ROHR: TO STAY OR TO GO

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ROHR: TO STAY OR TO GO

Poll ended at Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:25 pm

Rohr Stays -
41%
Rohr Goes -
52%
Undecided -
7%

Total votes: 54

Enyi
Egg
Egg
Re: ROHR: TO STAY OR TO GO

Post by Enyi »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Here we go again. All we ever do is change coaches, all the new coach ever does is give us the same result we had before .Why do Nigerians hate the idea of BUILDING by staying with a plan ? We do it with everything, from road construction ,agriculture to football teams. Everybody wants to tear down whats been on going and start his own.

Abacha,OBJ,Babangida, GEJ and now Buhari all had plans. Today we have no power,water or security. What do we do if the new hire doesn't qualify for Afcon after we've thrown away Rohr's gains? Do we then find another one? We did miss 2 Afcons with the previous coaches. Remember that?
A building with faulty foundation or cheap building materials will not last. We have to hire a competent coach. Reward good performance with a pay raise and longer tenure.

you can reinforce the foundation and buy better material. Btw, the teams we lot to had much better foundations and material.Which coach will beat Modric with Etebo?
maybe the coach that narrowly lost to them on penalty with Pione Sisto
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Disclaimer this is from wiki. I don't know how accurate the information is.
Managerial career
In 1996, he managed Girondins Bordeaux to the UEFA Cup final, where they lost to Bayern Munich over two legs, 0–2 away and 1–3 at home.[4] Bordeaux's run to the final included a famous 3–0 win over AC Milan in the quarter-finals. From October 1998 until April 1999 he was sports director of Eintracht Frankfurt.

Rohr was fired by Étoile Sportive du Sahel following a third-place finish in the league, outside of the 2010 CAF Champions League places, on 15 May 2009.[5] On 9 June 2009, he was named as the new head coach of the Ligue 2 team FC Nantes, his contract running until 30 June 2011.[6] On 3 December 2009, he was fired by FC Nantes and replaced by Jean-Marc Furlan.[7] On 21 February 2010, Rohr replaced French coach Alain Giresse at the helm of the Gabon national football team.[8]

He became manager of Niger national football team in September 2012.[9] He resigned in October 2014.[10]

On 22 December 2015, he was sacked by Burkina Faso national football team as manager.[11]

He was shortlisted for the Guinea national team job in July 2016 but was not given the job.[12] In August 2016, he was named manager of the Super Eagles of Nigeria by Amaju Pinnick, the chief of the Nigeria Football Federation.[13] He won his first game in charge of the Nigerian national team, defeating Tanzania by a lone goal in Uyo, Nigeria.[14] He lost his first match on 10 June as Nigerian senior coach after a 2–0 home loss to South Africa.

On 7 October 2017, his Nigeria-led team became the first African side to qualify for the 2018 FIFA World Cup after a 1–0 win against Zambia.
Is the hiring process faulty? How did he get the SE job?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gernot_Rohr
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Ekorian wrote:In four years, Nigeria would have spent 864,000,000.( 864 Million Naira) in salaries alone to Rohr.
Imagine what close to a billion Naira could do for football developments, infrastructures, improving our local league and training of our local coaches?
Talk about misplaced priorities. And we wonder why our country is regressing. SMDH!
How much is the going rate for National team coach...$5000/mo?
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

You guys are like Trump voters...most here are saying "stay" but the polls say they want him gone...una go talk one thing outside but do something different for polling booth
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

My issue with him was his pronouncement that he was building the team for 2022! There is no guarantee we will qualify for the 2022 World Cup. He should have tried to maximized the talents he had instead of dreaming of 2022.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Gadfly wrote:My issue with him was his pronouncement that he was building the team for 2022! There is no guarantee we will qualify for the 2022 World Cup. He should have tried to maximized the talents he had instead of dreaming of 2022.

