ROHR IS STAYING - Pinnick

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Flex Swift
Egg
Egg
Re: ROHR IS STAYING - Pinnick

Post by Flex Swift »

I don’t feel as bad over our exit as maybe some here because I knew like of lots us that we had serious limitations upfront. Again the way the cards were dealt were not in our favour were 9ja place in the group England were handed we would have qualified. At the last World Cup the cards dealt meant we were placed in a relatively easy group and winning only one game drawing the other and losing to Argentina made us qualify with very poor team. Once the team faced quality opposition they were out. This time a round the card dealt place us in a very strong group and we were like a boxer going into a fight with the ability to punch. If Ighalo is leading the attack you are only deceiving yourself if you think 9ja could beat quality opposition.

Even with the attacking deficiency 9ja was still able to match Argentina. The missing pieces I think is a clinicial striker and a more mobile creative midfield. Nididi and Mikel are great @ sitting in front of the back four however the transition from midfield to attack often was too slow and unimaginative to breakdown stubborn defences.

Personally I was one that advocated for Oliseh and his reign turned out to be a nightmare. We never had a moment peace when he was incharge it was akin to Trump in office. While SS has no idea how to manage men and his teams tend to be unbalance with far too many attacking players with no attention paid toward defence. When 9ja lost in the finals at the Olympics to Argentina SS still hasn’t explained why he dropped Obasi from the starting line-up. Also the fascination with Isaac Success a big time wastepipe. We need to think hard before choosing another coach
Godfather
Egg
Egg

Post by Godfather »

Rawlings wrote:I wonder what would have happened if he was a local coach :wink:
In as much as I like the idea of continuity and as such does not support firing the coach, you have also raised a valid point. If it was Siasia, Oliseh or Keshi, it would have been a different case even to some of these clowns posting here.
“Achebe was a writer in whose company the Prison walls fell down.” – Dr. Nelson Mandela.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Goldleaf wrote:Anyone calling for the dismissal of Gernot Rohr is regressive and wants us to spoil all the good work done so far. Rohr took on the job after back to back AFCON failures and built a team that not only qualified from a group of death in Africa but missed qualification from another group of death in Russia by minutes.

Amaju Pinnick has elevated NFF's organisation and Rohr has done the same to the SE. Thanks to Rohr, our players will once again be sought by top clubs. I am particularly keen to see where Uzoho lands. It took Westerhof 5 years to build a world class team and Rohr is only already 2 years into the job. The pressure and critical feedback that Rohr received so far will hopefully now help him to excel in the next AFCON.

Gernot Rohr MUST stay!
People calling for his removal have good reasons the same way those who want him to stay have good reasons. Rohr is not the only alternative. He did not make it to the second round so it is only natural that people will call for his head.
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

Goldleaf wrote:Anyone calling for the dismissal of Gernot Rohr is regressive and wants us to spoil all the good work done so far. Rohr took on the job after back to back AFCON failures and built a team that not only qualified from a group of death in Africa but missed qualification from another group of death in Russia by minutes.

Amaju Pinnick has elevated NFF's organisation and Rohr has done the same to the SE. Thanks to Rohr, our players will once again be sought by top clubs. I am particularly keen to see where Uzoho lands. It took Westerhof 5 years to build a world class team and Rohr is only already 2 years into the job. The pressure and critical feedback that Rohr received so far will hopefully now help him to excel in the next AFCON.

Gernot Rohr MUST stay!
The dangerous, and fatal assumption you made is Gohr's willingness to accept feedback. Over a series of friendlies, and during the world cup, he stuck to one approach despite negative results. Look at his in-game management approach with the use of subs. Does it look like someone who understands, appreciates and digests critical feedback? Of what use is your so-called organizational acumen when cracks appears in your supposed area of expertise, yet you engage in wishful thinking instead of exercising your options.

The overlooked issue is the context, and understanding between him and Pinnick that brought him into the Nigerian team. Rohr was confident that even with 3 losses he would still be the coach! The excuses were already lined up!! Pinnick's only-foreign-coaches-will-do mantra has brought us to to this stage.

