah, Moses. Injury may just have helped Ndidi.

_________________
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:13 am
Posts: 2528
mate wrote:
Colombia still had majority of possession, which to me is telling.


Dude, that was aimless possession in their own half. Senegal had less possession because they didn't play endless triangles.

The tactics were spot on. I would however criticize player selection. Mbaye Niang is not it. Cisse should have gone for proven goalscorers like Demba Ba or Moussa Sow, else go for players with a decent goalscoring record like Moussa Konate or Oumar Niasse.

Why is Mbaye Niang starting? He's scored 2 goals in like 14 games. Compare that to Niasse 3 in 9, Sow 19 in 50, Konate 10 in 29.

Mbaye Niang was Senegal's Ighalo. As in a non-scoring striker. He looked nice, but was so wasteful it hurts.

And also: That for me was a stonewall penalty.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:13 am
Posts: 2528
Mbaye Niang - 4 goals, 1 assist in 31 club games
started over:

Moussa Konate - 14 goals, 1 assist in 35 games
Oumar Niasse - 9 goals, 2 assists in 25 games (15 of them as a sub)

It's the same as with Ighalo. He looks nice on the goal, but waste possession and opportunities.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:33 pm
Posts: 15367
marutimon wrote:
mate wrote:
Colombia still had majority of possession, which to me is telling.


Dude, that was aimless possession in their own half. Senegal had less possession because they didn't play endless triangles.

The tactics were spot on. I would however criticize player selection. Mbaye Niang is not it. Cisse should have gone for proven goalscorers like Demba Ba or Moussa Sow, else go for players with a decent goalscoring record like Moussa Konate or Oumar Niasse.

Why is Mbaye Niang starting? He's scored 2 goals in like 14 games. Compare that to Niasse 3 in 9, Sow 19 in 50, Konate 10 in 29.

Mbaye Niang was Senegal's Ighalo. As in a non-scoring striker. He looked nice, but was so wasteful it hurts.

And also: That for me was a stonewall penalty.



I wouldn't call what Colombia did aimless possession. They at times looked fluent and had neat combinations. Not their usual quality, but they still showed a decent class individually.

I agree that tactics weren't decisive. My main point is it's individual player quality. Senegal just weren't good enough to create enough quality chances and finish. Same with Germany...only we're also talking about continents in this context.

As to player selection, I am not knowledgeable enough about Senegal. But from what I saw in 3 matches, they are decent but not a world beater. I really thought they played their best, with the results coming down to the details on chances and finishes we're discussing.

I know I'll sound like I'm beating a dead horse: but it's a simple game, often coming down to the individuals, before tactics and coaching.

_________________
Pax Americana...Wither Now?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:51 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:16 am
Posts: 19680
Location: Canada
Scipio Africanus wrote:
This swhyit is hard to beat a south American team at the WC. Skills, dem get. clinical finishing, dem get. Game sense, dem get am boku.

I think the S. American game sense comes from watching a lot of NBA, NFL, MLB. Sports that are all about game sense beyond tactics. Had we an NBA coach, in the last 20 mins against Argentina, he would have atleast made a sub to kill the tempo especially after the first scare (missed chance). Can't remember who got fouled (Etebo or Idowu), one of them got fouled and immediately got up to go harass the argie instead of staying down so his teammates can pick up a bottle of water or something. The players also need to up their game management. Rohr would make a terrible basketball coach, no doubt about it! Won't beat a college team with an NBA team.

_________________
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:33 pm
Posts: 15367
mcal wrote:
mate wrote:
Talking about African football would take many threads and consideration of each nation. But I think there is a principal factor that is a common denominator: socioeconomic development.

Until that is improved, it's difficult to match countries that have the facilities, program management, sports science, leagues and continuity to reach and develop players of the highest caliber. Again, it's tough to generalize. But I will say I saw improved tacts from African teams, but it came down to individual player quality, especially in the attacking 1/3...and, seemingly, defending set pieces.

I watched Senegal today with you. Pretty disciplined. Tall and physical. Fought hard. But honestly, there weren't any magical players. Nobody to create, inspire, or unlock. Colombia still had majority of possession, which to me is telling.

Finally, look at the stands. Lots of South American fans. It helps when your supporters can travel. Again, it's a continuous culture, rooted in socioeconomic development in my opinion.

Even in a small country like Croatia, our kids all get the best if they want to play. Academies. Usual crying about corruption and politics, but nobody starves and actually live dignified. We have a league to hone a national style. And have the luck of being in Europe, exposed to all the leagues.

Africa needs to match this kind of development. Again, it's just my 2 cents.
...since you are one of the ogas dem dey listen to on this forum, albeit a foreign oyinbo oga, I wish they take the abo in a serious consideration.
I don talk many many times, dem no like because na black man talk am, a Nigerian wey no dey smooze with them :sad:



Cal, it's not black vs white. Not that I want to get into this kind of debate, but if we do...dig deep...and you'll find it has nothing to do with white vs black coaches and players. Let alone comments by internet pundits like ourselves.

I think if Africa expedites socioeconomic development, sports will follow. Especially football.

_________________
Pax Americana...Wither Now?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:33 pm
Posts: 15367
felarey wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
This swhyit is hard to beat a south American team at the WC. Skills, dem get. clinical finishing, dem get. Game sense, dem get am boku.

