After Fra v Arg I understand Rohr's tactics

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enyi
Egg
Egg
Re: After Fra v Arg I understand Rohr's tactics

Post by Enyi »

ohenhen1 wrote:BTW I wonder what the Greeks were thinking at the Euros. When they had that run to win it. They probably said look at the quality on the other team. We can't win it. You need quality to achieve results. We are here to learn.
Same thing Russia were saying today.......look at the Spanish team...they even left Cesc Fabregas at home, their second team is better than our first team......

Let's just come here and learn....!!!! :curse: :curse: :curse:
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
mojojojo
Egg
Egg

Post by mojojojo »

ohenhen1 wrote:Russia a quality side into the Quarterfinals.

Absolutely. And they qualified using tactics similar to Rohr's.

The game between Russia and Spain was very similar to SE v Arg.

Russia conceded against a better team, then scored a penalty and needed a draw to stay alive.

Russia defended a draw and reaped the benefits at the end.

We were minutes away from qualifying too.
mutiman
Egg
Egg

Post by mutiman »

ohenhen1 wrote:BTW I wonder what the Greeks were thinking at the Euros. When they had that run to win it. They probably said look at the quality on the other team. We can't win it. You need quality to achieve results. We are here to learn.
The quality of players is very important for any team hoping to do well in any competition, but it is by no means the deciding factor. Teams like Greece and Denmark won the Euros not because they had the best players, but because they had a team ethos and defensive discipline that enabled them to overcome far more talented opponents.
The Eagles squad for this World Cup did not have a large pool of talent IMO but were also lacking in team ethos and defensive discipline, though they defended manfully at times. The goal conceded to Argentina was due to lackadaisical defending (on the part of Moses), as was the goal Senegal let in against Colombia where Gueye was the culprit. Contrast that with teams like Uruguay, France and Croatia where even supremely talented individuals fight for the cause as one, whether it's in defending, leaving or passing the ball to a teammate in a better to position to score.
Brazil would arguably have won more World Cups if talent was the deciding factor in determining winners.
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

mutiman wrote:
The quality of players is very important for any team hoping to do well in any competition, but it is by no means the deciding factor. Teams like Greece and Denmark won the Euros not because they had the best players, but because they had a team ethos and defensive discipline that enabled them to overcome far more talented opponents.
The Eagles squad for this World Cup did not have a large pool of talent IMO but were also lacking in team ethos and defensive discipline, though they defended manfully at times. The goal conceded to Argentina was due to lackadaisical defending (on the part of Moses), as was the goal Senegal let in against Colombia where Gueye was the culprit. Contrast that with teams like Uruguay, France and Croatia where even supremely talented individuals fight for the cause as one, whether it's in defending, leaving or passing the ball to a teammate in a better to position to score.
Brazil would arguably have won more World Cups if talent was the deciding factor in determining winners.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Argentina scored 1 against Iceland and hammered 3 against France.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
okuns
Egg
Egg

Post by okuns »

achuzia-the-air-raid wrote:Stupid football know-nothings making excuses for their oyibo master, yet would call for lynching of a local coach even if he won ANC and advanced to 2nd round.
tufiakwa
Thank you! How was Rojr better than Keshi... I would have preferred Siasia instead of Rohr. All these players were Siasia’s and would extract the most from them...
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

People are acting like Keshi was terminated after EC. Keshi took us to anc, CC Cup, World Cup, then failed to qualify for ANC before being terminated. He wasn’t sacked after WC so idk why people keep mentioning that 2014 WC.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

mojojojo wrote:Seeing Argentina put 3 goals pass France I understand Rohr's defensive tactics.

I remember seeing the goal to that DiMaria scored and thinking he would not have had that space against Nigeria.

France had a better defense and keeper than the SE and yet conceded 3 goals.

France was only able to win because they had a better attack.

We do not have Giroud, Mbappe or Greizmann. We cannot come back from 3 goals to score 4.
He chose the wrong personnel to execute his strategy.

Every fool knows you have to deal with crosses meant for DiMaria. That means the defenders on that side of the pitch need to be committed and pacy.

