No matter how good you are you need luck in football

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
No matter how good you are you need luck in football

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] Who else agrees with me that Nigeria was particularly unlucky in Russia 2018
[2] With a bit of luck, we could well be in the quarter finals now
[3] I do not see in what way Croatia is any better than Nigeria
[4] For all their big names, Croatia has not played any better than us but are in the quarter finals
[5] Russia too is another country that has been extremely lucky
[6] If you ask me, Germany played the best football of this World Cup but look at what happened to them
[7] Senegal was another team that was extremely unlucky, while Japan have had unbelievable good fortune
[8] Our current team is way better than the 2014 one, yet that one got to the second round
[9] Our Super Eagles are better than at least half of the teams that got to the second round
[10] no matter how much you plan, without good fortune, you will get nowhere in football
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: No matter how good you are you need luck in football

Post by Coach »

Not only were they unlucky, they were also not good enough to be lucky.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

OK
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Waiting for the day that Haiti or Tonga will be LUCKY enough to win the World Cup.
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Coach wrote:Not only were they unlucky, they were also not good enough to be lucky.

We were not good enough to win the tournament I agree but we were good enough to have made the quarter finals. Russia and Croatia are no better than us.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

Ekorian wrote:Waiting for the day that Haiti or Tonga will be LUCKY enough to win the World Cup.
Exactly my thought . Maybe we could have been luckier if we did not have Rohr as our coach and Ighalo as a striker. Both together in one team is tantamount to a very bad luck. Two devastating and disadvantageous strikes that really spell bad luck
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

Coach wrote:Not only were they unlucky, they were also not good enough to be lucky.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

You have to earn your luck. I am fed up with all these silly excuses, Rohr and the SE are just not good enough to compete at world cup level.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

realtrouble wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

You have to earn your luck. I am fed up with all these silly excuses, Rohr and the SE are just not good enough to compete at world cup level.
Not true, another coach knight have take the team far
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

we were lucky to be given that PK in the first place

we were lucky that Argentina was in shambles and self destructing

yet we did not capitalize on that luck because of THE FOOTBALL COWARD.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Lying sparko on the canvas, Bobby spat his gum shield out between swollen lips and said, in a wobbly toothed whisper, “I’ll batter him”.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Ekorian wrote:Waiting for the day that Haiti or Tonga will be LUCKY enough to win the World Cup.
Bros Ekorian, it's not about winning it, rather it is about going a little further in the tournament before going home
Last edited by Odas on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:[1] Who else agrees with me that Nigeria was particularly unlucky in Russia 2018
Me!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

vancity eagle wrote:we were lucky to be given that PK in the first place

we were lucky that Argentina was in shambles and self destructing

yet we did not capitalize on that luck because of THE FOOTBALL COWARD.
If you know Rohr is absolutely a coward who can not change with his age because cowardice is already deeply embedded into him why are you ambivalent about his sack? Do you think the man as old as he is he can change. Unfortunately adults don't change but can modify. As ultra conservative as he is modification is completely ruled out in his life. If we retain this guy the damage he will finally inflict on SE will be regrettable and irreparable.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

These countries that are in the knock out stages, they plan for these events way ahead of time, England have already announced friendlies after the world cup, this is called planning, i bet Germany are having an inquest and i am sure they will make recommendations for the future

In Africa, there is so much fire brigade approach to everyday life, the sports sector is just a mirror image of the government and economy, football in particular

Can we say, we have lost to argentina since 1994 due to bad luck? Or we have failed to go past the 2nd round due to bad luck

The truth is Nigeria is never prepared for these tournaments, that is the reason why they take average players and expect some good fortune

Yes, the squad in Russia looked decent, but rewind back to the England game, what i saw did not inspire any confidence that Nigeria will be world beaters after 2 weeks

There are some positives to take from the squad but Nigeria needed more than good luck to beat Argentina, it was due to the same fire brigade planning that Nigeria could not score from open play, Argentina scored 2 from open play and went through eventhough i did not think they had a great squad

I believe in hard work, planning and yes some good fortune in this order, something which most African teams have fallen short times and times again, this is the reason why no African side went through, the same Senegal everyone raves about reminds me of cameroon, just huff and puff, there was nothing about that team that looked like a knockout team
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Croatia has been the 4th best team in the tournament there’s no way you can classify their achievement as luck. As for Nigeria, we deserved to be eliminated because at the highest level, you must take your chances or be eliminated and only a CROOK will suggest rohr as the culprit. Rohr must stay for continuity, stability etc like I have said from day 1, 1994 team is not beating this Croatia team
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

It is no mistake in life that Croatia are still in the world cup and Nigeria are out, its never a mistake, the amount of preparation, planning Nigeria put into football only deserves a 2nd round or exit at best
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

We were very unlucky in this World Cup. I agree.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:[1] Who else agrees with me that Nigeria was particularly unlucky in Russia 2018
[2] With a bit of luck, we could well be in the quarter finals now
[3] I do not see in what way Croatia is any better than Nigeria
[4] For all their big names, Croatia has not played any better than us but are in the quarter finals
[5] Russia too is another country that has been extremely lucky
[6] If you ask me, Germany played the best football of this World Cup but look at what happened to them
[7] Senegal was another team that was extremely unlucky, while Japan have had unbelievable good fortune
[8] Our current team is way better than the 2014 one, yet that one got to the second round
[9] Our Super Eagles are better than at least half of the teams that got to the second round
[10] no matter how much you plan, without good fortune, you will get nowhere in football
Dude stop it, that team was bad! They could not string more than 3 passes together. And were not intelligent enough to play counter football. How can u set up ur team to play defensive football when u know they are horrible in set pieces??
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Goldleaf wrote:We were very unlucky in this World Cup. I agree.
Unlucky to have been drawn in a group of four teams. Everything else was just deserves.
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

How about this:

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity?"

~Seneca

You make your own luck!
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

kolinzo wrote:How about this:

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity?"

~Seneca

You make your own luck!
Best preparation since 1994.

It was not to be.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

I was unlucky to have opened this thread :(
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."