I think those were just mind game comments he was making to the press and our opponents. We certainly didn't play like a young team playing for 2022, and none of the players had this type of mindset. If anything he made these players believe they can play with anybody despite their lack of experience
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

1naija wrote:
Gadfly wrote:My issue with him was his pronouncement that he was building the team for 2022! There is no guarantee we will qualify for the 2022 World Cup. He should have tried to maximized the talents he had instead of dreaming of 2022.

I think those were just mind game comments he was making to the press and our opponents. We certainly didn't play like a young team playing for 2022, and none of the players had this type of mindset. If anything he made these players believe they can play with anybody despite their lack of experience
We kind of did. The only game we have played in at least the past four or 5 games where we didn't start playing in the second half, was perhaps the last game against Argentina.

This shows that Nigeria was indeed a team very low on confidence and belief.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

he has to go. He is not good enough.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

1naija wrote:
Obong wrote:Following the rather disappointing World Cup in spite of the unparalleled NFF and government support, many want Rohr to go. Some, including the NFF President, Pinnick, want him to stay. A few are undecided. Oya, cast your vote and let's channel it to the right quarters.
Who are the many that want him to go? And if you know this, then what's the purpose of the poll? Rohr, the NFF, and even some of the players did not get any support from many of you yet you called their performance disappointing?
As long as the man from your neck of the wood hired him he can not do anything wrong. Can you imagine if the dense coach was hired by a Yoruba or Igbo man by now you could have raised hell fire for both of them to be fired 5 years ago and disgraced publically for their high crimes against the country. Fellow Imolite the degree of you nepotism is above first class order. it seems that's the only driving force that guides you daily activities.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

bully12 wrote:
1naija wrote:
Obong wrote:Following the rather disappointing World Cup in spite of the unparalleled NFF and government support, many want Rohr to go. Some, including the NFF President, Pinnick, want him to stay. A few are undecided. Oya, cast your vote and let's channel it to the right quarters.
Who are the many that want him to go? And if you know this, then what's the purpose of the poll? Rohr, the NFF, and even some of the players did not get any support from many of you yet you called their performance disappointing?
As long as the man from your neck of the wood hired him he can not do anything wrong. Can you imagine if the dense coach was hired by a Yoruba or Igbo man by now you could have raised hell fire for both of them to be fired 5 years ago and disgraced publically for their high crimes against the country. Fellow Imolite the degree of you nepotism is above first class order. it seems that's the only driving force that guides you daily activities.
Dude, you as thick as you are round. So Pinnick is now from my neck of the wood? What an illiterate buffoon!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

1naija wrote:
bully12 wrote:
1naija wrote:
Dude, you as thick as you are round. So Pinnick is now from my neck of the wood? What an illiterate buffoon!
Right . He is not. Tell that to the marines. Fellow Imolite everybody in this forum knows why you are extremely passionate on certain issue and your penchant for defending them with all your might. literate jester and partialist
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Ekorian wrote:
Ekorian wrote:In four years, Nigeria would have spent 864,000,000.( 864 Million Naira) in salaries alone to Rohr.
Imagine what close to a billion Naira could do for football developments, infrastructures, improving our local league and training of our local coaches?
Talk about misplaced priorities. And we wonder why our country is regressing. SMDH!
You obviously know nothing about Nigeria. N1billion ain’t gotta develope jack s&$t in Nigeria unless all you want to do is put goal posts on dusty stone filled neighborhood pitches. It won’t even cover the stomach infrastructure of putting up the goal posts. :roll:
I was addressing his salaries and not even other incentives. Forget about other developments for argument's sake. How many local coaches can 2 million dollars help with international coaching courses? . Will Rohr somehow steal the cup to Nigeria in 4 years?
It is all well and good saying all this now, but do you remember a few short years ago when Pinnick went to the UK with a collection of referees (I don't think they were coaches)?
Do you remember the public outcry at the time? Accusations left, right and center of 'junket!', 'forex!', '4!9' and all the rest. The reaction was loud and vicious and nobody cared to speak up to give a counter opinion when the shouting was in full flow.
You might have been one of the accusers yourself or you might have been one of the silent few that didn't join in the hatorade. But it turned out (if I remember correctly) that the whole trip was privately sponsored and cost the NFF little to nothing.
But the damage had already been done. :oops:

You seem to forget that we are dealing with Nigerians here. The true facts rarely matter.
All these suggestions for long-term planning sound great on paper, but we do not have the patience as a society to see things through. Whatever we say, it is only the quick fix we have the stomach for.

