ROHR IS STAYING - Pinnick

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

01bakana
Egg
Egg
Re: ROHR IS STAYING - Pinnick

Post by 01bakana »

This is a tricky one, at least for me. My gut feeling is that for once despite our disappointments and doubts about Rorh’s ability we stick with him. I feel a major part of his failure at the WC was his mis/understanding of the Naija mindset, his Naija education is incomplete. He has yet to understand that we are not a timid bunch!!! Our dynamism is sometimes our downfall but most times it’s our best face. This is a big learning experience and I feel sacking him will just be a bloody waste. However if we do insist on repeating history, then for the sake of continuity give the job to his assistant Salisu who I think is a good coach.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Waffiman wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
zee wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:Just got back from Russia this afternoon after spending time in Volgograd, St. Petersburg and Moscow...

Been reading posts here and keeping my counsel. When I have a bit more time I'll write in full - in short, I'm very disappointed (though not entirely surprised) with Rohr...
Welcome back and thank God for journey mercies. :thumbs:
Thanks bro!

I had a really good time there. Met a load of Nigerians coming from the US, Europe, Nigeria and the Middle East and all were in good spirits before the Iceland game. I found Russians to be friendly in all the places we visited. No regrets about going.
Welcome back bro. Thanks to the Lord for journeys mercies.

Damn! I am still filled with disappointment because I feel we wasted an opportunity in this WC. I get this feeling you are the same.

I only stick my neck out for winners. There hundreds of millions of Coaches out there, only a handful are winners. It is why I defended Keshi, like I defended Wenger. Rohr has not won a thing, his position should be at least open to review.

But the bottom line is Pinnick got interests outside of the Sports ministry and the NFF to pay the Coach's salary. They now call the tune.

These interests and their players came first at the WC. Those who turned down Pinnick when he needed money were not given a look in when they tried to gate crash the WC party by sponsoring players.

These same interests, have agreed to continue paying the Rohr. Let's be brutality honest, he who pays the piper calls the tune.
So in conclusion, our future football development and elusive success at international level is bound up in dodgy contractual conditions in a system that guarantees exposure of certain players agreed before hand.

How on earth is this arrangement even good for Nigerian football? We should just kukuma commit Nigeria's footballing success to mother earth. No need to waste emotions.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

cchinukw wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
zee wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:Just got back from Russia this afternoon after spending time in Volgograd, St. Petersburg and Moscow...

Been reading posts here and keeping my counsel. When I have a bit more time I'll write in full - in short, I'm very disappointed (though not entirely surprised) with Rohr...
Welcome back and thank God for journey mercies. :thumbs:
Thanks bro!

I had a really good time there. Met a load of Nigerians coming from the US, Europe, Nigeria and the Middle East and all were in good spirits before the Iceland game. I found Russians to be friendly in all the places we visited. No regrets about going.
Welcome back bro. Thanks to the Lord for journeys mercies.

Damn! I am still filled with disappointment because I feel we wasted an opportunity in this WC. I get this feeling you are the same.

I only stick my neck out for winners. There hundreds of millions of Coaches out there, only a handful are winners. It is why I defended Keshi, like I defended Wenger. Rohr has not won a thing, his position should be at least open to review.

But the bottom line is Pinnick got interests outside of the Sports ministry and the NFF to pay the Coach's salary. They now call the tune.

These interests and their players came first at the WC. Those who turned down Pinnick when he needed money were not given a look in when they tried to gate crash the WC party by sponsoring players.

These same interests, have agreed to continue paying the Rohr. Let's be brutality honest, he who pays the piper calls the tune.
So in conclusion, our future football development and elusive success at international level is bound up in dodgy contractual conditions in a system that guarantees exposure of certain players agreed before hand.

How on earth is this arrangement even good for Nigerian football? We should just kukuma commit Nigeria's footballing success to mother earth. No need to waste emotions.
He who pays the piper calls the tune.

If I am a company, and the NFF approaches me to help pay for their Coach. It is not charity, I expect a return for whatever money I put in.

I will not seat back after investing in the salary of the Coach before the WC and allow my competitors benefit from my investment during the WC. Consequently, the players I sponsor, must get the most play and air time.

