Colombians at it again-players threatened

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Colombians at it again-players threatened

Post by oloye »

[World Cup 2018: Colombian players who missed penalties against England receive death threats from angry fans] https://va.newsrepublic.net/s/QjrsU
World Cup 2018: Colombian players who missed penalties against England receive death threats from angry fans

The Independent

July 4, 2018 4:04 pm

Follow

Colombians called for calm last night after two players who missed penalties against England suffered insults and threats from furious fans on social media.

Messages targeting Mateus Uribe and Carlos Bacca started to appear within minutes of Colombia being knocked out of the World Cup following the dramatic shootout.

Uribe’s penalty hit the crossbar while Bacca’s attempt was saved by England goalkeeper Jordan Pickford.

England's Jordan Pickford stops Colombia's Carlos Bacca's shot during the penalty shootout (Getty)

The posts, mostly aimed at Bacca, who fans thought took the worse penalty, warned the players they were “dead”, urged them to kill themselves and told them not to return to the South American country.

The sinister messages were made despite a police investigation into early death threats made towards Colombian player Carlos Sanchez after he was sent off three minutes into the team’s World Cup opener against Japan.

Many outraged football fans pointed out that yesterday was the 24th anniversary of the death of Andres Escobar, who was shot dead after his own goal was blamed for sending Colombia home at the 1994 World Cup.

Mateus Uribe reacts after missing to score a penalty kick next to England's goalkeeper Jordan Pickford (AFP/Getty Images)

One post by Twitter user David Castaneda warned: “Die Carlos Bacca. Son of a *Nice Lady*. No-one wants you, gonorrhoea. To this country you don’t return.”

Another, Jhon Duqueismo, wrote: “Thank you to all the players, except to three-time son of a *Nice Lady*, useless, dead, Carlos Bacca. Don’t come back here.”

HumorFPCosky wrote: “I hate you Carlos Bacca, I hate all of you, I hate your indifference, your animal surname, and your #$%’s game. You’re worse than a cancer, at least with cancer you can go to a doctor and find out what you have.

“Carlos Bacca, get depressed and kill yourself, so you don’t continue living this agony.”

Colombia players react after losing a penalty shootout against England (EPA)

Patricio wrote: “Uribe, you are a piece of s***, I hope you die.”

Another user, INFINITO wrote: “That was Mateus Uribe’s last game, that man is already dead.”

Wilson.Gomes wrote: “Get out of the country or the drugs cartels will eat you alive, you DISGRACE”

One Twitter user, victorzamo01, wrote: “*kindperson* bacca I hope that you die.”

Another, Amro_maldini posted a picture of drug lord Pablo Escobar on Carlos Bacca’s Twitter account and the words “you are next”.

ITV pundits celebrate after England beat Colombia in World Cup last 16 clash

But other Colombian fans expressed their shock at the cruel messages.

Brayan Sanchez wrote: “Don’t wish for the death of Bacca and Uribe. Do we wish to repeat what happened to Andres Escobar? Is this Colombia? Games are won and lost, we are a real country.”

Another, Lois Lane, said: “The anniversary of the death of Andres Escobar and you are calling for the death of Bacca. I’m sorry, I can’t stand such s*** people. Get out of my timeline.”

And MoreJuanSe wrote: “Now they start to insult and threaten Uribe and Bacca. Yesterday was the 24th anniversary of the death of Andres Escobar, please, please! Let’s learn how to lose as well.”

Escobar, 27, was gunned down by a gangland figure 10 days after his mistake against the US knocked Colombia out of the World Cup hosted in the USA.

Hours before the showdown with England in Moscow, Escobar’s brother, Sachi, told of his fears another player could be killed if Colombia failed to get through to the quarter-finals, warning the country “had not learned the lessons” of the tragedy.

He said: “I want to send an important message to those people who think things can be resolved with violence, and with weapons, that they can take someone’s life just because they make a mistake, in this case the life of a football player.

“Football should be a vehicle of peace and social transformation, and at the end of the day, it is just a game.

“But I truly hope that, if Colombia failed to meet these expectations, then the tragedy that happened to my brother doesn’t repeat itself. God forbid that it happens again.”

England manager Gareth Southgate celebrates with England's Eric Dier after he scores the winning penalty (PA)

And he said of the death threats made against Sanchez: “As a brother who has gone through this, I know what must be going through their heads, and I wouldn’t want anyone to go through that.

“Carlos must be feeling both sad for the mistake he made, and very afraid, and his family too.

“My brother never received any threats, they just shot him dead in the most cowardly way.

“The fact that people are still allowed to say these things on social network sites, even threaten him with death... shows me that nothing good came out of Andres’ death, nothing was learned.

“These people are just lowlifes who are not real Colombian football fans, who should be arrested and thrown into jail.”
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Colombians at it again-players threatened

Post by Odas »

Personally, I am NOT surprised. It happened before to a player of theirs who scored an "own goal" in a World cup game (I forgot the name of the player and year). Thus, I am not surprised at all. In fact, I knew such will happen.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Odas wrote:Personally, I am NOT surprised. It happened before to a player of theirs who scored an "own goal" in a World cup game (I forgot the name of the player and year). Thus, I am not surprised at all. In fact, I knew such will happen.
The player was Escobar...it happened 24 years ago at the US94...damn 24 years already.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

When you step up to the spot for Colombia, you know what’s at stake.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...why are they not threatening the star player 'Hames' who did not play. They are bunch of mofos :boo:
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

mcal wrote:...why are they not threatening the star player 'Hames' who did not play. They are bunch of mofos :boo:
and why would it makes sense to you to threaten someone who couldn't play.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

As bad as this is..., and I'm in no way condoning it.
It is still not as bad as kidnapping your captain's dad hours before a crucial game.

Yeah, I know, I know, I'm comparing two wrongs and all...
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Kabalega wrote:As bad as this is..., and I'm in no way condoning it.
It is still not as bad as kidnapping your captain's dad hours before a crucial game.

Yeah, I know, I know, I'm comparing two wrongs and all...
The Columbia case has a history to it and a fatal one for that matter. it's direct bodily harm to players.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

They didn’t even play particularly well to start with,they lost to Japan (who of cause where brilliant) then they beat s Poland team everyone should beat before struggling against Senegal so it’s not as if they where going to do anything of note and it’s pointless betting on a team just because they represent your nation (that’s assuming it’s a reason to want to kill someone).
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Odas wrote:Personally, I am NOT surprised. It happened before to a player of theirs who scored an "own goal" in a World cup game (I forgot the name of the player and year). Thus, I am not surprised at all. In fact, I knew such will happen.
So after reading the post from Egbon Oloye, you still had to tell us it's happened before and not only that but you forgot the name of the player? :shock: :rotf: Eeeeiiiiii
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!