LET'S TALK ABOUT THE HANDBALL AGAIN!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

gosh
Egg
Egg
LET'S TALK ABOUT THE HANDBALL AGAIN!

Post by gosh »

Nigeria vs. Argentina:

[/video]

Russia vs. Spain:

[/video]

In both cases, the culprit players' hands were not in a natural position.
Also, none of them appears to have intentionally touched the ball.
In fact, in Pique's case, his back was actually against the ball, so how was that called (with a yellow card), but the one against Argentina for SE was not called even after video review?
FIFA really needs some consistency in the application of the rules.
Whatever you are chasing is also chasing you!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: LET'S TALK ABOUT THE HANDBALL AGAIN!

Post by maceo4 »

Look at it this way, Pique’s hand actually stopped a goal bound shot, Rojo actually presented Ighalo with a scoring opportunity. He was heading the ball out of harms way but inadvertently hit his hand and landed for Ighalo to just accept the gift and put them out of their misery, but he threw it away and then begged for another gift. That said it’s at the discretion of the ref and both situations to me are not really equivalent .
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

maceo4 wrote:Look at it this way, Pique’s hand actually stopped a goal bound shot, Rojo actually presented Ighalo with a scoring opportunity. He was heading the ball out of harms way but inadvertently hit his hand and landed for Ighalo to just accept the gift and put them out of their misery, but he threw it away and then begged for another gift. That said it’s at the discretion of the ref and both situations to me are not really equivalent .

KPOM.

man the more I think about it the more that wastepipe Ighalo angers me.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

maceo4 wrote:Look at it this way, Pique’s hand actually stopped a goal bound shot, Rojo actually presented Ighalo with a scoring opportunity. He was heading the ball out of harms way but inadvertently hit his hand and landed for Ighalo to just accept the gift and put them out of their misery, but he threw it away and then begged for another gift. That said it’s at the discretion of the ref and both situations to me are not really equivalent .
**shakes head**

That was a penalty - it doesnt matter what Ighalo did.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

It's a stonewall penalty.
But for Ighalo getting a gift-horse shot on goal... I really can't blame the referee for not giving it, but it's the first I've heard that 'advantage play' on a penalty call is an option.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

We are out yawl. Looking at it a billion times will change nada
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

I'm inordinately perplexed why the feckless and incompetent coach kept featuring Misses Ighalo in spite of his glaring weakness non scoring striker. Siasia was the first person that indicated a long time ago Misses Ighalo is not reliable thus should not be playing for Nigeria . But the dense coach who could not even discern between good and bad striker was so incompetent to tell..
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Cristao II wrote:
**shakes head**

That was a penalty - it doesnt matter what Ighalo did.
it wasn't!!!
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Rojo assult on Ihenacho was a more legit PK claim. Oh well if Misses Igahlo had done what he was paid to do that would have been an afterthought.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

Losing leads to nightmare. The OP replaying the game in his head over and over :scared:
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

The only ire i feel from watching that scene is towards Ighalo...honestly, we had a better chance of scoring from the Ighalo chance than the penalty. :curse: :curse: :curse:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

pajimoh wrote:We are out yawl. Looking at it a billion times will change nada
... though it is clearly a penalty to me, but I agree with you - Pajimoh
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

bret- hart wrote:Rojo assult on Ihenacho was a more legit PK claim. Oh well if Misses Igahlo had done what he was paid to do that would have been an afterthought.
What pisses me off even now is: Why do we always lose to Argentina - when it matters most? Why? We came to the game and seemed scared of them.

Menh, beg make I comot here
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

....hand ball on Rojo, but Ighalo screwed up. He should play to the whistle, but has already conceded mentally that it was handle reason why he skewered the easy shot.
olumide
Egg
Egg

Post by olumide »

bret- hart wrote:Rojo assult on Ihenacho was a more legit PK claim. Oh well if Misses Igahlo had done what he was paid to do that would have been an afterthought.
Definitely. That would have 100% been a foul anywhere else on the pitch. You are not allowed to put your boot that high and pull people down like Rojo did.

The handball was not a penalty. It was clearly unintentional, they gained no advantage, and the arm was not in an unnatural position for someone jumping for a header. Pique looked like he was playing basketball and blocked a goal-bound shot. This is why it was called a penalty.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

mcal wrote:....hand ball on Rojo, but Ighalo screwed up. He should play to the whistle, but has already conceded mentally that it was handle reason why he skewered the easy shot.
I don't know about all that, it seemed more like he looked for the PK AFTER the weight of the miss dawned on him. He looked completely concentrated to score the gift, but the Misses will always be the Misses...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

We were shouted down when we mentioned Ighalo was not good enough to lead the Nigerian attack we were insulted called know nothings , football illiterates etc etc . Every bodies eye come clear. The mistakes made bring in Ighalo for Nacho leaving Iwobi on the bench. When Arg we’re beaten 9ja did it without Ighalo and Moses. Why are we bitching about the award of a pen. We should have score from open play against. Nacho should done much better in the first half.

We have now to fine a prolific striker .......
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Rohr should just follow Ighalo to China. Preferably, his club so that he can field him as often as he wants.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

the world cup is rigged....might as well call it the euro/south american cup.....
the african cup of nations is more important to me than this rubbish.....
“If this year, you cannot compete with Spurs, with all the respect I have for them, and Leicester, then change your sport. I’m sorry.” Emmanuel Petit

"I didn't buy Arsenal stake to win trophies" Kroneke