How we have to navigate the 2022 World Cup qualifiers

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
How we have to navigate the 2022 World Cup qualifiers

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] When we start playing, we will play one match at every Fifa window, compared with the two that Uefa and Conmebol teams play
[2] This means they are better prepared than us. We thus need to try and match them by playing two games every window
[3] Basically, they are uncovering more players than us. One game does not allow us enough leeway to try out new players. As we know, Rohr is always reluctant to try out fresh legs, which is why Uwua Echeijile played in virtually all the games
[4] As for me, I believe the best bit of scouting we saw was during the friendly against DR Congo. That same week we played Atletico Madrid with the B Team, that uncovered some good talent. Unfortunately, it was too late to incorporate them into the World Cup squad
[5] What I will suggest is that come the 2022 qualifiers, whenever we have a game on Saturday, it should be followed up with a B team match on the Tuesday
[6] Luckily, by the time we get to the group stages, most Africans teams will be out, so they will be available for friendlies
[7] Take the last qualifiers for instance, Togo, Benin, Libya, Rwanda, Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Lesotho, Niger, Burundi, Kenya, Mozambique, etc were all out and would have all provided good opposition from the B team
[8] Come the 2022 qualifiers, Ghana would probably be out by the time we get to the group stage. They would make a great opponent for our B team
[9] I actually hope Caf make this mandatory for all of its teams, so they are well prepared for the World Cup
[10] Just imagine how many young talents the B team can uncover. It will probably the way the incorporate the youngsters into the team too.