For those in support of this move, would you be kind enough to get and publicly publish the post-match technical report issued by the coach/NFF for this debacle. Get ready for the excuses.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

We lack creative midfielders and quick defenders. Iheanacho is a good striker.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

I think the best approach would be 2 place a Nigeria coach to work with Rohr and and also get them embedded with Real Madrid and Barcelona for a few months so that they can embrace the attacking football philosophy.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

chief nfachairman wrote:All you enemies of destabilization, i hope you would all go to sleep. This man has brought proper organization to the team. He is only just building. Haven't you noticed that Europeans like to take time to build their team unlike we Africans that go for short term approach. The closest to organization that we've had in the SE was Amodu and before that, Lagerback. SE is no longer a team just anyone can walk into. Its not a team of HEy yous. ROhr has made players want to play the best for their clubs. Didnt you all notice how they all started running to other teams on loan so they can get playing time? Before, players woudl just sit on the bench, collect money, get fat and know they would still get called up to the SE.

We just need ROhr to be backed up by a young, attack minded Nigerian coach that would take over from ROhr in 2yrs or after the 2022 WC.

Rohr stays as Super Eagles coach: NFF

http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2018/06/29/r ... coach-nff/

Gernot Rohr will stay on as Super Eagles coach despite wide-spread criticisms following the country’s early ouster from the World Cup in Russia, the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) have said.

Rohr has been knocked for not managing the crucial group game against Argentina for the Eagles to exit the tournament in the first round.

However, NFF president Amaju Pinnick has maintained Rohr has a new two-year contract and it will be honoured.

“I am not one of those who is asking for the coach to go,” Pinnick said.

“He has a new two-year contract and we will respect it.

“He has a young team who he will build on with the likes of Henry Onyekuru, Victor Osimhim, Kelechi Nwakali, Usman Mohammed and Junior Lokosa all now set to join this team.”

Rohr qualified Nigeria to Russia 2018, but the team failed to go past the group stage of the championship.

In September, Nigeria will resume the qualifying tournament for next year’s AFCON in Cameroon after they lost their opening game 2-0 to South Africa in Uyo in June 2017.
As an EOP, this is just a business decision.

He has NOT EARNED the right to be retained. They would not have been this magnanimous with a local coach.

What the NFF should have done is to have a technical committee look at his games from the first one to the last one to see if there are improvements on the team before rushing to say he is staying. Also look at his reluctance to add personnel. Like I stated elsewhere, NFF should force him to work with them to help our players who need national team callups to improve their chances of getting work permit. This is assuming they are serious about preparing for 2022. As a matter of priority, they should have an ex international (not goalie) be a part of the coaching staff.

Although, I think that this narrative of using the World Cup to prepare for the next one is a faulty one. We tried this ish in 2002 and we didn't qualify for 2006. If the plan all along was to build for 2022 then we should have dropped players on the North of 26 and maybe treat the Eagles as an Olympic squad and have 3 overage players. I am a fan of a very unpopular policy that I think we should have in place, we should mandate that 4-6 local league players be invited to camp anytime the Eagles are playing. We have to keep encouraging our local league players...

Finally, what I would like to see is for Mr. Pinnick to be the President of Naijarian Football Federation and not just the President of the Super Eagles.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Damunk wrote:
akamoke wrote:Fine, but we cannot be conservative in our football please, Im still struggling to forgive Rohr for being too defensive against Argentina when they were there for the kill, it shows how bad we are when we cannot even beat a weak Argentina, they own us like a slave
Ugh! The memory kills me every time. :cry:

But I am also aware that had he made those same changes much earlier and the outcome was the same, we would still blame him for making "unnecessary changes" when we were "holding out".

You know our people nah.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. :idea:
Nobody will EVER blame him for making early changes.

Even in his first game and until this last game against Argentina, he was SLOW with subs. That has ALWAYS been his thing.

The loss to Argentina was all on him. He let his team down.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Dr. Sabinus Okoro Phd
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dr. Sabinus Okoro Phd »

john12 wrote:The fact that Rohr kept on saying “we’re a young team” to the press dosent mean that’s what he told our players in the dressing room. Best believe that he told them that they can beat anyone/everyone unfortunately, we lost to a better QUALITY team. I wish rohr can resign so Nigerians will be taught a big lesson we need to go back to the era of oliseh and Siasia unappreciative gots
Yeah I guess the players don't listen to the news, once they come out of the dressing room they close their ears.
An ignorant mind abhors knowledge.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:All you enemies of destabilization, i hope you would all go to sleep. This man has brought proper organization to the team. He is only just building. Haven't you noticed that Europeans like to take time to build their team unlike we Africans that go for short term approach. The closest to organization that we've had in the SE was Amodu and before that, Lagerback. SE is no longer a team just anyone can walk into. Its not a team of HEy yous. ROhr has made players want to play the best for their clubs. Didnt you all notice how they all started running to other teams on loan so they can get playing time? Before, players woudl just sit on the bench, collect money, get fat and know they would still get called up to the SE.

