G of 16: ENGLAND (4) (1) vs. COLOMBIA (3) (1) AGG 5-4

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: G of 16: ENGLAND (4) (1) vs. COLOMBIA (3) (1) AGG 5-4

Post by green4life »

anikulapo wrote:
bepanda wrote:Can't blame Ospina for this. He saved one PK. His team couldn't even score afterwards ...
Ospina had nothing to do in this game. England is really useless. They can't manufacture chances ... And got beaten in the air???? Seriously England?
Coach wrote:Ospina even took a Wengerian step to his left. Lol!

Dude your missing the point ... he read the pk all the way ... it was a soft pk with no power .... very weak and poor palms there ..:. Easy save clown
He didn’t guess. He dove on the kick and was a fingertip short. Had he guessed, he’d have taken 1 step to his right before diving for an easy save. I prefer the goalie to guess but ospina has been relatively successful in saving pks using his technique so can’t blame him.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Coach wrote:@Air, not a fancy dan in sight, but plenty have already collected their luggage off the carousel.
Their luck will run out soon. I truly believe they were in a group with two of the worst teams in the tourney and they barely etched out a team with MMA Colombia.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

airwolex wrote:
Coach wrote:@Air, not a fancy dan in sight, but plenty have already collected their luggage off the carousel.
Their luck will run out soon. I truly believe they were in a group with two of the worst teams in the tourney and they barely etched out a team with MMA Colombia.
There has not been any stand out team at this stage, all tbe teams left can beat each other on their day
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

I the lord of see and sky
I have heard my people cry
Who will dry the tears for them
whom shall I send?

Is it Kane lord, 'Arry Kane lord
He has heard you calling in the night
he will go Lord, leading his team
he will hold the world cup in his arms.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

airwolex wrote:
They'll lose to the first team that comes out to play them. And that'll be that.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

They said they won't get out the group, then they said Colomba will do this and that...Now Sweden will be the resurrection of Ragnar Lothbrok. Yawn. If Modric makes it past Putinsm, his Gail from Coronation Street looking a*s, is getting splatooned.
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

This engriss people no go let man rest now chai !! I blame James for this and the yeye Fraudrado
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Until we build Jerusalem on England's plain and pleasant hills.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Coach wrote:They said they won't get out the group
Citation needed.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

Just got back from the game. Even when you think England might prove you wrong they end up showing their true colours. England was the better team for the first 65 minutes although they failed to create any good chances. Nonetheless they took the lead on a deserved PK but then retreated for no good reason at all. Colombia was awful for much of the regular time offering absolutely nothing in the game. However by retreating, England gave Colombia a lifeline which obviously bit them in the behind. England surrendered control and Colombia had the crowd support and momentum for all of extra time.

The win spares England press scrutiny but it was a very poor display by Southgate. In addition to cowering, he failed to make necessary big decisions such as subbing Kane off. Kane was absolutely spent after 70 minutes and could no longer run. He was cramping up early in extra time and was stretching his calf while his teammates continued on. Obviously Southgate made the calculus that he didn't want to take off his best player and was willing to play minus one for all of extra time so he could get a PK out of Kane.

England live to fight another day and with their path to the final being easier than it can possibly ever be, I think they can scrape their way to a match on July 15. However, they would do well to learn from the mistakes they made today.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

So England could conceivably end up holding the U17, U20 and senior World Cups at the same time. Life would be practically unbearable. :)
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

green4life wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
bepanda wrote:Can't blame Ospina for this. He saved one PK. His team couldn't even score afterwards ...
Ospina had nothing to do in this game. England is really useless. They can't manufacture chances ... And got beaten in the air???? Seriously England?
Coach wrote:Ospina even took a Wengerian step to his left. Lol!

Dude your missing the point ... he read the pk all the way ... it was a soft pk with no power .... very weak and poor palms there ..:. Easy save clown
He didn’t guess. He dove on the kick and was a fingertip short. Had he guessed, he’d have taken 1 step to his right before diving for an easy save. I prefer the goalie to guess but ospina has been relatively successful in saving pks using his technique so can’t blame him.

Wait what? Relatively successful? Based on what measure :rotf:

Who said he guessed? Anyone who plays goalie knows you can read some players techniques based on experience and body shape .... ]he read it perfectly but he showed incredibly weak palms .... go back to Costas equalizer in the Fa cup final.

It was not about his fingertips but poor technique by an average goalie on a relatively easy save .... Pickford showed stronger palms on a rocket
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Kudos to England.................Haters to Support Spain.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

The haters have gone quiet at least for now, CE people are quite sound when it comes to football, they should have seen the improvement of the england national team, the calm man city effect at the back, no longer shooting the ball up, Pep seems to have improved Walker and Stones, one cant help but notice this, i thought Rashford should have come on before Vardy but the Columbians had a pacy winger to deal with, said before the thread, maybe this world cup is too soon for England, i expect them to be contenders at the next world cup, they have a group of under 17 and under 20 coming into their own, The english FA need to ensure premiership teams field more english players, it can only benefit them

Knockout football throws form out of the picture, some teams are peaking at the right time, some teams will get unlucky, some will get lucky, right now its all about winning over 90 minutes, if you want to be entertained, watch Spain!

England VS Sweden? England bogey team for the past 2 decades or so, Sweden knows how to play England, they play like a typical mid table premiership side, solid at the back for 90 minutes, on paper, England have the better players, so did Spain as well, right now its all about winning games, expect England to edge it but you never rule out the Swedes defending for their lives and nicking one in.

The key players for England in that game will be Sterling and possibly Rashford because of their close control, they will not get any space for the likes of Kane as Sweden defends in numbers, when they lose balls, they have at least 7 man in defence, go watch all their games, i even expect Lingard to score one of his typical long range efforts
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Dr. Wazobia
Egg
Egg

Post by Dr. Wazobia »

marko wrote:The haters have gone quiet at least for now, CE people are quite sound when it comes to football, they should have seen the improvement of the england national team, the calm man city effect at the back, no longer shooting the ball up, Pep seems to have improved Walker and Stones, one cant help but notice this, i thought Rashford should have come on before Vardy but the Columbians had a pacy winger to deal with, said before the thread, maybe this world cup is too soon for England, i expect them to be contenders at the next world cup, they have a group of under 17 and under 20 coming into their own, The english FA need to ensure premiership teams field more english players, it can only benefit them

Knockout football throws form out of the picture, some teams are peaking at the right time, some teams will get unlucky, some will get lucky, right now its all about winning over 90 minutes, if you want to be entertained, watch Spain!

England VS Sweden? England bogey team for the past 2 decades or so, Sweden knows how to play England, they play like a typical mid table premiership side, solid at the back for 90 minutes, on paper, England have the better players, so did Spain as well, right now its all about winning games, expect England to edge it but you never rule out the Swedes defending for their lives and nicking one in.

The key players for England in that game will be Sterling and possibly Rashford because of their close control, they will not get any space for the likes of Kane as Sweden defends in numbers, when they lose balls, they have at least 7 man in defence, go watch all their games, i even expect Lingard to score one of his typical long range efforts
The influx of good foreign talent (players and coaches) has helped the EPL and the England team, because we now have better footballers coming through the academies.

In my opinion, our attacking talents need to gain experience in other leagues (preferably Spain) if we are to improve our flair going forward.

It pains me that Southgate played an injured Alli when he had other options (Loftus-Cheek or Rashford) and he may have inadvertently caused further damage to Alli’s chances of playing against Sweden. Southgate could have benefited from having Rooney and John Terry in the squad (experience) but I respect what he is trying to achieve with this team.
--- Let brotherly love continue ---
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

I blame that yeye striker called Falcao, he played like a man with his feet riddled by jigger! What a terrible player. How can you have a player at this level with no legs, can't run, can't control the ball and can't pass yet he plays for Colombia. Tufiakwa
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Heliopolis wrote:Just got back from the game. Even when you think England might prove you wrong they end up showing their true colours. England was the better team for the first 65 minutes although they failed to create any good chances. Nonetheless they took the lead on a deserved PK but then retreated for no good reason at all. Colombia was awful for much of the regular time offering absolutely nothing in the game. However by retreating, England gave Colombia a lifeline which obviously bit them in the behind. England surrendered control and Colombia had the crowd support and momentum for all of extra time.

The win spares England press scrutiny but it was a very poor display by Southgate. In addition to cowering, he failed to make necessary big decisions such as subbing Kane off. Kane was absolutely spent after 70 minutes and could no longer run. He was cramping up early in extra time and was stretching his calf while his teammates continued on. Obviously Southgate made the calculus that he didn't want to take off his best player and was willing to play minus one for all of extra time so he could get a PK out of Kane.

England live to fight another day and with their path to the final being easier than it can possibly ever be, I think they can scrape their way to a match on July 15. However, they would do well to learn from the mistakes they made today.
Thanks Heliopolis for this eye witness account.

It's not easy playing a game of rugby...sorry high physical impact football non stop for 120 mins. Kudos to England for maintaining the presence of mind even after extra time to put home some fantastic penalty kicks and saves.

No more easy wins at the world cup.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

theYemster wrote:So England could conceivably end up holding the U17, U20 and senior World Cups at the same time.
Life would be practically unbearable. :)
...And that would be putting it mildly.
The world is still reminded of 1966, and Roger Bannister breaking the 4-Minute Mile run.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

joao wrote:
theYemster wrote:So England could conceivably end up holding the U17, U20 and senior World Cups at the same time.
Life would be practically unbearable. :)
...And that would be putting it mildly.
The world is still reminded of 1966, and Roger Bannister breaking the 4-Minute Mile run.
Notice too that this coincides with the greatest noticeable racial diversity of this team.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Very interesting world cup, england were predicted to get to the quarter finals at least by the english press before the start of the competition, they have just done that so i think they have achieved, The Sweden game will be like a war, The Swedes sense they can go far as well and why not

Marko
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

oloye wrote:I blame that yeye striker called Falcao, he played like a man with his feet riddled by jigger! What a terrible player. How can you have a player at this level with no legs, can't run, can't control the ball and can't pass yet he plays for Colombia. Tufiakwa
Add Fraudrado to the list nonsense upon ingredients :curse: :curse:
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

I heard prices for the england game is fetching 1000 pounds on the black market, that game will probably be an anti-climax, sometimes knockout football could be so boring

Marko
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

marko wrote:I heard prices for the england game is fetching 1000 pounds on the black market, that game will probably be an anti-climax, sometimes knockout football could be so boring
The game has 0-0 written all over it.

Coach, take note!
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024