I think the S. American game sense comes from watching a lot of NBA, NFL, MLB. Sports that are all about game sense beyond tactics. Had we an NBA coach, in the last 20 mins against Argentina, he would have atleast made a sub to kill the tempo especially after the first scare (missed chance). Can't remember who got fouled (Etebo or Idowu), one of them got fouled and immediately got up to go harass the argie instead of staying down so his teammates can pick up a bottle of water or something. The players also need to up their game management. Rohr would make a terrible basketball coach, no doubt about it! Won't beat a college team with an NBA team.


I still think this is an extreme statement. Nigeria went to the wire in a tough group. 1 goal would have sealed it, with but a draw, in the end.

It's a game of tight margins. Just like with Senegal, I think it came down to having enough quality offensive players. Who can take their chances.

Remember that miss on the disputed penalty call vs Argentina? It reminded me a bit of opportunity Rebic score for Croatia. Could have been a volley goal. The game often hangs on such opportunities.

_________________
Pax Americana...Wither Now?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:02 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:55 pm
Posts: 44023
Mbye Niang doesn't have a lot of sense

marutimon wrote:
mate wrote:
Colombia still had majority of possession, which to me is telling.


Dude, that was aimless possession in their own half. Senegal had less possession because they didn't play endless triangles.

The tactics were spot on. I would however criticize player selection. Mbaye Niang is not it. Cisse should have gone for proven goalscorers like Demba Ba or Moussa Sow, else go for players with a decent goalscoring record like Moussa Konate or Oumar Niasse.

Why is Mbaye Niang starting? He's scored 2 goals in like 14 games. Compare that to Niasse 3 in 9, Sow 19 in 50, Konate 10 in 29.

Mbaye Niang was Senegal's Ighalo. As in a non-scoring striker. He looked nice, but was so wasteful it hurts.

And also: That for me was a stonewall penalty.

_________________
Quote:
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:40 pm
Posts: 13090
mcal wrote:
...Senegal blew their chances.
In a match you need a draw does not mean play for draw, you go for a win.
Senegal, like many other African teams screwed up big time.
Wasted chances in the first half, plus the Colombian goal was not defended properly.
Did you all see Gana standing at "akimbo" on the goal post like he was unconcerned with proceeding?
Oh, well that's how the pendulum swings, we Africans still need a lot to learn (at national team level).
Over all I think the players on the field let their country down.



KPOM.

African teams are not good at playing for draws.

If you play for the win you may get a draw. But if you play for the draw, you will likely LOSE.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:04 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:16 am
Posts: 19680
Location: Canada
mate wrote:
felarey wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
This swhyit is hard to beat a south American team at the WC. Skills, dem get. clinical finishing, dem get. Game sense, dem get am boku.

I think the S. American game sense comes from watching a lot of NBA, NFL, MLB. Sports that are all about game sense beyond tactics. Had we an NBA coach, in the last 20 mins against Argentina, he would have atleast made a sub to kill the tempo especially after the first scare (missed chance). Can't remember who got fouled (Etebo or Idowu), one of them got fouled and immediately got up to go harass the argie instead of staying down so his teammates can pick up a bottle of water or something. The players also need to up their game management. Rohr would make a terrible basketball coach, no doubt about it! Won't beat a college team with an NBA team.


I still think this is an extreme statement. Nigeria went to the wire in a tough group. 1 goal would have sealed it, with but a draw, in the end.

It's a game of tight margins. Just like with Senegal, I think it came down to having enough quality offensive players. Who can take their chances.

Remember that miss on the disputed penalty call vs Argentina? It reminded me a bit of opportunity Rebic score for Croatia. Could have been a volley goal. The game often hangs on such opportunities.

It's not extreme, Rohr made changes at 45th and 90th minute. Between then, Sampaoli had made 3 changes. Either Rohr thought the changes didn't matter or his set game plan would withstand any changes. The Ighalo miss was a factor, no doubt but the lack of adjustment needs to be pointed out. Especially after it looked like the argie changes were working ala the clear chance they missed.

I'd still bet that no way Rohr beats a college team with an NBA team with his penchant for being a spectator. :taunt:

_________________
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:33 pm
Posts: 15367
Maybe.

I still think Nigeria was in a position to have tied Argentina. Up to the 85th minute, right? Argentine players forced an opportunity and finished it.

In my simple mind, this is the difference.

_________________
Pax Americana...Wither Now?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:13 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:09 pm
Posts: 29756
vancity eagle wrote:
mcal wrote:
...Senegal blew their chances.
In a match you need a draw does not mean play for draw, you go for a win.
Senegal, like many other African teams screwed up big time.
Wasted chances in the first half, plus the Colombian goal was not defended properly.
Did you all see Gana standing at "akimbo" on the goal post like he was unconcerned with proceeding?
Oh, well that's how the pendulum swings, we Africans still need a lot to learn (at national team level).
Over all I think the players on the field let their country down.



KPOM.

African teams are not good at playing for draws.

If you play for the win you may get a draw. But if you play for the draw, you will likely LOSE.

:agree:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:13 am
Posts: 2528
I don't think Senegal played for a draw.

But they messed up so many goalscoring opportunities... Senegal's tactics were fine, but the execution in the final third was lacking.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:53 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:09 pm
Posts: 29756
marutimon wrote:
I don't think Senegal played for a draw.

But they messed up so many goalscoring opportunities... Senegal's tactics were fine, but the execution in the final third was lacking.

They played for a draw in the second half before the Columbian goal


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: balo, Google [Bot], john12, Majestic-12 [Bot], Riche007 and 24 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group