Re: Neymar Antics: Villain or Victim?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Re: Neymar Antics: Villain or Victim?

Post by maceo4 »

EII, look at all those holes in his socks, they tryna kill my boy :taunt:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

ohsee wrote:
Orion wrote:Football is a man's sport but Neymar is like a big cry baby rolling all over the place crying like a little girl from the slightest touch. :roll: Football is a contact sport. If you don't want to be tackled then release the ball faster or stop playing football. The kind of tackles Pele and Maradona endured while they stayed on their feet and carried on playing gets players red-carded today. Refs are catching on to his theatrics now so he's not doing himself any favours.
:shock: :shock:
Helloooooo? How old are you? Maradona endured tackles? For where? If there is anyone who is the chief diving primaradona in the history of football, it is Maradona. Maradona and Caniggia invented diving theatrics my friend. Those two guys, if they felt the slightest wind from your approach, they went into a swan dive, with appropriate writhing and rolling around. Who be Neymar?

Pele started diving after 1970, so he is not a saint in this matter. But in the 1960s, he was a marked man, and the tackling was absolutely ferocious in an era WHEN THERE WERE NO YELLOW OR RED CARDS, and you had to punch someone to get sent off. Yellow and Red cards were introduced in 1970 to curb vicious tackling after the volume of criticism in the media about the cruel abuse Pele suffered in WC 1966. In the 60s, Pele rode tackles--he stumbled and kept going when he could, as did other stars like Eusebio.

Today, people fall down for every slight touch--things have gone in the opposite direction. I can't stand it any more, even when it is done by the likes of Victor Moses, who even my aged mother-in-law was calling stupid for diving so much. :lol: This World Cup has gone overboard with diving, and it is not just Neymar. It is time for FIFA to do something about it.
Maybe you're talking about the 1990 WC where diving became an issue not just from the Argentinians but also the Germans. There was a big issue with diving in that WC and the worst offenders were the likes of Klinsmann. But generally, Maradona plays through tackles until absolutely fouled. His game depended on weaving through tackles and shrugging off those that don't bring him down, if not he would not have been the Maradona we all know. I have seen multiple videos of him still charging through even when players were clearly trying to hack him down with multiple deliberate kicks. That's why they called him "El Toro", meaning "the bull". Neymar, on the other hand, goes down rolling around like a little girl with the slightest feather touch. No one will ever call Neymar "El Toro". Maybe "ninita" would be more fitting. :rotf:

Maradona had many issues but one of them was not excessive diving to the point it overshadowed his game (or his other antics).
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Orion wrote:
ohsee wrote:
Orion wrote:Football is a man's sport but Neymar is like a big cry baby rolling all over the place crying like a little girl from the slightest touch. :roll: Football is a contact sport. If you don't want to be tackled then release the ball faster or stop playing football. The kind of tackles Pele and Maradona endured while they stayed on their feet and carried on playing gets players red-carded today. Refs are catching on to his theatrics now so he's not doing himself any favours.
Helloooooo? How old are you? Maradona endured tackles? For where? If there is anyone who is the chief diving primaradona in the history of football, it is Maradona. Maradona and Caniggia invented diving theatrics my friend. Those two guys, if they felt the slightest wind from your approach, they went into a swan dive, with appropriate writhing and rolling around. Who be Neymar?

Pele started diving after 1970, so he is not a saint in this matter. But in the 1960s, he was a marked man, and the tackling was absolutely ferocious in an era WHEN THERE WERE NO YELLOW OR RED CARDS, and you had to punch someone to get sent off. Yellow and Red cards were introduced in 1970 to curb vicious tackling after the volume of criticism in the media about the cruel abuse Pele suffered in WC 1966. In the 60s, Pele rode tackles--he stumbled and kept going when he could, as did other stars like Eusebio.

Today, people fall down for every slight touch--things have gone in the opposite direction. I can't stand it any more, even when it is done by the likes of Victor Moses, who even my aged mother-in-law was calling stupid for diving so much. :lol: This World Cup has gone overboard with diving, and it is not just Neymar. It is time for FIFA to do something about it.
Maybe you're talking about the 1990 WC where diving became an issue not just from the Argentinians but also the Germans. There was a big issue with diving in that WC and the worst offenders were the likes of Klinsmann. But generally, Maradona plays through tackles until absolutely fouled. His game depended on weaving through tackles and shrugging off those that don't bring him down, if not he would not have been the Maradona we all know. I have seen multiple videos of him still charging through even when players were clearly trying to hack him down with multiple deliberate kicks. That's why they called him "El Toro", meaning "the bull". Neymar, on the other hand, goes down rolling around like a little girl with the slightest feather touch. No one will ever call Neymar "El Toro". Maybe "ninita" would be more fitting. :rotf:

Maradona had many issues but one of them was not excessive diving to the point it overshadowed his game (or his other antics).
Ronaldo de Lima too was like that. Refused to go down even when legitimately fouled.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Enugu II wrote:

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

Orion wrote:
ohsee wrote:

[/video]
gosh
Egg
Egg

Post by gosh »

I cringe with disdain at the mere sight of that guy.
His antics are a disgrace.
Others i couldn't stand were Rivaldo and Lius Fabiano.
Whatever you are chasing is also chasing you!
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

:D

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

theYemster wrote::D
Now this is funny. Similar to that Geico commercial about sliding. :rotf:
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

That is what happens when you turn yourself into an international clown.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

:rotf:

But txj said it's the English media who are to blame. :D :P
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

txj wrote:Players like Dele Alli and Harry Kane are divers who simulate to get fav calls on PKs, etc.

Can it be said on the other hand that Neymar falls down or dives, or both, to draw attention to the fouls on him...?
Oh be quiet. Kane and Alli get fouled, battered just as much. They get up and get on with it. No drama or Broadway theatrics.

You've taken your position on Naymar, just looking for those who agrees with you 'cos you're always right.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

Eden Hazard is one of the most fouled, if not the most fouled player in the EPL but you don't see him over embellishing every foul. He picks himself up & gets on with his game.

A significant number of players will exaggerate contact or fake injury and I cannot fault that but it leaves a very sour taste when the players take it overboard like Neymar deciding to see if he can roll his way from Russia to Brazil..

Neymar needs to grow up.. It is too much. His style of plays means he will get fouled a lot. Often times the fouls are deserved as he hangs on to the ball too long (higher probability of getting fouled) or he is mocking opposing players (engrages them into going hard at him).

At the rate he is going, this will become him brand and probably not a good image to carry on for rest of his career
Lampard: 101 goals and counting.......

64 GAMES UNBEATEN AT STAMFORD BRIDGE... A NEW RECORD IS SET.....
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

The YeyeMan wrote: :rotf:

But txj said it's the English media who are to blame. :D :P
And i told him it was not solely an English media thing :D
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...all I am asking is for real tough defender tackle him legally like the old days Rangers International's left backs and right backs use to tackle marauding wingers. How I wish he jammed Rigobert Song in his days.
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

http://kwese.espn.com/football/brazil/s ... ge-to-fans
Neymar admits 'sometimes I do exaggerate' in post-World Cup message to fans

Neymar used a sponsor's ad to admit that he exaggerated some of his reactions after being fouled during the World Cup in Russia.

The video, published Sunday and broadcast on several Brazilian TV networks, features the striker accepting criticism for the first time and promising to pick himself up.

The striker scored two goals in the tournament and wasn't too disappointing until his team got knocked out by Belgium in the quarterfinals, but fans and players have spoken much more about his theatrics on the pitch, which included dives, rolling and frequent arguing with referees.

"You may think I exaggerate. And sometimes I do exaggerate. But the truth is I suffer on the pitch," Neymar said in the ad sponsored by Gillette.

Since Brazil's elimination, Neymar spoke about the defeat in Russia only via Instagram. In the ad, he tried to explain why he did not speak right after the Belgium game, which fostered even more criticism of his behavior at home.

"When I leave without giving interviews, it is not because I only want the victory laurels," Neymar said. "It is because I still haven't learned to disappoint you.

"When I look impolite, it is not because I am a spoiled kid. It is because I have not learned how to be frustrated."

Neymar said his football style is akin to that of a boy who "sometimes charms the world, sometimes irritates the whole world."

"I fight to keep that boy alive inside of me, but not on the pitch," he said. "You may think I fall too much, but the truth is I did not fall. I fell apart.

"That hurts more than any step on an operated ankle."

The piece ended with Neymar's pledge to be a new man less than a month after Brazil was knocked out of the World Cup.

"I took long to accept your criticism. I took long to look at myself in the mirror and become a new man," Neymar said. "I fell, but only who falls can pick himself up."

Neymar ended his ad by asking fans to make a choice.

"You can keep casting stones -- or throw these stones away and help me stand. When I stand, all of Brazil stands with me," he said.

On July 20, at his first public appearance after the World Cup, Neymar did not talk about his exaggerations. Instead, he claimed that he is the subject of double standards when he plays for Paris Saint-Germain and Brazil.
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

If I'm a top player that holds the ball a lot like Neymar I'd go down easier too just to ensure referee protection. Neymar has a tendency to hold onto the ball for a millisecond too long but given his preferred style of play, it makes sense that he embellishes. The problem is he embellishes even when its completely unnecessary and he deservedly suffered the consequences in Brazil's latter games when the refs did not take him seriously. There were a few times where he was legitimately fouled vs Belgium but at that point in the tournament he had no credibility left. I do not feel sorry for him and he is now reaping what he sowed. Interestingly, Brazilians themselves also can't stand the kid for his antics and wished he played with more dignity. Only time will tell if the negative press will convince him to clean up his act. I wouldn't be surprised if he does improve because the negative attention he got both internationally and in Brazil was overwhelming.
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

BTW, players will continue to dive and embellish because they get rewarded mightily for doing it. For every yellow card you might get for simulation, you'll get 5 favourable calls your way. FIFA needs to introduce tougher measures to disincentivize simulation. The yellow card for diving isn't enough; they should have disciplinary committees that review player behaviour after games. In addition, VAR should be used to review simulation and refs should be given authority to dish out more yellows for it. One of the issues is refs don't want to be seen as heavy handed (and cost a player a suspension) so they tend to ignore dives rather than punish players for it.
mapet
Egg
Egg

Post by mapet »

Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:Genius or spoiled brat?

IMO, what is happening to Neymar in the media is the high tech lynching of an "uppity" South American footballer.

Much like it was done to Pele in 1966 albeit in a different era.

According to the majority of ENGLISH pundits, his hugging of the ball invites the fouls on him. They therefore conclude that he should change his style, be more like Ronaldo, so he doesn't get fouled.

My question is, why should Neymar change his style if it is successful for him and the teams he's played for?

Would this be the narrative if he was an English player?

TBH,

I have been fed up with his antics for a while. It is just ridiculous. Imagine if just 30% of footballers act like the guy on the field. I bet some of his team mates would be fed up with his act.

But how many footballers have his style? How many are fouled as much as he is and what was their reaction?
He is fouled, no doubt but the theatrics are just ridiculous. For me, just over the top. I personally find it repulsive and care very little for it. I may be old school but that is just how I feel.
He needs to realise those theatrics don't work anymore......they are off-putting
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

mapet wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:Genius or spoiled brat?

IMO, what is happening to Neymar in the media is the high tech lynching of an "uppity" South American footballer.

Much like it was done to Pele in 1966 albeit in a different era.

According to the majority of ENGLISH pundits, his hugging of the ball invites the fouls on him. They therefore conclude that he should change his style, be more like Ronaldo, so he doesn't get fouled.

My question is, why should Neymar change his style if it is successful for him and the teams he's played for?

Would this be the narrative if he was an English player?

TBH,

I have been fed up with his antics for a while. It is just ridiculous. Imagine if just 30% of footballers act like the guy on the field. I bet some of his team mates would be fed up with his act.

But how many footballers have his style? How many are fouled as much as he is and what was their reaction?
He is fouled, no doubt but the theatrics are just ridiculous. For me, just over the top. I personally find it repulsive and care very little for it. I may be old school but that is just how I feel.
He needs to realise those theatrics don't work anymore......they are off-putting
He should watch old clips of Pele and he'll realise they are building a castle around today's footballers
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

DIVING SPECIALIST, NEYMAR, REPENTS, SAYS ‘AM NOW BORN AGAIN’
https://www.sportsvillagesquare.com/201 ... orn-again/
3 HOURS AGO
Twitter Facebook Google + Linkedin Comments

Following the heavy criticism for his actions during Brazil’s matches at the World Cup, Neymar appears to have repented.

The world’s most expensive footballer was always falling down at almost every body contact with him and was always play-acting while on the turf.

He has now admitted that he overreacted and has now looked at himself in the mirror and is now a new man.

He gave a refreshingly honest speech in a Gillette advert aired in Brazil, and also explained why he doesn’t always talk to the press.

“You may think I overreact, and sometimes I do,” said the Paris Saint-Germain star. “But the truth is I suffer on the pitch. You have no idea what I go through outside of it.

“When I leave without talking to the press, it’s not because I only like winning, it is because I still haven’t learned to disappoint you.

“When I look impolite, it is not because I am a spoiled kid, it is because I have not learned how to deal with my frustrations.

“There’s still a boy inside of me. Sometimes it dazzles the world. Other times, it pisses everyone off. And my fight is to keep this boy alive. But inside of me, not inside the field.

“You may think I’ve fallen too much, but the reality is I did not fall. I crumbled. And that hurts more than anyone stepping on your operated ankle.

“I took time to accept your criticism. I took time to look at myself in the mirror and become a new man. But now I’m here, with my heart wide open.

“I fell but only those who fall can get up. You can keep throwing rocks at me or you can throw your rocks away and help me get up because when I do get up, the whole country gets up with me.”
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Enugu II wrote:
DIVING SPECIALIST, NEYMAR, REPENTS, SAYS ‘AM NOW BORN AGAIN’
https://www.sportsvillagesquare.com/201 ... orn-again/
3 HOURS AGO
Twitter Facebook Google + Linkedin Comments

Following the heavy criticism for his actions during Brazil’s matches at the World Cup, Neymar appears to have repented.

The world’s most expensive footballer was always falling down at almost every body contact with him and was always play-acting while on the turf.

He has now admitted that he overreacted and has now looked at himself in the mirror and is now a new man.

He gave a refreshingly honest speech in a Gillette advert aired in Brazil, and also explained why he doesn’t always talk to the press.

“You may think I overreact, and sometimes I do,” said the Paris Saint-Germain star. “But the truth is I suffer on the pitch. You have no idea what I go through outside of it.

“When I leave without talking to the press, it’s not because I only like winning, it is because I still haven’t learned to disappoint you.

“When I look impolite, it is not because I am a spoiled kid, it is because I have not learned how to deal with my frustrations.

“There’s still a boy inside of me. Sometimes it dazzles the world. Other times, it pisses everyone off. And my fight is to keep this boy alive. But inside of me, not inside the field.

“You may think I’ve fallen too much, but the reality is I did not fall. I crumbled. And that hurts more than anyone stepping on your operated ankle.

“I took time to accept your criticism. I took time to look at myself in the mirror and become a new man. But now I’m here, with my heart wide open.

“I fell but only those who fall can get up. You can keep throwing rocks at me or you can throw your rocks away and help me get up because when I do get up, the whole country gets up with me.”
Neymar has hired a top PR agency to help clean up his image. Brand Neymar has taken a huge battering and it's value has fallen considerably.

The problem is, people tend to get cynical with PR moves like this. He has to act on the pitch to help clean up his image.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

I would rather a striker get nasty and hit back at defenders fouling him, heck bag red card,than a diving cheat rolling around like someone doing yoga exercise.