Mario Mandzukic - One man pressing crew

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Mario Mandzukic - One man pressing crew

Post by kajifu »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Cally wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
cic old boy wrote:Image

this guy was available during the same transfer window and at the same price as Welbeck....Arsenal chose Welbeck!

Can you imagine Mandzukic and Alexis Sanchez pressing opponents all over the pitch?
You have this same story for every player that shines these days. Its getting old, and Wenger has left the building.

Cally, shine your eyes and re-read. I didnt mention Wenger in my post. Rather, it is about the one that got away from ARSENAL. He has been, and is still performing at top level, for Juve and Croatia, so the story isn't old.

In that transfer window, three strikers were available for approximately the same price....Welbeck, Mandzukic and Balotelli. I recall AW was on vacation in France, probably with no intent to sign anyone at the deadline, but someone pulled the trigger and signed Welbeck.
Chief its Wenger work,so you want to believe he was on holiday and the club choose Welbeck over the other two?Wenger sanction the deal and prefer Welbeck no shame in that.
Thank God he is gone,hopefully we are about to turn the corner just like we did when Wenger first arrived at beloved
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Exactly. On what planet is Mandzukic (a slow but workaholic target man with aerial threat) similar to Boksic (a slick speedster with Ferrari pace)?! :shock:

I daresay: if Yugoslavia had not broken up they would probably have won 1-2 World Cups (at least) by now. Probably the best team to have never won the WC:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=256596&hilit=yugoslavia
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=174830&hilit=yugoslavia
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=101504&hilit=yugoslavia

cic old boy wrote:
Goldleaf wrote:Mario Mandzukic - What a player!

He left Bayern Munich as soon as Pep Guardiola arrived there and started some rotation policy. At 32, he remains as deadly as ever. He reminds me of another amazing Croat striking legend, Alen Boksic. Only God knows the depth of talent in that tiny country that produced Robert Prosinecki, Zvonimir Boban and Goran Vlaovic. It remains a puzzle that Yugoslavia never won the World Cup, but tiny Croatia are now at the cusp.
He is only similar to Boksic in size. Boksic had pace, was very skillful and elegant. Mario is more of a bruiser and workhorse.
Last edited by wiseone on Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bouncer
Egg
Egg

Post by Bouncer »

wiseone wrote:Exactly. On what planet is Mandzukic (a slow but workaholic target man with aerial threat) similar to Boksic (a slick speedster with Ferrari pace)?! :shock:

I daresay: if Yugoslavia had not broken up they would probably have won 1-2 World Cups (at least) by now. Probably the best team to have never won the WC:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=256596&hilit=yugoslavia
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=174830&hilit=yugoslavia
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=101504&hilit=yugoslavia

cic old boy wrote:
Goldleaf wrote:Mario Mandzukic - What a player!

He left Bayern Munich as soon as Pep Guardiola arrived there and started some rotation policy. At 32, he remains as deadly as ever. He reminds me of another amazing Croat striking legend, Alen Boksic. Only God knows the depth of talent in that tiny country that produced Robert Prosinecki, Zvonimir Boban and Goran Vlaovic. It remains a puzzle that Yugoslavia never won the World Cup, but tiny Croatia are now at the cusp.
He is only similar to Boksic in size. Boksic had pace, was very skillful and elegant. Mario is more of a bruiser and workhorse.
Did you read what Mate, a Croatian wrote in page one of this thread? Read below and i quote him: That is exactly what is holding back your zoo called zoogeria.
He's a bit of everything. Ruthlessly opportunistic, skilled, intelligent, and more than willing to dish out and take physical punishment. Every team can use a guy like him.

Yugoslavia never won because, believe it or not, selections were made on ethnic bias. I know some will accuse me of bias, but Serbian players were picked over better Croatian players. Proof is in performance after our break up, as Croatia easily outperforms Serbia, in spite of them having 2x our population.

Intelligently done, Yugoslavia would have won a few WCs.
Imagine Croatia now with Dzeko, Kolarovic, and Xaxa, and Shaqiri? Pretty fearsome.

Well, I dearly hope we can pull it off Sunday. It would mean so much to our people and nation. And give us a boost in staying alive in this world. My sons are being fully immersed in our Croatian heritage...and wearing all red, white, and blue and checkers.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Bouncer, I also apologized that I meant no reference to Nigeria. And that we broke up in blood, which isn't something to envy. And here we are talking about sharing Yugoslav players among the new republics.

I was ultimately giving my answer to a question on why Yugoslavia never won. Nothing more than that.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
Bouncer
Egg
Egg

Post by Bouncer »

mate wrote:Bouncer, I also apologized that I meant no reference to Nigeria. And that we broke up in blood, which isn't something to envy. And here we are talking about sharing Yugoslav players among the new republics.

I was ultimately giving my answer to a question on why Yugoslavia never won. Nothing more than that.
Why should you apologize to anyone for anything Mate? Refer to my response to you in page one.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
mcal wrote:..he's a lucky murthafkr for that goal because defender went to sleep.

fortune favors the brave. He was also lucky that Etebo deflected his ball for the first goal agains Nigeria, lucky that Ekong wrestled him for a PK, lucky that he was able to provide that cross for the goal vs Russia...
...slice and dice, still damn lucky, but France go match-am, those Africans go stand him up :biggrin:
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

mcal wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
mcal wrote:..he's a lucky murthafkr for that goal because defender went to sleep.

fortune favors the brave. He was also lucky that Etebo deflected his ball for the first goal agains Nigeria, lucky that Ekong wrestled him for a PK, lucky that he was able to provide that cross for the goal vs Russia...
...slice and dice, still damn lucky, but France go match-am, those Africans go stand him up :biggrin:
Tongue in cheek, the last African teams Croatia played have been Cameroon, Senegal, and Nigeria. A trend?

:)

Jokes aside, France is good. With superb players of African heritage, among others. It should be a point of pride. Finally, it’s about the individuals on the pitch. All warriors.

It will be a battle.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

I take no pride from their efforts.

Europe is Europe and Africa is Africa, a distinction perhaps lost to certain Francophones, but perhaps not to many Anglophones.

Africa needs to do the deed, not take pride in heritage.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

mate wrote:
mcal wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Tongue in cheek, the last African teams Croatia played have been Cameroon, Senegal, and Nigeria. A trend?

:)

Jokes aside, France is good. With superb players of African heritage, among others. It should be a point of pride. Finally, it’s about the individuals on the pitch. All warriors.

It will be a battle.
...and battle it would be. I'll sit back and enjoy the beautiful game, who wins we congrats them :thumbs:
My teams are out or never qualified. On to the next 4 years.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

My friend, great strikers pounce on half-chances, and know where the net is open. Players like Mandzukic will never dribble the whole opposition before putting the ball in the net. But if you give him half a chance in front of goal, he will bury it. And even the best defenses will, at least once a game, give you that half chance. :idea:
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

ohsee wrote:
My friend, great strikers pounce on half-chances, and know where the net is open. Players like Mandzukic will never dribble the whole opposition before putting the ball in the net. But if you give him half a chance in front of goal, he will bury it. And even the best defenses will, at least once a game, give you that half chance. :idea:
If we had Mandzukic rather than Ighalo we'd have qualified from the group.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

wiseone wrote:Exactly. On what planet is Mandzukic (a slow but workaholic target man with aerial threat) similar to Boksic (a slick speedster with Ferrari pace)?! :shock:
I saw Allen Boskic play live once for Middlesbrough against Chelsea. The things he did off the ball as well as his footballing brain was simply unbelievable. His team mates were too many levels below and I struggled to understand how he coped, he really should never have gone to Middlesbrough.

I have never seen Mandzukic live but he has a fair way to go to be talked about in the same breath as Boskic.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

The YeyeMan wrote:
ohsee wrote:
If we had Mandzukic rather than Ighalo we'd have qualified from the group.
Biko, help me to tell dem.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Boksic could have done a lot more had it not been for constant injuries that blighted his career (he was the Joel Obi or Phil Jones of his era - in terms of injuries, NOT talent!).

I once read some of his coaches say that the strange thing about him was that he never jogged. They watched videos of his play and noticed that he only ever sprinted full pelt or stood still. Nothing in between. He had electric pace though.
Aswani wrote: I saw Allen Boskic play live once for Middlesbrough against Chelsea. The things he did off the ball as well as his footballing brain was simply unbelievable. His team mates were too many levels below and I struggled to understand how he coped, he really should never have gone to Middlesbrough.

I have never seen Mandzukic live but he has a fair way to go to be talked about in the same breath as Boskic.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

What I would give to have had a Boksic on this team. That was the missing ingredient. He was to me like Eto: fast, skilled, smart, and tough enough.

It's obviously hard to produce these kinds of players. For all the size and resources of Germany and England, they don't have anybody like this. And seldom do.

For me, the rarest footballers are:

1) sublime strikers.
2) world class midfield generals.