I'm still stuck in a "what IF" mindset...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Chimex101
Egg
Egg
I'm still stuck in a "what IF" mindset...

Post by Chimex101 »

I definitely think we didn't take a COMPLETE team to Russia, same as in 2014. But unlike 2014 where we saw some really dodgy player selection, we were on a 60% index of satisfactory pass mark for 2018 based on team selection. Why did we waste valuable spots on the likes of Onazi, Echejilie, Joel Obi, Akpeyi who all didn't even get to smell action in the world cup, over the likes of the Nwakali's, Onyekuru( I understand he was fit at the time of the world cup build up),Awoniyi? Usman Muhammed? I could list about 5 stand out players from our Team B that played in the Athletico Madrid friendly(even the left back guy Uwem had far more ball sense than Idowu and Uwa combined) that definitely earned a call up!!!! my goodness we were about 5-6 players short on quality. I still have a mental re-run of our games in Russia, and in my head I keep imagining an alternate scenario where we lined up an attacking formation with Kelechi and Iwobi with a midfield of Etebo and Ndidi...then options like Usman muhammed, Chidiebere Nwakali on the bench, then Awoniyi and Nacho re-establishing a thrilling partnership from their U17 days, and all I can think of is entertaining football galore with the commentators going bonkers at the youngsters reeling out quality attacking football, Nigeria simply went to the world cup with an incomplete squad, and Rohr pretty much nailed our fate with his annoyingly slow and conservative tactics.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg
Re: I'm still stuck in a "what IF" mindset...

Post by Synopsis »

Hindsight is 20/20.
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Chimex101 wrote:I definitely think we didn't take a COMPLETE team to Russia, same as in 2014. But unlike 2014 where we saw some really dodgy player selection, we were on a 60% index of satisfactory pass mark for 2018 based on team selection. Why did we waste valuable spots on the likes of Onazi, Echejilie, Joel Obi, Akpeyi who all didn't even get to smell action in the world cup, over the likes of the Nwakali's, Onyekuru( I understand he was fit at the time of the world cup build up),Awoniyi? Usman Muhammed? I could list about 5 stand out players from our Team B that played in the Athletico Madrid friendly(even the left back guy Uwem had far more ball sense than Idowu and Uwa combined) that definitely earned a call up!!!! my goodness we were about 5-6 players short on quality. I still have a mental re-run of our games in Russia, and in my head I keep imagining an alternate scenario where we lined up an attacking formation with Kelechi and Iwobi with a midfield of Etebo and Ndidi...then options like Usman muhammed, Chidiebere Nwakali on the bench, then Awoniyi and Nacho re-establishing a thrilling partnership from their U17 days, and all I can think of is entertaining football galore with the commentators going bonkers at the youngsters reeling out quality attacking football, Nigeria simply went to the world cup with an incomplete squad, and Rohr pretty much nailed our fate with his annoyingly slow and conservative tactics.
Now, you make it worse...
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Iheanacho's interception. What if he managed to pull a stinging shot or dribble the last defender.

Ndidi had laid a through pass behind the defender or to the wide forward instead of shooting quickly. Or if his shot was not straight and high.
Ighalo volley should be on target
Ighalo one on one with the goalie should have scored.
Etebo free kick almost went in.
Moses tracked Rojo before he scored.