This is the downside of allowing the type of investments we have in paying our Coach salary.

It is one thing demanding a Coach, it is another paying for the Coach. We have seen the major problems with paying Coaches, be they IC or FC, via the Sports ministry and the NFF. So we are left with this situation where those who are willing to pay for the Coach make demands which must be met for their money.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

01bakana wrote:This is a tricky one, at least for me. My gut feeling is that for once despite our disappointments and doubts about Rorh’s ability we stick with him. I feel a major part of his failure at the WC was his mis/understanding of the Naija mindset, his Naija education is incomplete. He has yet to understand that we are not a timid bunch!!! Our dynamism is sometimes our downfall but most times it’s our best face. This is a big learning experience and I feel sacking him will just be a bloody waste. However if we do insist on repeating history, then for the sake of continuity give the job to his assistant Salisu who I think is a good coach.
I'm also on the fence with this one.

Reasons why I want Rohr off:
1) Better man selection - overall Rohr did well, but he needs to be able to adjust quicker when he sees his players are off form. For months now it has been obvious Ighalo is no longer good enough to be our first choice striker or even to go to Russia. Obviously there isn't much to choose from, but Rohr needed to be brave here - start Iheanacho and if he doesn't perform risk it with Simmy, Sadiq Umar or even the likes of Osimhen, Success, Awoniyi. He also failed to react quick enough to the quality of players like Ebeuhi.

2) Invest in local coaches - I think we really need to move towards a local coach policy. Maybe if Salisu and Rohr were on equal standing?

3) Too timid / slow reactions - On the one hand he did make changes, but was way to slow to react to what his opposing coaches introduced on the field. It was evident vs Croatia (why did we not change to 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 in that game?) as well as vs Argentina (no reaction in the last 15 minutes when Nigeria was tiring in midfield and defence).

---

Why he should stay?
1) Good man management.
2) Flexible and seems to be learning (even if too slowly).
3) Set up the defence nicely.
4) Overall good player selection (not influenced by agents).

I put most of the blame for this year's failure on Rohr. But at the same time a lot of what was achieved was thanks to him.
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

wanaj0 wrote:Of course it may make sense to you to reward failure on the basis of continuity! Continuity to where? It was continuity that made NFF not to sack him when he lost at home to RSA. Now he went to the WC and failed again and the excuse I am hearing is 'continuity'. When will this 'continuity' excuse end? At what point will we say enough is enough? When will it be right to take action? When will it be right to sack Rohr? Why must we continue with failure? While success is NOT guarantee BUT failure is guaranteed when you accept and reward failure. Same way Arsenal was 'continuing' with Wenger for years rewarding failure with new contracts.

I will rather spend time and money on 'continuity' with a local coach than with a foreign one. It is part of 'local' investment. An EXPAT cannot be learning on the job.

What was WRONG in the sacking of Amodu and co was that they were sacked while succeeding. We did not wait for them to FAIL before sacking them. This time around, we should sack Rohr for failing! Please don't confuse the two situations. Any non performer should be relieved of his position (local or foreign). Continuity should not be an excuse for rewarding failure. This is like the 'automatic promotion' principle. Just get promoted to the next class because of continuity even though you failed the exam 'excellently'.

Coaching is RESULT oriented. You either deliver or you dont. All the T shirts, massage etc deliverables are totally immaterial. The result is seen on the field.
I can't get tired of applauding commonsense & wise posts.....thank you once more. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Rubbish.
Siasia was barely 11 months in office and after his failure to qualify us for ANC 2012, he was sacked one time. He was building a new exciting team which we acknowledged was more to our 'Nigerian style', but he was gone in an instant. He hadn't even lost a single game at the time! Did that make sense to you?
(Actually, I shouldn't ask. It did make perfect sense to you and the proof is right here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=205136 )

Of course it does, because the job is 'result-oriented" and we are an instant gratification society. Nothing else matters. Results, results, results...now, now, now.

You want to adopt the methods of the Germanys and Spains and Brazils of this world that have well-oiled football institutions working optimally. They can afford to provide everything their coaches and players need in an instant, and with their pedigree built over decades, they can afford to sack simply for "poor results".

But even they don't do it with the frequency and profligacy that Nigeria does. We have nothing close to their resources (human and material), their organization or their standing structures yet we are aping their 'result-orientated' terms and conditions of employment. :lol:

Don't worry nah, Nigeria will eventually have 30 coaches in 30 years, then 40 in 40 and you'll still expect to get your instant results.
And if you don't...you sack again! :clap:
wanaj0 wrote:Of course it may make sense to you to reward failure on the basis of continuity! Continuity to where? It was continuity that made NFF not to sack him when he lost at home to RSA. Now he went to the WC and failed again and the excuse I am hearing is 'continuity'. When will this 'continuity' excuse end? At what point will we say enough is enough? When will it be right to take action? When will it be right to sack Rohr? Why must we continue with failure? While success is NOT guarantee BUT failure is guaranteed when you accept and reward failure. Same way Arsenal was 'continuing' with Wenger for years rewarding failure with new contracts.

I will rather spend time and money on 'continuity' with a local coach than with a foreign one. It is part of 'local' investment. An EXPAT cannot be learning on the job.

What was WRONG in the sacking of Amodu and co was that they were sacked while succeeding. We did not wait for them to FAIL before sacking them. This time around, we should sack Rohr for failing! Please don't confuse the two situations. Any non performer should be relieved of his position (local or foreign). Continuity should not be an excuse for rewarding failure. This is like the 'automatic promotion' principle. Just get promoted to the next class because of continuity even though you failed the exam 'excellently'.

Coaching is RESULT oriented. You either deliver or you dont. All the T shirts, massage etc deliverables are totally immaterial. The result is seen on the field.
Damunk wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
green4life wrote:
Goldleaf wrote:Anyone calling for the dismissal of Gernot Rohr is regressive and wants us to spoil all the good work done so far. Rohr took on the job after back to back AFCON failures and built a team that not only qualified from a group of death in Africa but missed qualification from another group of death in Russia by minutes.

Amaju Pinnick has elevated NFF's organisation and Rohr has done the same to the SE. Thanks to Rohr, our players will once again be sought by top clubs. I am particularly keen to see where Uzoho lands. It took Westerhof 5 years to build a world class team and Rohr is only already 2 years into the job. The pressure and critical feedback that Rohr received so far will hopefully now help him to excel in the next AFCON.

Gernot Rohr MUST stay!
Nothing more to add. :agree:
BUT you will not give a LOCAL coach 5 years to build a team! You roll out the carpet, paid salaries in advance just for a first round exit. Yet we crucify those that with little or no support got to the 2nd round.
Your logic here is faulty.
Very faulty.
What you are essentially saying is that because we consistently made some boneheaded decisions in the past, mostly with local coaches, we should stick with such stupidity in the name of fairness; and if we don't we are discriminating against our local coaches which is not right.
Sorry, what kind of logic is that?

IF YOU KNOW that giving a coach time and a fair shot is THE RIGHT THING TO DO, why not just do it rather than argue that we have never given our local coaches the support we are now giving Rohr and therefore we should sack him for poor results?

The only reason why I kinda 'get' this logic is because it is the kind of argument I am used to hearing from my very peculiar Naija people. :rotf:
IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!

Pinnick is reforming the NFF. We know that.
We are beginning to see the results of a very slow, painful yet essential modernization process. Part of that process requires BUILDING a team, its supporting structures, relationships, confidence. We have been fokking about for 20 freaking years - sacking, sabotaging, stealing, yet you want us to continue with aspects of that culture by using it as a reference point just for the sake of 'continuity'?
Huh? :shock:

Guy, when you clear out your stables, some things have to change and that includes some of the stupidity of the past. If we fokked up our local coaches in the past, didn't give them support, didn't give them time, didn't pay their salaries.....that is part of the rubbish and nonsense that needs to STOP. We can't use that to justify why we need to continue in the same vein - all in the name of what?
'Fairness'? 'Racial equality'? :lol: :lol: :lol:

wanaj0 wrote:Why must we reward FAILURE and punish SUCCESS. Same way people were defending Berti Vogts etc. If Rohr is so good, let him go and coach Germany! 'Nigeria' should not be the one to pay his pension windfall

Onigbinde also 'discovered' Eyeama but he was sacked for POOR result.

Amodu was not allowed to even lose friendlies or it will be war!

Keshi's sack letter was already waiting even before the end of the WC! Rohr is having a pressure free job and rewarded handsomely for failure. Is this because of the colour of his skin???
More of the same!
Were those decisions sensible in any way to you? Have you forgotten how many people argued against the sacking of these local coaches, but lost out? Even Oliseh, despite everything. I am and always have been a loud advocate of local coaches (check the records) but was on the losing side of the latest debate and I am now looking at who is on ground for my beloved team. All I want is the best so its not a racial thing for me or most others.. You are reading a racial bias into a progressive decision and it is sounding like reverse racism, albeit inadvertent.

Isn't this knee-jerk reaction the reason why we have the unenviable world record of 20 coaches in 20 years - because we can be so impulsive, impatient, incompetent and even imbecilic in our decision making, not to mention dishonest?

These historical NFA/NFF shortcomings are NOT in dispute, as the records speak for themselves. Yet your argument is a 'what is bad for the goose is good for the gander' argument.
Unfortunately, for years we shamelessly fed the goose very bad food and now you are arguing that it should continue in the name of fairness, continuity and...... 'racial equality'.
Incredible. :shock:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

01bakana wrote:This is a tricky one, at least for me. My gut feeling is that for once despite our disappointments and doubts about Rorh’s ability we stick with him. I feel a major part of his failure at the WC was his mis/understanding of the Naija mindset, his Naija education is incomplete. He has yet to understand that we are not a timid bunch!!! Our dynamism is sometimes our downfall but most times it’s our best face. This is a big learning experience and I feel sacking him will just be a bloody waste. However if we do insist on repeating history, then for the sake of continuity give the job to his assistant Salisu who I think is a good coach.
I watched his CHAN performance. I don't think Salisu is good enough to do better than Rohr.

That will be a regressive move. The next coach must be better than Rohr.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Damunk wrote:Rubbish.
Siasia was barely 11 months in office and after his failure to qualify us for ANC 2012, he was sacked one time. He was building a new exciting team which we acknowledged was more to our 'Nigerian style', but he was gone in an instant. He hadn't even lost a single game at the time! Did that make sense to you?
It could be argued he messed up with his two draws, but it wasn't him that lost the Guinea game.

His record was 3 wins (including vs Argentina), 2 draws and a loss (Argentina), 15 scored and 8 conceeded.

Like Amodu never really given a chance, but was ditched at the first chance.
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

soccernut wrote:This is the same Rohr whose performance includes: (1) Playing Ighalo in five straight matches without a single goal to his name. (2) Knowledge of Ihenacho’s unfitness yet played him in a crucial match. (3) Taking Onazi and Joel Obi to the World Cup only to keep them on the bench because he suddenly realized how ineffective they were two weeks before the start of the tournament. (4) Taking Nwankwo, an in-form striker coming off a six -goal run in the Italian league to the World Cup, only to bench him!
(5) Refusing to play a creative midfielder (Iwobi), who had only recently scored two goals against Argentina in a friendly.
(6) Refusing to play Ebuehi against Argentina, whom he’d fought tooth and nail to secure from Holland, because he considered him to be an up- and- coming World Class defender - and one who also played a critical role in tight marking and transitioning our play from defense to the last third in the Iceland game, that eventually earned us a victory. (7) Standing idle and watching Sampaoli make critical changes in the last 20 minutes of the game by introducing two forwards and [Rohr] doing nothing to shore up his defense, especially the leaking right back position -- even when he still had two substitutes left in the game. (8) A coach that did not qualify us past the first round of WC even though we have made it into the second round on three separate occasions. (9) A coach that categorically stated all through the WC that our boys were there to learn for 2022 while 19 year old Mbappe was wreaking havoc and poised to light up the tourney. (10) A coach that has not won the AFCON, which our last WC coach did and still got canned! (11) A coach that had two (unhindered) years to scout the best of Nigerian talent available; yet left the likes of Onyekuru, Nwakali, and Lokosa out of his squad - only to end up with lack of depth, quality and a dearth of strikers at the WC…

Hmmm….

