Odegbami's Post-World Cup Criticism

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

niyi
Egg
Egg
Odegbami's Post-World Cup Criticism

Post by niyi »

The Super Eagles took their foot off the throttle when they needed to do the opposite. They gave the Argentines the gas the South Americans needed badly to rev up their ‘coughing’ engines. And the Nigerians paid the ultimate price of their inexperience and lack of technical depth on the bench.

Many stakeholders in the Nigerian football family came with agenda not unconnected with the elections into the NFF board coming up in September 2018. An inevitable political game has begun. Competing groups and camps were playing out scripts that will credit or discredit the present regime. The Super Eagles team was my principal focus and concern. From my observation, the team could not have been better treated. Morale was high and all needs were met. The players had a great relationship with the NFF leadership.

Technically, with what I saw during the matches in Russia, it is my humble submission that the Super Eagles were just not good enough yet for the goals and high expectations hung around their young shoulders. They are a team of the future. I am not so sure any more if Gernot Rohr is the right man to take the team to the next level. His earlier claims cannot be taken as gospel anymore. The evidence before me questions his suitability even though it cannot be conclusive. At the most crucial time in Russia, he did not do what everyone expected him to do.

Pinnick Amaju did his best for the Nigerian team. The players matter the most and in that regard, he scores very highly. No previous Chairman that I know of has been as meticulous and clinical in the small details and attention paid to the welfare of the players. As a young, experienced and ambitious man riding on the crest of African football administration, he has a lot to learn as well as to give to Nigerian football from his vintage positions in CAF and FIFA.
https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/o ... -answered/
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
asabatex
Egg
Egg
Re: Odegbami's Post-World Cup Criticism

Post by asabatex »

Rohr must go - he is incompetent.
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

asabatex wrote:Rohr must go - he is incompetent.
He is competent, but not the World Cup level that we want, I will give him the 2019 ANC, before I decide whether we keep him or sack him.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

niyi wrote:
The Super Eagles took their foot off the throttle when they needed to do the opposite. They gave the Argentines the gas the South Americans needed badly to rev up their ‘coughing’ engines. And the Nigerians paid the ultimate price of their inexperience and lack of technical depth on the bench.

Many stakeholders in the Nigerian football family came with agenda not unconnected with the elections into the NFF board coming up in September 2018. An inevitable political game has begun. Competing groups and camps were playing out scripts that will credit or discredit the present regime. The Super Eagles team was my principal focus and concern. From my observation, the team could not have been better treated. Morale was high and all needs were met. The players had a great relationship with the NFF leadership.

Technically, with what I saw during the matches in Russia, it is my humble submission that the Super Eagles were just not good enough yet for the goals and high expectations hung around their young shoulders. They are a team of the future. I am not so sure any more if Gernot Rohr is the right man to take the team to the next level. His earlier claims cannot be taken as gospel anymore. The evidence before me questions his suitability even though it cannot be conclusive. At the most crucial time in Russia, he did not do what everyone expected him to do.

Pinnick Amaju did his best for the Nigerian team. The players matter the most and in that regard, he scores very highly. No previous Chairman that I know of has been as meticulous and clinical in the small details and attention paid to the welfare of the players. As a young, experienced and ambitious man riding on the crest of African football administration, he has a lot to learn as well as to give to Nigerian football from his vintage positions in CAF and FIFA.
https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/o ... -answered/
niyi, I doubt i can ever take you seriously on this forum. You chose to relax your mind after watching a cat predict a win vs Argentina..How can a man like you choose to fall for animals predicting matches .. you well so?
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

realtrouble wrote:
asabatex wrote:Rohr must go - he is incompetent.
He is competent, but not the World Cup level that we want, I will give him the 2019 ANC, before I decide whether we keep him or sack him.
If sacking a coach is an option do it now or you’ll run into the situation again,2 years isn’t enough time do much,you need to know what you want from a coach to start with.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

This ranting about firing Rohr is getting too one dimensional.
Ok, so Rohr is fired. Who should be appointed next, and what guaranties come with the new coach.

In a very subjective endeavor, I find the many arguments based on presumed certainties quite stretching.
What we need is a set-up that endures the test of time. We cannot get to that without a solid foundation.
Unfortunately, most are eagerly hoping to win it all without the building blocks that could lead to that.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

joao wrote:This ranting about firing Rohr is getting too one dimensional.
Ok, so Rohr is fired. Who should be appointed next, and what guaranties come with the new coach.

