Re: Neymar Antics: Villain or Victim?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Genius or spoiled brat?

IMO, what is happening to Neymar in the media is the high tech lynching of an "uppity" South American footballer.

Much like it was done to Pele in 1966 albeit in a different era.

According to the majority of ENGLISH pundits, his hugging of the ball invites the fouls on him. They therefore conclude that he should change his style, be more like Ronaldo, so he doesn't get fouled.

My question is, why should Neymar change his style if it is successful for him and the teams he's played for?

Would this be the narrative if he was an English player?
Last edited by txj on Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Neymar Antics...

Post by txj »

neymar antics on Twitter

https://twitter.com/search/neymar+antics
Alan Shearer
(@alanshearer)
[tweet]FFS @neymarjr man. STOP IT. We are fed up of it. #BrazilvsMexico
[/tweet]
1 day ago · Twitter

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Re: Neymar Antics...

Post by oloye »

If he got wacked the way Pele was wacked it would take the president of Brasil to get him up. He is a spoilt brat. Jesus , Countinho and other stars all got kicked at some point in time,how come no one is complaining about them. What I cannot understand is that he was more matured 4 years ago than he seems to be now, maybe they should just hand over the captain's band to him.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote:Genius or spoiled brat?

IMO, what is happening to Neymar in the media is the high tech lynching of an "uppity" South American footballer.

According to the majority of ENGLISH pundits, his hugging of the ball invites the fouls on him. They therefore conclude that he should change his style, be more like Ronaldo, so he doesn't get fouled.

My question is, why should Neymar change his style if it is successful for him and the teams he's played for?

TBH,

I have been fed up with his antics for a while. It is just ridiculous. Imagine if just 30% of footballers act like the guy on the field. I bet some of his team mates would be fed up with his act.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:

TBH,

I have been fed up with his antics for a while. It is just ridiculous. Imagine if just 30% of footballers act like the guy on the field. I bet some of his team mates would be fed up with his act.

But how many footballers have his style? How many are fouled as much as he is and what was their reaction?

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Enugu II wrote:

TBH,

Well refs need to give him the Vic Mo treatment and not call it for him he'll eventually learn to stop diving. But defenders are out for him because of who he is and how he plays and so he probably feels that's the best way to protect himself is embellish every little contact, I no blame am, but other players can't get away with it because they are not him and won't be protected like him, I'm sure Vic Mo will attest to it.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

oloye wrote:If he got wacked the way Pele was wacked it would take the president of Brasil to get him up. He is a spoilt brat. Jesus , Countinho and other stars all got kicked at some point in time,how come no one is complaining about them. What I cannot understand is that he was more matured 4 years ago than he seems to be now, maybe they should just hand over the captain's band to him.

But are any of Jesus or Coutinho fouled as much as Neymar?

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

txj wrote:
oloye wrote:If he got wacked the way Pele was wacked it would take the president of Brasil to get him up. He is a spoilt brat. Jesus , Countinho and other stars all got kicked at some point in time,how come no one is complaining about them. What I cannot understand is that he was more matured 4 years ago than he seems to be now, maybe they should just hand over the captain's band to him.

Maybe because they were not trying to draw those fouls in the first place. Etebo was rough handled severally, for someone of his size he was not rolling around like someone who got hit by a truck.

Messi with a smaller stature has been fouled more ,the little wizard simply picks himself up and continues and where he gets fed up he gives back not roll around the floor like one that is demon possessed
Even Ronaldo who loves attention does not go this childish route.

It is not only the English media who are fed up with his clowning around...I am sure if we scour the social media we would find across the broad spectrum a consensus that says enough of the bitching around on the field.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

TBH,

But how many footballers have his style? How many are fouled as much as he is and what was their reaction?
He is fouled, no doubt but the theatrics are just ridiculous. For me, just over the top. I personally find it repulsive and care very little for it. I may be old school but that is just how I feel.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
guest83
Egg
Egg

Post by guest83 »

I have followed Neymar closely over the last few years. I'm suspecting he is suffering from some sort of mental disorder and possibly a substance abuse. Like the great Adriano.. it will all come out in due time I guess.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

maceo4 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

TBH,

Well refs need to give him the Vic Mo treatment and not call it for him he'll eventually learn to stop diving. But defenders are out for him because of who he is and how he plays and so he probably feels that's the best way to protect himself is embellish every little contact, I no blame am, but other players can't get away with it because they are not him and won't be protected like him, I'm sure Vic Mo will attest to it.
Moses is different.

I roughly estimate that 80-90% of the times Neymar falls down is during an interaction with a defender while receiving the ball with back to goal. Which suggests that he may not only be receiving kicks to his ankle, but equally taking evasive action (re dive) to avoid the contact.

If that be the case, should he then wait to be whacked before going down?

Someone said, Layun's thread on him was a gentle thread. But why thread on him in the first place?

Perhaps Neymar should not react until someone actually lands a 60-pound weight on that ankle!

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

oloye wrote:
txj wrote:

Maybe because they were not trying to draw those fouls in the first place. Etebo was rough handled severally, for someone of his size he was not rolling around like someone who got hit by a truck.

Messi with a smaller stature has been fouled more ,the little wizard simply picks himself up and continues and where he gets fed up he gives back not roll around the floor like one that is demon possessed
Even Ronaldo who loves attention does not go this childish route.

It is not only the English media who are fed up with his clowning around...I am sure if we scour the social media we would find across the broad spectrum a consensus that says enough of the bitching around on the field.
All I said is thanks to VAR we would not have to suffer the ridiculous from the guy as we saw in the Costa Rica game. Sometimes, I feel that when he earns a call unfairly that he smirks at the "mugu" who made the call and raises a finger behind him and under his breath he says "Gotcha" . :rotf: :rotf:
Last edited by Enugu II on Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

oloye wrote:
txj wrote:

The highlighted portion is precisely the point!

His teams use him to draw fouls and gain an advantage.

His Barcelona coach, Luis Enrique said that Neymar is a provocateur; an instigator. THAT IS HIS STYLE.

Should he now be made to be a victim of this?

If a European player had this style, would the English media establishment be saying the same thing?

And BTW, he is fouled more than Messi...
Last edited by txj on Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

guest83 wrote:I have followed Neymar closely over the last few years. I'm suspecting he is suffering from some sort of mental disorder and possibly a substance abuse. Like the great Adriano.. it will all come out in due time I guess.
:rotf: ok o....
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Re: Neymar Antics: Villain or Victim?

Post by txj »

Players like Dele Alli and Harry Kane are divers who simulate to get fav calls on PKs, etc.

Can it be said on the other hand that Neymar falls down or dives, or both, to draw attention to the fouls on him...?

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

txj wrote:
oloye wrote:
txj wrote:

His Barcelona coach, Luis Enrique said that Neymar is a provocateur; an instigator. THAT IS HIS STYLE.

If a European player had this style, would the English media establishment be saying the same thing?
But you assume only the English media are fed up with him....you have just done a mini poll here and most of the people who have responded so far have condemned his childish antics :D

If he wants to be used to draw fouls ,kudos to him,then he should man up and not *Nice Lady* around.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

oloye wrote:
txj wrote:
oloye wrote:
txj wrote:

But you assume only the English media are fed up with him....you have just done a mini poll here and most of the people who have responded so far have condemned his childish antics :D

If he wants to be used to draw fouls ,kudos to him,then he should man up and not nice lady around.
But as the rules of the game stand today, a foul is a foul; no?

By far the largest antagonists of Neymar are in the english speaking media...

Gerrard was diving well before Suarez ever crossed the english coast, yet he never got classified as a diver...
Last edited by txj on Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

txj wrote:Players like Dele Alli and Harry Kane are divers who simulate to get fav calls on PKs, etc.

Can it be said on the other hand that Neymar falls down or dives, or both, to draw attention to the fouls on him...?
Did you see the gun shot dive that conned the ref into awarding a penalty which uncle VAR overturned. A dive is a dive my bro. He dives too.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

oloye wrote:
txj wrote:Players like Dele Alli and Harry Kane are divers who simulate to get fav calls on PKs, etc.

Did you see the gun shot dive that conned the ref into awarding a penalty which uncle VAR overturned. A dive is a dive my bro. He dives too.

He was actually pulled. Its just that it wasn't sufficient to earn a PK. That is probably why a simulation foul was not called against him and he did not get a YC..
Last edited by txj on Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

txj wrote:
oloye wrote:
txj wrote:
oloye wrote:
txj wrote:

If he wants to be used to draw fouls ,kudos to him,then he should man up and not nice lady around.

Gerrard was diving well before Suarez ever crossed the english coast, yet he never got classified as a diver...
We are not denying that he was fouled, that gentle raking on his ankle by the Mexican hombre was a foul,but the reaction was straight out of Bollywood because it was a terrible attempt at acting like one who just got shot.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

oloye wrote:
txj wrote:
oloye wrote:
txj wrote:

A lot of us are influenced by the media, even without knowing it. Almost 100% of the media comments about him, b/4, during and after the game was negative.

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

txj wrote:
oloye wrote:

He was actually fouled. Its just that it wasn't sufficient to earn a PK. That is probably why a simulation foul was not called against him and he did not get a YC..
I thought a foul in box either earns a penalty or it is not deemed a foul. Oga txj, just give this one up...I like Neymar but he needs to grow up. The Neymar of 2014 was a more matured serious baller compared to this clown.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

oloye wrote:
txj wrote:
oloye wrote:
txj wrote:
oloye wrote:
txj wrote:

We are not denying that he was fouled, that gentle raking on his ankle by the Mexican hombre was a foul,but the reaction was straight out of Bollywood because it was a terrible attempt at acting like one who just got shot.
Yeah, that raking was so gentle he even put a rose flower next to it :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

This is a guy whose career was nearly ended in last WC!