Those clamoring for Rhor to stay are the true enemies of SE. Simple and plain
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

9jaMan wrote:
soccernut wrote:This is the same Rohr whose performance includes: (1) Playing Ighalo in five straight matches without a single goal to his name. (2) Knowledge of Ihenacho’s unfitness yet played him in a crucial match. (3) Taking Onazi and Joel Obi to the World Cup only to keep them on the bench because he suddenly realized how ineffective they were two weeks before the start of the tournament. (4) Taking Nwankwo, an in-form striker coming off a six -goal run in the Italian league to the World Cup, only to bench him!
(5) Refusing to play a creative midfielder (Iwobi), who had only recently scored two goals against Argentina in a friendly.
(6) Refusing to play Ebuehi against Argentina, whom he’d fought tooth and nail to secure from Holland, because he considered him to be an up- and- coming World Class defender - and one who also played a critical role in tight marking and transitioning our play from defense to the last third in the Iceland game, that eventually earned us a victory. (7) Standing idle and watching Sampaoli make critical changes in the last 20 minutes of the game by introducing two forwards and [Rohr] doing nothing to shore up his defense, especially the leaking right back position -- even when he still had two substitutes left in the game. (8) A coach that did not qualify us past the first round of WC even though we have made it into the second round on three separate occasions. (9) A coach that categorically stated all through the WC that our boys were there to learn for 2022 while 19 year old Mbappe was wreaking havoc and poised to light up the tourney. (10) A coach that has not won the AFCON, which our last WC coach did and still got canned! (11) A coach that had two (unhindered) years to scout the best of Nigerian talent available; yet left the likes of Onyekuru, Nwakali, and Lokosa out of his squad - only to end up with lack of depth, quality and a dearth of strikers at the WC…

Hmmm….

Having a different opinion does not make anyone the enemy of anything.

We need to quit from this mentality of castigating those we do not agree with. I have an issue with retaining Rohr, but it does stop me from looking at the points put forward for his retention and understanding its respective merits.

The bottom line is, each side have their points and reasons, I respect all points of view and opinion. None of us are right or wrong on this matter, there just happens to be differences in opinion.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

marutimon wrote:
Damunk wrote:Rubbish.
It could be argued he messed up with his two draws, but it wasn't him that lost the Guinea game.

His record was 3 wins (including vs Argentina), 2 draws and a loss (Argentina), 15 scored and 8 conceeded.

Like Amodu never really given a chance, but was ditched at the first chance.
That's what I am talking about. Sebi they said it is exclusively "results-oriented"?
For a country that hasn't got its act together structurally, results are never going to be consistently great.
So what is going to happen? Its not rocket science.

Inconsistent results will mean sacking the coach after every bad run.
20 coaches in 20 years is the result.
And every single time, there will be 'justifiable' reasons trotted out in defence of the decision. :idea:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Waffiman wrote:
9jaMan wrote:

Hmmm….

Having a different opinion does not make anyone the enemy of anything.

We need to quit from this mentality of castigating those we do not agree with. I have an issue with retaining Rohr, but it does stop me from looking at the points put forward for his retention and understanding its respective merits.

The bottom line is, each side have their points and reasons, I respect all points of view and opinion. None of us are right or wrong on this matter, there just happens to be differences in opinion.
From all indications, 9jaman doesn't appear to have that level of insight.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

9jaMan wrote:

Hmmm….

Bros

I thought it is the other way round. If we have been hiring and firing after every poor tournament result and yet have not shown to be any better then advocating to continue with such hiring and firing has to be questioned.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Enugu II wrote:
9jaMan wrote:

Hmmm….

Bros

I thought it is the other way round. If we have been hiring and firing after every poor tournament result and yet have not shown to be any better then advocating to continue with such hiring and firing has to be questioned.

In Nigeria we never learn. Folks want to continue doing the same things and somehow we expect different results.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

You are right, we never learn. We reward mediocrity. Treat local coaches like thrash. I am a big fan of continuity. But if are not performing you have to go. The NFF should review the hiring process. Also review how they treat local coaches. How did he get the job the first place? Was he the 2nd choice? Was he the best option available?

Find a competent coach, don't care if it local and foreign. Give him a 5 year deal with performance goals. If he fails to meet the performance standards, he should be fired.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx