The Art of Dribbling

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

donadoni
Egg
Egg
The Art of Dribbling

Post by donadoni »

Dribbling seems to be a dying art, coached out of players at a young age.

We all know that too much dribbling without purpose or end result is wasteful and counter productive. BUT does it not have an important place in the game?

I see teams down one goal with a few minutes on the clock still making endless sideways passes as if this is their only option. No one with the confidence to take on even one player (talk less of Maradona who took on five or six) and make something magical happen when their team needs it.

This state of affairs not only lessens the joy of watching the beautiful game but also removes what used to be most unique and “unpredictable” about African teams. Now we are playing European style without African magic. A balanced between the two is ok. But what we have now is not.

When things were tight we used to feel like okocha or Kanu could conjure something from nothing any minute. We need to feel that again - even if it means bringing a few local players into the mix.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The Art of Dribbling

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Dribbling is fine, as long as it is executed successfully most of the time, and NOT in a dangerous area. At this level, you lose the ball, you will get punished for it. The teams passing sideways are not stupid. As long as they are doing this, the opponent does not have the ball and cannot hurt them.

I wish we had been able to hold onto the ball and pass it sideways in the last 5 minutes against Argentina.

Wha choo looking at?!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

donadoni wrote:Dribbling seems to be a dying art, coached out of players at a young age.

We all know that too much dribbling without purpose or end result is wasteful and counter productive. BUT does it not have an important place in the game?

I see teams down one goal with a few minutes on the clock still making endless sideways passes as if this is their only option. No one with the confidence to take on even one player (talk less of Maradona who took on five or six) and make something magical happen when their team needs it.

This state of affairs not only lessens the joy of watching the beautiful game but also removes what used to be most unique and “unpredictable” about African teams. Now we are playing European style without African magic. A balanced between the two is ok. But what we have now is not.

When things were tight we used to feel like okocha or Kanu could conjure something from nothing any minute. We need to feel that again - even if it means bringing a few local players into the mix.

It's quite a shame. Any attempt to take on players will be met with severe criticism from a coaching staff. The sideways passing in front of a set defense time and time again is so frustrating. Football has become so formulaic, pass side to side and work your way to the sideline for a cross or cut back. Rinse and repeat.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The most underrated tactic in the game.

And in the case of Nigeria, instead of looking for best ways to harness this, we label dribblers as 'headless chickens'..

- Tijani Babangida
- Pius Ikedia
- Ahmed Musa
- Moses Simon
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

I don't mind dribbling with a purpose.

One of my greatest frustrations was watching Okocha try some gravity defying tricks and losing the ball after being cut short by an opposition player.

What made it worse for me was that annoying smile in tense situations. Don't get me wrong, I liked his smile but it seemed stupid after gifting the enemy possession in dangerous areas.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

cchinukw wrote:I don't mind dribbling with a purpose.

One of my greatest frustrations was watching Okocha try some gravity defying tricks and losing the ball after being cut short by an opposition player.

What made it worse for me was that annoying smile in tense situations. Don't get me wrong, I liked his smile but it seemed stupid after gifting the enemy possession in dangerous areas.
The best dribblers often lose the ball- Messi, Neymar. Its a cost v benefit thing ultimately...

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Unfortunately too Brazil has joined the european football pattern bandwagon and abandoned jogo bonito. It's very depressing.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote:The most underrated tactic in the game.

And in the case of Nigeria, instead of looking for best ways to harness this, we label dribblers as 'headless chickens'..

- Tijani Babangida
- Pius Ikedia
- Ahmed Musa
- Moses Simon
KPOM. Dribbling is in fact one way to create space and an important one that not only creates space but eliminates opponents when carried out successfully.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:

- Tijani Babangida
- Pius Ikedia
- Ahmed Musa
- Moses Simon
KPOM. Dribbling is in fact one way to create space and an important one that not only creates space but eliminates opponents when carried out successfully.

If I was coach of Nigeria, at the very minimum, my entire forward line and midfield, including subs would have to have the ability to dribble at pace...

2drama
Eaglet
Eaglet
Location: To my Late Grand-Papa Pa onyemere(he left us oct-26-07) -i miss you -R-I-P

Post by 2drama »

- Tijani Babangida
- Pius Ikedia
- Ahmed Musa
- Moses Simon
People forever Bashing the legend JJ Okocha

That how Ike Uche was able to create his goals and assist by being able to take on defenders
http://www.2dramasports.com is live ,Get SE downloads links or watch online links
Get Your Super Eagles Games on DvD Pm 2drama don't live history have a part of it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_national_football_team
Godfather
Egg
Egg

Post by Godfather »

2drama wrote:

- Tijani Babangida
- Pius Ikedia
- Ahmed Musa
- Moses Simon
People forever Bashing the legend JJ Okocha

That how Ike Uche was able to create his goals and assist by being able to take on defenders
Yes, the garri master :thumbs: :thumbs:
“Achebe was a writer in whose company the Prison walls fell down.” – Dr. Nelson Mandela.
2drama
Eaglet
Eaglet
Location: To my Late Grand-Papa Pa onyemere(he left us oct-26-07) -i miss you -R-I-P

Post by 2drama »

Goldleaf wrote:Unfortunately too Brazil has joined the european football pattern bandwagon and abandoned jogo bonito. It's very depressing.
The national team players the ones in europe

The local Brazilian league still encourage it :thumb: it

[/video]
http://www.2dramasports.com is live ,Get SE downloads links or watch online links
Get Your Super Eagles Games on DvD Pm 2drama don't live history have a part of it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_national_football_team
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

We aint got no dribblers
We aint got no dribblers
A laaa laaa la
A laaa laaa la!!!
donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

The cruyff turn
Ossie ardiles flick
Maradona moves
Ronaldo step over and speed
El Blanco
Jay jay magic
George weah
Ronaldino
The list goes on.

Defenders can never relax because anything may happen next. The fans can’t miss a minute of the action. Let’s take the best of the disciplined Europeans but please bring back the fine art of dribbling before UFC becomes more interesting than football o!
dizzle
Egg
Egg

Post by dizzle »

dribbling is not for everyone and should be done with a purpose. The only time De Maria had a great game for Argentina was when he played his game and took on players. Talented players should be given the reign to utilize that tool in critical points of the game...it's a cool way to get free kicks, open/put pressure on the defense...
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Ahmed musa is not a dribbler.

Mikel knows more about dribbling than him.

Musa is a runner
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

- Tijani Babangida
- Pius Ikedia
- Ahmed Musa
- Moses Simon
...when a dribbling 'circus' is not completed positively hence the player is labeled :biggrin:
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

- Tijani Babangida
- Pius Ikedia
- Ahmed Musa
- Moses Simon
Of the above, Ahmed Musa and Tijani Babangida are speed demons, not dribblers. Ikedia and Simon are the dribblers. In our current Super Eagles, only Moses Simon, Victor Moses and Alex Iwobi can actually dribble. The art of dribbling also allows you to hold the ball. If we had that ability in that last five minutes against Argentina...
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Tbite wrote:Ahmed musa is not a dribbler.

Mikel knows more about dribbling than him.

Musa is a runner
What Musa second goal against Iceland was a dribbling involved Yes or No?
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

And yet there is nothing more effective than the whipped cross.
Kneedeep
Egg
Egg

Post by Kneedeep »

Dribbling is fine as long as the player is headed roughly towards goal, sideways or roundabout dribbling when not trying to make space or release another player is as annoying as passing for passing sake.
Okocha never had the luxury of having a team built around him, even as a SE. Messi on the other hand, has a formation, "the false 9" adapted to accommodate him.
Advocating rational thought since 1987
sayala
Egg
Egg

Post by sayala »

In modern football, there is no longer much space to dribble.

Every team at the world cup is playing with 10 men behind the ball. And teams like russia are defending very deep with all 10 players. Then add the fact that fitness levels are very high which means players are covering a lot more ground. Nowadays if you get the ball, you will immediately be closed down by two defenders.

So dribbling is not useful anymore. This is one reason why African teams are being left behind tactically. The way to break down a 10 man defence is not by dribbling. It is by making quick one touch passes inside the penalty box. Something African players have yet to master.
Kneedeep
Egg
Egg

Post by Kneedeep »

sayala wrote:In modern football, there is no longer much space to dribble.

Every team at the world cup is playing with 10 men behind the ball. And teams like russia are defending very deep with all 10 players. Then add the fact that fitness levels are very high which means players are covering a lot more ground. Nowadays if you get the ball, you will immediately be closed down by two defenders.

So dribbling is not useful anymore. This is one reason why African teams are being left behind tactically. The way to break down a 10 man defence is not by dribbling. It is by making quick one touch passes inside the penalty box. Something African players have yet to master.
If this is the case, then we have to ask what happened in the Spain-Russia match? The one-two pass was not the answer on that day.
Advocating rational thought since 1987