As a fan that ultimately on balance is in favour of local coaches, I am not going to forget the near-hatred for Keshi, Siasia, Oliseh and yes, Amodu when they "failed" to achieve desired results or the SE "were not playing the way we wanted them to play". Some of the concerns were legit, but the LCs are now flavour of the month once again because Mrs Ighalo failed to take his two last-minute chances - which is really what it boils down to. If he had, the nature of the discussion would be slightly different.

I saw all this coming months ago: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=286206
See how the mature, calm and reasoned tone has changed from then (Feb 2018) to now.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. :D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

1naija wrote:

1Naija, i have always known you to say the truth... There was a deliberate lowering of standards for Rohr. This from Pinnick himself

[/video]
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote:
It is all well and good saying all this now, but do you remember a few short years ago when Pinnick went to the UK with a collection of referees (I don't think they were coaches)?
Do you remember the public outcry at the time? Accusations left, right and center of 'junket!', 'forex!', '4!9' and all the rest. The reaction was loud and vicious and nobody cared to speak up to give a counter opinion when the shouting was in full flow.
You might have been one of the accusers yourself or you might have been one of the silent few that didn't join in the hatorade. But it turned out (if I remember correctly) that the whole trip was privately sponsored and cost the NFF little to nothing.
Uncle Damunk, Please let's face the facts here. I was one of those who spoke against the Refereeing course. And gave reason for that, which will be given again. The refereeing course was conducted by London County FA is the basic course i.e beginners referee for Saturday and Sunday league football (where the referee is paid cash in hand (60 - 100 pounds per match).

http://www.hertfordshirefa.com/referees ... ees-course

http://www.londonfa.com/referees

My argument then was that Nigerian Professional league referees should be part of the Level 7 as shown on the map below, as they are way above that level.

http://www.thefa.com/get-involved/referee/fa-core
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

ohenhen1 wrote:The reason why Rohr should go.

1. He didn't believe in his own team.
2. He played cowardely football
3. Didn't make the right technical changes at the key moments of the game. His decisions against Argentina were amateurish at best.

Fire him.
I'm not sure this isn't borne out of emotions. Many have already said Rohr himself would have learnt from the competition. I also think so. He should be allowed to remain to keep building. I believe the NFF have set a new target for qualifying and going far at the next ANC. That said, let me counter your arguments with a benefits analysis. Rohr gave us:

1. An ability to search for and attract qualifying talent to the national team. We will benefit as we go along
2. We found a damn good goalkeeper in Uzoho
3. We have a spine that makes that gives us solidity against virtually all teams
4. We can counter when we get it right
5. Our players (and nation) are getting the right type of attention again.

Emotions aside, it will be inimical to growth for him to be let go off. I think we need to see those he wants to bring in to augment those areas of weakness we saw in Russia, which forced us to be a bit too conservative. Areas I will like to see addressed will include a left footed wing-back/left back (there is that guy from the 'A' team that played against Ahletico), a goal scoring mobile striker (the Awoniyi's, Umar, Lakoko etc should be given a chance now).

We also need ti now go into the depth of the squad. This to me is where the real work is. The first team looks in good shape if those areas mentioned are addressed, but the bench needs strength. I wish Rohr and Nigeria all the best going forward.
To stop trying is to start dying
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Damunk wrote:
Ekorian wrote:
You obviously know nothing about Nigeria. N1billion ain’t gotta develope jack s&$t in Nigeria unless all you want to do is put goal posts on dusty stone filled neighborhood pitches. It won’t even cover the stomach infrastructure of putting up the goal posts. :roll:
I was addressing his salaries and not even other incentives. Forget about other developments for argument's sake. How many local coaches can 2 million dollars help with international coaching courses? . Will Rohr somehow steal the cup to Nigeria in 4 years?

You seem to forget that we are dealing with Nigerians here. The true facts rarely matter.
All these suggestions for long-term planning sound great on paper, but we do not have the patience as a society to see things through. Whatever we say, it is only the quick fix we have the stomach for.

As a fan that ultimately on balance is in favour of local coaches, I am not going to forget the near-hatred for Keshi, Siasia, Oliseh and yes, Amodu when they "failed" to achieve desired results or the SE "were not playing the way we wanted them to play". Some of the concerns were legit, but the LCs are now flavour of the month once again because Mrs Ighalo failed to take his two last-minute chances - which is really what it boils down to. If he had, the nature of the discussion would be slightly different.

I saw all this coming months ago: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=286206
See how the mature, calm and reasoned tone has changed from then (Feb 2018) to now.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. :D
I don't remember the debate about the refereeing courses. It could be one of the many times that I took a sabbatical from CE.
Rohr's cowardly approach and football philosophy is not what we need in Nigeria. Granted that he, IMO invited most of the players on merit. But his different excuses for not bringing out the best in our players should have everyone worried.
With just one game played, we are presently sitting at the bottom of the AFCON qualifiers table below countries like Seychelles, Libya and South Africa. Should we also give him a pass if he fails to qualify or win the cup, all for continuity sake?
The man that failed with Gabon, Niger and Burkina Faso and was rightly rejected by Guinea is suddenly our Messiah? We are in for a long ride.....
Last edited by Ekorian on Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Shownoja wrote: I'm not sure this isn't borne out of emotions. Many have already said Rohr himself would have learnt from the competition. I also think so. He should be allowed to remain to keep building. I believe the NFF have set a new target for qualifying and going far at the next ANC. That said, let me counter your arguments with a benefits analysis. Rohr gave us:

1. An ability to search for and attract qualifying talent to the national team. We will benefit as we go along
3. We have a spine that makes that gives us solidity against virtually all teams

Emotions aside, it will be inimical to growth for him to be let go off. I think we need to see those he wants to bring in to augment those areas of weakness we saw in Russia, which forced us to be a bit too conservative. Areas I will like to see addressed will include a left footed wing-back/left back (there is that guy from the 'A' team that played against Ahletico), a goal scoring mobile striker (the Awoniyi's, Umar, Lakoko etc should be given a chance now).

We also need ti now go into the depth of the squad. This to me is where the real work is. The first team looks in good shape if those areas mentioned are addressed, but the bench needs strength. I wish Rohr and Nigeria all the best going forward.
Mr Show, Please what is going far in the ANC? QF,SF or F?

1) Keshi and Oliseh did the same.. Most of those talents were either capped by Keshi or Oliseh.
2) Uzoho,despite all the praise is still unproven.
3) A very good spine that conceded 4 goals in 3 matches and what was the results of the friendly matches before the WC?
4) After two years, we are still trying to get it right?
5) What attention is this?
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

paj wrote:
How much is the going rate for National team coach...$5000/mo?
Pa Janitor. I know that thinking/ logic is not your area of strength. Weren't you one of the people crying when Sunny Oliseh demanded 10,000 Million Naira per month before settling for half of that amount. Should a foreign coach, irrespective of his resume and accolades be earning such simply because he's Oyinbo? Is snatching foreign born players to play for Nigeria in the best interest of our Nation? Please think deep for a change.
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

fabio wrote:
Shownoja wrote: I'm not sure this isn't borne out of emotions. Many have already said Rohr himself would have learnt from the competition. I also think so. He should be allowed to remain to keep building. I believe the NFF have set a new target for qualifying and going far at the next ANC. That said, let me counter your arguments with a benefits analysis. Rohr gave us:

Mr Show, Please what is going far in the ANC? QF,SF or F?

1) Keshi and Oliseh did the same.. Most of those talents were either capped by Keshi or Oliseh.
2) Uzoho,despite all the praise is still unproven.
3) A very good spine that conceded 4 goals in 3 matches and what was the results of the friendly matches before the WC?
4) After two years, we are still trying to get it right?
5) What attention is this?
My brother, my argument is that we played decently. This team and it's affiliates in the A and home-based team have enough material to make something decent in the near future. Yes, we have a decent spine. Of those 4 goals, 1 was a penalty, one an unfortunate own goal and one was simply world class. If considered without emotional attachments, I will say, we should keep him even for just a few more years. Btw, his salary is now the responsibility of Aiteo Energy, so that pressure is not on the NFF anymore, which in itself is a blessing.
To stop trying is to start dying
ogiso
Egg
Egg

Post by ogiso »

But money can't fix that thing in our heads that keeps on telling us that foreign is always better nah.
Just stick with Rohr jare and resist this tendency to always return to go.
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

The YeyeMan wrote:
john12 wrote:You have to be a shameless crook to want him sacked after just 2 years in charge
Button it, you clown.

There are valid views on both sides of the debate - quit calling people crooks because they take an opposing view.

Sorry to say this but I've read your posts on here and have reached the conclusion that you're as dumb as a rock and a contender for the most stupid member that's ever posted on CE. Heaven knows this forum has witnessed some morons, some trolls, and some know-nothings over the years but you take the absolute cake.

You know I've actually lost brain cells when reading your posts? After reading your posts I temporarily forget how to do basic tasks and functions like doing laundry or washing dishes. Seriously, your posts should come with a health warning such is their rank stupidity. If I knew how to block a member's posts then I'd really give consideration to blocking yours. Abeg, try to stop your torrent of nonsense. Please!
:clap: :thumbs: :bump: :bump:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

Sack the silly 'football-coward'. :-x
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

mystic wrote:Rohr is two years into the rebuilding process necessitated by missing 3 out of the past 4 Nations Cup tournaments. We were at our lowest point ever as far as I can remember and had the daunting task of overcoming a group of fellow African Nations Cup winners to go to the World Cup. Virtually nobody gave us a chance, yet we were the first African side to qualify, lapping the competition in our so called group of death with such ease that we were able to absorb a 3 point penalty for an administrative lapse.

We went to the World Cup with a team so inexperienced on the international stage that 17 of our 23 players were playing in their FIRST EVER INTERNATIONAL TOURNAMENT FOR THE SUPER EAGLES. Pause and let that sink in for the moment and then come back and tell me why we had any right to all the unreasonable expectations that were placed on the squad other than the usual 'can do' mentality of Nigerians mixed with the unbridled optimism that we have as fans. Yes, the NFF gave them unprecedented support, but the truth is that they were simply doing what they are supposed to have been doing all this while.

Look, what the World Cup has shown us is that there is still much more work to be done for Nigerian football to achieve the heights that we all believe it can. And firing a coach who has done very well so far in terms of building the team would be a step backwards, in my opinion. Rohr, in my view, is on his way to building a monster and we must eschew the fire brigade approach for once and let him finish the task. We have another huge test coming next summer (the 2019 African Nations Cup) and if the team doesn't continue to improve and show signs of growth we will know it. We will at that point also be armed with 3 years and two tournaments worth of data on Rohr and will be better positioned to take a rational decision on whether or not he's the coach to take us to the 2022 World Cup.

Rohr should stay.
A man that did not understand his team and said his team of players are playing in small teams compared with other teams in our group. The man already has a mentality we are not good and you believe he can take us far. Lets get our own Nigeria coach.