In a very subjective endeavor, I find the many arguments based on presumed certainties quite stretching.
What we need is a set-up that endures the test of time. We cannot get to that without a solid foundation.
Unfortunately, most are eagerly hoping to win it all without the building blocks that could lead to that.

:lol: :lol: :lol: why bother asking these kin questions? All that matters is HE MUST BE FIRED!!!! :D

Compare this to their Nigerian opponents. With all the ‘noise’ of loving the game like a religion, Nigeria went to Russia with a brigade of supporters 500-strong, with many of them joining the team to escape the country and become economic refugees. Add to that number another 500 officials and foreigners supporting the team. That is their own demonstration of faith in their team to win the World Cup.
Smh..

They will soon start abusing Odegbami too :lol:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

joao wrote:This ranting about firing Rohr is getting too one dimensional.

Kpom. It's pretty annoying to me when I see people calling for his firing without having any suggested replacements. Every time we do this, we've ended up looking back at the good old days with nostalgia. I don't think firing is necessarily a bad thing if the next guy is truly right for the job. The Senegalese FA for example made the right move by replacing a defensive minded German coach called Peter Schnittger with Bruno Metsu. He brought more tactical balance to their golden generation of players. After the SE beat them in 2000 in much the similar manner we lost to Argentina in Russia, the same SE were unable to beat the Metsu-led lions who were playing with 10 men 2 years later. They still attacked and scored against us whenever they needed a goal.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Mathematical Odegbami --- dis man still dey alive?

There are few Naija players that my father still talks about: Goalkeeper Okala & Mathematical Odegbami
My dad (who married a Nigerian) thinks Kanu, Okocha, Amunike, Yekini etc are all fake
Last edited by Rawlings on Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Rohr has to go. He was good for the qualification against African Opponents.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

I am not so sure any more if Gernot Rohr is the right man to take the team to the next level. His earlier claims cannot be taken as gospel anymore. The evidence before me questions his suitability even though it cannot be conclusive. At the most crucial time in Russia, he did not do what everyone expected him to do.
Odegbami
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Any Naija WC criticism that does not criticize the cradle is incomplete. A lot is wrong with Naija soccer, period!! And I will continue to point this out! Twenty Zidane/Mourinho/SAF/Klopp cannot do more than Rohr has done in Nigeria. Not even thousands of Siasia! Anybody can quote me on this and take it to the bank!!

I have gone back to watch our WC matches (the ones that are important like 1994/1998/2014/2018) and we just lack the fundamentals. We are psychologically inept on the field of play. It is worrisome! And in all honesty? We have sorely regressed. Our problem is not at the SE coaching level but before it...way before it. Something is wrong with our football and the way we think on and off the field of play.

Is this not the same Naija team that has continuously missed ANCs? Come on man! The same Naija that cannot boast of a formidable striker? Come on, son!! We are in trouble!
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Ex-national coach Berti Vogts suggests the DFB unconventional ways to draw the right conclusions from the World Cup debacle in Russia. "It makes no sense to make any snap shots now", said the European champion-maker of 1996 in an interview with the Rheinische Post: "It would make sense to embrace the knowledge of experts. Why not invite Jürgen Klopp, David Wagner, Gernot Rohr and others to an exchange in the association headquarters and listen to their opinions? "

https://sportbild.bild.de/fifa-wm-2018/ ... sport.html
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

kolinzo wrote:Any Naija WC criticism that does not criticize the cradle is incomplete. A lot is wrong with Naija soccer, period!! And I will continue to point this out!
Twenty Zidane/Mourinho/SAF/Klopp cannot do more than Rohr has done in Nigeria.
Not even thousands of Siasia! Anybody can quote me on this and take it to the bank!!

I have gone back to watch our WC matches (the ones that are important like 1994/1998/2014/2018) and we just lack the fundamentals. We are psychologically inept on the field of play. It is worrisome! And in all honesty? We have sorely regressed. Our problem is not at the SE coaching level but before it...way before it.
Something is wrong with our football and the way we think on and off the field of play.

Is this not the same Naija team that has continuously missed ANCs? Come on man! The same Naija that cannot boast of a formidable striker? Come on, son!! We are in trouble!
Thanks for the highlighted kolinzo.
:clap: :agree: :clap: :agree: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Our problem surely starts before coaching, and I want to indict some of the fans in this.
We overhype too many of our players, without considerations for what the individual brings
to the national team with regards football competence, intelligence, and psychological composure.
Take for example a current SE player who scores here and there, but posses minimal awareness of
team play. In short, he is quite detached from the team on and off the pitch, and acts as if playing
for himself. This guy scores a goal and many claim he is this and that. Another, quite a hard worker
but does not know when not to shoot, yet being given much hype for past instances of pure luck.

Until we understand that the making of a complete player is beyond mere ball jugglers, hustlers, and
occasional lucky tap-in or long range 'bulala' goals, we will continue to suffer disappointments like what
we had in Russia.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

kolinzo wrote:Any Naija WC criticism that does not criticize the cradle is incomplete. A lot is wrong with Naija soccer, period!! And I will continue to point this out! Twenty Zidane/Mourinho/SAF/Klopp cannot do more than Rohr has done in Nigeria. Not even thousands of Siasia! Anybody can quote me on this and take it to the bank!!

I have gone back to watch our WC matches (the ones that are important like 1994/1998/2014/2018) and we just lack the fundamentals. We are psychologically inept on the field of play. It is worrisome! And in all honesty? We have sorely regressed. Our problem is not at the SE coaching level but before it...way before it. Something is wrong with our football and the way we think on and off the field of play.

I disagree. Its not the losses that was troubling its the style of play on the field. Its like they were stuck in a defensive formation and stayed there for 90min against Argentina. There were glimpses of that against Croatia and Iceland as well. It sort of leaves a sour taste and makes one wonder if this if that. You play to your team's strength and this Naija team's strength was not defense yet the coach put that formation forward with the wrong personnel to boot.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Pinnick is politically savvy sha. Good for him.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Thus some people used the opportunity to elope, eh? Wow!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...you need psychiatric help... :idea:
kolinzo wrote:Any Naija WC criticism that does not criticize the cradle is incomplete. A lot is wrong with Naija soccer, period!! And I will continue to point this out! Twenty Zidane/Mourinho/SAF/Klopp cannot do more than Rohr has done in Nigeria. Not even thousands of Siasia! Anybody can quote me on this and take it to the bank!!

asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

Bye-bye..... :D
txj wrote:Ex-national coach Berti Vogts suggests the DFB unconventional ways to draw the right conclusions from the World Cup debacle in Russia. "It makes no sense to make any snap shots now", said the European champion-maker of 1996 in an interview with the Rheinische Post: "It would make sense to embrace the knowledge of experts. Why not invite Jürgen Klopp, David Wagner, Gernot Rohr and others to an exchange in the association headquarters and listen to their opinions? "

https://sportbild.bild.de/fifa-wm-2018/ ... sport.html
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

oscar52 wrote:

I disagree. Its not the losses that was troubling its the style of play on the field. Its like they were stuck in a defensive formation and stayed there for 90min against Argentina. There were glimpses of that against Croatia and Iceland as well. It sort of leaves a sour taste and makes one wonder if this if that. You play to your team's strength and this Naija team's strength was not defense yet the coach put that formation forward with the wrong personnel to boot.
Hindsight is 20/20, sir. The style of play has little to nothing on why we lost that game. I don't want to go into how we lost it on the field because we will debate that till thy kingdom comes. The fact is we have seen this movie [losing to Argentina] before, on numerous occasions.

Allow me to digress a little bit. USA vs Ghana as an example. Ghana tormented USA is two consecutive WCs but guess what happened? USA was fed up and started working tirelessly, both physically and mentally, to defeat Ghana. Guess what? They defeated Ghana in their last meetings in a game titled Gone in 60 Secs.

So, what did Naija do to make sure Argentina didn't beat for the fifth time?? Absolutely nothing! You see, besides, you can read from Naija players' body language that they didn't feel confident. Once you feel inferior you are most likely going to lose the match. Once you feel the refs are cheating you are most likely going to lose the match. The players mentally checked out of the game once Argentina started swarming in like hungry bees. And that costed us the game. We are just not mentally strong.
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Rawlings wrote:Mathematical Odegbami --- dis man still dey alive?

There are few Naija players that my father still talks about: Goalkeeper Okala & Mathematical Odegbami
My dad (who married a Nigerian) thinks Kanu, Okocha, Amunike, Yekini etc are all fake
I'm surprised he still doesn't know you're fake yourself. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "