Chxta shared this story on Twitter. is it true?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Chxta shared this story on Twitter. is it true?

Post by AreaDaddy »

@Chxta
In the 1990s there was a youth football team that went to a tournament in Belgium. They were knocked out in round 1.

Coming home, they bought a trophy at the airport, and claimed they won, and Nigerians partied.

This is worse, because back then, people couldn't verify...
This is the first time I have heard this story. What team was this and what tournament does any one know.
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Chxta shared this story on Twitter. is it true?

Post by Tbite »

Sounds like something Arsenal would do.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

AreaDaddy wrote:
@Chxta
In the 1990s there was a youth football team that went to a tournament in Belgium. They were knocked out in round 1.

Coming home, they bought a trophy at the airport, and claimed they won, and Nigerians partied.

This is the first time I have heard this story. What team was this and what tournament does any one know.

It’s ignorance on his part. It’s playing to the gallery.
OCCUPY NFF!!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

never heard of this. We shouldn't be too quick to give ourselves a bad name. If it did happen, it doesn't mean it's the norm
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Credibility on check!!!
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Do they even sell trophies at airports?
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

AreaDaddy wrote:
@Chxta

It's true, the team was from/or named Obrubra. They were sponsored to a tournament in Europe by their state government. They did not win the tournament and decided to buy a trophy and presented it to the State government as evidence that they won.
It was the days before the internet and it was a journalist through agency reports that discovered the ruse.
I am happy
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

pajimoh wrote:never heard of this. We shouldn't be too quick to give ourselves a bad name. If it did happen, it doesn't mean it's the norm

Another story about Nigeria cheating that has pajimoh minimizing it. That is a norm on CE in the last 10yrs!!!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

If I remember correctly, they got to the tournament late and were not allowed to participate.
In view of the huge expenditure that it cost the State government, they decided to buy a trophy and present it to the State Governor as the winning trophy.
They were scared of the repercussions of wasting government funds.
I am happy
kendo
Egg
Egg

Post by kendo »

Dammy wrote:If I remember correctly, they got to the tournament late and were not allowed to participate.
In view of the huge expenditure that it cost the State government, they decided to buy a trophy and present it to the State Governor as the winning trophy.
They were scared of the repercussions of wasting government funds.
:lol: :lol:
Anyone that can fry 3 sets of plantain without putting any in their mouth can keep a secret.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

txj wrote:
pajimoh wrote:never heard of this. We shouldn't be too quick to give ourselves a bad name. If it did happen, it doesn't mean it's the norm

Another story about Nigeria cheating that has pajimoh minimizing it. That is a norm on CE in the last 10yrs!!!
I was hoping to draw you out. How many other teams have left the shores of NIgeria, came back with nothing or something without having to a trophy at the airport?

Your problem is you keep using "we", "our", "us" and making suggestion but your sorry f3ck1ng arse is stuck abroad somewhere. Why don't you go and make a difference?

There was a guy who ran a marathon. On the way he slipped into the crowd and close to the end resurfaced and rejoin the race close to the leaders. His story is not the story of marathon or his country is it? If every time someone did something wrong and it become the story of a people then I have an issue with that.

Your problem is you don't ask the people who do wrong to accept responsibility for their action. You use their wrong to tarnish others.

I don't have to group everyone in the same boat the way you do to show I'm against wrong doing.

Please get your * lips off my knob and stop following me about on the internet. Make your point without reference to me, biko
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

pajimoh wrote:
txj wrote:

I was hoping to draw you out. How many other teams have left the shores of NIgeria, came back with nothing or something without having to a trophy at the airport?

Your problem is you keep using "we", "our", "us" and making suggestion but your sorry f3ck1ng arse is stuck abroad somewhere. Why don't you go and make a difference?

There was a guy who ran a marathon. On the way he slipped into the crowd and close to the end resurfaced and rejoin the race close to the leaders. His story is not the story of marathon or his country is it? If every time someone did something wrong and it become the story of a people then I have an issue with that.

Your problem is you don't ask the people who do wrong to accept responsibility for their action. You use their wrong to tarnish others.

I don't have to group everyone in the same boat the way you do to show I'm against wrong doing.

Please get your * lips off my knob and stop following me about on the internet. Make your point without reference to me, biko
You seem upset. Calm down bro...

Were you also looking to draw me out 10yrs ago when u were similarly minimizing cheating by the U-17 team?

Ur problem here is ur lack of intelligence. There's a common theme between age issue and the fake trophy issue- cheating and winning by any means possible.

Nigeria has a pattern of cheating at the youth level, and the history of our youth football is rife with it. That is in part our story.

We should not wish it away or seek to minimize or justify it as you have been shown to do in the last decade on this site...

Stop condoning cheating! It makes u an enabler....

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

txj wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
txj wrote:

You seem upset. Calm down bro...

Were you also looking to draw me out 10yrs ago when u were similarly minimizing cheating by the U-17 team?

Ur problem here is ur lack of intelligence. There's a common theme between age issue and the fake trophy issue- cheating and winning by any means possible.

Nigeria has a pattern of cheating at the youth level, and the history of our youth football is rife with it. That is in part our story.

We should not wish it away or seek to minimize or justify it as you have been shown to do in the last decade on this site...

Stop condoning cheating! It makes u an enabler....
Of course I'm upset and you're being an effing angel*. You keep going on about I condon cheating. It seems to have a different opinion from you lil providing proof, is condoning age cheats.

Please. I don't subscribe to accusation without proof and never will. You can make all the noise you want. You're a decking cvnt in my book because you think you know more than everyone else and if they don't agree with you or express a different opinion then they are condoning chssting.
Meanwhile you cannot show a single post of mine, in all my 10 years or more on this site, where I agree with age cheats.
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

before you guys start your usual lovers tiff... :D
has it been confirmed that this story is true??
This sounds like one of those typical rumours that Nigerians love to spread...
YNWA
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

It did happen, even though i cannot remember the full details. It was one of those YSFON competitions. Back in the 70s and 80s the nation used to participate in these competitions like crazy. Football and handball teams fly out for these competitions on a yearly basis, until corruption reared its ugly head as usual.

This one was a big scandal which hit the news back then...I am knocking my head, the details are flashing around because i happen to know one or two names involved. Where is megapro when you need him?
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

I watched one of those youth tournaments that YSFON participated in, in Sweden back then. This team had Fatai Atere or Victor Igbinoba in it, I think....

I am still embarrassed just remembering it. We are serial cheats...