It reeks of gross ineptitude to put a sloppy, lazy Victor Moses to deal with a witty player like DiMaria when Ebuehi could have matched him for pace and guile.
Last edited by cchinukw on Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

My memory may be foggy. But I remember Keshi was fired because they accused him of interviewing for the Ivory coast job. SSS was then appointed to finish out the qualifiers. The team was already in trouble before SSS took over.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Abegi, Argentina threw caution to the wind and had virtually every player attacking our goal. They were caught napping twice, we should have buried them there and then. Iwobi was needed to provide midfield cover and stop the crosses and launch a quick counter-attack. Mr Oluku did neither.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Rohr has low self-esteem, simple.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Damunk wrote:
Orion wrote:When people say Rohr was a coward and that we should have gone on an all-out attack I just laugh. They act as if there is no price to pay for that kind of approach. Nothing is free at the World Cup! If you throw more players into attack then you sacrifice more at the back and midfield. In fact, the price you pay will be much HIGHER if overall your players are of lower calibre compared to the opposing team.

Now, if you desperately needed a result with just a few minutes left, an all-out approach is understandable but that's another story.
Precisely.
The reason why we had the Ighalo chances and Musa was tormenting their defense was because Argentina went all out to try and score and we were repelling them quite effectively, making them increasingly desperate.
Like we all know, if Ighalo had any quality we wouldn't be talking what we are talking now.
We'd be talking about our game with France yesterday.

Who's job was it to select a striker. Awoniyi would have done a better job.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Damunk wrote:
Orion wrote:When people say Rohr was a coward and that we should have gone on an all-out attack I just laugh. They act as if there is no price to pay for that kind of approach. Nothing is free at the World Cup! If you throw more players into attack then you sacrifice more at the back and midfield. In fact, the price you pay will be much HIGHER if overall your players are of lower calibre compared to the opposing team.

Now, if you desperately needed a result with just a few minutes left, an all-out approach is understandable but that's another story.
Precisely.
The reason why we had the Ighalo chances and Musa was tormenting their defense was because Argentina went all out to try and score and we were repelling them quite effectively, making them increasingly desperate.
Like we all know, if Ighalo had any quality we wouldn't be talking what we are talking now.

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

ANC wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Precisely.

The squad selector lack quality.
:mrgreen:
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

All I have to say is Argentina was there for the taking and we blew it, we had beaten them 8 months prior and could have built on that but we cowered in and started raping about quality. Rohr has had this team for 2yrs he should know them by now. Not getting to round of 16 was a failure and a step backwards. Face it, Rohr failed dismally

It still hurts that we can't seem to beat Argentina In WC, it is now a mental lapse. The Argies were worried prior to the game because despite their record, they still feared us, but we put the advantage back to them by not finishing them off, I and then you have Ighalo. The coach knows he shoots blanks but still relied on him

Nigeria is a seasoned World Cup campaigner, anyone telling you we are in the World Cup to learn is pulling wool over your eyes
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Gernot Rohr was a coward at this World Cup.
Nobody (even Gernot Rohr himself) will doubt the accuracy of that label.

His only saving grace is that in his 2-year sojourn in Nigeria, this was his first tournament experience and understanding of the fans' expectations. It's like some clubs in the EPL will still sack a manager that is reasonably successful but plays the kind of football that is hated by the fans.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I agree, we were not able to use the speed of Musa, Moses, and Ighalo to our advantage to test Argentina defensively. Also if Iwobi was introduced earlier with Ebuehi, they might have made a difference.
ohenhen1 wrote:No one is saying we shouldn't be organized defensively.

But Nigeria only managed to score 1 penalty against that weak Argentina defense. We were even lucky. Normally most referees don't call that foul in the box.

The coach is responsible for team selection and tactics. He has been on the job for 2 years. There is no excuse. He failed.

This excuse of lack of quality is starting to get annoying.

I look through the Nigerian team. I see quality players playing at quality clubs. Even Mikel Obi that plays in China, was really good once he was moved to a deeper role.

Iheanacho goals per game last year was the best in Europe. We have a good striker. Our problem is we lack a good coach and creative players. Ultimately the coach was responsible for team selection.

There is no excuse.