We just need ROhr to be backed up by a young, attack minded Nigerian coach that would take over from ROhr in 2yrs or after the 2022 WC.

Gernot Rohr will stay on as Super Eagles coach despite wide-spread criticisms following the country’s early ouster from the World Cup in Russia, the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) have said.

Rohr has been knocked for not managing the crucial group game against Argentina for the Eagles to exit the tournament in the first round.

However, NFF president Amaju Pinnick has maintained Rohr has a new two-year contract and it will be honoured.

“He has a young team who he will build on with the likes of Henry Onyekuru, Victor Osimhim, Kelechi Nwakali, Usman Mohammed and Junior Lokosa all now set to join this team.”

Rohr qualified Nigeria to Russia 2018, but the team failed to go past the group stage of the championship.

In September, Nigeria will resume the qualifying tournament for next year’s AFCON in Cameroon after they lost their opening game 2-0 to South Africa in Uyo in June 2017.

He has NOT EARNED the right to be retained. They would not have been this magnanimous with a local coach.

What the NFF should have done is to have a technical committee look at his games from the first one to the last one to see if there's improvement. Also look at his reluctance to add personnel. Like I stated elsewhere, NFF should force him to work with them to help our players who need national team callups to improve their chances of getting work permit. This is assuming they are serious about preparing for 2022. As a matter of priority, they should have an ex international (not goalie) be a part of the coaching staff.

Although, I think that this narrative of using the World Cup to prepare for the next one is a faulty one. We tried this ish in 2002 and we didn't qualify for 2006. If the plan all along was to build for 2022 then we should have dropped players on the North of 26 and maybe treat the Eagles as an Olympic squad and have 3 overage players. I am a fan of a very unpopular policy that I think we should have in place, we should mandate that 4-6 local league players be invited to camp anytime the Eagles are playing. We have to keep encouraging our local league players...

Finally, what I would like to see is for Mr. Pinnick to be the President of Naijarian Football Federation and not just the President of the Super Eagles.
Not diff from england; no?
worked for germany in 2012; no?

Nothing wrong with using a tournament to build experience..

Best way to encourage local league players is to make serious reforms to the league and build local coaching capacity.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Dr. Sabinus Okoro Phd
Eaglet
Eaglet

His arse would be out of a job by now that's what.
Dr. Sabinus Okoro Phd
Eaglet
Eaglet

Flex Swift wrote:I think the best approach would be 2 place a Nigeria coach to work with Rohr and and also get them embedded with Real Madrid and Barcelona for a few months so that they can embrace the attacking football philosophy.
Rubbish. You hire a mediocre and then get him an assistant to do the job, what exactly are you paying for?
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote:
Cellular wrote:

What the NFF should have done is to have a technical committee look at his games from the first one to the last one to see if there's improvement. Also look at his reluctance to add personnel. Like I stated elsewhere, NFF should force him to work with them to help our players who need national team callups to improve their chances of getting work permit. This is assuming they are serious about preparing for 2022. As a matter of priority, they should have an ex international (not goalie) be a part of the coaching staff.

Best way to encourage local league players is to make serious reforms to the league and build local coaching capacity.
What happened in 2012 with Germany? What World Cup was played that year?

Which World Cup did England use to build this their current team? Don't they have like only 6 or so players who played in the last World Cup in the current squad?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbs: :thumb:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

aruako1 wrote:So when one questions the performance and continued stay of a coach who delivered a worse WC performance than 4 years ago the person is an enemy, crook or agent? While I don't mind him staying we should be clear- this was a poor result for this team - he needs to get that attacking swagger back to the SE. I do not blame those who want him gone. That is the beauty of diversity of opinion. I am not loyal to any one coach (only to the SE) which is why I was in Russia in the middle of a house move and during my company's busy quarter end. Good on Pinnick for standing by his man but he cannot escape scrutiny for a poor performance.

:clap: :clap: and thats how it should be. Swapping coaches every single tournament is NOT in the best interest of the SE. The defensive foundation has been built, the attacking part MUST be the next phase.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Gernot Rohr MUST stay!
Well said.

ogiso
Egg
Egg

Post by ogiso »

The truth is I have never been in support of the continuous sacking of coaches. Rarely has it done us any good. Most times we are so trigger happy that we never give anyone time to bear good fruit. The only times I was glad to see SE coaches go were 1. Lagerback - because he was a flagrant mercenary, and 2. Oliseh - because of his temperament. Most others including Chukwu, Eguavoen and even Onigbinde I thought should have been allowed to carry on. For once I think we should try another way. Let us see a man left at the helm for more than two seconds - than at least we can say we tried.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Godfather wrote:
In as much as I like the idea of continuity and as such does not support firing the coach, you have also raised a valid point. If it was Siasia, Oliseh or Keshi, it would have been a different case even to some of these clowns posting here.
You are basing everything you say on history.
At some point history becomes irrelevant to the present situation, so why not now?

I think we are generally agreed that Pinnick has slowly proven to be a breath of fresh air.
Then it is reasonable to consider the possibility that he would equally have taken this same approach if a local coach had shown the same qualities he admires in Rohr.

You can't keep predicting the future based on a bad past orchestrated by bad people.
At some point you have to "have confidence in the victory of good over evil'', or else you will die miserably. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

ogiso wrote:The truth is I have never been in support of the continuous sacking of coaches. Rarely has it done us any good. Most times we are so trigger happy that we never give anyone time to bear good fruit. The only times I was glad to see SE coaches go were 1. Lagerback - because he was a flagrant mercenary, and 2. Oliseh - because of his temperament. Most others including Chukwu, Eguavoen and even Onigbinde I thought should have been allowed to carry on. For once I think we should try another way. Let us see a man left at the helm for more than two seconds - than at least we can say we tried.
Well said. :thumb:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Dr. Sabinus Okoro Phd wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:I think the best approach would be 2 place a Nigeria coach to work with Rohr and and also get them embedded with Real Madrid and Barcelona for a few months so that they can embrace the attacking football philosophy.
Rubbish. You hire a mediocre and then get him an assistant to do the job, what exactly are you paying for?
The idea is to groom the assistant to take over from Rohr learnt his European contacts on how to get grade A friendlies rather that play Ghana and Jamicia over and over
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote:
txj wrote:
Cellular wrote:

What happened in 2012 with Germany? What World Cup was played that year?

Sorry, I meant 2010 in SA, which laid the foundation for the title in 2014.

Which World Cup did England use to build this their current team? Don't they have like only 6 or so players who played in the last World Cup in the current squad?

They are using this current squad to build experience as Southgate has repeatedly stated. It doesn't matter that they have some experienced players in there; that's what you are supposed to do when you have a young squad...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Cellular wrote:

What the NFF should have done is to have a technical committee look at his games from the first one to the last one to see if there are improvements on the team before rushing to say he is staying. Also look at his reluctance to add personnel. Like I stated elsewhere, NFF should force him to work with them to help our players who need national team callups to improve their chances of getting work permit. This is assuming they are serious about preparing for 2022. As a matter of priority, they should have an ex international (not goalie) be a part of the coaching staff.

Bro,
Let's analyse our coaches since 2010.

Nigeria Shaibu Amodu (2008–2010) - Was unjustly fired after qualifying NIgeria for the World cup. Though he had a poor outing with in the 2010 ANC and he's team looked totally disorganized. He should have been kept till after the world cup but public opinion was that he was not suitable for the big stage. Was his firing Just?
Sweden Lars Lagerbäck (2010) - He's team showed alot of organization, coordination but alas, the Aiyegbemi's of this world could not score simple goals that my grand mother would tap in. He Left after chopping our money!
Nigeria Samson Siasia (2010–2011) - Could not qualify Nigeria for ordinary ANC. Justly FIRED!!!!
Nigeria Stephen Keshi (2011–2015) - Lasted for about 4years. Said he was rebuilding the team. His rebuilt team won the ANC, qualified NIgeria for the world cup and got to the second round of the world cup. Was not retained due to shambolic play, a squad filled with Uchebos. After the world cup, he wanted to rebuild the rebuilt team. Was he justly fired for a younger Oliseh?
Nigeria Sunday Oliseh (2015–2016) - Ran away himself after getting the job on a platter of gold from Pinnick
Nigeria Samson Siasia (2016) - Was given a short term job to salvage Oliseh's mess, alas he failed to qualify us for the ANC!!! JUSTLY NOT RETAINED!
Germany Gernot Rohr (2016 - 2018) - Qualified Nigeria for the world cup with only one match to go (only major qualification tournament), had a very organized and compact team, selected the MOST inform Nigerian players, built team chemistry. HIs team did not qualify for the 2nd round of the world cup. He's contract extend for 2yrs.

As for Onigbinde, Eguavon and CCC, we all agree they were pretty useless.
Last edited by chief nfachairman on Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

He is basically finished as coach of Nigeria. It wasn't that we lost. It is the way Nigeria lost that upsets me. Pinnick is fooling himself if he thinks Rohr has a future with Nigeria.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx